HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Where did Howard Stern's listeners go?!?!?! (LA Times article)

Old
04-11-2006, 11:08 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 500
Where did Howard Stern's listeners go?!?!?! (LA Times article)

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...dlines-entnews

I can give you one reason why his listeners haven't moved to Sattelite:

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...dParentID=7870

The prices alone for the receivers are one of the major reasons why no one is moving with Howard. Now add the monthly subscription rate on top of that.

His (former) listeners don't have that kind of cash to make the jump with Howard.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

It's not so much the hardware I have a problem with, it's the monthly subscription that sticks in my craw. I like Stern and all, but I'm not going to pay that much to listen to him once or twice a week.

Edit: I just looked at the plans, and it says you can get a "lifetime" subscription for $500. But who's to say that Sirius is even going to be around in two years? What if they merge with XM? Do you really think XM or whatever new company they make are going to honor that?

04-12-2006, 12:04 AM
acr*

Laef Lanedr siriusly needs to step it up for Howard.

acr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 02:02 AM
PolishBingo
King Pierogie IV

For $14 dollars a month XM is a bargin. I'll never go back to FM radio ever. I work 12 hours nights on a 2-2-3 week shift so I can listen to just about any hockey game on the nights I work. WWE Superstar Chris Jericho does a weekly show on the XM metal channel and he made some comments this past week on Diamond David Lee Roth who replaced Howard Stern. I guess he feels bad for Dave because the ratings are like one tenth of what Howard was pulling in when he was at K rock. Now, I never heard Opie and Anthony until I got XM but I like them better than Howard. They make me laugh whereas I rarely laughed at anything on Howards show.

PolishBingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 02:07 AM
PolishBingo
King Pierogie IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...dlines-entnews

I can give you one reason why his listeners haven't moved to Sattelite:

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...dParentID=7870

The prices alone for the receivers are one of the major reasons why no one is moving with Howard. Now add the monthly subscription rate on top of that.
His (former) listeners don't have that kind of cash to make the jump with Howard.

You can go cheap on the one for 50 bucks. That's not much and besides both XM and Sirius both had recievers on sale back during Xmas for 30 bucks.

PolishBingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Rumblick

Face it - Howard was funnier when you didn't have to pay to listen to him.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 12:20 PM
I am Jack's Fish

Send a message via AIM to I am Jack's Fish
Bottom line, it is a challenge to make people pay for something that they are used to getting for free.

BUT...

Satellite Radio (whether it is XM or Sirius) is definitely WORTH IT if one is in a car all day, or in a place where listening to the radio is allowed.

I am Jack's Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahandDylansDad
You can go cheap on the one for 50 bucks. That's not much and besides both XM and Sirius both had recievers on sale back during Xmas for 30 bucks.

What do you mean "the cheap ones"? How many kinds of recievers are there and what is the price range? I'm thinking of tossing the Rome Show and the gang out the window. It's time to get Sirius. (Please Laef, I don't need a 12 page system crash, just a little would be appreciated.)

Nas_Bert_Morr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Slats432

When it comes to Stern, part of the appeal was the "shock" part. Being on satellite means "big deal he said a bad word."

Since he can do what he wants, people aren't shocked anymore. And him by himself isn't enough to get a listener to move to satellite.

If I were to get satellite, it would be because of NHL hockey and the comedy channel. Stern would be a bonus.

But I won't. Not enough time listening to the radio to get it.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 12:35 PM
ACC1224

Stern was funny for about 5 minutes.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 03:21 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
It's not so much the hardware I have a problem with, it's the monthly subscription that sticks in my craw. I like Stern and all, but I'm not going to pay that much to listen to him once or twice a week.

Edit: I just looked at the plans, and it says you can get a "lifetime" subscription for $500. But who's to say that Sirius is even going to be around in two years? What if they merge with XM? Do you really think XM or whatever new company they make are going to honor that?
The "lifetime" subscription is a hoax. It's good for the lifetime of your next three receivers, not the lifetime of your subscription. With the improving technology, not many people keep the same old receivers for years and years. I've been through a number of XM receivers over the course of two years basically because they're becoming much cheaper in price. So after that third Sirius receiver, your lifetime subscription is void.

The receivers are coming down in price and both companies are growing fast, yet still losing mad cash. Sirius spent over $600 million dollars in the Howard Stern project and they had to have expected at least a 1/4 to a 1/2 of Howard's listeners would immediately jump to Sirius. It just hasn't happened. I'm not saying it never will. I think there will be alot of people that will comparison shop and say to themselves "well Sirius has Howard, so that'd be something to check out." But in terms of the "revolutionary radio" that Howard claims to be doing over there, ahh...I've been hearing that it comes up way short. You can't even listen to him right now...he's on his first week long vacation. The first of many, I might add!

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas_Bert_Morr
What do you mean "the cheap ones"? How many kinds of recievers are there and what is the price range? I'm thinking of tossing the Rome Show and the gang out the window. It's time to get Sirius. (Please Laef, I don't need a 12 page system crash, just a little would be appreciated.)
I don't know all the detail of the range, but the lower end FM modulators are around $60-$99. At Christmas, I saw one of the tech stores (Circuit City or some clone there of) that had them free after rebate. I haven't seen that deal since, but the FM modulators are the lowest end.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 07:03 PM
StevenintheATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahandDylansDad
eBay is the motherlode for new and used satellite radio receivers. I picked up my receiver (brand new) for $50 (retail price on it is $125).

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Jack's Fish
Bottom line, it is a challenge to make people pay for something that they are used to getting for free.

BUT...

Satellite Radio (whether it is XM or Sirius) is definitely WORTH IT if one is in a car all day, or in a place where listening to the radio is allowed.
I'm in "in a car all day" camp. The radio in my work truck doesn't get the greatest of reception (especially on the AM dial) in some areas, but with the receiver I have, the only time I have a problem with the reception via the FM modulator is when I am in an area where there is a FM station on the dial where I have my receiver broadcasting on (mainly small town stations 30+ miles out from Atlanta).

StevenintheATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 07:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAckTool
The "lifetime" subscription is a hoax. It's good for the lifetime of your next three receivers, not the lifetime of your subscription. With the improving technology, not many people keep the same old receivers for years and years. I've been through a number of XM receivers over the course of two years basically because they're becoming much cheaper in price. So after that third Sirius receiver, your lifetime subscription is void.

I'm still on my first one and it's been I guess around 18 months. What is the appeal in new receivers?

Mine is a Delphi, which I think is like the first one ever made. With the orange.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
I'm still on my first one and it's been I guess around 18 months. What is the appeal in new receivers?
well, XM is starting to roll our HD channels, for example, which require new hardware. If you like music on the go, new portabiles are always coming out. XM for example has new units out that are more like iPods with live XM in them. If you want to stay ahead of the curve, you want to upgrade.

There are plenty of People with MyFi's that are dying to get the new units.

Also, if you have in-dash units, when you get a new car, you then have a new XM/sirius units.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Flyers26

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514

Mine is a Delphi, which I think is like the first one ever made. With the orange.
I've had my XM SkyFi for 3-1/2 yrs. Love it. Nothing wrong with it, so why bother to upgrade.
The 2 new protable units XM has coming out look awesome, but I can't justify spending 300.00+ on them.

Flyers26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
my sirius radio is 20 months old

I am injured and have not been at work since april 3rd

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote