HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So if Esche starts Tomorrow, is he our playoff Goalie?

Old
04-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

vCash: 500
So if Esche starts Tomorrow, is he our playoff Goalie?

I'd have to say yes. He wasn't stellar last night but good enough. If Hitch starts Eshce tomorrow, I think he's sending a pretty big signal. Or maybe I'm nuts.

Thoughts?

Also, Primeau is still symptom free after 2 straight days...supposedly.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy
I'd have to say yes. He wasn't stellar last night but good enough. If Hitch starts Eshce tomorrow, I think he's sending a pretty big signal. Or maybe I'm nuts.

Thoughts?

Also, Primeau is still symptom free after 2 straight days...supposedly.
he's our playoff goalie... he's won it... it's over.

he was pretty friggin good last night...

first goal... no one cleared the rebound or took the guy that scored the goal.

second goal... beautiful shot by Whitney off of a defensive breakdown.

third goal... deflection right to Crosby's stick.

couldn't do much about any of those.... played great in the closing minutes.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Broad st phantom

yup esche has been a monster lately, right now he's hot so keep him in

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 10:28 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
he's our playoff goalie... he's won it... it's over.

he was pretty friggin good last night...

first goal... no one cleared the rebound or took the guy that scored the goal.

second goal... beautiful shot by Whitney off of a defensive breakdown.

third goal... deflection right to Crosby's stick.

couldn't do much about any of those.... played great in the closing minutes.
I agree all the goals wernt his fault. That Crosby goal was a flat out gift. The Flyers dmen need to take note of that and get on a guy and stick to him man to man, thats whnat toronto has been using and they havent lost in awhile.

that that save he made in the final minutes with the centering pass and the mutiple shots, he looks good. I think we see Esche tomarrow and sat, nitty on sunday and esche on the island...Hitch dosnt want to say otherwise cause he needs a big from him on sunday against the devils

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 12:16 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Yes, Esche is our playoff goalie. Hitch was smart. He let Esche talk, let the 2 goalies have their share of games and it worked itself out.
Esche took the ball and ran with it. Niitty will have his shot soon enough.

swflyers8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Chico is the man, I've said it for a couple weeks now.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 02:44 PM
dalessam

Send a message via AIM to dalessam
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Chico is the man, I've said it for a couple weeks now.
I was saying the same thing and everyone started yelling at me. I love watching people flip-flop.

dalessam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MjD0823
I was saying the same thing and everyone started yelling at me. I love watching people flip-flop.
Not me sir, I've defended Esche since day one.

Old
04-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Teezax

Bar Hasek and brodeur, not many goalies in the east have much playoff experience, so let's hope Esche continues how he left off in his last playoff appearances.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 05:53 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Esche will be the starter come playoff time. Not happy about it, but he will be the starter. Nitty has kind of been off his game the past few games, although the Toronto game wasn't his fault. The team just sucked bum that game.

I'm not concerned about the goaltending come playoff time. It's that horrid defense that I'm worried about. Other than Pitkanen, Desjardins and Meyer (notice our only three mobile defensemen), I'm worried that the others won't be able to keep up. Hatcher couldn't stop a beach ball if his life depended on it and Rathje has that bad hip. Rathje should have had that surgery weeks ago to get that hip repaired, but he didn't. That's a stupid, stupid, stupid move. As well, we have no timetable for when KJ is back. And even if he does come back, I'm expecting him to be rather rusty, so it's not as if he'll make any sort of difference.

The offense I'm fine with simply because it's the playoffs and the playoffs are usually a one line team that can carry you. The fact that the Carter line has really shored itself up as the 2nd line is comforting. However, if they don't get more minutes than the Richards line, then Hitch has clearly lost his mind.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 06:46 PM
goodrev

Esche is going to be the starter, what happened? esche whined to the media, then proceeded to play awesome since. Esche has held this team in a lot of the games they have played rescently and has seemed to finally find his stride while nitty continues to look inconsistent and out of position, i love nitty but i think he is still a year away... they both have their things they need to work on like rebounds for esche and positioning for nitty they both have focus problems and have trouble following the puck but i think hitch was waiting it out to see who would be the hot goalie at seasons end, and at seasons end that appears to be esche

goodrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 06:57 PM
sansan

Esche has been very good lately, so he should start. Niitty's the future and will be the number 1 next year I predict. Flyers also have a couple very good baby goalie prospects in the system. May this be the last year of goalie controversy.

sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Miracle80

Send a message via AIM to Miracle80
Quote:
I'm a Nitty fan, but I've never bashed Esche. I like them both and am thrilled that we have 2 capable goalies going into the playoffs.

Miracle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Gert B Frobe

I like Esche when he's stopping the puck. When he's not - he's a whining ***** that gives up huge rebounds.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Esche will be the starter come playoff time. Not happy about it, but he will be the starter. Nitty has kind of been off his game the past few games, although the Toronto game wasn't his fault. The team just sucked bum that game.

I'm not concerned about the goaltending come playoff time. It's that horrid defense that I'm worried about. Other than Pitkanen, Desjardins and Meyer (notice our only three mobile defensemen), I'm worried that the others won't be able to keep up. Hatcher couldn't stop a beach ball if his life depended on it and Rathje has that bad hip. Rathje should have had that surgery weeks ago to get that hip repaired, but he didn't. That's a stupid, stupid, stupid move. As well, we have no timetable for when KJ is back. And even if he does come back, I'm expecting him to be rather rusty, so it's not as if he'll make any sort of difference.

The offense I'm fine with simply because it's the playoffs and the playoffs are usually a one line team that can carry you. The fact that the Carter line has really shored itself up as the 2nd line is comforting. However, if they don't get more minutes than the Richards line, then Hitch has clearly lost his mind.
i've thought about that... and it has occurred to me that it would have been a potential option to get the labrum fixed in january or whenever. however, i think part of the problem at the time was that we had half of our defense sitting in pressbox and he "could play," so he did... for the team.

who knows if that was the right call or not...

Old
04-12-2006, 10:42 PM
dalessam

Send a message via AIM to dalessam
Quote:
I wasn't trying to single you out, nor did I specifically mean you. I'm just saying posters in general. I've always felt Esche was a good goalie too -- when he just got between the pipes and did his job.

dalessam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 01:08 PM
FlyersFanJS

despite giving up four goals against jersey...he played REALLY well in that game...he is definately the playoff goalie and i think he's clearly the better choice right now

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
despite giving up four goals against jersey...he played REALLY well in that game...he is definately the playoff goalie and i think he's clearly the better choice right now
While I absolutely agree with you, I'm already preparing for all the bandwagoners who will be all over Esche and call for Nitty ALL SUMMER when this team goes out in the first round.

Old
04-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Jester

Quote:
While I absolutely agree with you, I'm already preparing for all the bandwagoners who will be all over Esche and call for Nitty ALL SUMMER when this team goes out in the first round.
this team NEEDS to make a decision about who will be the better goalie long term and make a move based upon that. personally, i think that's going to be Nitty... i think he's a more athletic goalie, and with the new equipment that is extremely important. however, i'm not sure i'm definitely of the opinion that Nitty is going to turn into a premier goaltender in the league... and he clearly has more trade value than Esche if we get to that in the short term.

Old
04-16-2006, 10:38 AM
G-Force

I think Esche will be the starter for the playoffs, however, a weak performance this afternoon against the Devils may change that. The spot is now his to lose.

G-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2006, 05:16 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
I'll support whoever Hitchcock throws out there but let it be on the record I favored Antero for this postseason...

FlyersHomer DM03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2006, 04:03 AM
Drudkh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHomer DM03
I'll support whoever Hitchcock throws out there but let it be on the record I favored Antero for this postseason...

No bandwagoning from me either. If Esche does well, good for the Flyers and I was wrong. But I have maintained my opinion that Nittymaki is the better goaltender throughout the year.

Drudkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2006, 02:22 AM
Strömblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drudkh
No bandwagoning from me either. If Esche does well, good for the Flyers and I was wrong. But I have maintained my opinion that Nittymaki is the better goaltender throughout the year.
indeed. now go get a humorous avatar.

Strömblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drudkh
Nitty hasn't been that great since the Olympic break.

Old
04-18-2006, 08:32 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Nitty hasn't been that great since the Olympic break.
The team for that matter hasn't been great since the Olympic break.

I just don't get this team sometimes. It's like watching a disfunctional family breakdown occur and all what you can do is watch the car wreck about to happen. I'm gonna say this. If we flame out in the first round, it's going to get real ugly real fast in Philadelphia. I'd have to think that Clarke would seriously have to consider resigning from the GM post. As well, you'd also have to wonder whether Hitchcock could tolerate another year of coaching team Jeckyl and Hyde because this team is enough to drive any man or coach to the brink of insanity.

This is just a bad team right now. It would be different if we were only playing mediocre for the final two weeks. The fact that it has been the final two, hell, you could say final three months of the season should be enough to set off alarms that there is something seriously wrong. Injuries or what not, there is a real chemistry problem and there is also a lack of effort. It's very painful to watch sometimes.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote