HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Lunch

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 08:33 AM
Steve

vCash: 500
Leafs Lunch

Did anyone catch Leafs Lunch today? Did Bill Waters say anything about the Gonchar/Gueirn/everyone else rumors, any truth to them etc...

Thanks

Old
10-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Only caught most of the first hour, during which they had Darcy Regier on the phone, then they went on to talk about Pilar and Wellwood. Don't know much beyond that.

Old
10-30-2003, 05:03 PM
Mike1

Marek said the Caps GM shot the rumors about Gonchar down. Bill & Jeff were talking about how it would have a more negative impact on a franchise that has a low attendence already & would be basically telling those remaining fans left to get lost if they were to dump Gonchar.That is all i remember about them talking about the Gonchar stuff.

I didn't hear anything on the Guerin/Matvichuk stuff.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Steve

Thanks guys, I appreciate it

Old
10-30-2003, 06:32 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Mike Penny shot the Gonchar rumours down too, I think last night or two nights ago on Leafs open call or whatever its called.

Old
10-31-2003, 08:54 PM
sluggo*

Ferguson declined to comment on trade talks, though other GM's have said (at least thats how it was reportedi nt he papers) that he is VERY active in trade talks right now and has been shopping Domi around. The Leafs and Caps may be talking about getting a deal done for Gonchar but neither are going to talk about it until its a done deal for two reasons. 1) If they say they are talking and nothing happens they look foolish (and the fans would be ALL OVER Ferguson) and 2) It might upset the players involved. If you were Gonchar and your GM told a newspaper "I'm talking to the Leafs about moving Gonchar" would you really feel like going out and playing for his team?

Bill Watters doesn't think either trade will happen. Guerin makes WAY to much money for the Leafs to take on right now (if they did they would be on the hook for 32 million after this season, becuase Guerin has a couple more years left on his contract), for that to happen the Stars would have to take someone like Nolan, and I don't think anyone really sees that happening. And like it was pointed out before, he doesn't think the Caps CAN trade Gonchar given how weak their defense is at this point.

Old
11-01-2003, 04:31 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Ferguson declined to comment on trade talks, though other GM's have said (at least thats how it was reportedi nt he papers) that he is VERY active in trade talks right now and has been shopping Domi around. The Leafs and Caps may be talking about getting a deal done for Gonchar but neither are going to talk about it until its a done deal for two reasons. 1) If they say they are talking and nothing happens they look foolish (and the fans would be ALL OVER Ferguson) and 2) It might upset the players involved. If you were Gonchar and your GM told a newspaper "I'm talking to the Leafs about moving Gonchar" would you really feel like going out and playing for his team?

Bill Watters doesn't think either trade will happen. Guerin makes WAY to much money for the Leafs to take on right now (if they did they would be on the hook for 32 million after this season, becuase Guerin has a couple more years left on his contract), for that to happen the Stars would have to take someone like Nolan, and I don't think anyone really sees that happening. And like it was pointed out before, he doesn't think the Caps CAN trade Gonchar given how weak their defense is at this point.
Besides that didn't Guerin say he wouldn't play in Toronto or something?
And for Gonchar I don't think you'll see them make any kind of arrangements of trading him until they are that far out of the playoff race and they decide to go after the 1st over all pick Mr. Russia himself.

Old
11-01-2003, 06:44 AM
sluggo*

Watters said when they talked to Guerin when he was an UFA that he wanted to stay in the USA if possible and they had offers from two US teams. He said the agent said if their talks with those 2 teams didn't end with Guerin signing a contract they would talk to the Leafs. Basically the Leafs were third on his list of teams.

Old
11-01-2003, 06:49 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

if Bill Watters was such a hockey wiz he'd still be in the hockey business.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:11 AM
sluggo*

Watters was let go to clean house for the new GM, so he could bring in his own assistent GM.

The only people who try to claim hes not credible or doesn't know anything about hockey (and how you can even TRY to claim that about a guy like him beyond me) are those thought they knew what was going on or thought they knew Hockey and he set the record straight, and they were wrong.

Old
11-01-2003, 09:14 AM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
if Bill Watters was such a hockey wiz he'd still be in the hockey business.
Ive never read a truer statement.

Closed Thread