HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Would you sign Chara at 8 millions ?

View Poll Results: Would you sign Chara at 8 millions ?
Yes 55 22.92%
No 185 77.08%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2006, 01:05 PM
5 man unit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I would imagine that Gilette is going to give Gainey a budget for player salaries that won't be in the $45M range. Probablely more in the $37M range.

Just my though.
A team that sells out every game should be at or near the max. If they leave 8 M in cap space on the table, not only will there be a revolt, but all this talk about managing cap space is moot. It's back to the old days of every team managing their own budget.

Old
04-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201127
A team that sells out every game should be at or near the max. If they leave 8 M in cap space on the table, not only will there be a revolt, but all this talk about managing cap space is moot. It's back to the old days of every team managing their own budget.

Well I won't disagree with your statement, but I would be really surprised if the habs payroll next year was over $40M.

Also, granted the habs make alot of money off ticket sales, but you have to remember they earn money in Canadian, and pay their players in American. also they pay more taxes than all the American teams combined, so.....

04-13-2006, 01:13 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
Well I won't disagree with your statement, but I would be really surprised if the habs payroll next year was over $40M.

Also, granted the habs make alot of money off ticket sales, but you have to remember they earn money in Canadian, and pay their players in American. also they pay more taxes than all the American teams combined, so.....
I don't think they leave more than 3M in cap space unused.
Would a long playoff run change your mind?

Old
04-13-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
That makes no sense, because spending at or near the cap doesn't guarantee success, and can severely handicap the team during the season...look at other sports where they have caps...cap flexibility is the most important asset in system like this...

Old
04-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGALINSKY
i agree. $8 mill for one player is way too risky. look at what happened with khabby in CHI. i'd rather diversify my portfolio than have it tied down in one asset. (damn, 4 years of JMSB at concordia paid off!)
I agree.

Old
04-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Teufelsdreck

George Gillett would blanch at the suggestion of $8M. Gainey is too savvy even to mention it. IMO it would make more sense to trade for someone who isn't a UFA. While getting a first class Dman may be the first priority, there are other needs that have to be attended to. As numerous posters have opined, left wing is a position that needs repair. The goalie situation is also in flux.

Old
04-13-2006, 01:21 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
That makes no sense, because spending at or near the cap doesn't guarantee success, and can severely handicap the team during the season...look at other sports where they have caps...cap flexibility is the most important asset in system like this...
Cap flexibility doesn't mean that your payroll is not near the cap. It means that your payroll is not preset in the offseason. You wouldn't want to have the whole cap locked up in long term contracts. The balance and flexibilty you refer to comes from identifying your core, and having a mix of long and short term contracts.

I am not saying that the Habs should start the year at the max. They should leave some wiggle room. But 8M is WAY too much.

Old
04-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Darz

Quote:
Would a long playoff run change your mind?
I don't think it matters what I, or any fan for that matter, thinks. It is economics. If you think GG isn't running the habs to make a profit your crazy. I would imagine that he will give Gainey a decent budget to help the team out, but isn't going to allow BG to spend whatever he wants.

I believe during the past offseason, Gainey eluded to the fact that the habs had a budget for players salaries that was less than the league cap numbers, so I would assume the same will hold true next season.

Old
04-13-2006, 01:23 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
George Gillett would blanch at the suggestion of $8M. Gainey is too savvy even to mention it. IMO it would make more sense to trade for someone who isn't a UFA. While getting a first class Dman may be the first priority, there are other needs that have to be attended to. As numerous posters have opined, left wing is a position that needs repair. The goalie situation is also in flux.
I completely disagree with this. I think if BG told GG that the way to win was to sign Chara to 8M/season, he would do it. That being said, I don't thin BG would ever say that.

Old
04-13-2006, 01:27 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
I don't think it matters what I, or any fan for that matter, thinks. It is economics. If you think GG isn't running the habs to make a profit your crazy. I would imagine that he will give Gainey a decent budget to help the team out, but isn't going to allow BG to spend whatever he wants.

I believe during the past offseason, Gainey eluded to the fact that the habs had a budget for players salaries that was less than the league cap numbers, so I would assume the same will hold true next season.
I don't remember it that way. I thought he said they needed to keep room under the cap for late season aquisitions, and injuries.

Old
04-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
In a word: yes.

Old
04-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see what happens, anyway. Right now, the payroll for next year projects to be around $34M. (assuming RFAs sign for QO-like numbers, Bouillon, Huet, and Bulis come back for marginal raises, Sundstrom goes home - not all good assumptions, I know).

We might have $10M in cap space to play with if the cap goes up as much as rumoured.

However, it's still 2007-08 which will be the kicker, IMO. Rivet, Souray, and Markov all go UFA then. While at various points it used to seem like Rivet and Souray were overpaid, I think that the current market is actually going to end up seeing them deserving raises. It's probably safe to say that Bonk and Zednik's $4.3M will be down, but then the other guys who are RFAs this year will hopefully be up too (esp. Ryder and Higgins). So at worst, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that for 2007-08 we'll need to be able to cough up at least $6M more than our current payroll, just to keep the same team.

Take that $6M(ish) away from the $10M projected cap space for next season, and maybe we're only looking at $4-5M to play with this summer. Or a payroll of $39-40M.

Wild *** guesswork all... it'll be a lot easier for Gainey to project all this knowing what he knows about what the team is planning. But elements of guesswork aside, it does seem to make some very rough sense, and at least suggests that an $8M player is probably not on the horizon, and that we probably would be smart to leave a really healthy chunk of cap space in reserve for 2007-08.

Old
04-13-2006, 02:50 PM
5 man unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
It'll be interesting to see what happens, anyway. Right now, the payroll for next year projects to be around $34M. (assuming RFAs sign for QO-like numbers, Bouillon, Huet, and Bulis come back for marginal raises, Sundstrom goes home - not all good assumptions, I know).

We might have $10M in cap space to play with if the cap goes up as much as rumoured.

However, it's still 2007-08 which will be the kicker, IMO. Rivet, Souray, and Markov all go UFA then. While at various points it used to seem like Rivet and Souray were overpaid, I think that the current market is actually going to end up seeing them deserving raises. It's probably safe to say that Bonk and Zednik's $4.3M will be down, but then the other guys who are RFAs this year will hopefully be up too (esp. Ryder and Higgins). So at worst, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that for 2007-08 we'll need to be able to cough up at least $6M more than our current payroll, just to keep the same team.

Take that $6M(ish) away from the $10M projected cap space for next season, and maybe we're only looking at $4-5M to play with this summer. Or a payroll of $39-40M.

Wild *** guesswork all... it'll be a lot easier for Gainey to project all this knowing what he knows about what the team is planning. But elements of guesswork aside, it does seem to make some very rough sense, and at least suggests that an $8M player is probably not on the horizon, and that we probably would be smart to leave a really healthy chunk of cap space in reserve for 2007-08.
The only problem with leaving that much cap space is the possibility of the cap going up again. At this time last year most "experts" were predicting that the cap would go down, and the Habs still just about maxed out.

Old
04-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Teufelsdreck

Chara 8, Koivu 4.75, Kovalev 4.5. That's 17.25. That doesn't leave much for the rest of the team.

Old
04-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
8 Millions is pricy but if you got a chance at such a huge player, you pay the price and look at the options after...

With the cap going up, a few player leaving the habs and the young guys we got (who are cheap). The habs are probably one of the very few «good» team that could ADD such a player without having to sacrifice too much.

Because we are very young, we have the luxury to have some players with lower cap hit than their actual on-ice return... And next year, we'll be adding 1 or 2 more.
_______

Obviously, i'd feel much more ok with a Chara at 6M which would even leave some cap-room for the habs.

Old
04-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHabs93
Nope ... I'd consider it at 4.5-5 ...

You'd consider it at 4.5-5?!?!?!?!?!?

Chara will NOT go for under 6 million. Anywhere. And he's worth it.

Chara would be an AWESOME fit for Montreal IMO. I don't know what the cap situation is with you guys, but I'd sign Chara for 6 million without a second thought, and would go to 6.5 million easily. He's a franchise defenseman.

Old
04-13-2006, 03:46 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Yep!

He's really big, he has mad skills and has a good shot. He's good defensively as well.

With Chara no idiot will call us ''smurfs''

Old
04-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One
Yep!

He's really big, he has mad skills and has a good shot. He's good defensively as well.

With Chara no idiot will call us ''smurfs''

Exactly. A team with a reputation (whether deserved or not) for being undersized would easily eliminate that stigma.

Plus, he's got tremendous talent. He's not just big, as you pointed out.

Old
04-13-2006, 04:22 PM
clvmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst
I have read in the ''Journal de Montreal'' that Chara want to sign at 8 millions . If your Bob Gainey , would you take a chance to offer him a 8 millions ? If yes how much year you will offer to him .

IMO , we could offer him 8 millions , 3 years .

Waiting for your opinion .
Ain't seen a player yet worth 8 million, what are we going to do when
he decides to get lazy on us, like kovy was against Buffalo.
Chara is worth about 2.5- 3 mil

Old
04-13-2006, 04:26 PM
BLONG7

I do not see Chara as a guy you pay to be #1 salary on your team...no way does anyone go over 5.5M per season...he is just not worth it...just my opinion.

Old
04-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
No, I wouldn't... but then again, what use do I have for him? Maybe as a Lurch-type butler, but my house isn't big enough to warrant that.

The Habs, on the other hand, might find Chara more valuable than would I.

Old
04-13-2006, 05:15 PM
StanleyCH25

I'd definately think long and hard about signing Chara. For the right price, I think he would be an invaluable addition to the team. I strongly believe that his on ice ability might rub off on Komisarek and help develop Komisarek into an even more impressive dman. I think most of you can remember how futile Chara's offense was when he first hit the league but now he's shown that he can setup plays and has a monster of a shot that he can place in the top shelf.

At anything under 7 million, I think about it and see how it fits with the team for the next few years. At anything above 7 million, I probably say no unless it's only for 2 or 3 years and doesn't prevent us from signing the rest of our players (including those who might be due for raises in the years he is signed for).

Old
04-13-2006, 05:20 PM
hockey_nut

i'd rather go after 2 players for $4M each... or 3 players at $2.6M-$3M each

Old
04-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Mike8

Souray-Chara
Markov-Komisarek
Bouillon-Rivet

Awfully nice D, but Montreal isn't desperate for an intimidating, #1 defenseman right now. There are greater needs.

Old
04-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Alouette_19

Chara NOOOOOOO

But Redden YESSSSSSSS

If BG can get that guy do it...imagine Redden and Markov

Closed Thread