HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings part ways with Avery (L.A. Times)

Old
04-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Captain Ron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
Yup and you're probably gonna end up liking the change.
Kanko get's under guys skin much like Avery.
Kanko fights and stands up for his team mates much like Avery.
Kanko has offensive skill much like Avery.
Kanko's got speed much like Avery.
Unlike Avery, Kanko doesn't take stupid penalties.

Kanko's numbers for this season:
58GP 15G 11A 26PTS -7 48PIMs

Don't be fooled by the low PIMS, Kanko is one tough SOB...
The -7 isn't as bad as it sounds when you consider some of the linemates he's had and the situations he's been used in.

I have no doubt that Kanko will fill in nicely on this team....but to lose a 26 year old player who actually helped the team with no compensation is what pisses me off more than anything.....

The way it is looking now is the Kings lost all 3 of these young guys with really nothing of value in return......

Jeff Tambellini
Denis Grebeshkov
Sean Avery

I guess this is a testament to how bad of a GM Taylor really is.....even average GM's can get a return for their cast offs.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 01:03 PM
FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
His replacement's name is Petr Kanko, he'll be fine, trust me...
I dont think Kanko will be a guy who can put in almost 40 points. 25-30 range for sure.

As for Avery I wish him the best in his future endevors. If he can just not be as honest as he was this year he will be fine. The penalitys will follow him as I see him as a player refs look to call something on everytime hes on the ice. If he was a cancer I think team improvement on ice would be seen in the last 3 games.

Dare I say we see the NHL do what baseball did to Canseco The writing has been on the wall for conspriacy theorist ever since he got fined for diving and has subsequentially been the only one to have his fine mentioned in the public

FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 01:03 PM
took420s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
I have no doubt that Kanko will fill in nicely on this team....but to lose a 26 year old player who actually helped the team with no compensation is what pisses me off more than anything.....

The way it is looking now is the Kings lost all 3 of these young guys with really nothing of value in return......

Jeff Tambellini
Denis Grebeshkov
Sean Avery

I guess this is a testament to how bad of a GM Taylor really is.....even average GM's can get a return for their cast offs.
I said that I did not want him traded at the deadline, but if you were to tell me that he would just get cut loose for nothing? I would have changed my mind.

...Unless we did try and found no takers

took420s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by took420s

...Unless we did try and found no takers
If somebody could unload a player like Sopel at the deadline and get a decent return...I am sure some GM would have taken a chance on Avery.

Old
04-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I wish the Avery for Arnason rumor had gone through now...

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 01:40 PM
took420s

Quote:
If somebody could unload a player like Sopel at the deadline and get a decent return...I am sure some GM would have taken a chance on Avery.
Well to be fair they did have to package Parrish to ship him out.

Maybe the Kings were unwilling to do the same?

Old
04-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Change your avatar

Yeah!!! what he said!!!

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Johnny Utah

I don't know from what I saw of Kanko he doesn't seem to have the impact Avery has on a game. He disapeared for most of the games and didn't really stir it up. You think he would've tried to since this was his big taste of the show.

If Kanko can barely score 15 goals in the AHL, there is no way he is put up Avery type numbers in the NHL....

Johnny Utah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
I don't know from what I saw of Kanko he doesn't seem to have the impact Avery has on a game. He disapeared for most of the games and didn't really stir it up. You think he would've tried to since this was his big taste of the show.

If Kanko can barely score 15 goals in the AHL, there is no way he is put up Avery type numbers in the NHL....
Avery's high in the AHL was only 14 goals.

Old
04-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
I guess another positive of this is not having Dion Mustard reminding us here on a regular basis how much he hates Avery,

Old
04-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
I guess another positive of this is not having Dion Mustard reminding us here on a regular basis how much he hates Avery,
Indeed.

Old
04-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:

I don't know....I will kind of miss having the Mustard around.

Old
04-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Riposte!

The loss of weak 25 foot wrist shots that never score versus giving away Mathieu Schneider away for free. Hmmmm....

Ironically, I just traded Avery and a pick last night for Martin Erat in my NHL 06 dynasty.

Riposte! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 02:32 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceoffsRLikeWins4Us
Helped get rid of the guy that we all wanted to see gone.

He was the only guy.. The only guy, Osprey, that showed any signs of heart at all in the second half of the season. And now we release him..
I don't care if every single Kings fan wanted Andy Murray fired, if you are a player, you don't tank the season to get your coach fired. Praising guys like Avery, JR, and Luc for starting a rebellion to get Murray fired but also cost the team a playoff spot isn't anything a player deserves praise for. They put themselves over the goals of the team. I don't know about you but I'd rather have 23 players unhappy with Murray that sucked it up and earned a playoff spot than 23 players that like their new coach but aren't going to make the playoffs because they decided to get the coach fired.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 02:34 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings
I don't care if every single Kings fan wanted Andy Murray fired, if you are a player, you don't tank the season to get your coach fired. Praising guys like Avery, JR, and Luc for starting a rebellion to get Murray fired but also cost the team a playoff spot isn't anything a player deserves praise for. They put themselves over the goals of the team. I don't know about you but I'd rather have 23 players unhappy with Murray that sucked it up and earned a playoff spot than 23 players that like their new coach but aren't going to make the playoffs because they decided to get the coach fired.
Since when did Avery tank the season?

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
Since when did Avery tank the season?

I agree.....out of all the players I would accuse of tanking on this team.....Avery woould be last on the list.

Old
04-13-2006, 02:45 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:

Jeff Tambellini
Denis Grebeshkov
Sean Avery

This team is the real Disney club. We're just an LA. Talking about getting run like Mickey Mouse. THREE GAMES LEFT!
We just shot ourselves in the foot in a huge way. we'll be lucky to get a box of used jimmies for this guy. I don't agree with what happened. But just keep him at home for the next three games. Management has been a joke, and I hope Mark Hardly is gone next year. we lost on ice quality and that's all I care about......for nothing!

swinginutter* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 03:16 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

*chant* bbbuuuulllllssshiiiiitttt *chant*

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Randall Graves*

This is a step in the right direction for all his 'heart' that doesn't make up for 72 minor penalties.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 03:20 PM
shaayar78

Send a message via AIM to shaayar78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Our team is not in shables, it's ****ed. I have always liked Avery, I've taken the good with all the bad, but I knew it was only a matter of time before he walked himself out the door. Too bad.

Thanks Sean, it's been real.

I agree. I thought AM needed to go, not cause I thought he was a bad coach, cuz the these players had just tuned him out. And I liked Avery before, but his actions were just plain STUPID!! Guys like Darcy Tucker, Fedoruk, Neil, Domi can all be great agitators, but they don't go around opening their mouth stupididly or arguing with authority!! And I'm 100% sure the team was tired of his ediotness, cuz Kings are getting a bad rep cuz of this guy as well.....AND SOMEONE please again Remind FACEOFFSaREliKE...to understand the game better and it players better and NOT to speak for all the Kings fans. Avery was NOT going to stop and will NOT stop being who he is....a BIG DISTRACTION!!!

shaayar78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Fripp

Quote:
Originally Posted by took420s
Yep...any way you slice it the talent/speed on this team just got worse.
And that's the bottom line. I'm getting tired of the people who've watched two Kings games all year chiming in whenever an Avery topic pops up. And really ... who's the drama queen ... Avery the dancing monkey, or the player that lets someone's off-ice behavior affect their game and/or personal happiness? Message to the rest of the team: you're not going to like every teammate ... suck it up and focus on your game.

Fripp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 03:31 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaayar78
I agree. I thought AM needed to go, not cause I thought he was a bad coach, cuz the these players had just tuned him out. And I liked Avery before, but his actions were just plain STUPID!! Guys like Darcy Tucker, Fedoruk, Neil, Domi can all be great agitators, but they don't go around opening their mouth stupididly or arguing with authority!! And I'm 100% sure the team was tired of his ediotness, cuz Kings are getting a bad rep cuz of this guy as well.....AND SOMEONE please again Remind FACEOFFSaREliKE...to understand the game better and it players better and NOT to speak for all the Kings fans. Avery was NOT going to stop and will NOT stop being who he is....a BIG DISTRACTION!!!
A distraction to who? Hardy is an idiot. None of us know what really happened. But Avery was probably fed up with all the minor BS. He's like sand paper, but his heart is going in the right direction. He needs to learn control, but we just lost a huge piece of the puzzle with this club and for what? In on-ice tissy fit. To me he should have got punished with the club, but we completely blew it again with this one.

swinginutter* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 03:40 PM
paincorp

I've been a fan of Avs since he came over and have defended him as much as possible. Even I can't justify his actions as of late. He did this to himself and I'm pissed at him for it.

The Kings have had TONS of problems since December. Injuries, lack of aggressive play, injuries, spotty goaltending, injuries, defense, injuries, leadership, injuries..... they all took a toll in destroying the great start to the season. Without the first 20 games, we'd be St. Louis. Our problems have very little to do with Avery. Infact, half the time, it's his line that sparks us back in the game!

Avery did this to himself. If he's as angry as some reports make him out to be, he'll be dead in a few years if he doesn't get help. Dude is hiding some tragedy in his past he can't let go of. I pray he figures it out.

If the rest of the team is letting Avery's antics affect their play, shame on those so-called 'professionals'. They got to the NHL by focusing on THEIR play, not others. The Kings as a whole not producing is not Avery's fault whatsoever. Nor is it AM's, DT's or the rest of the coaching staff. IT'S THE DAMN PLAYERS! Hardy said it best during the 3rd period of the last San Jose game: 'These guys have to play with passion if they want to win. We need to see that these guys want to win in order to move forward'. I haven't seen any passion, has anyone here seen any passion lately? I've seen it in Anaheim. Don't tell me that is the work of Brian Burke and Randy Carlyle as they don't suit up to play. Motivators don't 'DO' they 'INSPIRE'. Only the players 'DO' and good players/leaders 'INSPIRE' as well.

Let's just put the blame where it belongs. Avery is gone and it's his own fault. I'll miss his play and in reading some of the reviews on 'The MadMan' Kanko, hopefully he'll fill the void. Avery has nobody to blame but himself and the Kings gave him plenty of chances to succeed in this league with them. Our problems lie within the psyche of the players we are paying to play with PASSION! For once, I'd like to see some real disappointment and anger in a post game interview with a Kings player after a loss. Show me as a fan how these things affect you so I'm not thinking my team is full of a bunch of passive primadonnas. PR is fine, but this is a game of emotions, whether you're in LA, Detroit, Toronto, or Florida. I haven't seen one iota of passion since December and I put 100% of that on the 'Professional' players.

EBell has been sick of this after 5 seasons? We'll I'm sick of it after 26 seasons. I'm sure there are fans here that have suffered longer. I'd like to have a Stanley before I frikkin' die and I'm only 36 and worried it'll never happen! At least EBell can do something about it, we as fans cannot.

paincorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 04:02 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 14200
I like the Kings more already.

It is a shame that people cant stand to tune in and cheer for the likes of a Robitaille simply because they cant stand to see Avery playing on the same ice with him.

This is a great move.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 04:02 PM
took420s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fripp
And that's the bottom line. I'm getting tired of the people who've watched two Kings games all year chiming in whenever an Avery topic pops up. And really ... who's the drama queen ... Avery the dancing monkey, or the player that lets someone's off-ice behavior affect their game and/or personal happiness? Message to the rest of the team: you're not going to like every teammate ... suck it up and focus on your game.
Maybe its just me...but the NHL just does not seem to like "colorful" players such as Avery. If this was any other sport he would probably be hailed as someone who "does it his way", but this is the NHL where all players must remain anonymous and keep quiet.

They like the $ that is generated by players like Avery but publically they act like anyone who goes against the norm is wrong. Anyone who says Avery was "just a punk" or whatever never watched him play a whole game, just the clips.

All I know is that I hope he signs with someone far far away...So I don't have to be reminded of how good he really is.