HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Klatt Feels "Rejected" by 'Nucks

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 10:33 AM
Thalia

vCash: 500
Klatt Feels "Rejected" by 'Nucks

Quote:
"You know what, to be honest with you, I spent quite a bit of the summer trying to figure that out," Klatt says of the Canucks' decision not to re-sign him this past summer. "I think the biggest thing for me at one point was to just try and finally turn the page and kind of leave it at what happened. I don't know why things went the way they did."
Interesting article. Too bad things didn't work out for Klatt here but it seems as though he's doing good in LA... doesn't miss the rain, enjoys the sunshine etc.

I predict a hatty for Klatty tonight! Although, Naslund will get four.

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/spor...F-6F1A80B034AE

Old
10-30-2003, 10:49 AM
Matty

I'm betting it was a very tough decision by Burke not to really pursue re-signing Klatt. But in the end, Burke's job and loyalty is to the overall team.

Arvedsson is an upgrade on Klatt especially on the defensive end of things. And Keane provides leadership (including the all-important 'rings') at a much cheaper price.

Old
10-30-2003, 11:00 AM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

I just think it's interesting that we replaced Klatt on the Sedin line with King and Klatt became a King!

Old
10-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecca13
Kind of reminds me of the girlfriend that won't leave you alone. It was good while it lasted but you found a better replacement; sure she'll cost you a little more but she's a helluva lot better in the sack.

Old
10-30-2003, 11:34 AM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Klatt decided not to sign with Vancouver.

Old
10-30-2003, 12:26 PM
C'nuckleHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty
I'm betting it was a very tough decision by Burke not to really pursue re-signing Klatt. But in the end, Burke's job and loyalty is to the overall team.

Arvedsson is an upgrade on Klatt especially on the defensive end of things. And Keane provides leadership (including the all-important 'rings') at a much cheaper price.
It wasn't Klatt or Averdson. It was a decision between Klatt & May. May is the sorry replacement for Klatt. Burke's offer to Klatt was an insult and he rightfully walked. IMO Keane doesn't have Klatt's grit or toughness, and they're equal in the leadership department. Everyone's value of Keane's jewelry reminds me of how we overvalued Messier's leadership.

Old
10-30-2003, 12:37 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexxy27
Arvedsson is really lighting it up this year alright. 1 whole goal so far this season. If you call that an upgrade you are dreaming pal!
And at this rate Kovalchuk will have 110 goals.

You do realize the season just started 3 weeks ago.

Fact is you got Keane + Arvedson for the money Klatt wanted. And Arvedson is a better player. Klatt is getting #1 line ice time in LA and Arvy is in a checking role.

Old
10-30-2003, 12:46 PM
Rageinthecage

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'nuckleHead
It wasn't Klatt or Averdson. It was a decision between Klatt & May. May is the sorry replacement for Klatt. Burke's offer to Klatt was an insult and he rightfully walked. IMO Keane doesn't have Klatt's grit or toughness, and they're equal in the leadership department. Everyone's value of Keane's jewelry reminds me of how we overvalued Messier's leadership.
Wrong on all counts. Just because May and Klatt were dealt with contract-wise around the same time and came with a similiar price tag, doesn't mean May is Klatt's replacement.

Arvedson is the experienced forward with good forechecking skills, excellent defensive play, and about 35-40 point potential. This is Klatt's replacement and is an upgrade.

May still brings that element of toughness that everyone claims we lack. How would you like the team without both May and Langdon (and don't even try to reply that we would have been better off with Langdon). May hasn't fought much so far, but it hasn't been needed yet. He'll come in handy eventually and is a good fit on the 4th anyways.

How can you doubt Keane's leadership skills and experience? Has anyone else on the roster won any Cups? This intangible does actually have value come playoff time. He's cheap and spending half the time in the pressbox, so what's your beef? You'd rather have a young Moose forward playing only 40 games a year?

Klatt isn't equal to Keane in the leadership department and isn't any more gritty either. Klatt was a great addition to our team the last few seasons and helped in the locker room immensely, but guess what, so was Messier. Ask Naslund the impact the Moose had on his career. And ridiculously inflated contracts (Messier) are irrelevant in this particular argument. That was McCaw's fault, not Messier's. He's been washed up since '94, but his leadership in his tenure here was never in question.

Old
10-30-2003, 12:56 PM
jeffbrown

I'm a Klatt fan and I would have loved that he stayed, but it's really time to move on.

Old
10-30-2003, 02:10 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise
Fact is you got Keane + Arvedson for the money Klatt wanted.
Um, no. Arvedson makes 1.5 million alone, 300K more than Klatt wanted. Add Keane's 500K, and you're 800K over the price for Klatt.

Klatt isn't whining about anything. He's playing the 'Nucks, he's simply answering the questions the reporters are asking.

Klatt did everything he could to stay. When the Canucks didn't want to do a longer deal, he came back to them with a one year offer. Burkie still wasn't interested.

You can argue whether it was a good move to get rid of him, whether he's needed here or not, the replacements are better etc, but you can't say it was Klatt's decision to leave, it's simply not true.

Old
10-30-2003, 02:14 PM
Fedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexxy27
Arvedsson is really lighting it up this year alright. 1 whole goal so far this season. If you call that an upgrade you are dreaming pal!
Arvedson was not aqcuired to score goals. Neither was Klatt here to score goals.

Old
10-30-2003, 02:46 PM
Hobo

vCash:
Player movement is part of a professional career. Even the Great One played for four teams (five if you include Indy).

They offered Klatter a decent one year deal which was a clear message the team values what he could offer today, but had concerns going forward. The Canucks need some roster space for the Kings, Reids and Fedorovs, or the players like Keane or Slegr you might pick up cheap along the way. King and Keane together cost about what Klatt would this year, and King has a long-term upside potential.

I don't like this "gee shucks I don't know what happened there" footsy with the press. He knows the Canucks saw him as having limited upside and he went after better money from a team where he fit more clearly into their longer-term plans. I wish he'd just stick to saying how much he misses the boys and understands his best career option (if he hopes to put his five kids through college) was with LA.

Loved him as a Canuck, glad he is having a great start, but ..... buh-bye and get over it.

Old
10-30-2003, 02:56 PM
Impossibles

Why don't we just bump up the old "TK signs with LA" thread?

Old
10-30-2003, 02:57 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Personally, I thought Klatt was one of the more over-rated Canucks. He contributed 16 goals playing on what was supposed to be a scoring line (but wasn't ) and he wasn't good enough defensively to be put on a checking line like we did with Arvedson. Grit/leadership was the only intangible he brought, and Keane and May bring that in spades.

Old
10-30-2003, 03:27 PM
Riven

I think Klatt was discouraged (if you like) from coming back for the same reason that ol' Backup Bob Essensa was let go.

Essensa was released because Burke figured he stood in the way of Dan Cloutier's development. For Cloutier to take on the starter mentality, he had to be pushed out into the limelight without any safety net. Essensa was the safety net. Cloutier knew that as long as Bob was there he could screw up and the backup would come in to clean up the mess.

Ditto with the Sedins. Whenever things weren't working out, Crawford reunited them with Klatt. Trent had become their comfortable safety net.

I don't think it is any accident that the Sedins have stepped it up a notch on Klatt's departure. I even suspect that Burke and Crawford were praying that Jason King would pan out. It gives the Sedins the opportunity to take on the big brother role, further promoting their maturity as NHL players.

Old
10-30-2003, 03:40 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riven
Ditto with the Sedins. Whenever things weren't working out, Crawford reunited them with Klatt. Trent had become their comfortable safety net.
I don't know, the Sedins seemed to be Klatt's "safety net" all to frequently last season. If anything, I think Klatt's lack of offensive creativty and talent held the Sedins back last year, letting Klatt go paved the way for the twins to have someone with some more offensive creativity to play on their line.

Old
10-30-2003, 03:43 PM
Hobo

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
I don't know, the Sedins seemed to be Klatt's "safety net" all to frequently last season. If anything, I think Klatt's lack of offensive creativty and talent held the Sedins back last year, letting Klatt go paved the way for the twins to have someone with some more offensive creativity to play on their line.
Sure looks like it so far.

Old
10-30-2003, 05:01 PM
Vman

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'nuckleHead
I rather have Klatt on the 4th line than BRAD MAY...

Old
10-30-2003, 07:32 PM
Riven

How do you know Keane hasn't provided much in the way of leadership?

Old
10-30-2003, 08:05 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Klatt>>May

May was a healthy scratch tonight God he sucks...

Old
10-30-2003, 08:18 PM
Riven

I don't think May sucks. And, I don't think his sitting out a game is any reflection on the caliber of his play.

With the depth on this team, one good forward and one good defenceman have to sit out every night. Chubarov, Keane, King, Ruutu and May have all had a turn in the press box. Before the end of the year, I expect you will see all kinds of players will take a surprise night off. I can even see a Markus Naslund or Todd Bertuzzi getting a rest, if they have some sort of minor ding.

And why not sit players out? Why grind everybody down to the nub in the regular season? The idea is to finish well up in the standings, but have some jump left for the playoffs. So, give everybody a rest from time to time and maybe it will make a difference in the end.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Yammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo
I just think it's interesting that we replaced Klatt on the Sedin line with King and Klatt became a King!
Clev-ah! Veddy clevah.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:48 PM
Yammer

My belief is also of the variety that the Canucks would be better off with Klatt than Keane as the fourth line RW.

But, it simply wasn't to be. We can see that the powers that be wanted an upgrade with the Sedins. We have it in King (along with self-upgraded Sedins), and you can see the benefit.

Klatt was offered fourth-line dollars; $1.5M for 2 years. (That's about what Trevor Letowski is getting from the Blue Jackets.)

He didn't take it. He thought he was better -- so do Los Angeles.

Everyone wins, ultimately, because Keane and Ruutu are platooning that spot, and I wouldn't feel either out of place in a grinding playoff style series.

To have May on top of that as your quasi-enforcer is just gravy. May is genuinely smart with the puck, and can role-model those skills as much as a 4th line Klatt would have. Neither is counted on for points. May also intimidates, which is why Klatt got the penalty minutes singled out by management.

Old
10-30-2003, 09:04 PM
quat
winsome, loathsome

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to quat
It's kind of (un)fortunate that the Canucks no longer needed a guy like Klatt on the team. He's a great energy guy, strong, and not afraid to take it to the net. But he's not quite as tough as Ruutu, can't fight like May, isn't as defensive as Arvedsson, and doesn't quite have the hands, skill and ice vision to play on the CAnucks second line. I reall think that's all there is to it. The CAnucks now have a lot of players that are good in certain areas, and no longer need to fill holes with guys that aren't necessarily the best at any one position. Glad he's still playing a strong game in LA. Really sorry to see him take that wicked high stick from Ohlund at the end of the game though... ouch!

Old
10-31-2003, 04:53 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Um, no. Arvedson makes 1.5 million alone, 300K more than Klatt wanted. Add Keane's 500K, and you're 800K over the price for Klatt.

Klatt isn't whining about anything. He's playing the 'Nucks, he's simply answering the questions the reporters are asking.

Klatt did everything he could to stay. When the Canucks didn't want to do a longer deal, he came back to them with a one year offer. Burkie still wasn't interested.

You can argue whether it was a good move to get rid of him, whether he's needed here or not, the replacements are better etc, but you can't say it was Klatt's decision to leave, it's simply not true.
Wasnt Klatt asking for 1.5??? Could be wrong.

Either way it still worked out well for Vancouver.

Closed Thread