HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What is wrong with this quote?

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 10:45 AM
OYLer

vCash: 500
What is wrong with this quote?

"Yeah, I mean, I don't think our team is in a state of panic," said defenceman Eric Brewer. "We know what we need to do; we know we need to regroup.

"Everyone's aware we need to stick together and stay positive, and we'll get through it. It's three games (in a row), it's not 13, and you know, you get two quick wins and everything is fine again.

"I mean, it's not easy to get two wins, but at the same time it's quite feasible and quite manageable."
(source: United they stand, united they fall Oilers' all-or-nothing-at-all style means every player must give 100 per cent each night for the team to succeed, taken from EDMONON JOURNAL article http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sport...D-3953A391CFD3

Had Brewer said: We win the next three (3) games, to make for the three (3) game losing strike, I would have been much happier. It is this diminished vision of acceptable expectation I find so galling. Winning two (2) games only get the Oilers back to 500 hockey and then it is OK to maybe lose again and be sub 500 again.

I still think Eric should be speaking to the press from right inside the pressbox! When Vancouver hits the ice they don't just think "we have a chance of winning this game" the Canucks think we are going to win this game. It would seem this subtle difference in attitude has been plaguing too many in the Oilers organization.

Old
10-30-2003, 10:51 AM
Jim_Harnock

I don't think he meant two wins would make up for three losses. I interpretted it to mean two wins in a row would get their confidence back and get things clicking again.

Old
10-30-2003, 10:54 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Harnock
I don't think he meant two wins would make up for three losses. I interpretted it to mean two wins in a row would get their confidence back and get things clicking again.
"but at the same time it's quite feasible and quite manageable." 'Nuff said!

Old
10-30-2003, 10:57 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
"Yeah, I mean, I don't think our team is in a state of panic," said defenceman Eric Brewer. "We know what we need to do; we know we need to regroup.

"Everyone's aware we need to stick together and stay positive, and we'll get through it. It's three games (in a row), it's not 13, and you know, you get two quick wins and everything is fine again.

"I mean, it's not easy to get two wins, but at the same time it's quite feasible and quite manageable."
(source: United they stand, united they fall Oilers' all-or-nothing-at-all style means every player must give 100 per cent each night for the team to succeed, taken from EDMONON JOURNAL article http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sport...D-3953A391CFD3

Had Brewer said: We win the next three (3) games, to make for the three (3) game losing strike, I would have been much happier. It is this diminished vision of acceptable expectation I find so galling. Winning two (2) games only get the Oilers back to 500 hockey and then it is OK to maybe lose again and be sub 500 again.

I still think Eric should be speaking to the press from right inside the pressbox! When Vancouver hits the ice they don't just think "we have a chance of winning this game" the Canucks think we are going to win this game. It would seem this subtle difference in attitude has been plaguing too many in the Oilers organization.
What the hell are you talking about?

You are really grasping at straws with this one. He never said anything close to if they win 2 it is okay to go and lose 1. He says that winning 2 in a row is a complete change from losing 3 in a row, in both the attitudes in the dressing room, and those of the fans and media.

As for thinking they are going to win... he never said that either. He said that winning 2 in a row is never easy (which it isn't), but at the same time, this team can do it, and in order to do it, they need to work for it.

You are reading way to much into this. Maybe he didn't choose his words perfectly, but the message is still the same, things will get better when they start winning, and to do that, they need to be better.

Old
10-30-2003, 10:58 AM
ZIM

vCash:
There's nothing wrong with the quote.

What I wonder is why we don't see or hear more fire from the supposed leaders, the guys who wear the C and the A.

Old
10-30-2003, 10:58 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
In other words, winning 2 in a row...

Do you really want him to start guaranteeing victories... I sure as hell don't.

Old
10-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Jim_Harnock

Quote:
...have you been drinking or something? He said that while winning two in a row is hard, they can still do it (i.e. it's "feasible and quite manageable"). What's wrong with that? He's saying they can do it, but they'll have to work at it.

Old
10-30-2003, 12:49 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
In other words, winning 2 in a row...

Do you really want him to start guaranteeing victories... I sure as hell don't.
Worked for Messier in the Big Apple, but I guess that is a bad example for, ya' know a poor backwoods place like Edmonton, where if we keep our players egoes in check with diminished expectations and no consequences for horrible play, we can go on be a very mediocre team.

Gosh I hope Brewer and the rest of the Oilers have three (3) great games and prove me wrong.

Old
10-30-2003, 01:00 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Worked for Messier in the Big Apple, but I guess that is a bad example for, ya' know a poor backwoods place like Edmonton, where if we keep our players egoes in check with diminished expectations and no consequences for horrible play, we can go on be a very mediocre team.

Gosh I hope Brewer and the rest of the Oilers have three (3) great games and prove me wrong.
Messier also had 5 stanley cups under his belt...

Brewer makes a comment like I guarantee victory, and not only does it fire up the other team, it puts a lot of pressure on him (he made the comment, and will likely feel he has to make sure it comes true)... and with the way he is playing lately, that isn't what the oilers need... not at this point in time.

They know they need to win.

Old
10-30-2003, 01:06 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Harnock
...have you been drinking or something? He said that while winning two in a row is hard, they can still do it (i.e. it's "feasible and quite manageable"). What's wrong with that? He's saying they can do it, but they'll have to work at it.
Yes, but it has been cool clear water that I've been imbibing to help clean the thoughts. What is wrong with the quote is its tone, not the words used, the ideas expressed, the logic given; not even the underlying mood "Yeah, I mean, I don't think our team is in a state of panic," ... it is the tone of Eric's comments, how he sees himself as he speaks. The language he chooses oozes were insecurity and not with a forcefull confidence. Then a again I could be wrong. A little CBJ butt kicking might help to stem the tide, if I'm right.

Old
10-30-2003, 01:10 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Yes, but it has been cool clear water that I've been imbibing to help clean the thoughts. What is wrong with the quote is its tone, not the words used, the ideas expressed, the logic given; not even the underlying mood "Yeah, I mean, I don't think our team is in a state of panic," ... it is the tone of Eric's comments, how he sees himself as he speaks. The language he chooses oozes were insecurity and not with a forcefull confidence. Then a again I could be wrong. A little CBJ butt kicking might help to stem the tide, if I'm right.
Eric has never looked particularily comfortable talking to the media, and this could simply be a by product of it...

Similar to people who sit there and go umm, uhh, like uh, etc...

Old
10-30-2003, 01:25 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:

One of the dumbest things a person can say while reading a quote in the paper?

"I don't like his tone"

lol

I'm glad your paper allows you to understand the tone in which that was said. You'll have to send me one of these super special papers or web page articles URLs!!!

Old
10-30-2003, 01:44 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
One of the dumbest things a person can say while reading a quote in the paper?

"I don't like his tone"

lol

I'm glad your paper allows you to understand the tone in which that was said. You'll have to send me one of these super special papers or web page articles URLs!!!

Geez thome_26, I think you've just given me a pretty good 'personal' shot here. I guess tha expression "reading between the lines" is a concept that might be a tad too advanced for you.

Truthfully, though you could be more right than wrong. And as dawgbone, noted "Eric has never looked particularily comfortable talking to the media," and the message could be lost in the noise of the medium.

Old
10-30-2003, 02:07 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
There's nothing wrong with the quote.

What I wonder is why we don't see or hear more fire from the supposed leaders, the guys who wear the C and the A.
I don't see what else Moreau could do. Smith is playing well. They both strike me very much as lead by example types. I dunno hockey players, but I know the military - young soldiers (and old soldiers too) respond *much* better to that than they do to the yellers and screamers. Smyth has been doing "follow me" pretty well so far this season too.

I'm happy with the captain and alternates.

Brewer is probably just guilty of being young and put on the spot.

Closed Thread