HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

are the oilers better with salo?

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 12:26 PM
LawnDemon

vCash: 500
are the oilers better with salo?

assuming salo (and his full 3.9 million salary) could be traded for a 2nd or 3rd round pick...

which of the following scenarios makes for the better team?

A - salo + current defense (as it is now)

B - conklin + 3 million dollars of roster (defensive) help

personally, i have no doubts that option B makes for the better team. note that i'm not blaming the crappy start to the season on salo. frankly, i feel that the oiler players have become too dependent on salo. i think they have come to expect him to bail them out and play more responsibly when someone else (conklin/markkanen) is in goal. furthermore, they seem to completely fall appart the moment salo lets in a goal - good or bad.

salo needs a fresh start and the oilers need ANYTHING to help them on the blueline. this also frees up the option of adding salary in a comrie trade, picking up a young goalie for comrie (noronen?), or even signing comrie if money is indeed the issue.

thoughts?

Old
10-30-2003, 12:40 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
assuming salo (and his full 3.9 million salary) could be traded for a 2nd or 3rd round pick...

which of the following scenarios makes for the better team?

A - salo + current defense (as it is now)

B - conklin + 3 million dollars of roster (defensive) help

personally, i have no doubts that option B makes for the better team. note that i'm not blaming the crappy start to the season on salo. frankly, i feel that the oiler players have become too dependent on salo. i think they have come to expect him to bail them out and play more responsibly when someone else (conklin/markkanen) is in goal. furthermore, they seem to completely fall appart the moment salo lets in a goal - good or bad.

salo needs a fresh start and the oilers need ANYTHING to help them on the blueline. this also frees up the option of adding salary in a comrie trade, picking up a young goalie for comrie (noronen?), or even signing comrie if money is indeed the issue.

thoughts?
Salo goes, younger goalie acquired that is cheaper and can start and provide reasonable goaltending (lots of em out there). Pick up another defenceman, moving an Oilers d-man at the same time (but not MAB or Semenov), and either sign MC or trade whatever is necessary to Minny. We'd be a really good team in a HUGE hurry.

Old
10-30-2003, 12:40 PM
creative giant*

if it is true a pick is all salo is really worth, this situation is quite ironic. we traded mats lingren to get him, and now it looks like all we can get for him is a mats lingren. the world works in mysterious ways

Old
10-30-2003, 12:50 PM
Walsher

I am the first to admit Salo is playing aweful and the statistics do not lie. The fact still remains he has to be the Oielrs goaltender for them to succeed in my opinion. Every one has counted him out and jumped on his back. Classic Edmonton media and fans. This guy has won on every level he has played at and can win in the NHL. It was a short 2 years ago when he was considered top 7-8 goaltenders in the league and stole games on a nightly basis. He is a solid #1 guy and we need to make sure we don't lose him. No matter how much people want to trade him in favor of more defensive help and younger goaltending I feel it won't work.

Closed Thread