HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Andrei Kastsitsyn top end potential

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2003, 01:08 PM
  #26
Habsolution
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: En tounoi avec Theo? Bonn chan!
Posts: 2,408
vCash: 500
So I take it you're concerned about Zherdev too ?

Habsolution is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 01:38 PM
  #27
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Andrei Kostitsyn is still only 18 and trying to adjust to the RSL.Give the guy a break.I think that everyone should give the guy at least another season before you classify him as a bust.

With the exception of Ovechkin no other 18-19 year olds are dominate in the RSL.

Captain Ron is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 02:26 PM
  #28
IGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,074
vCash: 500
Um....I was making a lame joke about his medical situation. I know it was lame but come on. It was one of those match game answers. Just a joke.

If you actually want my honest opinion on him I would say that he has top six sniper skills and that he might be able to bring them to the us in the next year or two. If you are trying to get a line on what he COULD do then nobody's opinion here is any more valid that anyone elses. NONE of us TRULY know what it is. Of course, it is fun to speculate.

IGM is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 03:32 PM
  #29
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan
 
KingPurpleDinosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: irvine, ca
Posts: 2,888
vCash: 500
don't get me wrong, i'm not calling katsisyn a bust and i don't think anybody around here is calling him a bust, i'm just saying that i assumed w/ his skill he would be able to make the RSL. it just surprises me how he hasn't and that maybe he may not be as great as everyone is touting him out to be.

again, i'm not calling him a bust nor anything short of a top 6er, just that may he isn't as great as some montreal fans are making him out to be

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 05:59 PM
  #30
turnbuckle*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanger31
While i agree with your views on Kastitsyn, You were way off on O'Sullivan. It was not his character that got him drafted that late, but what seemed to be uncertainty. He was abused severly by his father for much of his adolescent life both mentally and physically. Think tough love multiplied by about 100. Getting kicked in the backed, yelled at (not just a little, but extremely) for small mistakes, all while you are in junior hockey and lower. It got so severe to merit restraining orders, and other such measures to keep his father away from him. Had nothing been done, he may have killed him at the rate the "punishment" was escalating. I got to read about the story and it is truly a case of when hockey parents go too far.
Don't put that on him, this kid truly has character, much more than people that spout off without knowing exactly what they are talking about, but decide to throw their 2cents in anyway. If you don't know his story, don't say anything, ask. It took me forever to get ahold of some truly reliable info with actual interviews from him and his mother. You wouldn't be perfect either if you went through what he went through. And if i'm not mistaken, i believe his dad was either a rather large man also, was either very tough, or both. It was one of those options. And Sully isn't a very big guy to begin with, let alone when he's 14 or so.
Sorry, but his background has quite a bit to do with his character. You grow up in a tough environment, you sometimes aren't the most well adjusted kid; and that appears to have been the case with O'Sullivan at times in his hockey past.

O'Sullivan has pulled a number of stunts didn't endear him to teammates, coaches, or scouts through the years, in particular his propensity for staying on the ice for two minutes or more when he takes the notion. According to one scout I know quite well, he was sent to the dressing room by Lou Vairo at the last World Junior Championship to the applause of his teammates after staying on the ice for an eternity for an entire power play in a critical match against either the Russians or Swedes (I can't recall exactly). It wasn't the first time either.

Yes; he was abused by his father (I've heard quite a few stories), and obviously swayed in some of his decisions, such as leaving the Ice Dogs; but that doesn't make his behaviour totally excusable.

I talked to three or four scouts about O'Sullivan before last year's draft; his character was a question entering the draft - why the hell else did his stock drop? As I stated before, it wasn't because of a lack of talent, it was mainly because of "character" issues.

Now, if you choose to ignore a person's background when it comes to "character" questions, that's your prerogative. Fact is, that's not always the way NHL teams look at it, in particular the scouting fraternity. Unfortunately, a person's background can be highly scrutinized by the hockey birddogs, particularly if it's checkered.

BTW - I wrote a draft piece for the Ottawa Sun that appeared in the June 20th issue (draft day). They gave me a full-page spread actually.
I'm not saying I'm an expert on O'Sullivan or the draft, but, after accumulating many comments concerning O'Sullivan right before the draft from the fellows about to make the picks, it's my opinion that he was passed over by many teams because of "character" questions.

turnbuckle* is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 09:46 PM
  #31
Stanger31
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: St. Albert
Posts: 252
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Stanger31
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
Sorry, but his background has quite a bit to do with his character. You grow up in a tough environment, you sometimes aren't the most well adjusted kid; and that appears to have been the case with O'Sullivan at times in his hockey past.

O'Sullivan has pulled a number of stunts didn't endear him to teammates, coaches, or scouts through the years, in particular his propensity for staying on the ice for two minutes or more when he takes the notion. According to one scout I know quite well, he was sent to the dressing room by Lou Vairo at the last World Junior Championship to the applause of his teammates after staying on the ice for an eternity for an entire power play in a critical match against either the Russians or Swedes (I can't recall exactly). It wasn't the first time either.

Yes; he was abused by his father (I've heard quite a few stories), and obviously swayed in some of his decisions, such as leaving the Ice Dogs; but that doesn't make his behaviour totally excusable.

I talked to three or four scouts about O'Sullivan before last year's draft; his character was a question entering the draft - why the hell else did his stock drop? As I stated before, it wasn't because of a lack of talent, it was mainly because of "character" issues.

Now, if you choose to ignore a person's background when it comes to "character" questions, that's your prerogative. Fact is, that's not always the way NHL teams look at it, in particular the scouting fraternity. Unfortunately, a person's background can be highly scrutinized by the hockey birddogs, particularly if it's checkered.

BTW - I wrote a draft piece for the Ottawa Sun that appeared in the June 20th issue (draft day). They gave me a full-page spread actually.
I'm not saying I'm an expert on O'Sullivan or the draft, but, after accumulating many comments concerning O'Sullivan right before the draft from the fellows about to make the picks, it's my opinion that he was passed over by many teams because of "character" questions.
It sounds like your idea of "character" is a little off. Even from what you said, they seem to have passed over him for uncertainty of his priorities and what he wanted. Not his character. Not knowing what you want does not mean you have a poor character. Especially when you have a very personal crisis you are still trying to deal with almost on your own.
And its people like you that believe that him leaving a team for personal problems is not excusable. Sorry, but there are many many many more important things in life than hockey, especially during tough times. Its not his character. He appears to have tried to deal with these problems alone for many years, and to me that shows true character.
You have to understand, someone can have problems and still be of very high character.
This was O'sullivan's worst part of his life, and will be worse than most of ours, in a common sense view, he handled it pretty damn well. The father you think is supposed to have unconditional love for you, and you thought he did, starts to make your life a living hell. You believe he will KILL you over hockey. Your father. Give me a break buddy, This kid has character. He fought through it. take the golden spoon outta your mouth.
They didn't know what was happening with him, not questions of his character.

Stanger31 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:06 PM
  #32
MoS*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Northfield, Minnesot
Posts: 5,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo
The jig is up.
Kastsitysn = Busted!

MoS* is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 10:45 PM
  #33
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
After watching several of you butcher his name I wanted to let you know his name is ............. Kostitsyn

not Kastsitsyn or Kastistsyn or Katsisyn or even Kastsitysn.

Captain Ron is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 11:33 PM
  #34
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,987
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=habdicted]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo

This is the most laughable thing I've ever read, frankly you don't know
s__t about Kosticyn just like the rest of us--so don't pretend you do--
fourth liner ala Jason Ward HA! HA! HA! now thats funny.


So by YOUR logic he COULD turn out to be a fourth rounder or even nothing as well since none of us know anything about him. Dont pretend like YOU do and laugh at someone who has an OPINION which is the only thing alot of us have at this point because NOONE (yourself included) knows what he will turn out to be. In my opinion what is laughable is YOUR post.

stardog is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 11:54 PM
  #35
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
Sorry, but his background has quite a bit to do with his character. You grow up in a tough environment, you sometimes aren't the most well adjusted kid; and that appears to have been the case with O'Sullivan at times in his hockey past.

O'Sullivan has pulled a number of stunts didn't endear him to teammates, coaches, or scouts through the years, in particular his propensity for staying on the ice for two minutes or more when he takes the notion. According to one scout I know quite well, he was sent to the dressing room by Lou Vairo at the last World Junior Championship to the applause of his teammates after staying on the ice for an eternity for an entire power play in a critical match against either the Russians or Swedes (I can't recall exactly). It wasn't the first time either.

Yes; he was abused by his father (I've heard quite a few stories), and obviously swayed in some of his decisions, such as leaving the Ice Dogs; but that doesn't make his behaviour totally excusable.

I talked to three or four scouts about O'Sullivan before last year's draft; his character was a question entering the draft - why the hell else did his stock drop? As I stated before, it wasn't because of a lack of talent, it was mainly because of "character" issues.

Now, if you choose to ignore a person's background when it comes to "character" questions, that's your prerogative. Fact is, that's not always the way NHL teams look at it, in particular the scouting fraternity. Unfortunately, a person's background can be highly scrutinized by the hockey birddogs, particularly if it's checkered.

BTW - I wrote a draft piece for the Ottawa Sun that appeared in the June 20th issue (draft day). They gave me a full-page spread actually.
I'm not saying I'm an expert on O'Sullivan or the draft, but, after accumulating many comments concerning O'Sullivan right before the draft from the fellows about to make the picks, it's my opinion that he was passed over by many teams because of "character" questions.

"but that doesn't make his behaviour totally excusable"

Thats harsh and cold. I believe what he went through and is dealing with on a daily basis is ALOT more important than what decisions he makes in his hockey career. I had an abusive father and to this day have never had my "character" called into question by anyone who knew me.
I believe his behavior is TOTALLY excusable because there were more important things in life than playing hockey at the time

stardog is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 07:27 PM
  #36
turnbuckle*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanger31
It sounds like your idea of "character" is a little off. Even from what you said, they seem to have passed over him for uncertainty of his priorities and what he wanted. Not his character. Not knowing what you want does not mean you have a poor character. Especially when you have a very personal crisis you are still trying to deal with almost on your own.
And its people like you that believe that him leaving a team for personal problems is not excusable. Sorry, but there are many many many more important things in life than hockey, especially during tough times. Its not his character. He appears to have tried to deal with these problems alone for many years, and to me that shows true character.
You have to understand, someone can have problems and still be of very high character.
This was O'sullivan's worst part of his life, and will be worse than most of ours, in a common sense view, he handled it pretty damn well. The father you think is supposed to have unconditional love for you, and you thought he did, starts to make your life a living hell. You believe he will KILL you over hockey. Your father. Give me a break buddy, This kid has character. He fought through it. take the golden spoon outta your mouth.
They didn't know what was happening with him, not questions of his character.
Look BUDDY; dissect my description the word word "character" all you want - FOR WHATEVER REASONS - a player with top ten talent was passed over - If there were not concerns about his past and his behaviour in certain situations (such as his selfishness concerning ice time at the WJC) - then you tell me why he wasn't picked in the first two rounds. YOU give me an explanation. WHY?

Instead of trying to make this a personal thing - let's get back to the jist of the argument here - why wasn't O'Sullivan a top 10 pick if he's "Mr. Character?"

turnbuckle* is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 04:47 AM
  #37
habdicted
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: north bay, ON
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
So by YOUR logic he COULD turn out to be a fourth rounder or even nothing as well since none of us know anything about him. Dont pretend like YOU do and laugh at someone who has an OPINION which is the only thing alot of us have at this point because NOONE (yourself included) knows what he will turn out to be. In my opinion what is laughable is YOUR post.
What is laughable is your grammar!!!!

habdicted is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 06:41 AM
  #38
DutchLeafsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Rotterdam, NL
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,913
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
Look BUDDY; dissect my description the word word "character" all you want - FOR WHATEVER REASONS - a player with top ten talent was passed over - If there were not concerns about his past and his behaviour in certain situations (such as his selfishness concerning ice time at the WJC) - then you tell me why he wasn't picked in the first two rounds. YOU give me an explanation. WHY?

Instead of trying to make this a personal thing - let's get back to the jist of the argument here - why wasn't O'Sullivan a top 10 pick if he's "Mr. Character?"
Well, according to Stanger31, the reason why he was passed over in the draft was concerns about how his character would develop after all these terrible years with his father, and whether these years had impacted on his character in a negative way. On the other hand you are basically suggesting that O' Sullivan has a bad character, based on some actions of his, while largely ignoring the circumstances of these actions. Personally, based on articles and opinions I have read on the draft, I'd say Stanger31's view is closer to reality than yours.

DutchLeafsfan is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 09:29 AM
  #39
stardog
Registered User
 
stardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habdicted
What is laughable is your grammar!!!!
Or your maturity...

stardog is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 10:42 AM
  #40
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan
Well, according to Stanger31, the reason why he was passed over in the draft was concerns about how his character would develop after all these terrible years with his father, and whether these years had impacted on his character in a negative way. On the other hand you are basically suggesting that O' Sullivan has a bad character, based on some actions of his, while largely ignoring the circumstances of these actions. Personally, based on articles and opinions I have read on the draft, I'd say Stanger31's view is closer to reality than yours.
And so to ask the question again, if O'Sullivan has top 10 talent & his character is not in question, why was he not picked until #56 overall??

Sammy* is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 11:05 AM
  #41
Duff88
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
After watching several of you butcher his name I wanted to let you know his name is ............. Kostitsyn

not Kastsitsyn or Kastistsyn or Katsisyn or even Kastsitysn.
It can both be written Kastitsyn and Kostitsyn

Duff88 is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 01:37 PM
  #42
Guillaume
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88
It can both be written Kastitsyn and Kostitsyn
Well, at the end of the day, it comes to whether you say:

Kanstantsin Kaltsau or Konstantin Koltsov?
Uladzimir Tsyplakau or Vladimir Tsyplakov?
Kanstantsin Zakharau or Konstantin Zakharov?
Vadzim Karaha or Vadim Karaga?

Andrei Kastsitsyn (note the s after the first t) or Andrei Kostitsyn?

I believe there is no reason why Kostitsyn should be the only Belarus player whose name should be translated pursuant to Belarus coding rather than Russian coding.

Belarus coding/translation is usually horrendous and does not make any sense phonetically. But if you want to write a name Kastsitsyn although it has to be pronounced Kostitsyn, it's fine (and officially correct, although inconsistent with the way all the other Belarus players' name is spelled in the NHL).

Guillaume is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 02:55 PM
  #43
Thomas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Waterloo
Country: Wales
Posts: 717
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Thomas
On draft day, it was written Kastsitsyn on the back of his jersey, so thats why most of Habs fan spell his name that way.

Thomas is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 03:20 PM
  #44
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas
On draft day, it was written Kastsitsyn on the back of his jersey, so thats why most of Habs fan spell his name that way.
That is fine but let us all be consistent.If you scan this thread you will find his name spelled 5 different ways.

In Russian names are written phonetically.On his Russian team CSKA his name is spelled Kostitsyn.So I am making the assumption that it is pronounced that way as well.

Captain Ron is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 08:41 PM
  #45
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
That is fine but let us all be consistent.If you scan this thread you will find his name spelled 5 different ways.

In Russian names are written phonetically.On his Russian team CSKA his name is spelled Kostitsyn.So I am making the assumption that it is pronounced that way as well.
Kostitsyn in russian

Kastitsyn in belarusian ...so both are ok

goalchenyuk is offline  
Old
11-03-2003, 10:36 PM
  #46
Bo
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Kostantin Korneev, who was the Hab's 9th round pick a year ago was a regular last season in the RSL as an 18 year old. This season he has been picked to the Russian national team at 19. Kosticyn has not been able to break in as a regular at 18. Korneev who was drafted about 250th overall has turned out to be a better prospect than Kosticyn who was drafted 10th overall.

 
Old
11-04-2003, 06:59 AM
  #47
Habs4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal, (Quebec)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
Korneev is playing good and would have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo
Kostantin Korneev, who was the Hab's 9th round pick a year ago was a regular last season in the RSL as an 18 year old. This season he has been picked to the Russian national team at 19. Kosticyn has not been able to break in as a regular at 18. Korneev who was drafted about 250th overall has turned out to be a better prospect than Kosticyn who was drafted 10th overall.
already been signed if it wasn't for his size he's on a smaalish side so he'll have to do miracles before he's brought over to North America, and that's probably the reason why he was passed over by so many teams, but if he can keep going he'll eventually get his contract.

Habs4ever is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 07:09 AM
  #48
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo
Kostantin Korneev, who was the Hab's 9th round pick a year ago was a regular last season in the RSL as an 18 year old. This season he has been picked to the Russian national team at 19. Kosticyn has not been able to break in as a regular at 18. Korneev who was drafted about 250th overall has turned out to be a better prospect than Kosticyn who was drafted 10th overall.
What do you mean by "has turned out to be a better prospect", exactly?

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 07:40 AM
  #49
Quagmier
Registered User
 
Quagmier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
What do you mean by "has turned out to be a better prospect", exactly?
He means he knows nothing about prospects and gives them 8 hours before labeling them busts.

Quagmier is offline  
Old
11-04-2003, 08:01 AM
  #50
Hitman*
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cowtown
Posts: 4,299
vCash: 500
Kastitsyn is a project IMO. It may have been in his best interest to go play for Medicine Hat and he could help devellop better ala Freddie Sjostrom.

He clearly has talent, but I don't know if he's getting the playing time he deserves. He seems to be too good for CSKA-2, but not good enough (or mature enough) for CSKA. I think that its Euros like him that benefit coming over here to play for a year or 2.

Just my 2 cents.

Hitman* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.