HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do you stop Joe Thornton?

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2006, 08:06 PM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
How do you stop Joe Thornton?

Preds fan here.

I am interested to hear how you guys held Thornton to 7gp-0g-0a in last season's playoffs.

We need all the advice we can get. Did he just suck that bad, or did you have a specific strategy?

Old
04-15-2006, 08:13 PM
LeHab

Koivu and Markov took care of him. I am actually very curious to see how he will perform this year.

Old
04-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
Preds fan here.

I am interested to hear how you guys held Thornton to 7gp-0g-0a in last season's playoffs.

We need all the advice we can get. Did he just suck that bad, or did you have a specific strategy?
i think mainly it was a matter of just turning up and playing against him in the playoffs, he did all the work on keeping himself off the scoresheet. I remember Komisarek put a HUGE hit on him along the boards, cant remember if we played him that physically all series though. I believe he was injured then too although Koivu was injured too and still managed to get the job done. if the preds end up facing him, i hope you have as much success against him as we did last time

Good luck in the post-season, I hope Mason can do a good job for you.

Old
04-15-2006, 08:18 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Preds fan here.

hit him and don't let him dipsy doodle, he's soft as butter...he really is. teams in the west have been him too much respect and space.

Old
04-15-2006, 08:19 PM
KaptainKourage*

You need Mike Komisarek to kick his butt.

Old
04-15-2006, 08:24 PM
nickyb

Quote:
Preds fan here.

They held him off the scoresheet because he had a rib injury that was pretty serious and was being drugged up before each game to try and deal with the pain.

Old
04-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Duff88

Quote:
Preds fan here.

Have one of your good checker get under his skin.

Old
04-15-2006, 08:40 PM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
Preds fan here.

don't worry, he will stop performing when the playoffs come

Old
04-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
mike komisarek, in your case..... get Jordin Tootoo to annoy him and then get Danny Markov to check his buttocks.

Old
04-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Biggsy

Hit his ribs i guess??

Old
04-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Medicine Twin

Quote:
Preds fan here.

You need Andrei Markov!

Old
04-15-2006, 08:51 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Preds fan here.

You have to hound him with speed and have a guy with size to back it up. A quick centerman to force him to the outside. Play off him and wait until he goes down low (he always does), then wait until he gives it away.

You need a quick defensive guy on him. He'll quit eventually. No heart.

He'll get points if you try to double-team him to quickly. He has great vision and will find the seam. Otherwise, he doesn't like to shoot the puck, so he's pretty predictable.

Old
04-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Evil Ted

Hope he is injured, thats about it.

Old
04-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Ross MacLochness

Wait for the big games when his team needs him most.

But seriously, pressure him, piss him off. He'll start floating around thinking he's Mario and he can avoid the rough areas and still produce, then when he realizes he's not Mario he'll get all frustrated and take stupid penalties.

Old
04-15-2006, 08:56 PM
oli500

Hit him hit him hit him.

thats all the advice you need

Old
04-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Sonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave
I remember Komisarek put a HUGE hit on him along the boards
Has anyone got a video of this? I would REALLY enjoy seeing that again!

Old
04-15-2006, 08:58 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Go after him with your big hitter. Take him off his game, it's actully pretty easy on him. Witt might turn out to be a great acquisition in this case, Markov and personnaly, I would use Weber on him avery shift. I know he is a rookie but a great one and perfect guy to use vs Thornton. All in all just stay close to him and hit him all series long until he losses it.

Old
04-15-2006, 09:02 PM
RedArmyMontreal*

Just get an agitator/checker on his case. He will get off his game easily(draw stupid penalty) and he's made out of paper. He can't take a beating, whenever he takes a beating, he fades off. You need to get on his case the first minute of the game.

Old
04-15-2006, 09:13 PM
dulzhok

thanks for the input.

I'd like to see Scott Walker leading the charge in shutting him down. He's a kamikaze. Legwand is our best defensive center, but we'll probably have to put him up on a scoringline. Usphall would be good on the LW, and plays a game similar to Walker. I'd love to see a line of Upshall-Legwand-Walker put up against the Thornton line. They'd have to ability to keep the puck pinned in our offensive zone as well. All three are great defensive player.

I'm still undecided if I want Witt or Markov on him. We need to put one of them on Marleau. Markov is more mobile than Witt.

On another note... How is Perreault in the playoffs? I remember him scoring a couple of big goals for you guys, but is he usually a liability?

Old
04-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
thanks for the input.

I'd like to see Scott Walker leading the charge in shutting him down. He's a kamikaze. Legwand is our best defensive center, but we'll probably have to put him up on a scoringline. Usphall would be good on the LW, and plays a game similar to Walker. I'd love to see a line of Upshall-Legwand-Walker put up against the Thornton line. They'd have to ability to keep the puck pinned in our offensive zone as well. All three are great defensive player.

I'm still undecided if I want Witt or Markov on him. We need to put one of them on Marleau. Markov is more mobile than Witt.

On another note... How is Perreault in the playoffs? I remember him scoring a couple of big goals for you guys, but is he usually a liability?
perreault should have been played on the face offs in the end of the game, but Julien was too conservative, he did sit out a couple of games in favor of Jim Dowd i believe.

Old
04-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Evil Ted

Joe Thornton is also looking for something to prove this year, he is 26 years old so he is probably just begining the prime of his career, i doubt he will have as bad of a playoffs as he did when the habs beat them out 4 straight last playoffs.

Just hitting him this year wont do the job you guys are probably in for a heck of a series. should be interesting to watch none the less.

Old
04-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Benchguy

Send a message via MSN to Benchguy
hope he is as hurt as he was against the habs that year

Old
04-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Teufelsdreck

Koivu neutralized Thornton not only in the 2004 playoffs but also in 2002.

Old
04-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Teufelsdreck

Koivu neutralized Thornton not only in the 2004 playoffs but also in 2002. However, it appears that Cheechoo is much better than Glen Murray.

Old
04-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Guy Caballero

I have to agree with the posts above: just keep hammering him, and make sure your best defenseman is shadowing him throughout the series, and you should be able to shut him down.

Closed Thread