HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

After game thoughts Habs vs Bruins

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 05:46 PM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
After game thoughts Habs vs Bruins

Montreal vs. Boston

Oct 30, 2003
Box Score

NHL FINAL IN OT 1ST 2ND 3RD OT TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
MONTREAL 0 0 0 1 1
BOSTON 0 0 0 0 0 FINAL IN OT

GOAL SCORING:

1ST PRD: NONE
2ND PRD: NONE
3RD PRD: NONE

OT: MON - JOE JUNEAU 1 (ANDREI MARKOV) 1:39

POWER-PLAY CONVERSIONS: MON - 0 OF 4, BOS - 0 OF 1.

SHOTS ON GOAL: 1ST 2ND 3RD OT TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
MON 10 14 13 1 38
BOS 6 8 7 0 21

GOALIES: MON - JOSE THEODORE
BOS - FELIX POTVIN

THREE STARS

1ST - FÉLIX POTVIN
2ND - JOÉ JUNEAU
3RD - JOSÉ THEODORE

RDS' THREE STARS

1ST - FÉLIX POTVIN
2ND - JOSÉ THÉODORE
3RD - MIKE RIBEIRO

OFFICIALS: REF - DAN O'HALLORAN, DENNIS LARUE
LIN - JEAN MORIN, MICHAEL CORMIER

ATT: 14,377

Old
10-30-2003, 05:52 PM
oli500

Man Did I scream when I saw that puck go in. What a relief. Anyways montreal diserved that win cause clearly they outplayed them on every aspect of the game. Cudos to the team effort and not given up tonight.

Old
10-30-2003, 05:57 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

14 000 at a Bruins game = PATHETIC

Old
10-30-2003, 06:04 PM
Go Habs Go

Woohoo! Mccarthy is a little *****, what a coward!

Old
10-30-2003, 06:07 PM
Corey

I don't know what CJ said to them, but they sure responded.

It's about time Bouillon was removed. The Habs can't seem to win when he plays.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:10 PM
goalchenyuk

Garry bettman is pathetic...

how much this league is going to pay for all the mistakes this guy have done ...

Old
10-30-2003, 06:13 PM
goalchenyuk

oups i am going to be fined 10,000 $ because i said something bad about his league...

Old
10-30-2003, 06:16 PM
Joe Malone

Nice to get that win. A big cheer and a sigh of relief when Juneau scored.

But we really outplayed them tonight, (and the last half of Tuesday's game). I think Hainsey should play regularly, and I'm surprised MacCarthy was such a wuss.

Hopefully the scoring jinx is past, and some momentum carries over to the next game vs the Rags.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:21 PM
Guy!

Well Hab fans, even if we finish last in the league and get no more points for the rest of the season, at least we can say the following: we actually have fans that attend our games. Of course, someone was joking that the building was full - with people ready for Hallowe'en dressed as ghosts. I'm embarassed for the Bruins, a team that good with that much potential only getting that many fans?

****NOTE: They may have said 14 000 fans, but don't forget this is Boston where the shot counter gives the Bruins a shot if it's even in the remote vicinity of the net. If there were 8 000 at the game, I'd be shocked.

To the game itself, which was a perfect example of how we will do if we stick to the system. My star of the game goes to the player that pretty much closed the door on an athlete I would expect will be in the running for player of the year, Joe Thornton. That's right, Joe Juneau, who once again showed that with age comes experience and not just a loss of a step. He completely marked out Thornton.

Does anyone else see that when we adhere to the system defensively it affords us more chances to score offensively? Of course it helps significantly when everyone is on board for the game and there are no passengers on the ice. Through three periods, the casual observer would probably have said the game was even, that no team had 'won' a period of hockey. I say the Habs won the first two, if only marginally, and the third was barely in favour of the Bruins. Overtime was a Markov/Juneau affair.

And although we may be a smaller team than the Bruins, we don't have to play that way - how many jumped to their feet like I did when Ribeiro put O'Connell to the ice with a major league hit?

~~

Notes:

Theo: Excellent game, and you can always tell when he plays well because he does two things extremely well: square to the shooter and follow the puck. When Rolston came in on the break, Theo followed that puck perfectly, and that told me we could have a high degree of confidence. A

Hainsey: When he's playing along the boards, he has to learn to keep that puck in front of him. As soon as he lets it get out of sight, he doesn't have the positioning ability yet to make up for it. I have to say, the worst aspect of his game is his board work, at this point. On the other hand, he shows signs of being a proactive player like Markov - breaking up plays before they start, and *that* is a wonderful sign. Finally, he has to stay at the same intensity level throughout, sometimes he gets overconfident and lax with the puck. B-

Brisebois: Back to the guy who sticks to the basics. Only one bomb tonight, and it was tape to tape. A-

Quintal: A couple of errors in what was mostly an error free game defensively, and that disappoints me coming from him. Even worse was getting suckered into that penalty by McCarthy, of all people. Kids who aspire to play the game read this: if you are slow, you have to maintain exemplary positioning. Such was not the case for him tonight. B-

Souray: The positive side of Mr. Inconsistency was here tonight, and he was really good. His job was the Thornton line, and while Quintal was the weaker of the two, he was supreme at the back. One terrible pass into the slot does not take away from a strong game - particularly along the boards. A

Rivet: Maybe he read what I'd written about him recently because tonight he kept to the basics and it served him well. Instead of running around, he was positionally much better, thereby allowing much fewer chances. B+

Markov: His work on Thornton in the overtime period about encapsulates how I feel about him. He brilliantly took out the future Hart winner, then had the presence of mind to tap the puck forward and out of the zone, thereby giving Juneau the chance to score. A+

Ward: No complaints; he had a job and he did it well. Hit people and hit them hard, along the way even forching a few good things in the offensive zone. B+

Begin: Was everywhere tonight, including in the face of Thornton those times that he was shifted against the superstar. His constant energy play is a boost to the rest of the team on nights like this, and he is a welcome addition. I just hope when Kilger comes back that he isn't the cut, as I fear might happen. A-

Langdon: Who was that with the nice hands that put in a seriously nice attempt to score as he went by the net! A bonus for a guy who is supposed to be hands of granite. His contriubutions at both ends were really good, in fact, I'm not sure you can expect much more from him ever. A

Juneau: Almost perfect defensively, and the winning, and only, goal to boot. What more can you say? A+

Dackell: Another typical game with solid, but not spectacular play at both ends. What I like most is his willingness to work in the system - it's what makes players like him better than they actually are. Still, he can panic on occasion, as he did tonight, when the pressure is on defensively. B

Bulis: Showed great speed again, and one has to wonder just how badly he was jinxed this summer. He should have about five goals by now. A-

Ryder: I can only imagine what he'd be able to do if he weren't on a line with Beavis and Butthead. He creates so much, but there's no teammate to bounce off his good ideas. On the other hand, even what he does do himself is pretty impressive - such as create multiple scoring chances for himself. A-

Perreault: (Beavis) He had a better game, in some aspects, than usual, though I'm really annoyed that if he loses the puck, his shoulders slump and it looks like he gives up on the play. Sometimes all you have to do is put in that second effort and good things will happen. There were two times that line dominated play, both times it was really Ryder, the defenders, and an occasional hand from Audette. Perreault has become periphery. C+

Audette: (Butthead) Actually, his game was better than Beavis' tonight, since he actually helped out offensively. However, if he's considered an offensive forward who's a threat, it's getting worse, not better. C+

Hossa: Another improvement! I was beginning to think that we might have seen his temporary ceiling for a while, but again his confidence improved from last game and I found him doing even more for himself and his linemates. Once again, board work was fantastic, if only he could have potted that scoring chance. When I see him now, my first thought is "powerful" and not "timid".A-

Ribeiro: When he implicates himself (a la Koivu) he can make a difference, as he did tonight. As a peripheral player, he's nigh on useless, though. Tonight he showed his vision, and a feistyness that needs to be a consistent part of his game if he's to succeed. He still had trouble defensively, but we can't ask for the world. A-

Zednik: I'm taking a collection now and when I get enough money, I'm going to Montreal myself to whack him on the head and tell him not to hold on to the puck so long. Why he doesn't pass it off and get into position completely eludes me. Does he really think he has to do it himself? Still and all, it was a fairly good game from him considering the mess he's given us recently. B

~~

After saying all this, we need better communication on the ice. The advantage to having an empty rink is that you can hear players talking if you boost the volume (my wife didn't really like this aspect of the game!). Quite often when a player had time to make a play, they panicked and put it off the glass or iced it when the proper play would have been a seven foot pass had they been told they had time.

And I'm sure some will wonder why the marks are so high; quite simply, each player was better in the system than they would be as individuals. How can I do other than raise a mark when each becomes part of the whole. It was like the Borg tonight. Sorry Bruins, resistance was futile; well, almost anyhow.

Next the Rag$: a team of severly over-priced and even more severely under-achieving players. Including someone I think *should* be the best player in hockey today: Vladimir Malakhov - but I posted that somewhere else. If we play the system, it's a game we a) should win because that team can't play as a team, and b) should lose because that team has as much or more talent than almost any in hockey.

Guess it depends on which Rag team turns up.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:22 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
Are we unbeaten when Hainsey is in the lineup, if so LEAVE HIM IN.

As for Saku what do you guys think ? At home on Saturday will he play?

Unbiased Canadian

Old
10-30-2003, 06:23 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
WOW! Although I think that you are a little biased when it comes to Markov, I must admit that you are a dedicated fan! And I appreciate you taking the time to post after every game...esp so quickly!

Old
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone

But we really outplayed them tonight, (and the last half of Tuesday's game). I think Hainsey should play regularly, and I'm surprised MacCarthy was such a wuss.

Hopefully the scoring jinx is past, and some momentum carries over to the next game vs the Rags.
All it took to win, was a no shot

Potvin played amazing, although the habs didn't play all that well at certain moments, played a hell of a lot better then against Philly. I know this team won't be like last year, cause Gainey won't let them be lazy, but so far, it sure is looking like it.

The habs have a lot of chances they miss, but one thing I never understand, why is it that Ryder, Audette and Perrault are all on the puck at once, I don't get it, 4-5 times if Audette or Ryder or ... are waiting near the net, they get the rebound, but they seem to hudle to get the puck, not sure why, are they that weak, they need each other to get it or something?

Old
doc lafleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
I don't know what CJ said to them, but they sure responded.

It's about time Bouillon was removed. The Habs can't seem to win when he plays.
I think Bouillon is ok, not great, however can come in handy in a trade.
If only he had a hat trick on Tuesday, please don't blame him.
I respect your opinion.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:33 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Dude you are kinda biased. I mean your breakdowns are great, but your grading is down right horrible. You say something like he played bad, B- and then you are like this guy made so many mistakes B+. Although I don't think it matters, cause the grades are merely a judgement by you, and some people like it I thought I would point it out, not to mention the fact that Markov the guy you praised got A+ and you Beavis and Butthead got C. Audette played great, I mean how can you say a bad thing about that game, no one socred except Juneau on a NO SHOT, and Potvin was awesome. Audette was on the ground with a player on top of him trying to make something happend. He needs to score to be effective, and I hate that he isn't and 3 mill for the guy is way too much, but give the guy some credit, it's not like he missed 7 empty nets, he had a few good chances, Potvin roobed him on teh door step.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:33 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
that is damn impressive- I wish you could breakdown the Broons but they as a whole took the night off like they did last week against the Canes at home. The Habs wanted it more and this was a 4-0 game going by observation. Juneau may have shut down Thornton but Joe unfortunately doesn't always show up. He was OK tonight- but there were no Thornton to Murray one timers. If they are going good Murray is getting alot of shots. Its amazing to watch the Broons win 6 games in a row on the road dominating many games and then turn up this fur ball. But the Habs deserve the credit more of their players played harder than ours and in the end thats what did it. Luckily for Boston they stole a point. I wish they didn't play one game at home until December- with the Red Sox and Patriots everyone including me is not yet focused on hockey. Go Habs

Old
10-30-2003, 06:36 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
that is damn impressive- I wish you could breakdown the Broons but they as a whole took the night off like they did last week against the Canes at home. The Habs wanted it more and this was a 4-0 game going by observation. Juneau may have shut down Thornton but Joe unfortunately doesn't always show up. He was OK tonight- but there were no Thornton to Murray one timers. If they are going good Murray is getting alot of shots. Its amazing to watch the Broons win 6 games in a row on the road dominating many games and then turn up this fur ball. But the Habs deserve the credit more of their players played harder than ours and in the end thats what did it. Luckily for Boston they stole a point. I wish they didn't play one game at home until December- with the Red Sox and Patriots everyone including me is not yet focused on hockey. Go Habs
Well if you win 6 in a row, and come home to like 8 000 at puck drop, I would be pissed too

Old
10-30-2003, 06:40 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I thought Theodore was sharp, and that's great to see. Rivet even seemed to play better. Begin was hitting everything, and hard. He knows how to throw a body check. I'm not used to seeing that in Habland. Ward has to be the hardest worker on the team, but he isn't showing much skill with the puck. I think he'll pick it up though. Juneau/Dackell played well. Markov looks to be getting better. I wonder if having Souray around has made him a little uneasy. I think Souray has been our best defensemen so far, not Markov, who was clearly our best last year. Some guys don't respond well when they don't get the spotlight. Or maybe it was missing some of camp/preseason. I think he's been great on offense, but in his own end he's made a few mistakes here and there. Maybe Rivet's poor play has made things look worse for Markov.

As for Audette, I didn't see him do much of anything again. He has to be benched at some point. A broom on skates would have a better chance to score. Although he does try, I just don't think he has it. It's a shame cause he was once a good sniper. Zednik is pissing me off. I saw one play where he had an easy pass to HOssa, instead, he took it wide, shot a weak one on net that did nothing. Hossa was wide Richard!!!

Old
10-30-2003, 06:41 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone

Agreed about Hainsey. I like Bouillon for his intensity and heart but it's clearly him who's the 7th Dman on this team, not the other way around. Hainsey should be playing 2/3 of the games, meaning about 50 for him and 30 for Bouillon. Almost all our wins came this year when Hainsey was playing with Brisebois. Better transition, better vision, moves the puck more fluidly. Bouillon should only serve as a way for Hinasey to kick his own butt knowing he could be replaced if he does not give it all. So far, considering Hainsey's a rookie, I'm very pleased with his game.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:44 PM
Mayhem

Send a message via AIM to Mayhem
Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Well if you win 6 in a row, and come home to like 8 000 at puck drop, I would be pissed too
....when your owner increases tickets prices every year depsite the product that is being presented on the ice there is going to be a considerable amount of renewals for season tickets. Many of our own Bruins board members who had been season ticket holders for decades simply cannot afford them anymore because the prices have gone through the stratosphere. None the less aside from this evening if the Bruins continue to play the rest of this season like they have thus far the crowds will come back to the Flee(ce)t.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:45 PM
Habsolument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased Canadian
Are we unbeaten when Hainsey is in the lineup, if so LEAVE HIM IN.

As for Saku what do you guys think ? At home on Saturday will he play?

Unbiased Canadian
no remember the first game of the season...

Old
10-30-2003, 06:47 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem
....when your owner increases tickets prices every year depsite the product that is being presented on the ice there is going to be a considerable amount of renewals for season tickets. Many of our own Bruins board members who had been season ticket holders for decades simply cannot afford them anymore because the prices have gone through the stratosphere. None the less aside from this evening if the Bruins continue to play the rest of this season like they have thus far the crowds will come back to the Flee(ce)t.
Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming you guys for not going(ok that is not true, I didn't know about the ticket prices) but I am sure the players could care less of ticket prices, hell I doubt they know the price of them. They might see no shoes and just not care. Not your fault really, your owner is a total dushbag

Old
10-30-2003, 08:28 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Excellent job, love your reports, you should save them all and even have them published them on your own website...great job again

Old
10-30-2003, 08:50 PM
Wildbeliefs

Hi everyone! I've been reading the posts here the last couple of weeks, and finally decided to participate... go easy on me. :p

As for the game tonight, although I was happy for the habs, I have to say that the Juneau goal was pretty darn ugly. A goal's a goal, I know, but none the less, when I saw it go in, I couldn't stop laughing... anyhoo, Juneau *did* deserve it: he worked hard all night. (A for effort? )

A couple of other things I wanted to mention:

1) Am I the only one that noticed some really bad officiating? I remember on two specific occasions seeing Habs players being completely hooked to the point where they couldn't move, and they didn't even have the puck. No calls on either play.

2) Is this "dead arena" sickness going to be a recurring trend this season? First Philly and now Boston... Hockey games just aren't the same without the thousands of rabid fans...

Old
10-30-2003, 09:24 PM
nikrag03*

Send a message via MSN to nikrag03*
Overall, we played very well tonight. Din't give the bruins much and were a lot better in our own zone than usual. Sheldon Souray really impressed me tonight, He has a lot more poise than some poeple give him credit for.

Donald Audette is getting worse and worse in my opinion. If he's not producing hes completely useless because he can't play defensively and gets knocked off the puck way too easily. I would really like to see him taken out of the lineup when Saku returns although I know that won't happen. I also would like to see Higgins given more of a chance(perhaps replacing hossa in the lineup considering he's been less than impressive...)

Old
10-30-2003, 09:40 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikrag03
Overall, we played very well tonight. Din't give the bruins much and were a lot better in our own zone than usual. Sheldon Souray really impressed me tonight, He has a lot more poise than some poeple give him credit for.

Donald Audette is getting worse and worse in my opinion. If he's not producing hes completely useless because he can't play defensively and gets knocked off the puck way too easily. I would really like to see him taken out of the lineup when Saku returns although I know that won't happen. I also would like to see Higgins given more of a chance(perhaps replacing hossa in the lineup considering he's been less than impressive...)
Souray has impressed me in every game I have seen him. Unfortunately, I could not see the habs-bruins game today as I live in B.C ......but from what I have heard, the habs played a really sound game on the road and peppered Potvin with 38 shouts. I was happy to see Juneau get the goal in o.t and Theodore got his 3rd shutout in 11 games....which is great

Closed Thread