HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shields and the conspiracy theory...

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 05:14 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

vCash: 500
Shields and the conspiracy theory...

I'm wondering if Shields' cardiac netminding is actually working for the Panthers. Before anyone thinks me stupid and psycho (I know Heimy, too late!!), hear me out.

Shields' netminding gives quite a few of us a major case of heart palpitations. I'm assuming that it does the same for the guys on the ice. Hence, they think a little bit more about defense when he's tending the cage.

This is illustrated by pointing out the number of shots that Ottawa took tonight that found body of a Panther skater. Ottawa was credited with 32 shots tonight. I'd be willing to wager that at least that many more were blocked in front.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:12 PM
evildreams

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther
I'm wondering if Shields' cardiac netminding is actually working for the Panthers. Before anyone thinks me stupid and psycho (I know Heimy, too late!!), hear me out.

Shields' netminding gives quite a few of us a major case of heart palpitations. I'm assuming that it does the same for the guys on the ice. Hence, they think a little bit more about defense when he's tending the cage.

This is illustrated by pointing out the number of shots that Ottawa took tonight that found body of a Panther skater. Ottawa was credited with 32 shots tonight. I'd be willing to wager that at least that many more were blocked in front.
keenan was quoted saying that he has brought in shields to get the team 'off their heels;' sorry to burst your bubble, but your theory is no theory. when playing in front of your lesser 'tender, you are forced to be more aware defensively.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Heimy

Fire Rescue just left. The last thing I remember was screaming at Chara for crushing Horton and then these guys were all around me yelling CLEAR! I looked up and the Panthers WON!! It's was uhh, shocking. :p

Old
10-30-2003, 07:20 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildreams
when playing in front of your lesser 'tender, you are forced to be more aware defensively.
Quote:
they think a little bit more about defense when he's tending the cage.
Thank you for proving my point ED.

Old
10-31-2003, 02:19 AM
justapantherfan

Quote:
Thank you for proving my point ED.

I thought I was losing my mind. I am glad I wasn't the only one to catch that.

Old
10-31-2003, 05:50 AM
Acadmus

Quote:

I'll admit I didn't see the defensive effort, but 32 shots is still kinda high, especially when the Panthers only managed 22.

Statistically speaking, I was checking earlier, and Shields is clearly not the better netminder, despite winning both his starts. His GAA and Save% are both significantly worse than Roberto's. So whether the defense is remembering how to play its game when Shields is in net or if Shields has simply made the big saves Roberto hasn't, I don't know.

Old
10-31-2003, 09:21 AM
PantherBlood6*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus
I'll admit I didn't see the defensive effort, but 32 shots is still kinda high, especially when the Panthers only managed 22.

Statistically speaking, I was checking earlier, and Shields is clearly not the better netminder, despite winning both his starts. His GAA and Save% are both significantly worse than Roberto's. So whether the defense is remembering how to play its game when Shields is in net or if Shields has simply made the big saves Roberto hasn't, I don't know.
When you're playing arguably the best team in the NHL, I'd say only allowing 32 shots is quite an accomplishment.

I Also don't think anyone is trying to say Shields is better than Luongo...Just that the team plays much better in front of Shields than they do Roberto.

Old
10-31-2003, 09:23 AM
evildreams

vCash:
i remember a while back, during the stoneage, the panthers used to play better in front of fitzpatrick than they did beezer.

Old
10-31-2003, 09:52 AM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildreams
i remember a while back, during the stoneage, the panthers used to play better in front of fitzpatrick than they did beezer.
That's nice, I'm happy for you.

Old
10-31-2003, 12:33 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
I do think that some of the players have the mindset that if Luongo is in net, they have less to worry about. The guy can't bail out the team on every possible chance and going from 40 shots to 32 is kinda significant. I don't understand it but I think the theory has a lot of truths in it.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:21 AM
Crossbar

Had this have been Hurme instead of Shields it would have probably been 1 loss vs Atlanta, 8-1 finish vs Philly instead of 5-1 (yeah Shields kept it from looking ugly...ier after Luongo deflated the team by allowing the 2 quick goals), and another loss vs Ottawa. Getting Shields and Travis Scott (for the Rampage) turned out *TERRIFIC* great assessment of talent by Dudley and company just unfortunate we didn't get that 4th rounder that Carolina received but IMO I think that was Atlanta's spur of the moment deal probably because they were scared out of their wits the Canes would keep Hurme all to themselves, nice tactic by Rutherford.

Closed Thread