HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Begin

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 05:56 PM
MolsonBeer

vCash:
Steve Begin

What can I say, where to start? Begin is the type of player the Habs have sorely lacked over the past years. When he steps on the ice he brings determination, gritiness and poise. He gets the puck in deep and bangs away, not to mention his impressive defensive awareness. Nothing but good things to say. He knows his role and plays it to perfection. All this and I still haven't talked about all the intangibles he brings like face-offs and his leadership (110% every shift). Heads up move by Bob to bring this guy in. Thoughts?

Old
10-30-2003, 06:03 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonBeer
What can I say, where to start? Begin is the type of player the Habs have sorely lacked over the past years. When he steps on the ice he brings determination, gritiness and poise. He gets the puck in deep and bangs away, not to mention his impressive defensive awareness. Nothing but good things to say. He knows his role and plays it to perfection. All this and I still haven't talked about all the intangibles he brings like face-offs and his leadership (110% every shift). Heads up move by Bob to bring this guy in. Thoughts?

I really like the way he finishes his checks. Plus he seems to hit hard. Your right we haven't had a player like him in a while. Lindsay somewhat, but not as good of a hitter for sure. Good move by Gainey.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:04 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonBeer
Mike8 appears to be among his biggest supporters here and made a good call in prognosticating at the time of his being picked up what you are saying now. I think in Calgary, Begin was expected by some to do too much and be something he was/is not - can't really blame those fans for that, what with the sad sack team they had and all, they really needed some heroes to lean on. But the guy is doing a very good job of playing the role he's been given here. I hope he keeps it up.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:26 PM
penopekoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Your right we haven't had a player like him in a while. Lindsay somewhat, but not as good of a hitter for sure. Good move by Gainey.
Good point. He's a huge improvement over Lindsay, plus he's only 25!

Old
10-30-2003, 07:52 PM
SpezNc

Quote:
Originally Posted by penopekoo
Good point. He's a huge improvement over Lindsay, plus he's only 25!
Ward and Begin form a great duo.... IMO...

Old
10-30-2003, 08:01 PM
RE-HABS

I love his grit and energy he brings to the team.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:49 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I really like the way he finishes his checks. Plus he seems to hit hard. Your right we haven't had a player like him in a while. Lindsay somewhat, but not as good of a hitter for sure. Good move by Gainey.
Agreed, he brings toughness, energy and grit....which will definately help in securing a playoff berth.

Old
10-31-2003, 04:33 AM
Cosanostra

I like his defensive play a lot too. He's not afraid to take the body even if he's not the biggest player in the team. Last night against Boston, with 2 minutes left in the 3rd, Julien sent his line out. That's saying a lot.

I would see him on the Third line with Bulis and Juneau when Kilger comes back. The put Kilger, Ward and Langdon as a big energy giving 4th line.

Old
10-31-2003, 04:50 AM
Joe Cole

I will join the chorus. I like him too. The hit of Spezza was a real hi-light! He came to the defense of a team mate and knocked Spezza right off his feet. That is team spirit.

Old
10-31-2003, 05:06 AM
Howie Morenz

It's a pleasure watching a player of his size play with intensity every shift. Hopefully it will continue and rub off on a few of his teamates.

Old
10-31-2003, 06:45 AM
NWT Habs Fan

In an article in yesterday's Gazette, CJ mentioned that you don't have to be big to play big. Begin is that prototypical player that plays much bigger than his actual stature. This guy could easily move into that checking line centre or LW role at any time. CJ is actually using him and his line as the second checking line anyway. That is a rare luxury that most teams don't have (ie, the ability to effectively shut down two scoring lines). I really admire this guy's energy and effort out there, nice pick Bo.

Old
10-31-2003, 08:33 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie Morenz
It's a pleasure watching a player of his size play with intensity every shift. Hopefully it will continue and rub off on a few of his teamates.
I sure hope so......in a physical eastern conference, our team will have to play more physical as a whole

Old
10-31-2003, 09:16 AM
tinyzombies

The Bruins announcer was saying that with Zamuner back, the Bruins have the best 4th line in the league... I beg to differ.

Our 4th line was clearly the best line on the ice last night, period. The 700 Pound Line didn't do squat.

Old
10-31-2003, 09:20 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
The Bruins announcer was saying that with Zamuner back, the Bruins have the best 4th line in the league... I beg to differ.

Our 4th line was clearly the best line on the ice last night, period. The 700 Pound Line didn't do squat.
P.J Stock not being in their lineup and instead playing for the Philadelphia Phantoms sure does not help their fourth line either Personally, I take Stock over McCarthy

Old
10-31-2003, 12:27 PM
Medicine Twin

Yeah, I was wondering why RDS gave Ribeiro the 3rd star last night... not that he played a bad game, but Begin was probably the best Hab last night. He was hitting everything that moved. Now, hopefully, he keeps playing like this. We seem to get alot of players who are really physical for the first two months with the team then never hit again... Kilger and Rivet are prime examples.

Old
10-31-2003, 12:43 PM
Joe Malone

Yeah, it's hard not to notice the good things Begin brings to the ice each and every shift. I'm sure impressed with him. One question....has he played more as a center, or as a winger in his career?

If Kilger plays center when he returns, maybe Begin could play on his wing. And maybe, just maybe, Begin's consistent efforts could eventually influence Kilger's game. Just think of Kilger playing a Begin-type game night after night.

I say this not knowing how Begin has done on faceoffs. But I also recall reading that Begin considered himself a more effective player on the wing.

Just a thought.

Old
10-31-2003, 01:15 PM
Mackee

Have to agree with everything that's been said.

I was also quite pleased when Gainey picked up Begin. We haven't had an agitator like Begin in a long time. Plus he's laying the body, can't ask for anything more than that. Well a goal here and there is certainly a bonus of course.

Old
10-31-2003, 01:18 PM
Rahan

Plus he's good with faceoffs. Pretty good ratio!!

Old
10-31-2003, 02:01 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone
I say this not knowing how Begin has done on faceoffs. But I also recall reading that Begin considered himself a more effective player on the wing.
Here are October's faceoff stats as compiled by Mr Bozo on Habsrus. As you can see, Begin is pretty close behind the best faceoff man in the NHL for the past 4 seasons.

Faceoff %:
Perreault, 101/166 (60.8%)
Bégin, 47/83 (56.6%)
Juneau, 100/192 (52.1%)
Ribeiro, 80/176 (45.5%)

Old
10-31-2003, 02:11 PM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
Here are October's faceoff stats as compiled by Mr Bozo on Habsrus. As you can see, Begin is pretty close behind the best faceoff man in the NHL for the past 4 seasons.

Faceoff %:
Perreault, 101/166 (60.8%)
Bégin, 47/83 (56.6%)
Juneau, 100/192 (52.1%)
Ribeiro, 80/176 (45.5%)
Time to trade Perreault then..........just kidding.

Thanks NWT.

Kilger/Begin/Ward sound good to anybody?

Old
10-31-2003, 02:19 PM
Démon Blond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone
Time to trade Perreault then..........just kidding.

Thanks NWT.

Kilger/Begin/Ward sound good to anybody?
Great 4th line, energy toughness and defensive awareness

But where to put Langdon then?

BG must make a trade soon to free some spots in the line-up!

Old
10-31-2003, 02:46 PM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Démon Blond
Great 4th line, energy toughness and defensive awareness

But where to put Langdon then?

BG must make a trade soon to free some spots in the line-up!
Yeah, Langdon's presence will be needed some nights. He hasn't played every game in recent seasons, but 50 + games for sure. Not sure how to address that. He can dress against teams where we know things could gat nasty.

With Koivu and Kilger set to return soon, there will be a surplus of players. Minor moves, demotions etc, will be forthcoming. Getting back to Begin, he won't be one of the players moved, the way he's playing right now.

Old
11-01-2003, 03:02 PM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
I haven't had a chance to see many games this past week. i had school, then work right after school, a dance, and halloween, then my tv went on me.
But I like what i've seen from this guy. He really brings a physical presence to the team, and shows that he can still play hockey, and play well.
Any guesses on who gets moved once Koivu, Kilger, and Langdon come off the IR?
Or do you just want to make guesses on what the moves will be? (demotions, 2 for 1's, 1 for picks, etc.)

Closed Thread