HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Liles

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Mephisto

vCash: 500
Liles

What is your guys take on his upside in points?

Any chance he replaces Skoula on a regular basis and maybe et more timeon the pp?

Thx.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:12 AM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto
What is your guys take on his upside in points?

Any chance he replaces Skoula on a regular basis and maybe et more timeon the pp?

Thx.
I believe it's inevitable.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:41 AM
4hockey8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
I believe it's inevitable.
I would tend to agree with DD. I would believe that the coaching staff has told him to keep it simple and don't make any mistakes over the 1st 10-20 games. Once he gets settled in and comfortable with the system and his D partners, you will really see him come out of his shell offensively. That will be entertaining to watch for those that haven't seen him really start controlling the offense on the PP.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:42 AM
BearsFan30

Send a message via AIM to BearsFan30
while he was quarterbacking the power play at college, they were doing awesome (I've looked up some stats...) He did well in his 6 games in Hershey on the Power Play too, so it definetely will happen, only question is when

Old
10-29-2003, 09:18 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
I like his potential, but I don't think he's doing anything really impressive right now, that would earn him more ice time. I don't think he is strong enough right now in his career, to be able to play consistant enough in his own zone, as he seems to get out muscled a lot. He also seems to pinch more than any other Av defenseman, sometimes almost costing the team, as it seems he pinches at the wrong time sometimes. I don't think he's playing poorly right now, I just think there's room for improvement. He does however posess a very nice shot from the point.

Old
10-30-2003, 11:30 AM
4hockey8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118
I like his potential, but I don't think he's doing anything really impressive right now, that would earn him more ice time. I don't think he is strong enough right now in his career, to be able to play consistant enough in his own zone, as he seems to get out muscled a lot. He also seems to pinch more than any other Av defenseman, sometimes almost costing the team, as it seems he pinches at the wrong time sometimes. I don't think he's playing poorly right now, I just think there's room for improvement. He does however posess a very nice shot from the point.
If you are looking for someone who NEVER gets outmuscled, the team could always dress the McAllister types and send the skilled guys to Europe. Large, skilled defensemen are a rare commodity - I doubt anyone can name more than 1 or 2 in the league).

As was said before in the thread, he most likely has been told to keep it simple - nothing impressive, nothing daring. Have faith - you will see impressive stuff later when he's given a green light. As for pinching, with speed such as D-men like Liles possess, you will see the occasional stepping up into the play. As I am fond of saying to my friends (who have never laced up a skate but freely critique), we are all undefeated in the stands!

GO AVS!

Old
10-30-2003, 07:35 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hockey8
If you are looking for someone who NEVER gets outmuscled, the team could always dress the McAllister types and send the skilled guys to Europe. Large, skilled defensemen are a rare commodity - I doubt anyone can name more than 1 or 2 in the league).

As was said before in the thread, he most likely has been told to keep it simple - nothing impressive, nothing daring. Have faith - you will see impressive stuff later when he's given a green light. As for pinching, with speed such as D-men like Liles possess, you will see the occasional stepping up into the play. As I am fond of saying to my friends (who have never laced up a skate but freely critique), we are all undefeated in the stands!

GO AVS!
Maybe you misunderstood me. I'm not looking for someone who never gets outmuscled. I just think that strength is the area he needs the most imprvement in. I don't think he has been anywhere near bad, but I think he looks too much like a rookie defensman at this point. Defense is a hell of a lot harder to play when you first break into the NHL than it is at forward. I do however, think he will progress slowly throughout the year, as he gets aclimated to the speed and physicality of the NHL, and will be a lot more confident out there at the end of the season, which will boost his ofensive production.

Old
10-31-2003, 04:09 AM
4hockey8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118
Maybe you misunderstood me. I'm not looking for someone who never gets outmuscled. I just think that strength is the area he needs the most imprvement in. I don't think he has been anywhere near bad, but I think he looks too much like a rookie defensman at this point. Defense is a hell of a lot harder to play when you first break into the NHL than it is at forward. I do however, think he will progress slowly throughout the year, as he gets aclimated to the speed and physicality of the NHL, and will be a lot more confident out there at the end of the season, which will boost his ofensive production.
You're right - I misunderstood. I also believe he will progress as the year goes on and be offensively productive.

Old
10-31-2003, 06:12 AM
Erack82

Send a message via AIM to Erack82
I think Liles has got tons of upside. He isn't the biggest guy, but to make the Avs out of college is something. I have watched J-M on a regular basis and he has been probably the most important player day in and day out for MSU, and with time, he could be a fixture on your team for a long long time. He is great offensively (excellent passer), good defensively, and can hit when needed. Not bad for a late round pickup.
Before this season, I was surprised no one was really talking about him all that much. But even 9 games into the season, I think you can already see he is a special guy. And this is coming from a Wings/UofM fan.

Closed Thread