HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geez...

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 07:54 PM
Fists of Fuhry

vCash: 500
Geez...

what the hell is up with Tommy? I mean, he showed flashes of his old form in preseason and now he's worse than a block of swiss cheese. Its really scary watching games with him in net... every shot that's not blocked goes in the net

Old
10-30-2003, 07:57 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
WTF?

How is this once again Salo's fault?

Old
10-30-2003, 08:01 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
WTF?

How is this once again Salo's fault?
I know. He played good tonight. One great play (the tip) by Nash, and the other two goals he was left hanging!

Old
10-30-2003, 08:04 PM
Allan

He played a great game tonight. No chance at all on any of the goals - first one, he stopped a shot, and Smith couldn't hold Nash up long enough; second one he was down, and had already stopped a rebound; third one, no chance at all on the redirection; almost fourth, he was clearly interfered with. He made some great saves, too.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:05 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I know. He played good tonight. One great play (the tip) by Nash, and the other two goals he was left hanging!

Oh c'mon... Salo did not at all play good tonight.. he wasn't as miserable as previous nights but then again how can it get worse than a 5.88 GAA in the last 3 games? Denis was the only goalie out there trying to do favors for his team and by far outplayed Mr. Tommy. It might just be me, but I really cringe whenever other teams have anything even remotely close to resembling a scoring chance.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:06 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists of Fuhry
Oh c'mon... Salo did not at all play good tonight.. he wasn't as miserable as previous nights but then again how can it get worse than a 5.88 GAA in the last 3 games? Denis was the only goalie out there trying to do favors for his team and by far outplayed Mr. Tommy. It might just be me, but I really cringe whenever other teams have anything even remotely close to resembling a scoring chance.
Any examples to back yourself up? I didn't see any bad goals.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:08 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Any examples to back yourself up? I didn't see any bad goals.

Columbus' second goal could've been stopped had Tommy been in position... instead he was off balance and the puck was redirected between his pads. That was a sheer momentum goal as the Oilers looked like they were going to make it a rout at that point.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:09 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Whatever you say...

Yeah, Denis out-played Salo and stole a point for Columbus, but he also gave up a very weak goal (Smith), and Salo helped his team get the win. Salo made the first save on every goal, except for the tip, and on every goal it was a wide open man that scored.

Old
FacelessButcher

I thought he played poorly aswell, too many holes in his armour and the Nash tip was so obvious he should of read that and not freezing the puck on Nash's other goal : . I am officialy jumping off the Salo bandwagon make sure you give me a hard time if I ever try jumping back on, but I think he has lost "it". Not saying he sucks but has not played like a $3.9 million goalie and half the back-ups in the league could have performed better than he has out of the gate. If we had Denis and they had Salo I bet the game would of ended 5-1 for the Oil he can drag his feet through the season but if we manage a playoff spot I know we won't steal a series with him in net. Lowe should definetly not take him up on his next contract option in the off-season.

Old
windowlicker

on the Vyborny goal, it looked like the oilers D and forwards were all trying to play goal, which resulted in Salo having his vision totally blocked.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:10 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Columbus' second goal could've been stopped had Tommy been in position... instead he was off balance and the puck was redirected between his pads. That was a sheer momentum goal as the Oilers looked like they were going to make it a rout at that point.
The second goal was a backhander into the top of the net

What game were you watching?

Old
10-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
I thought he played poorly aswell, too many holes in his armour and the Nash tip was so obvious he should of read that and not freezing the puck on Nash's other goal : . I am officialy jumping off the Salo bandwagon make sure you give me a hard time if I ever try jumping back on, but I think he has lost "it". Not saying he sucks but has not played like a $3.9 million goalie and half the back-ups in the league could have performed better than he has out of the gate. If we had Denis and they had Salo I bet the game would of ended 5-1 for the Oil he can drag his feet through the season but if we manage a playoff spot I know we won't steal a series with him in net. Lowe should definetly not take him up on his next contract option in the off-season.

Sadly Amen... I too have lost the faith...

Old
10-30-2003, 08:12 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
The second goal was a backhander into the top of the net

What game were you watching?

Sorry, I meant the third goal... Nash's 2nd...

Old
10-30-2003, 08:15 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
So you are saying instead of playing the point shot (with the wide open shooting lane), you instead worry about the guy at the side? Come on, this is the friggin NHL... if you aren't focusing on the shot, they are blowing it past you.

As for freezing the puck on Nash's other goal... I'd love to know of a goaltender who can freeze a puck in that situation. Salo made an initial save, and Nash had the rebound almost instantly, less than a foot away from Salo.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:17 PM
windowlicker

when a player is in the doghouse with the fans, it seems every move he makes that isnt a 10 out of 10, will be noticed by those people, because they look for all imperfections. how was he suppose to have stopped the first goal? take Nash out with a hip check? and the second?after making a great first save with his left shoulder he was down because thats what good goalies do in a scramble. he didnt know exactly where the puck was because about 3 oiler players were blocking his vision.

it looks like from now on EVERY goal he lets in will be scrutinized, analyzed, and judged by someone to be Very save-able.

when he gets picked apart even after a thrilling win, ......

Old
10-30-2003, 08:18 PM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Sadly Amen... I too have lost the faith...

I have no confidence in him anymore. (actually it went away sometime last year). But I get nervous every time there is a shot on net, or if he goes behind the net to handle the puck. He is not playing like he did 2 years ago.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:20 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Sorry, I meant the third goal... Nash's 2nd...
Whatever...

Old
10-30-2003, 08:20 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
So you are saying instead of playing the point shot (with the wide open shooting lane), you instead worry about the guy at the side? Come on, this is the friggin NHL... if you aren't focusing on the shot, they are blowing it past you.

As for freezing the puck on Nash's other goal... I'd love to know of a goaltender who can freeze a puck in that situation. Salo made an initial save, and Nash had the rebound almost instantly, less than a foot away from Salo.
Sorry dude just don't share the same opinion if he stacked the pads at an angle he could of covered the tip and the shot tell me when was the last time a goalie came into our building and Salo outplayed him straight up.

P.S. I have never ditched Salo before this is the first time I have ever lost my faith in him in his entire tenoir as an Oiler I am not the type to jump on and off the bandwagon every good or bad game.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:21 PM
Lowetide

I thought he had a pretty good game, especially considering the circumstances. Edmonton NEEDED this win, and the Jackets aren't exactly the Lloyminster Border Kings out there.

He hasn't stolen a game for the Oilers in a long time, but he contributed to tonight's victory imo.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:23 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Sorry dude just don't share the same opinion if he stacked the pads at an angle he could of covered the tip and the shot tell me when was the last time a goalie came into our building and Salo outplayed him straight up.

P.S. I have never ditched Salo before this is the first time I have ever lost my faith in him in his entire tenoir as an Oiler I am not the type to jump on and off the bandwagon every good or bad game.
What???

Are you joking? Had he stacked the pads, 2 things would have happened... 1 the puck goes under his body (because that is where the tip was headed) and into the net, thereby incurring the same wrath from you, or 2 he makes the initial save, and is completely out of position and the rebound gets put in, once again, incurring your wrath...

Sorry, a 2 pad stack is the absolute last thing you do in that situation.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:24 PM
windowlicker

Quote:

By the "Salo" way of judging goalies lately, I think Denis had a pretty weak game as well. omitting all the great saves he made, how did he let in 4 goals?
The first one was totally saveable, he should have been quicker on the lateral move.... easy. And the Bergeron one? How the hell didnt he block and deflect that puck with his blocker to the side before it entered the net?.. and the Izzy goal.. oh boy.. how could he have Not gotten his body in front of the puck before it went in??

Old
10-30-2003, 08:25 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
By the "Salo" way of judging goalies lately, I think Denis had a pretty weak game as well. omitting all the great saves he made, how did he let in 4 goals?
The first one was totally saveable, he should have been quicker on the lateral move.... easy. And the Bergeron one? How the hell didnt he block and deflect that puck with his blocker to the side before it entered the net?.. and the Izzy goal.. oh boy.. how could he have Not gotten his body in front of the puck before it went in??

Old
10-30-2003, 08:28 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Whatever...

Geez.. no need to make it personal or anything. I just gave my opinion - and I do believe that as an Oiler fan I am entitled to that right. Not to be overly critical but hey, until Salo can give me that confidence in net, I'm going to scrutinize him. Other players get it, why should Salo be exempt?

Old
10-30-2003, 08:33 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Geez.. no need to make it personal or anything. I just gave my opinion - and I do believe that as an Oiler fan I am entitled to that right. Not to be overly critical but hey, until Salo can give me that confidence in net, I'm going to scrutinize him. Other players get it, why should Salo be exempt?
Possibly because he doesn't deserve it this time... the friggin team one, and he made the stops he needed to to ensure they did. There was nothing in terms of a weak goal on him. Did he single handedly win the game for the Oilers? No, but he made a pretty big contribution.

He didn't have to make the big diving save, because he never put himself in that position. His rebound control was pretty good for the most part.

And to be honest, if a goalie has to come up with a huge save, chances are they messed something up the first time (this isn't always the case, but if you notice a lot of the huge saves Denis made tonight were because he didn't handle the initial shot well). I'd rather see a Salo game like tonight where he controls his rebounds well, then see him flub a couple of rebounds, and have to make a huge save.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:38 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Possibly because he doesn't deserve it this time... the friggin team one, and he made the stops he needed to to ensure they did. There was nothing in terms of a weak goal on him. Did he single handedly win the game for the Oilers? No, but he made a pretty big contribution.

He didn't have to make the big diving save, because he never put himself in that position. His rebound control was pretty good for the most part.

And to be honest, if a goalie has to come up with a huge save, chances are they messed something up the first time (this isn't always the case, but if you notice a lot of the huge saves Denis made tonight were because he didn't handle the initial shot well). I'd rather see a Salo game like tonight where he controls his rebounds well, then see him flub a couple of rebounds, and have to make a huge save.
Perhaps you do have a point. I mean, I'm no expert at goaltending but I felt the Oil gave the much much better effort tonight over Columbus and all they had shown for it was just barely squeaking by with a win (in OT I might add).

Closed Thread