HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Gulls jumping to AHL?

Old
04-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Geez, I'm surprised this talk didn't surface a couple years back when Anaheim as affiliated with San Diego. Geographically, that would have been an ideal situation, to jump from Cincinnati to San Diego instead of Portland

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 12:35 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

A couple of years ago, the Gulls hadn't damaged their fan base with ridiculous ticket price hikes and firing front office people who apparently knew what they were doing -- oh, and hadn't yet booted out the coach in favor of the owner's son-in-law.

Now, after piddling away a solid fan base (and hiding behind trumped-up numbers), they're in a place where they need an escape -- enter the Avalanche, and the kicking of the tires.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 06:44 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes
Geez, I'm surprised this talk didn't surface a couple years back when Anaheim as affiliated with San Diego. Geographically, that would have been an ideal situation, to jump from Cincinnati to San Diego instead of Portland
Except that a prime reason they gave for moving was that their prospects could have more teams in proximity to each other. If they'd moved to SD, they'd have had to change their tunes pretty quick.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 09:09 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
I'm assuming that the poster who is on my ignore list is referring to St. John's and not St. John if he is referring to the Maple Leafs and not the Flames.

I agree with you, Dango, it was a shame that the Leafs pulled out of St. John's after the new arena was built.

Pelts:

But it was the same exact thing that Calgary faced in Saint John was it not, but didn't the Leafs say they were never overly thrilled with Edmonton's prospects playing in virtually their backyard @ Ricoh.

The real reason the AHL left the Maritimes and especially one reason why Mile One Stadium was financed and built isn't why the Leafs bolted or the Flames left Saint John and why that city struggled to fill Harbour Station was economic factors forced the operators of those teams to look elsewhere, the lease was up in both places and the hard decision was made to in Saint John's case go dormant till a new owner showed a committment to the Flames which Omaha demostrated that it is trying to succeed.

Don't forget that Saint John is the last franchise not since the "expansion" of the AHL to win the Calder Cup, BUT NAME THE LAST franchise to win a Championship and 2 years later go "dormant".

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 09:14 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dango
Except that a prime reason they gave for moving was that their prospects could have more teams in proximity to each other. If they'd moved to SD, they'd have had to change their tunes pretty quick.
and that's one reason why San Jose said they were coming to Worcester.

Old
04-19-2006, 09:36 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes
Kevin:

The stories some of our players have relayed as to why Anaheim picked Portland is before when they were in Cincinnati is at least a four hour trip across the state to Cleveland, now it's a hour to cities like Manchester, guess who said that.

Shane O'Brien said that in my local paper Monday.

Also, Kevin Dineen's impressions of why Anaheim selected Portland, it's a 'wow' factor for these players and if u've ever been to Portland as some of us who are here or in Dango's case always return and always recommends at least one trip a year here.

it's the downtown, it's mix of nightclubs, restaurants and golf courses, but then u've got the coastal drive that reminds the players of their homes in western Canada, and where they came from.

Then there's the strong and vocal hockey tradition that's been here through it all and the small-market feel that is perhaps what makes our building unique perhaps as compared to other markets that players have been in.

Cincinnati sometimes may be too big and doesn't exactly fit the prototypical hockey market but it's easy to be overlooked there, while here you're the focus or the face in charitable work which Kevin Dineen is known for as Hartford fans know so well, players such as Zenon Konopka state that if you're happy here and we all are having fun, then that's what important.

Sure, when this team arrived from Baltimore and the success that resulted will never be duplicated, but what city hasn't in effect, "rolled w/ the tide".

Old
04-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
Don't forget that Saint John is the last franchise not since the "expansion" of the AHL to win the Calder Cup, BUT NAME THE LAST franchise to win a Championship and 2 years later go "dormant".
I thought that was an interesting question, so I looked it up:

The Buffalo Bisons won the Calder Cup in 1970 and immediately left town.
Ditto for the Pittsburgh Hornets in 1967.

Both of those were to make room for NHL franchises.

The New Brunswick Hawks won the Cup in 1982 and were the Moncton Alpines the following season. (This one's a trick - they stayed in the city, just changed names).

Ohter close calls: The Cape Breton Oilers folded 3 years after their Cup win, and the Springfield Indians left town 3 seasons after back-to-back titles (replaced, of course, by the current Falcons.

On the losing side, the Moncton Hawks folded after losing the finals in 1994, and the Fredericton Express left town after losing the Finals in 1988.

Old
04-19-2006, 04:16 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
I thought that was an interesting question, so I looked it up:

The Buffalo Bisons won the Calder Cup in 1970 and immediately left town.
Ditto for the Pittsburgh Hornets in 1967.

Both of those were to make room for NHL franchises.

The New Brunswick Hawks won the Cup in 1982 and were the Moncton Alpines the following season. (This one's a trick - they stayed in the city, just changed names).

Ohter close calls: The Cape Breton Oilers folded 3 years after their Cup win, and the Springfield Indians left town 3 seasons after back-to-back titles (replaced, of course, by the current Falcons.

On the losing side, the Moncton Hawks folded after losing the finals in 1994, and the Fredericton Express left town after losing the Finals in 1988.
u know what the Alpines became don't u Dango, the current Q Moncton WildCats

and the Indians simply moved to Worcester until Peoria bought them back there

Cape Breton now has the Screaming Eagles.

as for the Hawks, that simply was trying to reestablish what the NB franchise had started and that was simply named for Chicago's affiliation.

as for Fredericton, that was the mo for a Canadiens affiliate ever since they left Halifax and Edmonton followed them there from Halifax.

Old
04-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
u know what the Alpines became don't u Dango, the current Q Moncton WildCats

and the Indians simply moved to Worcester until Peoria bought them back there

Cape Breton now has the Screaming Eagles.

as for the Hawks, that simply was trying to reestablish what the NB franchise had started and that was simply named for Chicago's affiliation.

as for Fredericton, that was the mo for a Canadiens affiliate ever since they left Halifax and Edmonton followed them there from Halifax.
Did I have to point out that I was referring to AHL franchises, or are you just being a hornbuster on spec?

PS: I couldnt even understand the last one, but if I'm not mistaken, that's your M.O.

Old
04-20-2006, 03:47 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Did I have to point out that I was referring to AHL franchises, or are you just being a hornbuster on spec?

PS: I couldnt even understand the last one, but if I'm not mistaken, that's your M.O.

Fredericton was moved to Sherbrooke in 1989 by Montreal was it not then was moved to Quebec soon after that and then MTL went to Hamilton.

Old
04-20-2006, 11:37 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
Fredericton was moved to Sherbrooke in 1989 by Montreal was it not then was moved to Quebec soon after that and then MTL went to Hamilton.

Actually, you're not even close. Sherbrooke was the Montreal farm club from 1984 to 1990, when they moved to Fredericton. Fredericton served the Quebec Nordiques from 1991 to 1988, then Quebec moved their team to Halifax as the Citadels in 1988-89 and stayed there through the end of the 1993 season, when they moved to Cornwall.

Old
04-21-2006, 06:45 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Actually, you're not even close. Sherbrooke was the Montreal farm club from 1984 to 1990, when they moved to Fredericton. Fredericton served the Quebec Nordiques from 1991 to 1988, then Quebec moved their team to Halifax as the Citadels in 1988-89 and stayed there through the end of the 1993 season, when they moved to Cornwall.
Why are you even bothering wasting your time?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2006, 12:24 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
Why are you even bothering wasting your time?
why did u bother posting, Pelts

Old
04-21-2006, 06:59 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Here's a stunning reversal

the ECHL has granted the re-activation of the dormant Cincinnati Cyclones for a fifth time

http://www.cycloneshockey.com

Old
04-23-2006, 09:13 PM
steeliefan

I think the Idaho Steelheads would make a FANTASTIC AHL team!

steeliefan is offline   Reply With Quote