HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time to trade Salo and find a younger replacement?

View Poll Results: Is it time to trade Salo and find a younger replacement?
Yes 31 60.78%
No 20 39.22%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 09:17 PM
elphy101

vCash: 500
Is it time to trade Salo and find a younger replacement?

This has been a topic for several threads during the last few weeks. I figured it was time for a poll.

Old
10-31-2003, 09:44 AM
AEKaki

Sebastien Caron would be available from the Penguins after Fleury's special emergence.

Old
10-31-2003, 09:54 AM
barto

But what do you do with Salo? Who's going to take him and his $3.9 million salary if he's not performing well?

I think I heard this on Total Sports (TEAM 1260 radio in Edmonton) that if Salo doesn't play well, he's untradeable, but if he plays well, the Oilers may as well hang onto him...

So I'm not against having a younger guy (in-between Salo's age and JDD's age) in goal here, but it does beg the question of how you get rid of a guy like Salo.

Bart

Old
10-31-2003, 10:02 AM
Kerplunk

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
But what do you do with Salo? Who's going to take him and his $3.9 million salary if he's not performing well?

I think I heard this on Total Sports (TEAM 1260 radio in Edmonton) that if Salo doesn't play well, he's untradeable, but if he plays well, the Oilers may as well hang onto him...

So I'm not against having a younger guy (in-between Salo's age and JDD's age) in goal here, but it does beg the question of how you get rid of a guy like Salo.

Bart
Indeed, this is the problem. I suspect the Oilers would have to eat a chunk of Salo's salary in order to move him, and that's assuming anyone would want him. Exactly what would you want him for based on his last year and a bit of play?

Instead we should be hoping that Salo can find his form again and bridge the gap until Deslauries is ready to step into the NHL. The Oilers have an option on his services at the end of this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he finds himself a free agent if he has another bad year.

Old
10-31-2003, 10:44 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk
Indeed, this is the problem. I suspect the Oilers would have to eat a chunk of Salo's salary in order to move him, and that's assuming anyone would want him. Exactly what would you want him for based on his last year and a bit of play?

Instead we should be hoping that Salo can find his form again and bridge the gap until Deslauries is ready to step into the NHL. The Oilers have an option on his services at the end of this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he finds himself a free agent if he has another bad year.
I agree, EXCEPT that JDD is likely 2 years from being an NHL backup, never mind a starter. Assuming he moves on to the AHL next year (lockout year in the NHL), then another year in the NHL as a backup, and he's finally ready to start in the third year AFTER this one, assuming all goes well. At least that's a realistic progression, but it could be a little earlier if he stands on his head, or later if he has some problems along the way.

That's kinda why I was thinking of someone around the mid-point age of JDD's and Salo's age that could provide some 'veteran' leadership & be a decent starter while JDD comes through the ranks. If Salo's time is up this year (either with a trade during the season or his option isn't picked up at the end of it) then we'd need someone as an interim starting goalie until JDD is ready.

And we'd better have more than just JDD in the system in case he doesn't work out for whatever reason!

Bart

Old
10-31-2003, 10:56 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

I'm not sure Salo would be tradeable this season, but unless the old Tommy returns, I don't see us picking up his option. I mean, if we're going to have mediocre goaltending, it should cost us $1 million, not $4 million.

Normally, I'd say pick up a guy like Noronen or Hurme during the season. I'm not sure how the probable lockout will affect that sort of planning, though.

Old
10-31-2003, 11:27 AM
Oiltalk

How much younger can we make this team? Their youth is what has been the cause of their slow starts and early playoff exits for quite a while now. Leave this team together, except for the possible Comrie trade, and see what transpires from the CBA.

Old
10-31-2003, 11:49 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
How much younger can we make this team? Their youth is what has been the cause of their slow starts and early playoff exits for quite a while now. Leave this team together, except for the possible Comrie trade, and see what transpires from the CBA.
I don't think age is really the issue... it's bang for our buck. And right now, Salo isn't delivering much bang for our buck. If the Oilers could locate a replacement who could do an equal or better job for less money after the season, I'd be down with it- whether the guy is 22, 27, 32, 37, 57, whatever.

The only advantage with having a younger guy (and this applies to any position, not just goalie) is they're usually cheaper and we'd retain their rights past the length of the contract.

Teams like St Louis and Philadelphia are currently getting good value for their goaltending dollar from Hackett and Osgood, who aren't spectacular but are solid and affordable. The rationale for having Salo, at twice that money, was that he's supposed to provide the Oilers with more. The reason we're paying Salo the highest salary on the team is that he's supposed to give the Oilers an advantage in net over most opponents. He's just not doing that- and that's why I see the Oilers declining to pick up the option on him after the season.

Old
10-31-2003, 06:10 PM
creative giant*

just a general thought....what if JDD doesn't turn out to be the oilers goalie of the future? everyone has him pegged as the starter in 4-5 years, but what if he's a total bust? i'd like to think the oilers have some sort of backup plan in place but it doesn't look that way right now. even us fans are patiently awaiting our 'saviour'. I'm not saying he will be bad, just what if.... We could end up losing a lot of depth on offense to acquire another temp goalie if JDD doesn't pan out, and at this point that is really a step back. just something to chew on

Old
10-31-2003, 08:20 PM
GorillazXL

Trading Salo would not give Edmonton much in return, especially with his inflated stats and salary. Edmonton should ride him out...JDD is on his way up and would need a "Salo" to bail him out of trouble from time to time...I still think Salo has a few good years in him, we're just seeing a player in bit of slump...something that he will get out of... If this was late in the season then I would worry, look at Belfour two years ago when he was in a rut and everyone in TO wanted to shop him. He's now giving the Leafs a chance every night.

GXL

Old
10-31-2003, 09:01 PM
T$$$

vCash:
The only way we win on this one is if Conklin and Salo both get red hot. Then we could trade Salo and Comrie, get a big return, and trim even more off the payroll. How would you all feel about going with Conklin if he got hot?

Old
10-31-2003, 11:05 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T$$$
The only way we win on this one is if Conklin and Salo both get red hot. Then we could trade Salo and Comrie, get a big return, and trim even more off the payroll. How would you all feel about going with Conklin if he got hot?

and what happens when Conklin cools off? then we have...... ???

see, thats why youre not a GM of an NHL team.

Old
11-01-2003, 04:09 AM
Yanner39

I said no. I've been ripping Salo alot these last few weeks but it doesn't mean I want him traded. By the same token, it will depend on the deal. We get someone like luongo in return, then I guess they should make that trade. The Oilers have always had top notch goaltending. I think they can get that with Salo but I would only trade him he they get that in return.

Closed Thread