HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa or Carolina?

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Hands

vCash: 500
If I had to choose just one, I would rather face Carolina. But since it's pretty likely that if we go anywhere we'd have to beat both, I'd rather face Ottawa first before they get back closer to full health.

It sure would be nice to play Carolina again and seek some gratification after that bogus unsportsmanlike call put us 2 short in game 4 against them.

Old
04-18-2006, 09:31 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

All of Ottawa's "rested players" arguments are pointless if the team can't come together and gel when it counts anyway.

That's what Senators fans are watching for, and why tonight's game against the Rangers is basically the last chance to get a good flow and momentum going before the games that count.

I don't think it really matters for the Habs who they face. They'll probably have a similar game plan regardless.

Old
04-18-2006, 10:41 AM
oli500

Chosing wich team is a loser mentality. I dont care who we face. If you match the other teams intensity anyone can beat anyone no matter how talented a team is.

Old
04-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Matrix

I would go for the Canes but we sure all know that a miracle would mostly be needed for either of those 2 teams.

But miracles do happen so....

Old
04-18-2006, 02:29 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Here are my thoughts on both teams:

Ottawa:

What they have going for them:

- The best defence in the NHL IMO.
- Maybe the best foursome up front with Heatley, Spezza, Alfredsson and Havlat. 4 legit franchise guys.
- Great depth up front as well.
- They can beat you 2-1, 6-1 or 6-5.

What they do not have going for them:

- Goaltending. Emery looks injured and simply mentally exhausted. Hasek will likely not the start the series. Goaltending is KEY.
- Lack of a true #2 center. Smolinski is not the answer and Arnason has dissapointed.
- A history of playoff chokes and scoring droughts.
- Not a lot of success against the Habs.
- Injury to Phillips, he could miss the start.

Carolina:

What they have going for them:

- Maybe the deepest group of offensive forwards in hockey. Staal, Brind'Amour, Weight, Stillman, Cullen, Whitney, Williams, Recchi, Vasicek and maybe Ladd if they use him.
- Insane center depth with Staal, Brind'Amour, Weight and Adams.
- Gerber has had a solid season.
- They don't take many penalties, they are fast, intense and hard working.
- They owned us all season long.

What they do not have going for them:

- A late season slump. They have not played good hockey for awhile now.
- No Erik Cole as he will miss the first 2 rounds.
- A no-name defence that could crack at any time.
- Gerber has let in some awfully soft goals recently.

I'll say it again, not only did Theo hand the Canes plenty of goals, but in our last 3 games against them Markov was not playing. This is a huge factor.

Ottawa scares me, but goaltending is so huge in the post-season. Hasek is a major question mark and we can beat Emery. That said, Carolina is not playing good hockey right now and their defence is exploitable. I keep switching back and forth between who I prefer...
I think you are bang-on. Nice commentary. You've changed my mind.

But I still think Ottawa can be had by us, THEN we get Carolina. booya.

I'm not sold on Heatley or Spezza's character. Not to mention Alfredsson who is has always been a playoff no-show (I mean, what captain criticizes one of the rookie-of-the-year candidates in public? That was dumb.).

Their defense is solid, but maybe lacks agility. And their goaltending blows.

Fisher still looks hurt to me the way he's playing. He's not the same guy at 80%. He needs to be healthy to play his game and he's not. Chara's hand takes him out of the offense. Redden will cough the puck up. Phillips is hurt. Havlat is obviously hurt or he would have played a few games to get his legs.

I think there's a real opportunity here if our defense gets back to a simple game, our goalies catch fire and we get some leadership from Koivu-Kovalev-Markov, and maybe Zednik shows up.

Old
04-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Capitano

Carolina. Revenge is sweet.

Cap

Old
04-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Ottawa.

Why Ottawa's fans feels the needs to explained to us they are getting back their players?

We know that. Still the series as to be play before a winner comes out.

Even though the probability might be smaller for us:

we can still hopes Kovalev can gets the upper hand on Chara.
we can still thinks Volchenkov might looks a bit less effective against «playoff speed»
we can still hopes to stop a top line with Spezza as his center.
etc...

The odds are for you. But.

We have done it before and the feeling the habs fans got is that we could re-do it. And the players thinks the same way. The last 2 games means nothing as a whole since the defense was so hurt for the Sens but the habs still had an «easy» way going out of the zone and that's mostly the defensive game against your forwards that was in effect.

We can definitely compete. And honestly, not much more than that is needed for the habs to gets on top usually. We are another beast comes playoffs time.

Old
04-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Doc Hollywood

Mostly everyone here is saying that they would prefer Monteal to play the Sens. Alot of people writing the Sens off? Be careful what you wish for

Old
04-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

I think Ottawa is a sitting duck. With their goaltending. I predict they will be upset early.

We would be lucky to win more than a game against Carolina

Old
04-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Ubiyca

I rather Ottawa of course.

Old
04-18-2006, 04:11 PM
livingfree

Send a message via MSN to livingfree
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs-stars2006
Ottawa!! If we play ottawa we win in 6 or 7. if we play carolina we lose in 5.
That exacly what im thinking, but we never know..

Old
04-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Guriken

Any of these two is the same, playoffs are a new season and I think that we'll be the cinderella team.. This is the drive for 25!

Old
04-18-2006, 04:32 PM
psychonaut

I would say Ottawa
1-its would be a great series
2-One or the other we are still the underdog
3-Kovalev will feel on home ice, in Ottawa and Montreal

Old
04-18-2006, 04:33 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hollywood
Mostly everyone here is saying that they would prefer Monteal to play the Sens. Alot of people writing the Sens off? Be careful what you wish for
Half of those would rather play the Sens because it would be a lot more fun as a whole. Doesnt mean we takes anyone slighly.

+ It's how the players will see it that matters, not the fans. Players in Montreal knows too well the fans will go crazy no matters what. Heck after 20 games this year, the medias were asking who was the MVP of the season this year (i'm not kidding) and the answer from Kovalev was: «Come on guys, way to soon»
Last time we faced a top seed team, there were quotes along the line of: «We should not even lost a game to this team, we will owned them» (Boston). While the habs players were thinking along the lines of: «Not going to be easy but we stand a chance, we'll have to play better than now».

We already knows the habs thinks this wont be easy but that they got a chance. How's yours?

Old
04-19-2006, 04:37 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
Half of those would rather play the Sens because it would be a lot more fun as a whole. Doesnt mean we takes anyone slighly.

+ It's how the players will see it that matters, not the fans. Players in Montreal knows too well the fans will go crazy no matters what. Heck after 20 games this year, the medias were asking who was the MVP of the season this year (i'm not kidding) and the answer from Kovalev was: «Come on guys, way to soon»
Last time we faced a top seed team, there were quotes along the line of: «We should not even lost a game to this team, we will owned them» (Boston). While the habs players were thinking along the lines of: «Not going to be easy but we stand a chance, we'll have to play better than now».

We already knows the habs thinks this wont be easy but that they got a chance. How's yours?
Yeah, but regular season means little. The Canes won a lot of close games. A LOT. And we had the injury bug, coaching change, goalie changes, system changes. The Canes took a major nosedive on defense in the second half, Gerber is struggling right now, Staal is a kid, Weight and Recchi look old, they have a defense by committee, their special teams are average at best, and the biggest factor of all: no Erik Cole.

They do have an awesome system with a lot of movement, but I think our coaches have gotten a good look at it and will be able to dissect it. I'd be surprised if they're able to top what they've shown so far system-wise. They have good offensive depth, excellent speed, and veteran leadership with an excellent coach.

Going into those Boston series it was obvious that our quick forwards would get to their defense. If not for the Kovalev incident in 2004, we would have taken them out sooner. It's all about matchups.

Old
04-19-2006, 06:23 AM
Bytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
I think Ottawa is a sitting duck. With their goaltending. I predict they will be upset early.

We would be lucky to win more than a game against Carolina
Ottawa has never had goaltending in the play-offs.Ray is much better then lalime.Montreal would have a very hard time with the offence ottawa has.

Closed Thread