HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs to draft 16th or 30th

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2006, 10:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Habs to draft 16th or 30th

Right now the Habs have the 16th pick but we can move up with a win tomorrow night to 17th (we would be tied with the Oilers @95 pts but we have more wins, thus we'd pick 17th, Oilers 16th if tampa lost)

Tampa holds the first tie breaker over the Habs with one more win, so if they get a point or more tomorrow and we don't get any points, then we pick 15th.

So if the Habs win tomorrow, we will be picking 17th or 30th.

Got to think Tampa will win, so if we lose we will be picking 15th or 30th.

If we get one point tomorrow then we pick either 15th or 16th depending on tampa.

Last edited by montreal: 04-18-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old
04-17-2006, 10:38 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Well apparantly the 2006 Entry Draft will be pretty weak, so no bigee.

Old
04-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Who's gonna be available at 30?

Old
04-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan
OH YEAH

Old
04-17-2006, 10:47 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
30 would be nice I have always liked that pick!

Old
04-17-2006, 10:54 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota

I have faith in Savard/Timmons finding some value, they have done so in every draft they have been a part of. People like to label drafts, but imo it's premature to do so cause it's impossible to know how a large group of 18-19 year olds will develop/progress. I personally am not all that high on this draft, and think next years looks much better but I still think the Habs can get some sort of assets to add to the system.

Old
04-17-2006, 10:55 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan
about 500 players

Old
04-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I have faith in Savard/Timmons finding some value, they have done so in every draft they have been a part of. People like to label drafts, but imo it's premature to do so cause it's impossible to know how a large group of 18-19 year olds will develop/progress. I personally am not all that high on this draft, and think next years looks much better but I still think the Habs can get some sort of assets to add to the system.
Same here , looking back we were able to grab guys like Higgins(14) and Chipchura(18) so i'm sure the team will find something interesting .

Old
04-17-2006, 11:15 PM
NWT Habs Fan

A middle of the pack first rounder is still a potential NHL'er down the road if all goes well. I am sure we will get some asset of value to the organization. Also, Timmins and company have been finding some real nice gems in the later rounds as well, so we cannot count out what they can do with those other picks as we will be in the middle of each round and have only traded away our sixth round pick (for Simpson) from what I can recall.

Old
04-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Right now the Habs have the 16th pick but we can move up with a win tomorrow night to 17th (we would be tied with the Oilers @95 pts but we have more wins, thus we'd pick 17th, Oilers 16th if tampa lost)

Tampa holds the first tie breaker over the Habs with one more win, so if they get a point or more tomorrow and we don't get any points, then we pick 15th.

If we get one point tomorrow then we pick either 15th or 16th depending on tampa.
Why even worry about the draft position at this time...that what teams do that dont make the playoffs..... A little premature IMO

Old
04-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Slick Nick

Any interesting D to be drafted around 16th?

Old
04-18-2006, 12:01 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:

Who are the top picks available at the draft?

Old
04-18-2006, 01:53 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=2224&hubname=

Old
04-18-2006, 02:42 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota
my dad babysat the guy in you're avatar

MONTREAL PREVAILS

Old
04-18-2006, 06:36 AM
NewHabsEra*

Our first rounders since Boivin hired the new scouting staff:

2001: Komisarek 7th overall (graduated) Perezhogin 25th overall (graduated)

2002: Chris Higgins 14th overall (graduated)

2003: Andrei Kostitsyn 10th overall (will highly probably graduate next season)

2004: Chipchura 18th overall (I change sexe if this guy doesnt become at least a good third line center.. He has everything suited for the NHL)

2005: Carey Price 5th overall (Im almost as much confident as Chipchura he becomes at least a pretty good started in the NHL one day.. I think he has huge upside)

Actually, I see none of our first rounders since 2001 flop.. Some could think Perezhogin will but I highly doubt, its a matter of confidence and adaptation issue more than anything.. In the long run, I think Perezhogin can become a solid first line winger in the mold of Afinogenov..

Chris Higgins has already made his mark in the NHL, 20 goals in his first NHL season and plays a great all around game.. Some thought he hadnt the offensive skills to play on the top 2 lines, I always thought he could play anywhere from the third to the first line..

Kostitsyn has the set skills to become something real great, not the same type of player Perezhogin is, could adapt faster to the NHL.. Both will be great offensive weapons for us in the future..

I said numerous times in the past Komisarek would take long to develop and reach his full potential, he progressed a big deal this year but hasnt ended his progression yet.. He is already a force in the defensive zone some nights, but will get more constant in the future.. He will never be an offensive minded defenseman, will never be as good as Phaneuf in the offensive zone but will get more involved offensively and his shot will hit the net with more regularity at some point.. He is a winner, a guy we will win with.. I see a captain or an assistant captain in him... Chipchura Komisarek and Higgins will have a letter on their jersey at some point..

Finally the Price pick wasnt a favorite one at the time but with Théodore gone, this kid is our future in net.. Ive been impressed the few time I saw him keep the net, he has the size, the skills, the maturity to become something great.. Rolly hold a diamond to polish in his hands..

Outside our first rounders, Plekanec, a third round pick graduated as well.. Hasnt had the chance to show up offensively but will certainly have the chance to rack points with more regularity in the future..

OByrn, Emelin, Grabovski...

That lead me to wonder.. Can we afford to trade our first rounder this year to improve our roster short term? Dreaming of big Bert..

Old
04-18-2006, 06:56 AM
gars59

the habs should draft nigel williams ou ty wishart or ivan vishnevsky

Old
04-18-2006, 07:51 AM
Matrix

Or they are ready to shake the Habs world again and draft............another goalie like Bernier, Berra or the tall and impressive Helenius....

But seriously, we never know 'cause as much as we think we're so deep in nets, and knowing that we certainly need d-men more than goalies, what if we're stuck with Huet and Aebisher for next year, what if Danis needs to be move because he doesn't see those openings here in Montreal, what if Heino never progresses like he should 'cause he ain't playing, what if Halak develops in a good goalie but not a starter, and finally what some people in the management begins to worry a little, they shouldn't but it's a ''what if'', about Price's inconsistency, what if they think that one of those 3 could develop into something more stable and consistent than Price could ever be.

Bernier is pretty small though so I would be hesitant, but Berra and Helenius showed great things lately. And if the BPA really applies, well isn't possible than those 3 guys becomes the BPA at the rank that we should choose since it's a pretty ''poor'' draft? 'Cause besides Vishevski, Wishart and Williams, who could all be taken before we choose, what other d-men is there out there????

But find a little strange that we keep hearing about picking a d-men when pratically everybody on this boards says that's, since it's a crapshoot, which I don't believe, you should always go with the BPA and not a specific position....

Last edited by Matrix: 04-18-2006 at 08:24 AM.
Old
04-18-2006, 08:09 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix
Or they are ready to skake the Habs world again and draft............another goalie like Bernier, Berra or the tall and impressive Helenius....

But seriously, we never know 'cause as much as we think we're so deep in nets, and knowing that we certainly need d-men more than goalies, what if we're stuck with Huet and Aebisher for next year, what if Danis needs to be move because he doesn't see those openings here in Montreal, what if Heino never progresses like he should 'cause he ain't playing, what if Halak develops in a good goalie but not a starter, and finally what some people in the management begins to worry a little, they shouldn't but it's a ''what if'', about Price's inconsistency, what if they think that one of those 3 could develop into something more stable and consistent than Price could ever be.

Bernier is pretty small though so I would be hesitant, but Berra and Helenius showed great things lately. And if the BPA really applies, well isn't possible than those 3 guys becomes the BPA at the rank that we should choose since it's a pretty ''poor'' draft? 'Cause besides Vishevski, Wishart and Williams, who could all be taken before we choose, what other d-men is there out there????

But find a little strange that we keep hearing about picking a d-men when pratically everybody on this boards says that's, since it's a crapshoot, which I don't believe, you should always go with the BPA and not a specific position....
Honestly, I've been really impressed from what I've heard/seen of Helenius.

As much as I would try to avoid using our first rounder on a goalie this year obviously, if a Helenius slips (or another goalie the Habs like), I would certainly take him in, say, the third round. You can never have too many.

Old
04-18-2006, 08:11 AM
paddy

If we're lucky, one or two of these guys might still be around at 15th:

Derrick Brassard
Brian Little
Kyle Okposo
Michael Frolik
Bob Sanguinetti
James Sheppard
Nigel Williams

Brassard and Frolik could be long gone, but you never know with the way Frolik has been falling in the draft chart. Frolik would be a gamble for any team, a boom or bust type. Brassard I'm afraid will be gone before 10th. If guys like Sheppard or Brassard are still available around 10th, then maybe we could try to trade up a few places to snatch them. We'll see who's available. You never how some teams will surprise you though...

Guys that are gone for sure by the time we pick:

1- Erik Johnson
2- Phil Kessel
3- Jordan Staal
4- Jonathan Toews
5- Nicklas Backstrom
6-10 Peter Mueller

Old
04-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy

Derrick Brassard
Brian Little
Kyle Okposo
Michael Frolik
Bob Sanguinetti
James Sheppard
Nigel Williams

Brassard and Frolik could be long gone, but you never know with the way Frolik has been falling in the draft chart. Frolik would be a gamble for any team, a boom or bust type. Brassard I'm afraid will be gone before 10th. If guys like Sheppard or Brassard are still available around 10th, then maybe we could try to trade up a few places to snatch them. We'll see who's available. You never how some teams will surprise you though...

1- Erik Johnson
2- Phil Kessel
3- Jordan Staal
4- Jonathan Toews
5- Nicklas Backstrom
6-10 Peter Mueller
I still wouldn't mind us gambling on Joensu. He has fallen so much on everyone's charts, he will almost certainly be available to us, and IMO he has a high potential reward. Your list is certainly all very sound, and if by some miracle, Frolik or Brassard are available, I'd jump for joy.

Little, to me, is another Brule. He will be drafted early, and probably be a very good player, and - not that I AT ALL expect him to still be available at our pick - I don't think he's a good fit for us.

Old
04-18-2006, 08:17 AM
Matrix

Quote:

Derrick Brassard
Brian Little
Kyle Okposo
Michael Frolik
Bob Sanguinetti
James Sheppard
Nigel Williams

1- Erik Johnson
2- Phil Kessel
3- Jordan Staal
4- Jonathan Toews
5- Nicklas Backstrom
6-10 Peter Mueller
Or do we go for a risky pick and go for Joensuu even though he slipped tremendously since the beginning of the year. He was suppose to go top 5 and now he's 45th or something. But having the idea to play with Saks in a near future could certainly give him the motivation he needs.

What was the main reason for his downfall???

Old
04-18-2006, 08:18 AM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
I still wouldn't mind us gambling on Joensu. He has fallen so much on everyone's charts, he will almost certainly be available to us, and IMO he has a high potential reward.
You don't have the right to have the same idea at the same time...

Old
04-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Darz

Depending on how things shake out there could still be a couple interesting names available at 15 thru 17. Nigel Williams(although I think he should go around 10. Teams have a hard time passing on guys like this), Bobby Sanguinetti, Ty Wishart, Nick Foligno, James Sheppard.

04-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Pats Habs

Quote:

Derrick Brassard
Brian Little
Kyle Okposo
Michael Frolik
Bob Sanguinetti
James Sheppard
Nigel Williams

1- Erik Johnson
2- Phil Kessel
3- Jordan Staal
4- Jonathan Toews
5- Nicklas Backstrom
6-10 Peter Mueller
Sheppard would be awesome! I work with his dad. Any team but the Leafs, any team but the Leafs....(It'd be sad if I had to start hating him)

Old
04-18-2006, 08:25 AM
RC51

The question should be.

Drafting at about 16th and what is likely to be available, is thier a much better prospect that fits the NEED so Gainey can trade to bump up a few spaces. with only a small bump up the trade value would be rather small.

Same idea for the second round?

Closed Thread