HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs to draft 16th or 30th

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Matrix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK!
Sheppard would be awesome! I work with his dad. Any team but the Leafs, any team but the Leafs....(It'd be sad if I had to start hating him)
But he could be exactly what they needed and even though I think he'll be picked before the Leafs, depending on the lottery, if he falls to them, I wouldn't be surprised to see him wearing that blue and white.....

I don't believe he'll fall to us though. The players most likely to drop are Frolik and Sanguinetti.

Old
04-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51
The question should be.

Drafting at about 16th and what is likely to be available, is thier a much better prospect that fits the NEED so Gainey can trade to bump up a few spaces. with only a small bump up the trade value would be rather small.

Same idea for the second round?
I do like Williams a lot, and drafting a defenseman would work out nicely after all. So if Williams falls out of the Top 10, it shouldn't cost us much to trade up for him, and it would be nice. Sanguinetti is a guy that some people are super high on, and others not at all. Personally I feel he'll go early. Possibly even #2 defenseman after E.J. But with the varying scouting reports, if he somehow slips, trading up for him could be good stuff. Wishart is another guy that we might have to trade up that we might have to trade up a bit to get.

I'm sure Gainey will monitor things closely. If 3 of Sanguinetti, Williams, Wishart, and Sheppard are gone, and it's not our pick yet, I could see Gainey flipping picks with someone.

Old
04-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Roo

the top 15,16 players picked will be pretty good prospects. After that the talent pool drops.

Old
04-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo
the top 15,16 players picked will be pretty good prospects. After that the talent pool drops.
That's what a lot of people have been saying, but I don't think it's all that fair of a statement.

There are many players who aren't "consensus" top 15 or 16 picks that could turn out to be phenomenal. The goalies, Joensuu.... In the case of the goalies, if a team needs one, one could go early, dropping one of the "consensus" picks lower. And there is always an early off the board gamble or two.

Old
04-18-2006, 09:40 AM
paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix
Or do we go for a risky pick and go for Joensuu even though he slipped tremendously since the beginning of the year. He was suppose to go top 5 and now he's 45th or something. But having the idea to play with Saks in a near future could certainly give him the motivation he needs.

What was the main reason for his downfall???
I was going to mention Joensuu, but I don't know enough about him to to say if he would be a good gamble or not. Falling so much down the charts scares me a little, because even Latendresse didn't fall in the charts as much even if he was picked 45th.

Also, there's a good chance Koivu will have already retired by the time Joensuu is ready to play for the Habs, so no dice there.

Old
04-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy
I was going to mention Joensuu, but I don't know enough about him to to say if he would be a good gamble or not. Falling so much down the charts scares me a little, because even Latendresse didn't fall in the charts as much even if he was picked 45th.

Also, there's a good chance Koivu will have already retired by the time Joensuu is ready to play for the Habs, so no dice there.
That's not *necessarily* the case. Joensuu is playing in a men's league, not juniors, so if he's willing to come over to North America right away (like Bergfors did, for example), then he might be one of those Europeans on the fast track (of course, he could also bust).

I think him falling has to do with inauspicious numbers this year (but again, he's playing in a MEN'S league), and his not awe-inducing play at the WJC (at least until the bronze medal game, where I thought he was dynamite).

Anyway, we'll see. No need to talk about the draft in much depth, WHEN THERE'S PLAYOFF HOCKEY ABOUT TO BEGIN!

Old
04-18-2006, 10:11 AM
hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Right now the Habs have the 16th pick but we can move up with a win tomorrow night to 17th (we would be tied with the Oilers @95 pts but we have more wins, thus we'd pick 17th, Oilers 16th if tampa lost)

Tampa holds the first tie breaker over the Habs with one more win, so if they get a point or more tomorrow and we don't get any points, then we pick 15th.

So if the Habs win tomorrow, we will be picking 17th or 30th.

Got to think Tampa will win, so if we lose we will be picking 15th or 30th.

If we get one point tomorrow then we pick either 15th or 16th depending on tampa.

I dont get it, why would we pick 30th, doesnt the team that finishes no.1 overall pick 30th, the next pick 29th, yada yada....

Old
04-18-2006, 10:13 AM
paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab
I dont get it, why would we pick 30th, doesnt the team that finishes no.1 overall pick 30th, the next pick 29th, yada yada....
Cause we would have won the Cup!

Old
04-18-2006, 11:20 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
Any interesting D to be drafted around 16th?
Considering that this draft seems more top heavy for NA forwards, I think there will be several D still on board. Of course it's impossible to say at this point but say we land up at 16th. Take out the core big name forwards, Kessel, Backstrom, Staal, Towes, Brassard, Mueller, Okposo, Little, Frolik, Shepard, plus Johnson that's 11 players, who imo will all be gone when we pick but then you have to factor in surprise picks, teams that go off the board, and there might be a team out of the first 15 picks that goes with a goalie.

If you look at the defensemen after Johnson, Sanguinetti, Shutron, Williams, Wishart, Yuri Alexandrov, Ivan Vishnevsky, Mathieu Carle, Joe Ryan, Victor Bartley, Brain Strait, Jamie McBain, Logan Pyett, David Ruzicka, Theo Peckham.

There are some interesting defensemen although we'd have to see who's still on board for our 1st pick, but in the 2nd and other rounds, there hopefully will still be some quality guys left.

Old
04-18-2006, 11:32 AM
turnbuckle*

With a win over New Jersey we would also be tied with Colorado with 95 points and the exact same amount of wins.

What is the second tiebreaker in such a scenario?

i hope we end up 15th - IMO ther are 15 high end skaters and one goalie (Bernier) - after that there is a slight dropoff.

Wishart or Little are the ones I hope the Habs get a shot at - hopefully someone picks Bernier ahead of the Habs after a stellar under-18 performance and one of those two drop to the Habs.

Old
04-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Teufelsdreck

Habs fans shouldn't be devoting too much of their brain power to draft picks at this time, especially mid-round picks that depend on what's left of the carcass after losers such as the Bruins and Leafs have their earlier gnaws at it.

Old
04-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
With a win over New Jersey we would also be tied with Colorado with 95 points and the exact same amount of wins.

i hope we end up 15th - IMO ther are 16 high end skaters and one goalie (Bernier) - after that there is a slight dropoff.

Wishart or Little are the ones I hope the Habs get a shot at - hopefully someone picks Bernier ahead of the Habs after a stellar under-18 performance and one of those two drop to the Habs.
I may be wrong, but why would we pick Little if we didn't pick Brule. Is it really because Price was the one we wanted or because we do believe we have enough small centerman and don't believe in them anymore??? I'm not drunk but if all those interesting d-men are gone, (Vish, Wish, Will or Sangui), I would drop down a little, grab a few more picks and pick..............the goalie Helenius.......I see him and I see Kiprusoff, but that could be a problem with my TV....

Old
04-18-2006, 11:47 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

i hope we end up 15th - IMO ther are 15 high end skaters and one goalie (Bernier) - after that there is a slight dropoff.

We can't tie with the Avs cause they beat us in the season series 1-0. If we hadn't played them then it would go to goal dif and they crush us in that, so if we get 95 pts, then we would pick before the Avs but after the Oilers.

PHP Code:
I may be wrongbut why would we pick Little if we didn't pick Brule. Is it really because Price was the one we wanted or because we do believe we have enough small centerman and don't believe in them anymore??? 
I would bet that the reason the Habs took Price is because he is the one they wanted not because Brule is a smallish centerman. It's just my opinion but if you listen to the comments they made it sounds like they were so impressed with Price's attitude and maturity.

Old
04-18-2006, 11:51 AM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
I may be wrong, but why would we pick Little if we didn't pick Brule. Is it really because Price was the one we wanted or because we do believe we have enough small centerman and don't believe in them anymore??? I'm not drunk but if all those interesting d-men are gone, (Vish, Wish, Will or Sangui), I would drop down a little, grab a few more picks and pick..............the goalie Helenius.......I see him and I see Kiprusoff, but that could be a problem with my TV....
Little reminds me alot of Chris Higgins - a really solid all-around player that will go to the wall for you - his only drawback being that he is under 6 feet in height.

People sometimes forget that the draft is for 5 years down the road - Koivu and Ribeiro won't be around in five years - why not replace one of them with a center with plenty of offensive potential, and solid defensive instincts? I think Little will be a terrific second-line NHL center, and perhaps even a solid first-liner.
Basically he's Steve Yzerman's size.

We should also not forget that Ribeiro and too a lesser extent Locke failed to progress this season, so perhaps the Habs management will be a little more concerned about the future at center than they were at the 2005 draft. It's not like we have a plethora of center prospects that are slated to be top-line players. Plekanec is a maybe, Locke is a longshot at best, Chippy is a third liner, perhaps second liner someday...most of our top forward prospects are wingers. The Habs picked Price over Brule because they honestly think he'll have more impact in the NHL. Time will tell. They also had a hole to fill in nets as time has shown.

We're pretty well set in goal and on the wing, so if the 16th pick comes along and the top three defenceman are gone and the Habs feel there is a gap between the next tier of blueliners and Little is available, I hope they pick Little. Go with the BPA.

I like Little, and I keep seeing him drop in draft ratings even though his play hasn't dropped. Ultimately though, the longer Barrie goes in the playoffs, the less chance I see of that happening.

Wishart would be a good consolation prize IMO. Dan listed quite a few defencemen, and at least one or two of them will likely be around in the second round if we pick a forward in the first.

Old
04-18-2006, 11:59 AM
oli500

Since this years draft is weak, we can allways use are trading assets and get a higher pick.

Old
04-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Teufelsdreck

Gainey must have foreseen that the Habs would need someone to replace Théodore sooner or later. Of course, he didn't expect it to be that soon, or he wouldn't have agreed to such an expensive contract.

OK, now let's fast forward to the present. I doubt that Gainey would be content with Huet or Aebischer as his primary goaltender for many more seasons. In retrospect, aren't we glad that Gainey selected Price? If he hadn't taken Price with the fifth pick in 2005, he might be drafting a goaltender in 2006 or 2007 with a much lower first round pick. While we don't know for sure that Price will be a mainstay for the Habs, we don't even have a clue that someone else picked in 2006 or 2007 would be better, and that those other goaltenders would be a year or so behind Price in their stage of development.

Old
04-18-2006, 12:18 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Little reminds me alot of Chris Higgins - a really solid all-around player that will go to the wall for you - his only drawback being that he is under 6 feet in height.

People sometimes forget that the draft is for 5 years down the road - Koivu and Ribeiro won't be around in five years - why not replace one of them with a center with plenty of offensive potential, and solid defensive instincts? I think Little will be a terrific second-line NHL center, and perhaps even a solid first-liner.
Basically he's Steve Yzerman's size.

We should also not forget that Ribeiro and too a lesser extent Locke failed to progress this season, so perhaps the Habs management will be a little more concerned about the future at center than they were at the 2005 draft. It's not like we have a plethora of center prospects that are slated to be top-line players. Plekanec is a maybe, Locke is a longshot at best, Chippy is a third liner, perhaps second liner someday...most of our top forward prospects are wingers. The Habs picked Price over Brule because they honestly think he'll have more impact in the NHL. Time will tell. They also had a hole to fill in nets as time has shown.

We're pretty well set in goal and on the wing, so if the 16th pick comes along and the top three defenceman are gone and the Habs feel there is a gap between the next tier of blueliners and Little is available, I hope they pick Little. Go with the BPA.

I like Little, and I keep seeing him drop in draft ratings even though his play hasn't dropped. Ultimately though, the longer Barrie goes in the playoffs, the less chance I see of that happening.

Wishart would be a good consolation prize IMO. Dan listed quite a few defencemen, and at least one or two of them will likely be around in the second round if we pick a forward in the first.

But Little doesn't skate like Higgins and he doesn't have the speed of Higgins, plus he seems to have a better frame, stocky, good lower body strength. The thing I like about Little is how he always finds a way to put the puck in the net. Of course I might be off cause I don't see him that much but one of the first games I ever saw him at as a 16 year old he had 4 goals in that game (got it on tape I think)

Personally I don't think he would fall to us but who knows. I'd like to see Shepard or Frolik fall to us but I don't expect either. One question I have is Williams who I know next to nothing about but I think he's going to Wisconsin next year, and I get to see a lot of their games through directv.

As for goalies, I'd be all for picking one, just rather not see us get one in the 1st. Enroth and Varlamov seem to be doing well in the U-18's plus I really like Alec Richards from Yale.

Wishart is a guy I could see us being interested in and being on board when we pick, too bad I didn't catch any PG games this year but I hope to see him in the U-18's against Russia tomorrow.

Old
04-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Gainey must have foreseen that the Habs would need someone to replace Théodore sooner or later. Of course, he didn't expect it to be that soon, or he wouldn't have agreed to such an expensive contract.

OK, now let's fast forward to the present. I doubt that Gainey would be content with Huet or Aebischer as his primary goaltender for many more seasons. In retrospect, aren't we glad that Gainey selected Price? If he hadn't taken Price with the fifth pick in 2005, he might be drafting a goaltender in 2006 or 2007 with a much lower first round pick. While we don't know for sure that Price will be a mainstay for the Habs, we don't even have a clue that someone else picked in 2006 or 2007 would be better, and that other goaltender would be a year or so behind Price in their stage of development.
I have nothing against Price, don't get me wrong, I ain't jumping off a bandwagon 'cause Price had a OK season, but I'm also stating that most of good if not great goalies, were not picked in the 1st round. On the last draft, it's possible that Pavelec becomes the best goalie of the bunch. I really think it's obviously much tougher to judge a goalie, one year Pogge was ordinary at best, the other year, he's the next coming of Roy, Brodeur and Hasek all in one.

That's why you never have too much of those and that's why choosing them in the 2nd or 3rd round could turned out to be just as good.

Old
04-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
One year Pogge was ordinary at best, the other year, he's the next coming of Roy, Brodeur and Hasek all in one.
Classic TSN overhype of a prospect in the World Juniors. They pick one or two guys every tournament to do this with. This year was Pogge and Downie, who both played great, but were not the "GODS" TSN made them. A few years ago Jordan Tootoo was not the "God" TSN made him out to be either.

Old
04-18-2006, 01:44 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
I still wouldn't mind us gambling on Joensuu. He has fallen so much on everyone's charts, he will almost certainly be available to us, and IMO he has a high potential reward.

I would be all for it. Draft a safe dman, as suggested by Montreal, in the 2nd round, but go for the home run in the first round.

If Joensuu reaches his potential, the pick will be even better than Koivu in 1993.

But it sures is a high risk pick... It's not as if we can't afford it though...

Old
04-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

I would take a flyer on Foligno. Or maybe trade up to draft Sheppard(8-10th).(Offer Riberio to switch picks)

Doubt the top 4-5 picks will be available for trade.

Old
04-18-2006, 01:54 PM
paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
I would be all for it. Draft a safe dman, as suggested by Montreal, in the 2nd round, but go for the home run in the first round.

If Joensuu reaches his potential, the pick will be even better than Koivu in 1993.

But it sures is a high risk pick... It's not as if we can't afford it though...
Anyone have a scouting report on Joensuu?

Old
04-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500
Since this years draft is weak, we can allways use are trading assets and get a higher pick.
Or perhaps even better, trade down a few spots. If none of the more elite prospects falls through to 16thish, and we get an inkling that a guy we like might still be around 25th, it might turn out to be a really good year to trade down, as opposed to trading up. Maybe you get a Peckham/Ryan combination, or a Shutron/Giroux or some other late 1st/+extra 2nd combo with a trade-down that ends up being better than just taking a stab at who you thought was best at 16th.

Old
04-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Im sure would have taken Price with the 8th or 9th pick too.... just because he was drafted 5th overall, doesnt mean he could really round out. I dont know, but from what i have seen from him in person in a pre season game, he was very good. But compared to other goalies taken in the top 10, he doesnt seem to have their ceilings...

Old
04-18-2006, 02:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
I have nothing against Price, don't get me wrong, I ain't jumping off a bandwagon 'cause Price had a OK season, but I'm also stating that most of good if not great goalies, were not picked in the 1st round. On the last draft, it's possible that Pavelec becomes the best goalie of the bunch. I really think it's obviously much tougher to judge a goalie, one year Pogge was ordinary at best, the other year, he's the next coming of Roy, Brodeur and Hasek all in one.

That's why you never have too much of those and that's why choosing them in the 2nd or 3rd round could turned out to be just as good.
Since you can never be sure, then cover all your bases. Axiom: Pick nothing but goaltenders in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. Maybe one of them will turn out to be a winner.

Closed Thread