HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs to draft 16th or 30th

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Garp

vCash: 500
Here's My list (I didn't mention the players that I think will be taken in the top 10)

1- Frolik (Potential : if he falls)
2 and 3- Sheppard or Brassard (I don't know which one I like the most.)
4 - Tlusty (Don't know why but I have the feeling he will fall to us and he's Savard kind of pick. From what I heard, he's similar to Havlat)
5- Williams (I saw him one time and I think he has a lot of potential)
6- Wishart (I saw him two times and he reminds me of Coburn)
7- Little (I'm not a fan of Little, But if he's the one who's left...)
8- Stewart ( I have mixed feelings about him, could be a good PF, but I don't see a lot of potential...)
9- Sanguinetti (From whta I saw (2 games): Two words = Ron Hainsey)
10- (Dark horse) Cal Clutterbuck: Hard working forward with some potential. Reminds me of Mike Richards.)

Really don't like : Joey Ryan (Slow and didn't get better with time)

Old
04-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
...The thing I like about Little is how he always finds a way to put the puck in the net...

Personally I don't think he would fall to us but who knows. I'd like to see Shepard or Frolik fall to us but I don't expect either.
One good thing about picking 16thish - as opposed, say, to 20thish - is that I think there is a pretty good chance that somebody we didn't think we'd get a chance at, will in fact be there. NHL teams always have a tradition of getting a few surprises into those 10-15 spots, maybe big defensemen, this year maybe the goalies, or maybe a favourite European in a year when the Europeans are being a bit overlooked... all of which makes me Supremely Confident that something weird like a Sheppard, Little, Frolik, or similarly rated prospect falling to us will actually happen. (Whether we pick them or not is another story).

I'm a big Little fan. Frighteningly enough, when I stop to count, these playoffs are now pushing my games total for Barrie over 20 this season. So Little is probably going to finish up as my most-viewed top prospect. I acknowledge that the Habs probably won't be interested, in the slim-but-possible event that Little falls down to us. But if he does fall, some team is going to luck out. I'll even go out on a big limb and suggest that Little might be one of the most NHL-ready prospects in the draft this year. Which most people would perhaps guffaw at. But he is the kind of guy who has the smarts and determination to adjust to any role in any situation, he has a "pro aura" already, which IMHO is more rare in junior players than the 100 pt scoring totals is. It's never fair to compare anybody to an Yzerman, but there sure are a lot of Yzerman-like aspects to Little's game, IMO.

Old
04-18-2006, 01:35 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I'm a big Little fan.
That's weird.

Old
04-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Maybe we could deal Riberio, Abs and our 2nd round pick to draft Sheppard.

Old
04-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

[QUOTE=Blind Gardien
I'm a big Little fan. Frighteningly enough, when I stop to count, these playoffs are now pushing my games total for Barrie over 20 this season. So Little is probably going to finish up as my most-viewed top prospect. I acknowledge that the Habs probably won't be interested, in the slim-but-possible event that Little falls down to us. But if he does fall, some team is going to luck out. I'll even go out on a big limb and suggest that Little might be one of the most NHL-ready prospects in the draft this year. Which most people would perhaps guffaw at. But he is the kind of guy who has the smarts and determination to adjust to any role in any situation, he has a "pro aura" already, which IMHO is more rare in junior players than the 100 pt scoring totals is. It's never fair to compare anybody to an Yzerman, but there sure are a lot of Yzerman-like aspects to Little's game, IMO. [/QUOTE]

A couple of months ago I was high on Little. But wasn't there a concussion problem?

Old
04-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Depend how it goes on draft day, but if the propert context gets into places.

I'd trade down and picks Joensuu. Depending how many positions are needed to still be safe getting the guy, we would have an extra low 2nd or 3rd round pick. I'd used the 2nd and 3rd rounders to gets some Defensemen.

There are some good big D to finds in the 2-3rd rounds sometimes. I havent check for this year however.

Old
04-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Some people are arguing about this draft class being weak, but there are always gems to be found.

Some names that interests me:

Sheppard (wishful thinking, but who knows, we could trade up)
Stewart (perhaps not that much potential, but he plays with passion and drive)
Emmerton (he intrigues me, saw somewhere he may be a bit better than Stewart...)
Williams (Physical mammoth D... what's not to love)
Vishnevsky (offensive D, that we don't really have right now)
Clutterbuck (passion, drive, grit, aggression...)

Old
04-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Scotianhab

I saw Sheppard play 3 times this year all against the Mooseheads and he played very well. I like him alot. Also Ryan Hillier of the Moose would be a nice pick to think about in the 2nd or 3rd round. He'll probably go in the 2nd round.

Old
04-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab
I dont get it, why would we pick 30th, doesnt the team that finishes no.1 overall pick 30th, the next pick 29th, yada yada....
yeah can someone answer this?

Old
04-18-2006, 08:53 PM
gars59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso
yeah can someone answer this?
win the cup

Old
04-18-2006, 09:13 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Well it's 16th or 30th.

Old
04-18-2006, 09:24 PM
turnbuckle*

With the 16th selection, the Habs select...

Well it's official - the Habs will be picking 16th unless we fool them all and win the Cup.

Top ten players expected to be gone before Habs select:

Johnson
Kessel
Toews
Staal
Mueller
Backstrom
Brassard
Sheppard
Okposo
Williams

Next tier ( some may sneak in top 10):
Tlusty
Frolik
Little
Sanguinetti
Wishart
Bernier
Stewart
Forney
Helenius
Emmerton
Vishnevsky

Montreal will likely be selecting a player from the second group.

I like Frolik, Little and Wishart, but I have a feeling all will be gone by the 16th pick. If that's the case, and Tlusty and Sanguinetti are also gone, these would be the top ranked players left for the Habs:

Bernier
Stewart
Forney
Helenius
Emmerton
Vishnevsky

Two goalies, a winger, center and defenceman. I really hope one or both of the goalies really blow it up at the under 18s and end up being picked in the top 15, leaving the Habs with one of the players I really covet. To me there is a drop off after the top 15 if all goes according to plan. Of course that rarely happens.

Stewart and Forney would seem like the most appealing players out of the remaining group.

I'm interested in knowing some other posters' darkhorses.

I really would like to see Wishart drop to the Habs, but I can't see Tampa passing on him. They love drafting size, and they need some young D prospects.

Old
04-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I've seen Emmerton play a couple of times and if no d-men is still available, he could be a good pick. Or I like Vishnevski very much too so. Wishart and Williams will be gone. Or I would trade my pick up a little in order to get more picks and go for Joensuu as a long shot.

We should make this a sticky 'cause we will bring this up just prior to the draft with the same questions....

Old
04-19-2006, 11:21 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy
Anyone have a scouting report on Joensuu?

Not a scouting report, but interesting comparisons with previous Finnish first round forwards prospects.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=239543

If this is a weak draft and Joensuu falls to the 2nd round as it seems the trend around here, then these guys really missed something...

As they are seing a lot more Joensuu than Canadians, I would say WJC/U18 performances are overrated here... That's legitimate though.

Old
04-19-2006, 01:00 PM
paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
Not a scouting report, but interesting comparisons with previous Finnish first round forwards prospects.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=239543

If this is a weak draft and Joensuu falls to the 2nd round as it seems the trend around here, then these guys really missed something...

As they are seing a lot more Joensuu than Canadians, I would say WJC/U18 performances are overrated here... That's legitimate though.
Thanks.

From what they say, and if it's really the case, I would perhaps seriously consider him if some of the guys I mentionned earlier were not available anymore. Haven't seen him play though...

Old
04-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Matrix

Obviously a game isn't everything but another name that nobody mentioned and seemed high on some people's list is Jamie McGinn. Not an incredible tournament so far but 2 goals today against Russia. So anybody has a good scouting report for me??. Asked the prospects boards and X-Sharkie had good overall report on the guy, did anybody here saw him play???

Closed Thread