HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HABS games in HD or not?

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Habsruleen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo
So, is there anyone here lucky enough to watch playoffs in HD ? How do you find CBC-HD broadcast ?
Does some get HD over-the-air in Montreal ?
I watched the Ottawa game yesterday on CBC HD and it looked okay. It was garbage compared to the Oilers game in the afternoon on NBC however (which wasn't in HD on CBC).

Old
04-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Nyclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player
it's 480p

btw I know what progressive means, it's 60 frames per second. While interlaced is at 30, but it's a little bit more complex I know. Anyways, I stand on my first claim, HD is crap.
Progressive is 30 Frames a second, and so IS interlaced. The difference lies in line sweeping: You get 252 odd-line sweep then 252 even-line sweep in one frame, and, half a frame is a field. Two fields equals a frame of full image and motion (so it's 30 images swept 2 times on the screen - simili 60 frames/sec). In the case of progressive, it's still 30 frames/sec but within a digital domain, meaning you encode/process/decode. So when you look at a progressive program, you loose those field sweep at 1/60 of a second making motion looking blured sinced the progressive image is static for 1/30 of a second.

As for 1080i, it's just a 480p line-doubled within a digital domain to create the "old line sweep fields feel" to the image we badly needed from analogic systems. In the near future (when bandwidths problems are solved), we'll receive 1080p at 60 frames a sec which will finally be the pinnacle and reference for HDTV - great resolution AND motion.

Hope this helps!

edit:dyslexia

Last edited by Nyclaus: 04-24-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old
04-24-2006, 11:47 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
So, is there anyone here lucky enough to watch playoffs in HD ? How do you find CBC-HD broadcast ?
i watched the sens games in hd on a 70'' plasma screen, looked great but there was baseball at the same time in high def. and the baseball image was clearly better.

Old
04-24-2006, 01:41 PM
Thibaj

Quote:
CBC only shows game in HD when Sens or Habs play at home.
Btw, does anyone here get HD over-the-air ? If you do, could you please tell us how to get it (where to buy tuner and antenna, how hard to install).
I don't have HDTV anymore since I moved last month and the tv belongs to my ex-roommate, but this year I watched some games on CBC-HD with a cheap Over the Air Antenna and compared it to the image we have with Illico and it was a bit better Over the Air (because of the compression that Videotron put on their digital channels). But really it wasn't a big difference. Living in Montreal, we were receiving the signal with a force between 75% and 80%, so the image was perfectly clear.

We already had the ATSC digital TV tuner built-in our TV, so we only needed a "rabbit ears" antenna. We already had a RCA antenna, maybe it was worth 20$, but a 10$ antenna would have probably provided the same quality.

If you don't have the built-in ATSC tuner you can buy it refurb for 150$ here:

http://www.refurbdepot.com/productde...roduct_ID=3719

Old
04-24-2006, 01:51 PM
canada_habs2006

Quote:
i live near Niagara Falls, and recently purchased an hdtv tuner card for my PC over ebay for $50. i hooked it up to my old steel rotator antenna, and now i get NBC, PBS, CBS, ABC, FOX, CBC, SUN TV all for free in amazing mint quality HD.

the Ottawa Game looked pretty good NBC's games were good too, especially with good quality sound. it makes you feel like your actually there.

if any one is looking for a cheap way to get HD, look into a cheap HDTV tuner card for your PC. if you live near a Metro, you should be able to pick up CBC with an indoor powered antenna, and there is NO snow. u either get the picture perfect, or not at all.

Old
04-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Nyclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_habs2006
i live near Niagara Falls...
You're so lucky to live so close to HD stations...

I live in montreal and we'll have to wait a least a year to pick OTA HD programming
from the States. The FCC will then permit broadcasters to transmit OTA HD carried in VHF (range 120 miles) in 2007. VHF has a much better range than UHF (60miles) due to frequency length of the UHF signal in relation with the curvature of the Earth.

A whole year at least for us guys!

edit:spelling

Last edited by Nyclaus: 05-03-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old
04-24-2006, 02:40 PM
Clumsyhab

For some reason, the Flames game yesterday looked terrible to what I used to see in HD.

Old
04-24-2006, 03:34 PM
canada_habs2006

the flames games aren't in HD. that was glorified SD that you saw.

they do a bunch of processing and upconverting crap to make SD look decent and in widescreen. you have to give them credit, they could have kept the Calgary in regular 4:3 video that only fills half the screen.

Old
04-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_habs2006
the flames games aren't in HD. that was glorified SD that you saw.

they do a bunch of processing and upconverting crap to make SD look decent and in widescreen. you have to give them credit, they could have kept the Calgary in regular 4:3 video that only fills half the screen.
Ohh... now I see why the quality was crap. Still better than regular SD tho.

Closed Thread