HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Dvo in Edmonton

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2003, 04:35 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
I liked the trade right from the beginning.
I second that emotion.
Quote:
Mind you I was never a huge Carter fan.
That one too.

I would even go so far as to say that I was happy just to see AC gone. The guy has talent but only seems to have a passion for scoring goals, I don't think it bothered him watching his linemates/teammates get smacked around.

At least Dvo throws the body even if he doesn't fight. He seems genuinely interested in doing everything he can.

Old
10-31-2003, 04:44 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Honestly?

I think their dressing room used to be tighter a couple of years ago...when guys like Murray, Grier, Niinimaa and Marchant left it changed things. I wouldn't say their room is bad by any stretch, but I do think it's a room in transition.

As for BG, not sure what it is with him. Not that it's a bad trait by any stretch, but no less curious either.
if you ever get a chance to listen to laforge or any of the other senior managers, you will understand why the oiler dressing room is so tight. There is an expectation that is drilled into every oiler rookie.

It all started when lowe, as a rookie, got pissed off at an older player when he dropped his jersey on the floor during an intermission.

Old
10-31-2003, 05:13 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
We drafted him, back when the Entry Draft was held here in Edmonton (1995, I think - I was even there!). He was a 2nd-round pick. Maybe he feels some loyalty to the team (& city) that gave him a shot at the NHL...? Although I suspect he would be kinda the same in whatever NHL city he would have ended up in (if the Oilers hadn't picked him).
That's my guess too. I don't think there's any quit in Georges; I remember watching him play with Hamilton when they were playing the Baby Habs (I was going to UNB Fredericton at the time) and thinking if he could skate, he'll be something. Well, he can't skate much better now, but at least his asthma is gone (or at least treatable) and boy, he's something. I'm sure he has a lot of respect for the team for not giving up on him when it looked like he'd never be much more than a third line RW in the AHL. (Huard wasn't the only fighter on the roster at the time; Dennis Bonvie was in the AHL at the time too, and man, did the crowd ever love him in Fredericton. He loved it too. I knew a guy who played on Bonvie's line when they were in Antigonish, he said Bonvie got him into more fights, but bailed him out of them all too... but I digress. All I meant to say was Huard wasn't the only tough guy. And speaking of him, anybody else remember him fracturing his knuckle, then playing anyway? I've done that, and bloody heck does it hurt, I had a lot of respect for him after that.)

I think Georges is just so enthusiastic about everything - you can tell he loves life, he loves hockey, he loves people even - that last, I can't figure out, but hey.

Back on topic, I was kinda wondering about the Carter-Dvo trade. At least with AC we knew what we were getting - a 20-30 goal man who was relatively tough, but didn't really play that way, and who wasn't much more than a goal-scorer. At the time of the trade (when he came TO Edmonton), we needed to see a goal-scorer, there weren't many - any? - on the roster. I think Hemsky allowed Lowe to take a bit of a flyer, and Carter was going to wind up being too expensive anyway.

I'm with everybody else - if Slats wanted Dvo back for Carter, I'd want to see some other quality player come along with the deal as well. Maybe Poti.

Old
10-31-2003, 05:29 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
if you ever get a chance to listen to laforge or any of the other senior managers, you will understand why the oiler dressing room is so tight. There is an expectation that is drilled into every oiler rookie.

It all started when lowe, as a rookie, got pissed off at an older player when he dropped his jersey on the floor during an intermission.

Well come on, spill the beans, we want to hear the whole story!

Old
10-31-2003, 06:39 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I know, I read about it in Lowe's book. Wasn't there a similar story about Jean Beliveau lighting into a teammate who threw his jersey on the floor after a bad game?

Old
10-31-2003, 07:30 PM
Walsher

The oilers won that deal hands down. Dvorak is going to get points he is one of the most noticable players every night in a positive sense and his ability is far greater than Anson's ever was. Moreover, Cross has added some depth and experience to a young core of d-men. Everyone was up in arms when this deal went down and personally I was extatic.

Old
10-31-2003, 10:39 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I know, I read about it in Lowe's book. Wasn't there a similar story about Jean Beliveau lighting into a teammate who threw his jersey on the floor after a bad game?
BOOK???
Lowe has a BOOK??!!!

I didn't know that! PLEASE LET ME KNOW THIS STORY

Old
11-01-2003, 05:20 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
BOOK???
Lowe has a BOOK??!!!

whoah, dude, all caps and with your avatar, we can actually SEE you yelling.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:28 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
whoah, dude, all caps and with your avatar, we can actually SEE you yelling.
lol, I never even thought of that.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:20 AM
Marconius

I've never been part of a hockey team, but it seems to me that a rookie lighting into a veteran would be stepping on some toes. i understand why no one wants the jerseys on the ground, but still....

Old
11-01-2003, 11:09 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
I've never been part of a hockey team, but it seems to me that a rookie lighting into a veteran would be stepping on some toes. i understand why no one wants the jerseys on the ground, but still....
Lowe is a winner and he had a lot of pride. Yeah, he stepped on toes as a rookie, but he was also one of the best players.

This reminds me of a story about when michael jordan was a rookie. He was on a truly bad chicago bulls team. He was running the practice and telling the vets what to do. His coach walks up to him and says " Michael, there is no "i" in team. Jordan looks at him and says "there is an "i" in WIN. From that moment on, he ran the team.

Old
11-01-2003, 02:04 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
BOOK???
Lowe has a BOOK??!!!

Dude, google and ye shall find...

http://www.allbookstores.com/browse/...owe%2C%20Kevin

Closed Thread