HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If Abby is named starter for the playoffs?

View Poll Results: If Abby is named starter in the playoffs over Huet.....
no 49 62.82%
yes 8 10.26%
not sure 21 26.92%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2006, 12:37 PM
  #51
wildone26*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
But why was he chosen to play the crucial game of the entire season ? So he'd fail, allowing them to lowball him ?
Maybe. If Gainey wanted a further excuse to start Abby in the playoffs(and I certainly dont doubt he does)that reasoning would make sense. Conceding they probably would not beat NJ now does not that mean that it would be conceding not beating them in the playoffs. They are unstoppable for now, but the streak could end.

wildone26* is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 12:39 PM
  #52
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26
Even if that were true the coach would be wanting and expecting a "win" from that guy if he were to start in the playoffs.
The coach wouldn't be simply "wanting and expecting" a win, he would be needing a win. Starting a guy in those circumstances seems suspiciously like the kind of vote of confidence one might give to a starting playoff goaltender (but I'm funny that way).

habfan4 is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 12:41 PM
  #53
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4


Congratulations you managed to complete evade mcphee's point that a coach might be inclinced to name his go to guy in what would have been the teams biggest game of the year.

I'll admit it, sometimes at 5 after work, I'll start supper, go into the living room and occasionnally Dr.Phil will be on. I heard him use this term, 'right fighter'. The issue really doesn't matter, being right does. So here we go into the game you can't lose, but you pick the goalie who you really aren't comfortable with and if somehow he prevails, well, only then will he get a playoff game, but only until he loses, then it's Aebi, though there is no plan to replace Aebi when he loses. +, this was figured out long ago. Yeah,Gainey may not think Huet is 'The Guy', so he wants to know if Aebi is. Now he makes decisions based on having to win every game. If Huet is average tonight, he probably doesn't start. If he is excellent, he starts.

mcphee is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 12:44 PM
  #54
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26
Maybe. If Gainey wanted a further excuse to start Abby in the playoffs(and I certainly dont doubt he does)that reasoning would make sense. Conceding they probably would not beat NJ now does not that mean that it would be conceding not beating them in the playoffs. They are unstoppable for now, but the streak could end.
You seem to be assuming that Gainey wants to be proven right or something along those lines. He wants 2 things, to win a Cup and to build and sustain a solid organization. Having media say, 'maybe he was right' doesn't enter into the equation.

mcphee is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 12:47 PM
  #55
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,753
vCash: 500
In every first round playoff series, the team with the inferior record plays the first game on the road. It is possible for an underdog to recover from a first game loss and go on to win the round by taking a single road game. It is impossible to recover from a failure to get enough points in the regular season to qualify for the playoffs. Gainey named Huet for the Devils game before he knew that Atlanta would lose to Washington, this despite the fact that Huet had lost to the Devils the last time the two teams met. Thus, he was willing to stake the entire season on Huet. This decision totally refutes the lunatic notion that Aebischer is his white knight.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 12:49 PM
  #56
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I'll admit it, sometimes at 5 after work, I'll start supper, go into the living room and occasionnally Dr.Phil will be on. I heard him use this term, 'right fighter'. The issue really doesn't matter, being right does. So here we go into the game you can't lose, but you pick the goalie who you really aren't comfortable with and if somehow he prevails, well, only then will he get a playoff game, but only until he loses, then it's Aebi, though there is no plan to replace Aebi when he loses. +, this was figured out long ago. Yeah,Gainey may not think Huet is 'The Guy', so he wants to know if Aebi is. Now he makes decisions based on having to win every game. If Huet is average tonight, he probably doesn't start. If he is excellent, he starts.
Can we get wildone26 booked on Dr. Phil before the playoffs start?

habfan4 is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 12:51 PM
  #57
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
In every first round playoff series, the team with the inferior record plays the first game on the road. It is possible for an underdog to recover from a first game loss and go on to win the round by taking a single road game. It is impossible to recover from a failure to get enough points in the regular season to qualify for the playoffs. Gainey named Huet for the Devils game before he knew that Atlanta would lose to Washington, this despite the fact that Huet had lost to the Devils the last time the two teams met. Thus, he was willing to stake the entire season on Huet. This decision totally refutes the lunatic notion that Aebischer is his white knight.
Wait a minute, am I getting this ? You're saying that only the teams that make the playoffs play in the playoffs,making, making the playoffs vital ? Nahh, doesn't make any sense to me.

mcphee is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 12:55 PM
  #58
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
Can we get wildone26 booked on Dr. Phil before the playoffs start?
I've got no pull, or drag as my Dad says. He feels having drag is very important. He also calls main streets, the main drag, seeming to use the word drag more than I do. If I had drag, I'd get them to start the playoff games at 5 so he could stay awake for the whole game and not ask for a recap every morning.

It's a tough year for him, he has no racial insults for the Swiss.

mcphee is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 01:16 PM
  #59
StanAjax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nantes
Country: France
Posts: 1,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania
Sherlock holmes said, "You don't not make theories before you have all the facts, because then you twist the facts to suit your theory rather than twisting your theory to suit the facts."

That is what you are doing, you are so convinced gainey loves Aeby over Huet that you are twisting the evidence against your theory and making it fit.

Best post of the thread.

The discussion is pointless, and you explained why.


I just wanted to come back on Canada's failure in Turin. It has nothing to do with Rick Nash, and, with whoever else as far as I'm concerned. Even with the best squad possible on the ice, Canada would have lost. Since I've seen in 98 that other teams could beat a NHL loaded Team Canada, I was convinced that Team Canada could not win the Olympics in Turin. There were 5 very good and very hungry teams that badly wanted to win, there. Canada had an outside chance at best. Consider it : Brazil has been the only team able to win the soccer World Cup in Europe (once !), and no European team has ever won in America. That also somehow explains the North American Salt Lake final...

I won't comment on the goalie situation again. As I said, it's pointless. wildone26 is what he says, a wild one. Scientific studies to do, here.

StanAjax is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 01:18 PM
  #60
CareyClutch
Doing the job
 
CareyClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: North Korea
Posts: 4,941
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_Scotia_Vees
Huet is the starter right now bottom line.
cool that BG post here...hi Bob!

CareyClutch is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 01:36 PM
  #61
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
As pointed out in the self titled thread. I saw Bob Gainey today about 45 mins ago.

I guess I should have asked him the question. Damn..

AD is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 01:48 PM
  #62
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymand
As pointed out in the self titled thread. I saw Bob Gainey today about 45 mins ago.

I guess I should have asked him the question. Damn..
And violate the restraining order ?

mcphee is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 02:03 PM
  #63
Koized
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Im telling you right now this guy is the most annoying poster I have ever seen. What is his obsession with Huet and Aebby right now? Teams in the nhl straddle their goalies ALL the time. You go with the hot hand. Hmm... let see. Huet been in the league what 3 years now. He has doen pretty much nothing but be an average backup before this year. David Aebischer on the other hand has had some playoff experience and much more success at the nhl level. I do not blame Bob for playing the two of them who are both capable nhl goaltenders. And wildone, seriously this is like your 10th thread on the subject and you make a fool of yourself each time. Its gettin real sad.

Koized is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 02:13 PM
  #64
StanAjax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nantes
Country: France
Posts: 1,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26
Every assumption you make, your wrong

It is funny how some people say I am wrong every time I predict something when in fact I was only wrong on one thing, Huet not starting any more than two games after Abby started back to back games. When I am right on Abby starting in the playoffs I will be 1-1 on here. If one counts my other predictions I am much higher than that though, I predicted Rick Nash would be gifted a spot on Canada's Olympic team, and Canada would fail to win gold if Nash was on the team, I was right on both of those things. So after Abby starts the playoffs I will be 3-1 overall.

- Rick Nash was not gifted a spot on Canada's Olympic team. He earned it with his strong play at the 2005 WC. Canada lost in final, which is not that bad. The great chemistry with Joe Thornton he showed back then was a key factor to Gretzky's brass decision. Gretzky doesn't offer gifts to hockey players. Gifts are for his children, his wife, and Rick Tocchet.
You were wrong.

- Canada didn't fail because Nash was on the team. Canada would have fail without him regardless of your prediction. Missing Niedermayer was for once a huge factor. Playing in Europe made it even harder. Canada winning in Turin would have been an upset, imo.
You were wrong.

- Gainey didn't offer Huet a 1 year 1 million contract. They're waiting till the season ends. No amount or length will be ever discussed before this happens.
You were wrong.

- As you pointed out, Huet played more than 2 games after Abby arrived. In fact, Aebischer never played more than 2 games in a row, as opposed to Huet's back-to-back 4 games in a row stretches.
You were wrong.

You are 0-4 so far.

If Huet starts the playoffs, you will be 0-5. I hope this will make us free of your annoying stupid so called predictions. When you say, "this will happen", that's not prediction, that's assumption.

If you don't stop your "predictions" then, you'll be on my ignore list. That's not a prediction, that's a conditional statement.

StanAjax is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 02:20 PM
  #65
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,590
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
- Rick Nash was not gifted a spot on Canada's Olympic team. He earned it with his strong play at the 2005 WC. Canada lost in final, which is not that bad. The great chemistry with Joe Thornton he showed back then was a key factor to Gretzky's brass decision. Gretzky doesn't offer gifts to hockey players. Gifts are for his children, his wife, and Rick Tocchet.
You were wrong.

- Canada didn't fail because Nash was on the team. Canada would have fail without him regardless of your prediction. Missing Niedermayer was for once a huge factor. Playing in Europe made it even harder. Canada winning in Turin would have been an upset, imo.
You were wrong.

- Gainey didn't offer Huet a 1 year 1 million contract. They're waiting till the season ends. No amount or length will be ever discussed before this happens.
You were wrong.

- As you pointed out, Huet played more than 2 games after Abby arrived. In fact, Aebischer never played more than 2 games in a row, as opposed to Huet's back-to-back 4 games in a row stretches.
You were wrong.

You are 0-4 so far.

If Huet starts the playoffs, you will be 0-5. I hope this will make us free of your annoying stupid so called predictions. When you say, "this will happen", that's not prediction, that's assumption.

If you don't stop your "predictions" then, you'll be on my ignore list. That's not a prediction, that's a conditional statement.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 02:27 PM
  #66
CHareth
Registered User
 
CHareth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I'll admit it, sometimes at 5 after work, I'll start supper, go into the living room and occasionnally Dr.Phil will be on.
Oh mcphee ....

CHareth is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 02:50 PM
  #67
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
-
You are my new favorite poster.

(for the next 35 seconds at least)

AD is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 02:55 PM
  #68
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon
Oh mcphee ....
My theory's that we're all pathetic. I just admit it. Anyways, it's my compromise for dish use during games. Then , once you sit down,....

mcphee is offline  
Old
04-18-2006, 03:01 PM
  #69
StanAjax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nantes
Country: France
Posts: 1,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymand
You are my new favorite poster.

(for the next 35 seconds at least)

Thanks guys.

It's not too badly written for my last "montee de lait" on this punk...

StanAjax is offline  
Old
04-19-2006, 09:55 AM
  #70
wildone26*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
- Rick Nash was not gifted a spot on Canada's Olympic team. He earned it with his strong play at the 2005 WC. Canada lost in final, which is not that bad. The great chemistry with Joe Thornton he showed back then was a key factor to Gretzky's brass decision. Gretzky doesn't offer gifts to hockey players. Gifts are for his children, his wife, and Rick Tocchet.
You were wrong.
LOL! What a joke. Nash was so bad he was benched for 6 of the last 7 periods. There were ALOT of gifts put on the Olympic team, Nash, Bertuzzi, Foote. They finsihed in 7th place so they did a horrable job picking the team. Nash was gifted a spot on the Olympic team and he proved it with his anemic play. I am 1 for 1 so far.


Quote:
- Canada didn't fail because Nash was on the team. Canada would have fail without him regardless of your prediction. Missing Niedermayer was for once a huge factor. Playing in Europe made it even harder. Canada winning in Turin would have been an upset, imo.
You were wrong.
Yes you claim I was wrong, despite my prediction being right. What a bunch of baloney. I am now 2 for 2.

Quote:
- Gainey didn't offer Huet a 1 year 1 million contract. They're waiting till the season ends. No amount or length will be ever discussed before this happens.
You were wrong.
That is the most he will get but I concede it hasnt happened yet. So no score there. I am still 2 for 2.

Quote:
- As you pointed out, Huet played more than 2 games after Abby arrived. In fact, Aebischer never played more than 2 games in a row, as opposed to Huet's back-to-back 4 games in a row stretches.
You were wrong.
So I was wrong here. I am 2-3

Quote:
You are 0-4 so far.
lier.

Quote:
If Huet starts the playoffs, you will be 0-5.
No I would be 2-2 then. When you are right on something like I was right on Nash being put on the Olympic team, and right on the team not winning if Nash was on it, you get points for being right, not being wrong.

Quote:
If you don't stop your "predictions" then, you'll be on my ignore list. That's not a prediction, that's a conditional statement.
Good, I dont like discussions with a big-time lier who cant stand that I have been right 2 of 3 of my main predictions so far, and twists the truth to suit his own purposes. Put me on your ignore list now, I wont miss you one bit.

wildone26* is offline  
Old
04-19-2006, 09:59 AM
  #71
wildone26*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,163
vCash: 500
I would also add:

I said no team Canada would win a gold with Rick Nash on it. So far I am right on this too.

So so far I am 3 for 4, and if Abby starts the playoffs I will be 4 for 5. Contrary to what some like to delude themselves I am right MOST of the time when I make a prediction.

wildone26* is offline  
Old
04-19-2006, 10:01 AM
  #72
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26
I would also add:

I said no team Canada would win a gold with Rick Nash on it. So far I am right on this too.

So so far I am 3 for 4, and if Abby starts the playoffs I will be 4 for 5. Contrary to what some like to delude themselves I am right MOST of the time when I make a prediction.
Do you own a t-shirt with the slogan "Want to know how great I am - just ask me"?

habfan4 is offline  
Old
04-19-2006, 10:07 AM
  #73
wildone26*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,163
vCash: 500
I dont think I am great. It is just plain lies though to say "I am always wrong when I make a prediction" when I have only been wrong ONCE so far on any prediction. I am glad somebody tried to demonstrate how I have been wrong more than once so far, and the pathetic attempt to show this was such a flop.

wildone26* is offline  
Old
04-19-2006, 10:15 AM
  #74
wildone26*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koized
Im telling you right now this guy is the most annoying poster I have ever seen.
If I annoy you so much put me on ignore. If not then stop whining.

Quote:
What is his obsession with Huet and Aebby right now? Teams in the nhl straddle their goalies ALL the time. You go with the hot hand.
Yes so the hot hand is a goalie who has had 2 good games out of 6 since coming to Ottawa over the teams MVP in the second half of the year anyway.

Quote:
Hmm... let see. Huet been in the league what 3 years now. He has doen pretty much nothing but be an average backup before this year.
Really so that should be what is judged now rather than a goalies play this year, during the last 2 weeks of the year. A goalie is leading the league in SV %, and GAA, after playing over 30 games, and you go back to the other one since he has been a starting goalie for 1 full year before this season with another team, and been in the league longer. Yes that makes alot of sense.


Quote:
David Aebischer on the other hand has had some playoff experience and much more success at the nhl level.
Yes 1 year before this year as a starting goalie and 1 playoff series win is far more success.

Quote:
I do not blame Bob for playing the two of them who are both capable nhl goaltenders.
Yes creating a goalie controversy out of the blue, when there never had to be one in the first place was an incredably good idea. Likely driving the goalie that carried the team on his back the second half of the year, out of town for good, is also a great idea.

Quote:
And wildone, seriously this is like your 10th thread on the subject and you make a fool of yourself each time. Its gettin real sad.
Yes, I recognize you are the authority on this. I bow to your opinion.

wildone26* is offline  
Old
04-19-2006, 10:52 AM
  #75
StanAjax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nantes
Country: France
Posts: 1,547
vCash: 500
I predict that the Habs won't win the Stanley Cup until wildone26 leave these boards.

You see, I can make stupid predictions too.

And that's why you are wrong. Because all your predictions are stupid. How can't you see that ?

Even a 25 year old Gretzky instead of Nash wouldn't have bought a gold medal for Canada at the Olympics. It was European time once again !

You don't want to discuss, you just claim you're right (or wrong), but life is not a boolean. Canada winning is not depending on Nash being there or not.

If you had said, "I don't like these Nash, Bertuzzi and Foote picks, they won't help Canada win", I would have agree with you. Telling that Canada lost only because of them being there (and not talking about people missing...), and claiming that they had their spot on the roster because they basically gave a BJ to Gretzky is insane ! These guys were chosen on previous success, like Team Canada has always been built with Gretzky as GM. You don't remember how many people were frustrated with Lecavalier or Thornton being ignored in 2002 ? Yet Canada won gold that time... Once again, Canada was not the favourite to win in Europe. It was obvious to all Europeans...

When you claim to know what will happen, you just annoy people. You're not Bob Gainey. You can make predictions, but not pretend to know what will happen.

I won't come back on every point, as it's pointless to argue with you, but you are wrong when you claimed Gainey won't offer more than 1 year / 1 million to Huet. You are wrong because the season is not done and the contract talks didn't even start. You can say that Montreal will win the Cup in 2009 now, but that's pointless. Claiming Huet won't get more than 1 year / 1 million is also pointless as there are still games to play.

Oh, and you once claimed Team Canada would never win anything with Nash. That's wrong. They won silver at the 2005 WC.

OK, I give up. You're just plain stupid. And that's not a prediction, just truth.

StanAjax is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.