HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geez, what happened to the Caps?

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2003, 08:15 AM
semenko27

vCash: 500
Geez, what happened to the Caps?

I honestly can not believe how brutal the Caps have been so far. Don't think Ollie is to blame either, even with a dismal save% (compared to his usual that is). I never would have thought that any team would be worse than the Pens this year, as the Caps at least have some NHL forwards. And this aint a Caps bash, as I like the Caps, and have Ollie and Gonchar in my keeper pool(and dont like the trade rumors I've been hearing about either player!). I just wanted to say that I feel for all you fans, as the franchise seems to have taken a 180 after lookin like they were gunna go somewhere after they picked up JJ. It's still early, but they have looked awful in the 3 games I've watched. Anyway, would like to hear what you Caps fans are thinkin and if anything is happening as far as serious moves in DC.

Whats up?

Old
10-31-2003, 08:53 AM
txpd

its pretty simple. there are three lists of reasons.
list #1.
Islanders (playoff team)
Atlanta(2nd hottest team)
@Toronto(playoff team)
@Montreal(back to back)
@Dallas(2nd round playoff team)
@St. Louis(playoff team and back to back)
@Ottawa( conference finals, president's cup(?))
@Toronto(playoff team)
Anaheim(Cup Finals team)
as of a couple of day ago this schedule was 26-12-5-3
list #2
Steve Eminger(rookie)
Joel Kwiatkowski(started last year in AHL, 34games for washington his most in the nhl)
Jason Doig(started last year in AHL, 55 games for washington his most in the NHL)
John Gruden(not the football coach, the other guy. played last year in germany, career minor leaguer)
Josef Boumedienne(started last year in the AHL, 10 career NHL games)
Brian Sutherby(started last year in AHL, scored 2 goals in limited minutes in NHL)
Matt Pettinger(rookie, last year AHL)
Boyd Gordon(rookie, last year junior hockey)
Brian Willsie(last year ahl, 74 NHL games)
Stephan Peat(69 NHL games)
Alexander Semin(19year old rookie, last year russian league)
THAT IS HALF THE ROSTER!!!! Rookies and career minor leaguers.
list #3
A.Goalie Olaf Kolzig has stolen 1 pt with a great effort. A tie in Toronto.
While the defense has been pitiful and the offense spotty, Kolzig's lack of big game performance as not given the young players the confidence that they need to get past their mistakes.
B. Jaromir Jagr has the ability or at least used to have the ability to carry a game. Much the same as Kolzig can steal a game with his play and make up for a poor performance, Jagr has the same capability. The Caps have had one brief lead in the last 8 games. Two first period goals from the team's best player could go a long way to stopping the streak and nothing close to that has occured. Instead its been the reverse.
1 pt in the last 7 games.
C. Bruce Cassidy. I see the value of occasionally benching a guy or changing lines up or adjusting ice time loads, but Cassidy has seemed to changed at least one line for the past 7 games and has juggled line inside games in every game since the 2nd game. We have already established the overall lack of experience in the lineup. Those players, plus Battaglia are all new to the team. How will the veterans have any idea what their teammates are doing if they change every night. How can the young players create a foundation for growing into NHL players when there is no consistancy in their linemates or their responsibilities.
THIS is my most serious issue with Cassidy. He is supposed to be a great coach of young players, yet his young players are being yo-yo'd
all over the game and with the exception of Eminger(who is carrying a team worst -8) all of the young guys are going down in flames. When was the last time you noticed Gordon? Sutherby will be scratched tonight and Semin has played 2 games. Eminger has been thrown in the deep end and while he is keeping his head above water, that's about all he is doing on a consistant basis.
How are those for reasons???

Old
10-31-2003, 10:02 AM
Jani8

"its pretty simple. there are three lists of reasons."

You call them reasons, I call them excuses. Do you think that Caps are the only team playing back-to-back games? And that thing about playing against playoff-teams...come on.
You must be thrilled to see that Zubie is on his way to 80pt/season. No, wait, 50pt/season I meant. Looks more and more like Bertuzzi.

Old
10-31-2003, 10:16 AM
Sports Junkie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sports Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani8

You call them reasons, I call them excuses. Do you think that Caps are the only team playing back-to-back games? And that thing about playing against playoff-teams...come on.
You must be thrilled to see that Zubie is on his way to 80pt/season. No, wait, 50pt/season I meant. Looks more and more like Bertuzzi.
So the fact that the Caps have played good teams has nothing to do with them losing, and playing back to back doesn't either? Yeah, those are reasons for going 1-8-1. And excuses. To me they are one and the same. I see you chose to ignore the other reasons he gave.

Old
10-31-2003, 11:22 AM
txpd

Quote:

I guess when you are predisposed to want to take a shot at somebody its hard to read and comprehend. I think its generally accepted its more difficult to win on the road than at home and its more difficult to beat a good team than a bad team. Its also generally accepted that back to back games on the road are tough. Back to back games on the road at Dallas and St. Louis is about as tough as it gets.
If you actually believe that 6 out of 9 on the road is no more difficult than 6 out of 9 at home or games against Toronto, Montreal, Dallas, St. Louis, Ottawa, and Toronto are as difficult as games against Carolina, San Jose, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Rangers, & Carolina, then you have a different point of view than most people. But thats why you play everybody and play as many home games as road games thru an entire season. Things even out. The Caps historically have slow starts because historically the Caps home arena is not available in Oct/Nov and they play a lot of road games. They are historically very strong in Dec,Jan and february because they almost always play 2 out of every 3 games at home during those months. its not rocket science.
OH...and Zubrus he started slow but has 4 pts in his last 5 games and is one shot short of leading the team in shots on goal. He has played on the most consistantly good line all season. So far so good on that account. Bertuzzi has played 10 games, 1g 5a 6pts 21 shots on goal.
Zubrus has 9 games, 2g 2a 4pts 28shots. I don't see a big difference there just yet. do you?

Old
10-31-2003, 01:25 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
There are 2 proven NHL defensemen on the roster. I think that pretty much explains everything.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:39 PM
Jani8

"There are 2 proven NHL defensemen on the roster. I think that pretty much explains everything."

This qualifies as a reason. Since we all knew that defense would be weak, it shouldn't come as a surprise. Better pray that Gonchar doesn't get hurt.

"If you actually believe that 6 out of 9 on the road is no more difficult than 6 out of 9 at home"

Of course they are more difficult but you're missing the point that every team will play 41 away games and every team will have to play in tough buildings. Every team will play back-to-back games also. So pointing that out as a reason seems pretty dumb.

"Bertuzzi has played 10 games, 1g 5a 6pts 21 shots on goal.
Zubrus has 9 games, 2g 2a 4pts 28shots. I don't see a big difference there just yet. do you?"

We know that one of these guys is going to pick up his game. I wonder which?

Old
11-02-2003, 05:54 AM
Sykie

Send a message via ICQ to Sykie
Quote:
Zubrus has 9 games, 2g 2a 4pts 28shots. I don't see a big difference there just yet. do you?"

Gimme a break. You forget Bertuzzi is playing in a powerhouse, Zubrus is playing in a bad team.

Bertuzzi is one of the most overrated players in the league, point. He is great at taking bad penalties, yeay, but that's about it.

Between Zubrus and Bertuzzi, I'd take Zubrus in my team with no hesitation.

Old
11-02-2003, 07:33 AM
txpd

"If you actually believe that 6 out of 9 on the road is no more difficult than 6 out of 9 at home"

Of course they are more difficult but you're missing the point that every team will play 41 away games and every team will have to play in tough buildings. Every team will play back-to-back games also. So pointing that out as a reason seems pretty dumb.
.................................................. ...............................................

Let me rephrase my point. a bit. if the schedule was front loaded in a way that a team played he majority of its road games in the first 3rd of the season and the majority of its home games in the last 3rd of the season, it would be logical that the team would start slow and finish strong.

IF the schedule was front loaded with the good team first and the bad team last, you would expect a better record to come later.

Thats all I am saying. The Capitals are playing most of their games on the road. And all but 2 against the top half of the league. @Philly and @ TB next. Has TB lost yet? So....the schedule is front loaded with road games and almost exclusively road games against the best teams in the league. you would expect that their record would be worse than it will be when they hit that stretch of home games against all the crappy teams. As you say...it all evens out. some teams start out with a strong list of opponents. some get it easy. some start out on the road a lot and some, TB for instance, plays at home all the time. It evens out and after it evens out then you can evaluate better.

Old
11-02-2003, 03:44 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykie
Between Zubrus and Bertuzzi, I'd take Zubrus in my team with no hesitation.

I know marijuana possession is legal in Switzerland, but you shouldn't be smoking it! Or maybe it's the shrooms!?

Old
11-03-2003, 02:51 AM
Sykie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy

I know marijuana possession is legal in Switzerland, but you shouldn't be smoking it! Or maybe it's the shrooms!?
Zubrus is younger than Bertuzzi, is cheaper than Bertuzzi, is smarter with the puck than Bertuzzi, is more versatile than Bertuzzi, he takes way less penalties than Bertuzzi.

Bertuzzi is overrated, overpaid and undisciplined. Zubrus has stunning potential and is already one of the few bright spots in DC.

As I said, I'd take Zubrus over Bertuzzi anyday.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:31 AM
Sports Junkie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sports Junkie
Quote:
"There are 2 proven NHL defensemen on the roster. I think that pretty much explains everything."

This qualifies as a reason. Since we all knew that defense would be weak, it shouldn't come as a surprise. Better pray that Gonchar doesn't get hurt.

But pointing out that the back to back and road games even out over 82 games is ridiculous. We're talking about the struggles 11 games in, not over 82 games. Out of 11 games the Caps have played 7 road games in 3 weeks. 3 back to back situations already. I suggest you compare that to any other team in the East. Don't get me wrong, there are many reasons the Caps suck right now, but discounting thier schedule as part of those reasons is wrong.

Old
11-03-2003, 07:23 AM
txpd

The Capitals and the Lightning are currently opposites of each other.
The Lightning are undefeated. The Caps the worst record in the NHL.
TB has played 8 games. 6 have been home games. None have been outside the eastern time zone. There have been no back to back games
on their schedule. The teams they have played are a combined 31-36-20-2. 5 of the 8 games have been against teams below .500.

The Capitals have played 11 games. 7 on the road. 3 outside the eastern time zone. 3 sets of back to back games. the teams they have played are a combined 53-42-13-5. Two of the 11 games have been against teams with records under .500 and those two teams were
Anaheim, cup finals, and Minnesota, conference finals.

Out of 30 NHL teams there are 9 teams with a winning record on the road. There are 9 teams with a losing record at home.

In December and January Tampa Bay plays 19 of 31 games on the road.
In Dec, Jan, Feb the Caps have a streak of 26 games where 17 are home games.

My guess is that the Capitals make up a lot of ground in the standings around the first of the year.

Old
11-03-2003, 02:26 PM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
The Capitals and the Lightning are currently opposites of each other.
The Lightning are undefeated. The Caps the worst record in the NHL.
TB has played 8 games. 6 have been home games. None have been outside the eastern time zone. There have been no back to back games
on their schedule. The teams they have played are a combined 31-36-20-2. 5 of the 8 games have been against teams below .500.

The Capitals have played 11 games. 7 on the road. 3 outside the eastern time zone. 3 sets of back to back games. the teams they have played are a combined 53-42-13-5. Two of the 11 games have been against teams with records under .500 and those two teams were
Anaheim, cup finals, and Minnesota, conference finals.

Out of 30 NHL teams there are 9 teams with a winning record on the road. There are 9 teams with a losing record at home.

In December and January Tampa Bay plays 19 of 31 games on the road.
In Dec, Jan, Feb the Caps have a streak of 26 games where 17 are home games.

My guess is that the Capitals make up a lot of ground in the standings around the first of the year.
You can run all these game numbers but the fact is the caps are not looking anything like a team and have miles to go before they start at winning at a regular pace

Old
11-03-2003, 03:04 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3owner
You can run all these game numbers but the fact is the caps are not looking anything like a team and have miles to go before they start at winning at a regular pace
I am not running a numbers game. I am only pointing out that difference in schedule difficulty. It will even out to some extent. I would not dare to think the Caps would be 7-0-1 if they had played the
TB schedule. I also would think that Tampa might be in the .500 range if they had played the Caps schedule.
There are two ways to look at the Capitals situation. Based on performance the last several years, the Caps would have done what they did on that road trip as it was scheduled. They win occasionally in montreal. They just don't win in toronto, dallas, st louis and ottawa. They never have to play them all in a row like that, but in the past they lost those games anyway. the next group of games look like this....
Nov 4 2003, Tue AWAY Lightning 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 6 2003, Thu AWAY Flyers 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 8 2003, Sat HOME Sharks 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 10 2003, Mon HOME Kings 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 12 2003, Wed HOME Hurricanes 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 14 2003, Fri HOME Lightning 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 15 2003, Sat AWAY Hurricanes 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 20 2003, Thu AWAY Bruins 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 22 2003, Sat HOME Panthers 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 24 2003, Mon AWAY Red Wings 7:30 PM ET -
Nov 26 2003, Wed AWAY Sabres 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 28 2003, Fri HOME Canadiens 7:00 PM ET RDS
Nov 29 2003, Sat AWAY Blue Jackets 7:00 PM ET -
with home games against the sharks, kings, canes, and bolts the Caps can establish that they can compete. if the Caps don't win 8 of those 13 games we will know for sure what they have. If they make the right changes and adjustments and can win 8 of those 13, they finish the first two months at 10-14-1, but heading in the right direction.

Old
11-03-2003, 07:57 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykie
Zubrus is younger than Bertuzzi, is cheaper than Bertuzzi, is smarter with the puck than Bertuzzi, is more versatile than Bertuzzi, he takes way less penalties than Bertuzzi.

Bertuzzi is overrated, overpaid and undisciplined. Zubrus has stunning potential and is already one of the few bright spots in DC.

As I said, I'd take Zubrus over Bertuzzi anyday.
Did you forget to take your pills today? How the hell is bertuzzi over-rated? Other than taking too many penalties, I see no signifigant weaknesses in his game.

Old
11-03-2003, 08:42 PM
tom_servo

txpd -- meanwhile, on the official Caps boards, they've arrived at the more reasonable conclusion that the Caps just aren't trying enough.

Old
11-03-2003, 10:31 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
txpd -- meanwhile, on the official Caps boards, they've arrived at the more reasonable conclusion that the Caps just aren't trying enough.
yea. there is some of that. no question. some of that is a result of getting hammered 3 or 4 games in a row. does wonders for your confidence. it has cleaned cassidy's clock. he can't stick with line combinations longer than a period before he has to bench someone.

that said, they have not won games in dallas, toronto, ottawa, and st louis in a a number of years. kolzig has never beaten dallas. they would have lost those games anyway.

Kolzig seems to have straightened his game out. you would think that the Caps have enough offensive firepower even with jagr taking a powder to consistantly score more than two goals a night.

the caps have a 4 game homestand coming up and a friendly schedule for the rest of november....
Nov 8 2003, Sat HOME Sharks 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 10 2003, Mon HOME Kings 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 12 2003, Wed HOME Hurricanes 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 14 2003, Fri HOME Lightning 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 15 2003, Sat AWAY Hurricanes 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 20 2003, Thu AWAY Bruins 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 22 2003, Sat HOME Panthers 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 24 2003, Mon AWAY Red Wings 7:30 PM ET -
Nov 26 2003, Wed AWAY Sabres 7:00 PM ET -
Nov 28 2003, Fri HOME Canadiens 7:00 PM ET RDS
Nov 29 2003, Sat AWAY Blue Jackets 7:00 PM ET -
there is no excuse why the capitals shouldn't win 7 of those 11 games.
If they can't keep up in that stretch of schedule, they will be done.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:27 AM
Sykie

It's simple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland
Did you forget to take your pills today? How the hell is bertuzzi over-rated? Other than taking too many penalties, I see no signifigant weaknesses in his game.
The word is clear. He is overrated. OVER-RATED. People give him way to much credits because he is playing on one of the best team in the league, with one of the best player in the league Markus Naslund. But fact remain guys like Keith Tkachuk or Joe Thornton are head and shoulders above him. The worst part is that he takes 12'000 PIM per year so people figure he is damn physical, forgetting half of his penalty minutes come from cheapshots.

Still, I don't say the guy has no talent, I just say he is overrated and nowhere near the best players of the league. If you look at the goals he scored (like the lambda fan) he can be a reference but if you look at the big picture, he shouldn't even comes to mind when you have guys like Thornton, Kovalchuk or Hossa in the same league.

But it just depend of what you want. If you want a high maintenance team, with big names à là Rangers, go with Bertuzzi. The guy will raise your payroll, score you 40 goals, will cost you 30 goals and will let your team short-handed the rest of the time. A lot of people will talk about him because there is 36 Bertuzzis on the stat sheet at the end of the game. That's how the world is rulling. But I've got a good advice though, be sure you have a great team around him to assure you the victories or your team will be a fiasco.

On the other hand if you want a serious team, Zubrus is an excellent choice. A big, young and cheap player, with plenty of untapped potential and great skills. Definitly a guy to build around, and you can even play him at the position you want depending of your needs. How can we ask for more ? For a serious team, he is an excellent choice. As I said, it just depend of what you need but Zubrus is the kind of guys you can build around.

Closed Thread