HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stephen Peat

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2003, 03:12 PM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Stephen Peat

Hey all. I've been a fan of Stephen Peat's for several years, dating back to his days in juniors. Glad to see him getting some games in now. How has he been playing?

Old
11-03-2003, 03:28 PM
DaleHunter

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov71
Hey all. I've been a fan of Stephen Peat's for several years, dating back to his days in juniors. Glad to see him getting some games in now. How has he been playing?
Well enough to get 3 games in a row on a team with a coach who only likes dressing enforcers if the other team has some. He even got some spot duty on the 3rd line and a couple shifts with the 2nd line (when we were losing to Ottawa and Cassidy was pulling names out of a hat for line combos). Cassidy did give him props in the press for his play vs. Toronto and said he'd earned some play time even against teams that didn't have enforcers... which is good. He chipped in a goal the next game. Been getting a little more ice time recently too. He used to get like 5-7 shifts for maybe 3 minutes total, now he's getting 10-12+ and 5+ minutes.

He's initiating more contact, and always willing to throw down with heavies from the opposition. Had a good bout vs. Lessard in Atlanta. Lessard opened up with some good hard jackhammer rights, Peat recovered and took over with some huge lefts. Opened up a cut in Lessard's ear. Decision to Peat. I was hoping he'd go with Alex Henry (who we lost on waivers to Minnesoty) on Saturday, but didn't happen. Nothing with Matt Johnson either.

Hopefully, he'll stick in the lineup instead of switching in and out... fighting aside, he's definitely getting better at his role as a 4th line banger whose responsible in his own end.

Old
11-03-2003, 03:40 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHunter
Well enough to get 3 games in a row on a team with a coach who only likes dressing enforcers if the other team has some. He even got some spot duty on the 3rd line and a couple shifts with the 2nd line (when we were losing to Ottawa and Cassidy was pulling names out of a hat for line combos). Cassidy did give him props in the press for his play vs. Toronto and said he'd earned some play time even against teams that didn't have enforcers... which is good. He chipped in a goal the next game. Been getting a little more ice time recently too. He used to get like 5-7 shifts for maybe 3 minutes total, now he's getting 10-12+ and 5+ minutes.

He's initiating more contact, and always willing to throw down with heavies from the opposition. Had a good bout vs. Lessard in Atlanta. Lessard opened up with some good hard jackhammer rights, Peat recovered and took over with some huge lefts. Opened up a cut in Lessard's ear. Decision to Peat. I was hoping he'd go with Alex Henry (who we lost on waivers to Minnesoty) on Saturday, but didn't happen. Nothing with Matt Johnson either.

Hopefully, he'll stick in the lineup instead of switching in and out... fighting aside, he's definitely getting better at his role as a 4th line banger whose responsible in his own end.
I think Peat will continue to be dressed based on need. With Cassidy Peat might be on the Jagr line the next game. But for Cassidy to praise a guy with 2 shots on goal for a season and bash Halpern for not shooting seems strange logic.
If you think Peat is more deserving of a shift on the ice than Sutherby or Pettinger or Semin, then maybe you will see more of him. I don't think is.

Old
11-03-2003, 03:51 PM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Thanks for the responses guys. Been hoping that he would stick on the 4th line this year. I know he had a tough time with injuries last year. He's still pretty young though, so I think he can progress. I think he has the tools to become a useful player. Best of luck to him.

Old
11-03-2003, 04:25 PM
txpd

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys. Been hoping that he would stick on the 4th line this year. I know he had a tough time with injuries last year. He's still pretty young though, so I think he can progress. I think he has the tools to become a useful player. Best of luck to him.
which tools are those and when in his background has he ever shown them?

Old
11-03-2003, 04:54 PM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
which tools are those and when in his background has he ever shown them?
By useful, I didn't mean 2nd line power forward obviously. He has good size, above average fighting ability, and can be intimidating out there on the ice.

He will always be a role player and I think with time and experience, he can be a solid 4th liner.

From other posts of yours that I've read in the past, you don't seem to be happy with him being on the team. Am I right?

Old
11-03-2003, 05:18 PM
txpd

Quote:
By useful, I didn't mean 2nd line power forward obviously. He has good size, above average fighting ability, and can be intimidating out there on the ice.

He will always be a role player and I think with time and experience, he can be a solid 4th liner.

From other posts of yours that I've read in the past, you don't seem to be happy with him being on the team. Am I right?
You said that he had the tools. The tools you sight are size and fighting ability. No hockey skills are mentioned. Skating, shooting, checking, passing, digging for the puck in the corners. Just punching power.

I don't have a lot of use for the fighter only hockey players. I love scrappy players that stand up for their mates and never back down from a scrap. A Matthew Barnaby type player is fine with me. A Donald Brashear is fine with me or a Tie Domi. But a tomato can on skates, is another story. I prefer Matt Pettinger on the 4th line to Stephen Peat.
He fights fine, but can also play the game in all areas.

Old
11-03-2003, 05:32 PM
txpd

Its not that I don't like peat. I just see no use for a fight like what happened with peat and the wild goon on saturday night. the dropped the gloves as the puck was dropped. a scheduled bout. a fight in the heat of hockey is fine. that was unnecessary. I don't watch hockey for the fights. If I see a game and there are no fights, I don't feel like I have missed something. As another poster on this thread mentioned being disappointed when peat is not dressed against teams without a fighter. Peat is only going to fight with a fighter. No fighter on the other team means there is little use for Peat that night.

Old
11-03-2003, 09:36 PM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Its not that I don't like peat. I just see no use for a fight like what happened with peat and the wild goon on saturday night. the dropped the gloves as the puck was dropped. a scheduled bout. a fight in the heat of hockey is fine. that was unnecessary. I don't watch hockey for the fights. If I see a game and there are no fights, I don't feel like I have missed something. As another poster on this thread mentioned being disappointed when peat is not dressed against teams without a fighter. Peat is only going to fight with a fighter. No fighter on the other team means there is little use for Peat that night.
OK... step off the soapbox...

First of all, Peat didn't fight on Saturday in Minny. He fought on Friday in Atlanta vs. Lessard. But I get your point nonetheless.

Does Peat deserve a shift before a Halpern, Suts or Pettinger? No. All three of them are better hockey players than Peat. But does Peat deserve to be dressed over Kip Miller, Ivan Ciernik or Brian Willsie? Yes I think so. And I express my disappointment at Peat being scratched against teams with no enforcer because his spot on the 4th line is given to one of those 3 players I just mentioned. While Willsie is serviceable, the other two are a disaster on the 4th line. I like my 4th line to be an aggressive, banging and tempo-setting line. Peat fits that mold. He can hit and he is aggressive and can intimidate. He can be a body guard for guys like Gordon who need it. Every Gretzky needs a McSorely--not that I'm comparing either to those two, just that young players seem to develop better when they start their careers with someone who can keep them from getting mugged. The Bruins did it with Joe Thornton in his first year, and look how well he turned out.

I know Peat doesn't have the greatest of puckhandling skills, but you can plant him in front of the net and let him get some garbage when his line is in. His skating could be better but it has definitely improved from when he first came in the league. His defensive awareness is good. Playing the blue line in juniors helped him in that facet.

To say that it's worthless to dress him when playing against a team with no enforcer is a bit nearsighted. Peat is not some talent-less goon. He isn't some Jody Shelley. He could definitely find a regular home on the 4th line with potential as a spot 3rd line checking wing with more development.

Old
11-03-2003, 11:47 PM
Kegger

vCash: 510
Txpd...did you happen to check out Lessard shoving Bondra around after the whistle. No doubt, Peat went over and taked to him at the faceoff circle immediately afterward. Who cares if it was scheduled, Peat settled Lessard down...job done.

Closed Thread