HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Oh ya, Kaberles a #1 D-man

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2003, 08:33 AM
Transplanted Caper

vCash: 500
I believe that Kaberle is a top pairing d-man. You cant just quate #1 dmen with superstardom. Its a ridiculous notion. So what ? Theres only a half dozen #1 dmen in the league ? of course not.

Old
11-02-2003, 10:19 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
Only you would think that that is a bad thing.
Oleg Tverdovsky isn't out of the National Hockey League right now because he's a great defenseman.

He's out of the league because NO ONE offered him a contract.

So to act like that is a flattering comparison seems to ignore reality.

Old
11-02-2003, 10:29 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewind Dale
What really intrigues me is how people consider Jovanovski a true #1 (even though his defensive ability is far more questionable than sluggo claims Kaberle's is - he still makes rookie mistakes on a regular basis), yet Kaberle is generally a solid two-way player and gets thrown into the #2 category.

Interesting.
What's interesting is how hopelessly out of touch you are with the NHL.

To compare Jovanovski's defensive ability to Kaberle's is hilarious.

You are right, one is far more questionable then the other, but you seem to have inverted the players.

Defensively, Kaberle can't hold a match, let alone a candle, to Jovanovski.

Old
11-02-2003, 10:34 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
The only place Kaberle is a #4 defenseman is on a healthy Detroit Red Wings team.

It seems most reasonable people here can agree that he is between a lower-end #1 and a top end #2. He'd be on the first pairing of most teams in the NHL.
He'd be #4 in Long Island.

Old
11-02-2003, 01:37 PM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox

You are right, one is far more questionable then the other, but you seem to have inverted the players.

Someone's out of touch with the NHL, but it certainly isn't me. Have you actually seen Jovanovski play before? No, I didn't think so, either. Why don't you go ask the average Canuck fan what they think of Jovanovski's defensive game.

Old
11-02-2003, 01:50 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox

Newsflash - just because someone is more physical, it does not make them great defensively - or even better defensively than someone who isn't. Dale is right - Jovanovski hasn't been great defensively by any imagination. That part of his game has tended to be overrated by a lot. Granted, he may have improved a bit this year, but 10 games does not a season make.

Old
11-02-2003, 01:54 PM
Darth Milbury

The perspective of a non-Leaf fan (who does not even like the Leafs all that much): Kaberle is most definitely a #1 dman on about 75% of the teams in the league. His offensive skills are close to elite and he has got good defensive skills. He won't take the next step to elite status (because he is not physical enough) but he is a solid young defesemenn.

Kaberle looks limited when you compare him to the elite guys in this league, but I think of him in the same way I think of Hamrlik, Janne N., and Kenny J. Not an all star, probably not a top 10 dman, but a very talented player that any team would like to have.

I may not like the Leafs but I definitely respect Kaberle's abilities. He is a fine two way player, and the Leafs are lucky to have him.

Old
11-02-2003, 01:56 PM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
The perspective of a non-Leaf fan (who does not even like the Leafs all that much): Kaberle is most definitely a #1 dman on about 75% of the teams in the league. His offensive skills are close to elite and he has got good defensive skills. He won't take the next step to elite status (because he is not physical enough) but he is a solid young defesemenn.

Kaberle looks limited when you compare him to the elite guys in this league, but I think of him in the same way I think of Hamrlik, Janne N., and Kenny J. Not an all star, probably not a top 10 dman, but a very talented player that any team would like to have.

I may not like the Leafs but I definitely respect Kaberle's abilities. He is a fine two way player, and the Leafs are lucky to have him.
Couldnt agree more Darth.

Closed Thread