HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Babcock on last season

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2003, 07:20 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Mike Babcock on last season

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column..._ej&id=1649516

Power-play time with ...

Mike Babcock is ready for the challege of re-establishing his team's work ethic.
Mighty Ducks coach Mike Babcock...

Q: What was the most important thing you learned from your first season as an NHL coach?
A: You learn what a grind it is. Every team and every coaching staff is elite. You have to have a lot of respect for the players. People come to games and they don't care how many games you've played or how banged up you are, they just want you to play hard. And for the most part, these guys do a fantastic job.

Q: Over the summer, how often did you think about the Game 7 loss to the Devils in the Cup final?
A: Lots. But I believe coaching is about the test of time. A guy like Pat Burns put in a lot of years and he got his due reward. I feel like if I continue to do good things and I'm real fortunate to have some good breaks, one day I'll get another opportunity. But it was hell of a ride and as much fun as I've ever had.

Q: Did you talk to any other coaches about what to expect after such a successful year?
A: Absolutely I did. And I spoke to coaches in different sports. I spoke with Mike Scioscia with the Angels. I talked to Paul Maurice at the draft. I talk to a lot of coaches all the time. And everybody tells you it will be a challenge. First, I think you have to look at yourself. Then, we as a coaching staff have to evaluate the players. Then, we have to move forward together and be better.

Q: After such a successful season, what was different about training camp this year?
A: It was a lot different. The guys knew who I was; I don't know if that's a good thing. This year, because we felt the guys earned it, we gave them more rope. And even though we felt we had a good training camp, the urgency and intensity in our one-on-one battles weren't the same as the year before and it has transferred into the start of the season.

Q: So far, what's the difference between this year's Ducks and last year's Ducks?
A: There is a huge difference. Last year, we were a great team. We had a passion to play the game, a relentlessness about us, and simple structure that we never varied from as we got going. Now we've got good players, but we're not a very good team. The thing that makes you a good team in this league -- without question -- is work ethic. Now, if you've got talent and work, that's the best. But work beats talent unless talent works. There's no question about it.

Old
10-31-2003, 12:28 PM
BigBully4

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigBully4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column..._ej&id=1649516

Power-play time with ...

Mike Babcock is ready for the challege of re-establishing his team's work ethic.
Mighty Ducks coach Mike Babcock...

Q: What was the most important thing you learned from your first season as an NHL coach?
A: You learn what a grind it is. Every team and every coaching staff is elite. You have to have a lot of respect for the players. People come to games and they don't care how many games you've played or how banged up you are, they just want you to play hard. And for the most part, these guys do a fantastic job.

Q: Over the summer, how often did you think about the Game 7 loss to the Devils in the Cup final?
A: Lots. But I believe coaching is about the test of time. A guy like Pat Burns put in a lot of years and he got his due reward. I feel like if I continue to do good things and I'm real fortunate to have some good breaks, one day I'll get another opportunity. But it was hell of a ride and as much fun as I've ever had.

Q: Did you talk to any other coaches about what to expect after such a successful year?
A: Absolutely I did. And I spoke to coaches in different sports. I spoke with Mike Scioscia with the Angels. I talked to Paul Maurice at the draft. I talk to a lot of coaches all the time. And everybody tells you it will be a challenge. First, I think you have to look at yourself. Then, we as a coaching staff have to evaluate the players. Then, we have to move forward together and be better.

Q: After such a successful season, what was different about training camp this year?
A: It was a lot different. The guys knew who I was; I don't know if that's a good thing. This year, because we felt the guys earned it, we gave them more rope. And even though we felt we had a good training camp, the urgency and intensity in our one-on-one battles weren't the same as the year before and it has transferred into the start of the season.

Q: So far, what's the difference between this year's Ducks and last year's Ducks?
A: There is a huge difference. Last year, we were a great team. We had a passion to play the game, a relentlessness about us, and simple structure that we never varied from as we got going. Now we've got good players, but we're not a very good team. The thing that makes you a good team in this league -- without question -- is work ethic. Now, if you've got talent and work, that's the best. But work beats talent unless talent works. There's no question about it.
Meaningless post. I don't care about what Mike Babcock says. He is the coach of the Stanley Cup losers. And please change your avatar. Underworld stunk.

Old
10-31-2003, 07:36 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBully4
Meaningless post. I don't care about what Mike Babcock says. He is the coach of the Stanley Cup losers. And please change your avatar. Underworld stunk.
I don't know if it was meaningless as he addressed Burns' job in the finals and commented on the importance of having a great team work ethic. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Cant please everyone.

Closed Thread