HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

revolutionary idea

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2006, 09:35 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500
revolutionary idea

or just plain stupid???

You make the call.

The Rangers albatross all year has been their secondary scoring. We haven't had that 2nd line center capable of setting up wingers like Prucha and Rucinsky and Sykora and it's bitten us in the arse more often than not.

With Rucchin out for another 2 possibly 3 more games and Rucinsky not expected back until game 5 at the earliest I propose that we at least try something different.

While his defensive abilities are obviously lacking in all 3 zones on the ice, no one can argue that he's not good offensively. I'm thinking that Sandis Ozolinsh may not be the worst choice as a 2nd line center for a game or two.

Before ripping me apart let's look at how the lines could be drawn up:

Prucha - Nylander - Jagr
Straka - Ozolinsh - Sykora
Ward - Betts - Hossa
Hollweg - Moore - Ortmeyer

I know that I've not been a big fan of Hossa's and in a perfect world he wouldn't be on this team, but he is and he's going to be more valuable than Orr in the PO's as fighting and the need to protect teammates decreases.

At this point in the season I would choose a guy like Sandis over Immonen because I don't think that you can call a guy up this late in the year and expect him to produce at teh NHL level and further expect him to produce in the playoffs.

It's a risk, but it's one that I would gamble on for at least 1 game to see what can become of it.

As Johnny Storm says quite often

Flame ON!!!

Old
04-19-2006, 10:49 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
hahaha, I think its a great idea. But I do like Immo, and once Rucinsky and Rucchin come back. I cant stand this guy on our blueline. Everytime he's on the ice, I need to take out the blindfold.

Old
04-19-2006, 10:51 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
or just plain stupid???

You make the call.

The Rangers albatross all year has been their secondary scoring. We haven't had that 2nd line center capable of setting up wingers like Prucha and Rucinsky and Sykora and it's bitten us in the arse more often than not.

With Rucchin out for another 2 possibly 3 more games and Rucinsky not expected back until game 5 at the earliest I propose that we at least try something different.

While his defensive abilities are obviously lacking in all 3 zones on the ice, no one can argue that he's not good offensively. I'm thinking that Sandis Ozolinsh may not be the worst choice as a 2nd line center for a game or two.

Before ripping me apart let's look at how the lines could be drawn up:

Prucha - Nylander - Jagr
Straka - Ozolinsh - Sykora
Ward - Betts - Hossa
Hollweg - Moore - Ortmeyer

I know that I've not been a big fan of Hossa's and in a perfect world he wouldn't be on this team, but he is and he's going to be more valuable than Orr in the PO's as fighting and the need to protect teammates decreases.

At this point in the season I would choose a guy like Sandis over Immonen because I don't think that you can call a guy up this late in the year and expect him to produce at teh NHL level and further expect him to produce in the playoffs.

It's a risk, but it's one that I would gamble on for at least 1 game to see what can become of it.

As Johnny Storm says quite often

Flame ON!!!
I am never a fan of moving people into position they are uncomfortable playing. I'll pass.

Old
04-19-2006, 10:58 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
I am never a fan of moving people into position they are uncomfortable playing. I'll pass.

play poti at LW

Old
04-19-2006, 11:01 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
play poti at LW

Old
04-19-2006, 11:30 AM
in the hall

Playoffs is not the best time to experiment imo.. if it goes bad..

Old
04-19-2006, 11:41 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
If that ever did happen, I'd rather have Straka at center at a position he has played before and Ozo on a wing.

Old
04-19-2006, 11:45 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Is it certain that Rucchin is out for another 2 to 3 games?

Old
04-19-2006, 11:47 AM
BLACKBURN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
play poti at LW
Poti's our only gritty, huge open ice hitter, why move him to wing? Just ask the Sens

Old
04-19-2006, 11:48 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
Poti's our only gritty, huge open ice hitter, why move him to wing? Just ask the Sens

What's weirder? We are in the playoffs or that Poti has developed a mean streak?

Old
04-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

You really want Ozolinsh being defensively responsible for the other teams center? They have to mark them up you know.

STUPID idea.

Old
04-19-2006, 01:17 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather
You really want Ozolinsh being defensively responsible for the other teams center? They have to mark them up you know.

STUPID idea.

If Strudwick can play forward, Ozo and Poti have alot more speed, I know u gotta be somewhat responsible defensivly, I think it would be worth a shot, id rather have a dman who can play defense than Ozo and Poti as defenseman on the Rangers.

Old
04-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Sicilian

center is probably the most important position defensively besides defenseman itself... i like the creativity, but something tells me the defensive liability won't be magically lifted if ozo plays center.

Old
04-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Ola

A few notes. A offensive D can/have/will never work as a offensive winger. Not even Paul Coffey could have made that translation, atleast not with out a long break-in period. Why? Its a diffrent sport.

What is a offensive D good at? (in terms of hockeysense/vision and even skills)
-Passing the puck with everyone infront of him.
-jumping into the play, comming from behind.
-Stickhandling past players that are standing still.
-shooting from the blueline, one timers ect.

He is in other words not good at jumping into holes in the neutral zone. Handling a pass in the neutral zone with 2-3 opponent players looking to kill him. Stickhandling against a D that have the same speed as him. There isn't a player in the world who are born with thoose skills, a forward have much easier time moving to D then a D has to move up. Thats a general rule. Though a misstake by a D costs more so its not tried that often. Many centers have huge problems moving to the wing.

Though moving to center is a diffrent issue. It can work out nice, if that line plays a very defensive trap. Though Ozolinsh would defenitly not be better then a Rucchin/Betts/Immonen at skating the puck up ice - as a center. Its one thing for him to get a pass and skate with it against a collected D when he have 2 wingers and a center to pass to. Its a completetly diffrent thing for a center to take care of all the puckhandling obligations he have. Beeing able to take a pass in all situations and do something with it. A player who have never played center before just can't handle that. Its just so much more then the physical skills a hockeyplayer might have, like skating, stickhandling ect. You have to take 1000's of decisions per game, in the fastest game on earth. Nobody can do that without having done it millions of times before. Not at this level.

So PLD I think your idea could work if we played a much better team and had no other option then trapping for all we are worth the entire game. Not beeing allowed to play even a resemblance of a puckmoving game. But as it is right now Rucchin/Betts/Immonen/Helminen/D. Moore would be better in pretty much all aspects of the game then Ozolinsh as center.

Old
04-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Pogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Maybe we can have Weekes as the RW on the Ozo center line. Better yet, somebody find Corey Hirsch and put him as the top D pairing with Toots.

Closed Thread