HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Game 1 Starter...

View Poll Results: Who's in net?
Huet 99 81.82%
Aebischer 22 18.18%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Game 1 Starter...

Who will it be? Who do you want to play in Game 1?

Old
04-19-2006, 08:11 AM
Tuggy

Personally I would go with Aebischer. That probably won't be the popular choice around here but my gut tells me he's the better choice. He has playoff experience, albeit not a lot, and IMO he's been the better of the two over the last two weeks. Neither of the guys are clear cut #1 goalies but Gainey must go with the hotter hand and I believe that's Aebischer.

Old
04-19-2006, 08:20 AM
Qui Gon Dave

vCash: 500
Technically I dont mind which guy gets the start as long as they play well. But if pushed to a decision, I'd like to see Huet play game 1 (well, i'd like to listen to him play game 1). Has Huet faced the Canes yet this season? I think he deserves it and would do a good job as long as the team doesn't hang him out to dry. I would like and expect to see Huet given the first start, but it would not suprise me too much if Bob went with Aebi (who played the Canes in his first start with the Habs IIRC and he was ok but he has probably settled into the team more now and has a better understanding of the players around him). I'm sure i heard Bob talking recently about matching goaltenders against teams that play in certain ways, which, if true, means he probably thinks that one goalie will be better placed to deal with the Canes. As to who that may be, i don't know, but i'd be interested to hear other peoples thoughts on who might have the better style of play to go against the Canes.

But overall, like i said at the start, I'm not overly fussed which goalie plays against any team we face in the course of our playoffs, just as long as they can keep us competitive.

Old
04-19-2006, 08:28 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave
Technically I dont mind which guy gets the start as long as they play well. But if pushed to a decision, I'd like to see Huet play game 1 (well, i'd like to listen to him play game 1). Has Huet faced the Canes yet this season? I think he deserves it and would do a good job as long as the team doesn't hang him out to dry. I would like and expect to see Huet given the first start, but it would not suprise me too much if Bob went with Aebi (who played the Canes in his first start with the Habs IIRC and he was ok but he has probably settled into the team more now and has a better understanding of the players around him). I'm sure i heard Bob talking recently about matching goaltenders against teams that play in certain ways, which, if true, means he probably thinks that one goalie will be better placed to deal with the Canes. As to who that may be, i don't know, but i'd be interested to hear other peoples thoughts on who might have the better style of play to go against the Canes.

But overall, like i said at the start, I'm not overly fussed which goalie plays against any team we face in the course of our playoffs, just as long as they can keep us competitive.
The team seems to play a different style with both goalies. I find with Huet they are more conservative but with Aebi they take more chances and are more offensive. (This was touched on in an article posted yesterday).

Now the question is...what kind of game do we want to play against Carolina? Do we want to play conservative or do we want to pressure their D and Gerber? Personally I think that the Canes defense and goalie are ripe for the picking. They have struggled down the stretch and Gerber has not looked good.

I'd be perfectly comfortable with either goalie but I just can't shake this feeling that we'll see Aebi in Game 1.

Old
04-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Darz

As much as I think Huet should get the nod (you dance with who brought you), I have this feeling that Gainey is going to go with Aebischer.

04-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

Huet...this team wouldnt be in the playoffs without him this year

Old
04-19-2006, 08:35 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
Personally I would go with Aebischer. That probably won't be the popular choice around here but my gut tells me he's the better choice. He has playoff experience, albeit not a lot, and IMO he's been the better of the two over the last two weeks. Neither of the guys are clear cut #1 goalies but Gainey must go with the hotter hand and I believe that's Aebischer.
I agree with the bolded part of your post, and that in fact may be the reason Gainey decides to start Aebischer against the Canes. In terms of who has been better over the past two weeks, it's debatable and frankly it's an arbitrary time frame (why not over the past month?).

I voted Huet, I think the team plays a more confident & defensively responsible (last night notwithstanding) game with him in net.

Last edited by habfan4: 04-19-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old
04-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
As much as I think Huet should get the nod (you dance with who brought you), I have this feeling that Gainey is going to go with Aebischer.
I said Huet as well.

Isn't it sad to think how much Theodore cost us this year??? Man...what an awful year for that guy...and judging by the way he has played with Colorado since his return I'd be a tad worried if I was an Avalanche fan.

Cap

Old
04-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan
Huet...this team wouldnt be in the playoffs without him this year
Does that change the fact that he hasn't looked good the last two weeks?

Old
04-19-2006, 09:25 AM
wildone26*

It is intersting the poll was entitled who do you think will start, and then you said in your first statement who do you want to start, so which is it? I guessed it was more who you thought would start, so I picked Aebischer. I am shocked Gainey has not made the annoucnement already, it is probably pretty obvious to Carolina so keeping things under wrap is now a waste, they might as well just come out now and say it is Abby. Then again Gainey has known he would start Abby in the playoffs for a month and a half now no matter what, so keeping it secret a bit longer is probably easy for him.

Old
04-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26
It is intersting the poll was entitled who do you think will start, and then you said in your first statement who do you want to start, so which is it? I guessed it was more who you thought would start, so I picked Aebischer. I am shocked Gainey has not made the annoucnement already, it is probably pretty obvious to Carolina so keeping things under wrap is now a waste, they might as well just come out now and say it is Abby. Then again Gainey has known he would start Abby in the playoffs for a month and a half now no matter what, so keeping it secret a bit longer is probably easy for him.
Dude, you're like the Sean Avery of hfboards.com

Cap

Old
04-19-2006, 09:29 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
you should change your name to, entertainingone, grasshopper...

Old
04-19-2006, 09:30 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
Dude, you're like the Sean Avery of hfboards.com

Cap
priceless...

Old
04-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Nihilism

You start Aebischer in game 1 then don't expect Huet to re-sign in the summer. Why would he want to come back to a team that he took on his shoulders to the playoffs, than they start another goalie?

This Pierre McGuire "playoff experience" crap is total BS.

Old
04-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilism
You start Aebischer in game 1 then don't expect Huet to re-sign in the summer.
Why should that factor into Gainey's decision? Gainey is going to put the team first not Huet's feelings. If he feels Huet gives us a better chance to win then he'll play him, not because of next season.

Old
04-19-2006, 09:47 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Does that change the fact that he hasn't looked good the last two weeks?

Huh ?

Stats for the last 2 weeks :

Huet
5 GP (2-3) - 13 GA - 2.60 GAA - .921 SV%

Abby
4 GP (3-1) - 11 GA - 2.75 GAA - .922 SV%

Looks the very same to me... Can't people see that the team, not the goalies, struggled against Buffalo and New Jersey...

Based on these stats, there is no hot hand at the moment. I'll go with Huet because he showed he could do better previously in the season, but would keep Abby ready to play if Huet folds (that doesn't mean changing the goalie after each loss...).

But that's just my own opinion. I, for myself, don't pretend to be able to read Gainey's mind.

Old
04-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax
Huh ?

Stats for the last 2 weeks :

Huet
5 GP (2-3) - 13 GA - 2.60 GAA - .921 SV%

Abby
4 GP (3-1) - 11 GA - 2.75 GAA - .922 SV%

Looks the very same to me... Can't people see that the team, not the goalies, struggled against Buffalo and New Jersey...

Based on these stats, there is no hot hand at the moment. I'll go with Huet because he showed he could do better previously in the season, but would keep Abby ready to play if Huet folds (that doesn't mean changing the goalie after each loss...).

But that's just my own opinion. I, for myself, don't pretend to be able to read Gainey's mind.
I don't need to use stats, I've seen 80 of the Habs 82 games this year. IMO Huet has looked the shakier (is that a word?) of the two and less confident then he was earlier in the year. I have no problem with Gainey starting Huet but I just think he will start Aebi. I hope everyone is prepared if that happens.

Old
04-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilism
You start Aebischer in game 1 then don't expect Huet to re-sign in the summer. Why would he want to come back to a team that he took on his shoulders to the playoffs, than they start another goalie?

This Pierre McGuire "playoff experience" crap is total BS.
How much playoff experience does Gerber have? Ya, I thought so.

Cap

Old
04-19-2006, 09:59 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
How much playoff experience does Gerber have? Ya, I thought so.

Cap
Well said. For my part, i'm undecided. I love Huet's composure but i also love Aebisher's size and athletism. Merge the 2 and you have another Roy.

Old
04-19-2006, 10:02 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
I don't need to use stats, I've seen 80 of the Habs 82 games this year. IMO Huet has looked the shakier (is that a word?) of the two and less confident then he was earlier in the year. I have no problem with Gainey starting Huet but I just think he will start Aebi. I hope everyone is prepared if that happens.

Well, I can only see Saturday nights games on CBC/SRC as I'm in Ontario (only summaries for other games and I don't like to judge on game summaries), but Abby sure looked shaky last Saturday. I still am upset about this PK goal. Not completely Abby's fault, but he certainly opened the net to the Sabre forward.

On the opposite, I couldn't blame Huet for the first Devils loss (I was in the Bell Centre), and the game before that was a shutout against the B's so...

And once again, the games we have to look at are the games against the Sabres and the Devils. One unsmart choice on a breakaway / 3-on-1 for each goalie in these games, but the team in front of them couldn't buy the win. Neither goalie stole a game on its own, though.

The choice of the goalie is not that matters most. Smarter defensive game from the team in front of whoever starts is required to win.

As I said, I'd play Huet on previous success. There's no hot hand for me at the moment.

Old
04-19-2006, 10:24 AM
wildone26*

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=163129&hubname=nhl

We know what TSN thinks.

Old
04-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Is that the same station that had the Leafs in their top 10 power rankings all year?

Cap

Old
04-19-2006, 10:33 AM
#44_delivers

off topic but is game 1 on friday or saturday???

Old
04-19-2006, 10:35 AM
wildone26*

Quote:
Is that the same station that had the Leafs in their top 10 power rankings all year?

Cap
No they did not have the Leafs in their top 10 power rankings. Interestingly their pre season predictions overall were Montreal 7th, New Jersey 6th, and Toronto 8th.
So they werent too too far off, New Jersey came 3rd but only on the last minute.

Old
04-19-2006, 10:38 AM
wildone26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
off topic but is game 1 on friday or saturday???
Saturday.

Closed Thread