HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistically, our chances with Huet/Aby are not so good

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Guy Caballero

vCash: 500
There's nothing worse than a self-hating Hab fan.

If the habs won the Cup, some posters on this board would immedately start threads about how bad this is for our free agent signings and how we'll never repeat. They have no ability to simply sit back and enjoy their team once in a while. They're just compulsive nerds who have to prove to an annoymous internet community that they're always right (and they won't hesistate to remind you of that in the midst of a losing streak, with comments like, "See, I told you they sucked."). You'll often see them posting to the main board (and other teams' boards) apologizing on behalf of the rest of us, those who actually support the team.

If you're a Hab fan, you support the best team in the history of the game. Show a little pride.

Old
04-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Teufelsdreck

Reminder: Both Lundqvist and Niittymaki played in the Olympic gold medal round. Along the way they faced many of the most dangerous shooters in the game playing together. The pressure matched NHL playoff games. Gerber was in goal for games in which the Swiss team upset favored opponents. When it comes to John Grahame, we're talking about someone who is both inexperieced and mediocre. Tortorella may elect to go with the more experienced Sean Burke. Huet is untested.

Old
04-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Mikhail Grabovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing
Hello everyone, I haven't posted in a while, but I see many of you are blind to the fact that until his hot streak Huet has done nothing worth mentioning in his hockey career. I'm not one of his haters and I do want to see him bring us as far as possible in the playoffs, but I feel less confident about our goaltending situation than I have in years. Now we have a much better team as a whole but some kind of weird balancing act of nature made our goaltending so much worst. Theo got what he deserved, and Huet, my friends, is nothing but a mere stop gap; the only problem is we can't play a rookie goaltender in the playoffs. This idea may sound absurd, disrespectful to he guy that got us this far even (bla bla bla, many of you forget hockey is a buisness) and I'm not going to lose my sleep over it, but our beloved french goalkeeper lost his hot streak at the wrong time. Yeah, some of you might even say it came against some weak oposition. I'm not even considering Aby because let's face it, he ain't much better; besides if I had to chose one of the two Huet, despite his shortcomings, would be my guy. For us to get past the first round, aka. a team that outright crushed us left and right Theo or not, we would need to play some kind of super-glue trap. Our offense is NO match for carolina's, 51 goals more than us. Stall might have no playoff experience, but hes the spark plug of that team, dont count on him faltering. On the flip side, our defense is better, so we might just have a chance if we play, as I mentioned a very responsible defensive game. Call me pessimistic, whatever, it's my opinion so feel free to debate it. Cordiously.

Great Observation..

NOT

GO HABS GO

Old
04-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
There's nothing worse than a self-hating Hab fan.

If the habs won the Cup, some posters on this board would immedately start threads about how bad this is for our free agent signings and how we'll never repeat. They have no ability to simply sit back and enjoy their team once in a while. They're just compulsive nerds who have to prove to an annoymous internet community that they're always right (and they won't hesistate to remind you of that in the midst of a losing streak, with comments like, "See, I told you they sucked."). You'll often see them posting to the main board (and other teams' boards) apologizing on behalf of the rest of us, those who actually support the team.

Quoted for truth

Old
04-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Medicine Twin

Playoff experience is overrated.

Old
04-19-2006, 03:57 PM
PJ Wiggum

Send a message via MSN to PJ Wiggum
This just brings me back to the series in 02, nobody was giving the Habs a chance to beat the Bruins because they finished first in the east and we barely made it in if not for goaltending, but the fans always knew Montreal would pull through and this is exactly what's going to happen again. Habs in 6.

Old
04-19-2006, 04:00 PM
wholeshow*

carolina has been slumping like crazy as of late (they lost to mediocre teams while they were fighting for first in the playoffs)...not showing any desperation or emotion.
you're overestimating carolina's abilities.

the team that destroyed the habs is not the same anymore. cole is gone, and their goaltending has fallen off the map. gerber has been mediocre, and cam ward has jose theodore type numbers. speaking of which, in those games where we were bounced by the canes we didn't have markov (3-15 without andrei speaks for itself) nor did we have huet. To say that our goaltending situation is bad, is blasphemy.

As of right now, the habs probably have one of the best goaltending situations in the league. Huet and Aebischer have struggled? maybe, but our losses have come against the two top teams in the eastern conference. besides their save percentages have been well above .900 in the past 10 games....so are they really struggling? sure we just lost a few close games in our last 6 games, but in retrospect we beat the teams that were below us (yes, even the senators) something which we had problems with all season. if we had the sabres and devil games in the midway of the season, there wouldn't be ANY questions about our goaltending situation...because if we played anyother 2 teams in the east we would be going into the playoffs on a hot streak.

Old
04-19-2006, 04:23 PM
zurg999

Thank you NextBest for being condescending without even trying. I'll bet you don't even have a FuManchu.

You don't know that most of us here realize that Huet and Aebi are unproven, but that can't stop us, as Habs fans, from hoping and believing that at least one of them will catch a hot streak and get us a few extra playoff games. In one way we're in a better position that a lot of playoff teams in having (arguably) two potentially solid if unspectacular guys.

I don't think Gainey has anything to lose by staring Huet in Game 1. If he starts Aebi and has to go to Huet and gets both goalies blown out he's in a much worse position coming back. I say start Huet and let the chips fall in Game 1.

Old
04-19-2006, 06:56 PM
JV

Huet settles the D down. His impact has been enormous. If Gainey starts him, and his level of play remains where it has been, we'll be capable of running with the Canes and even beating them.

You gotta dance with the one who brung you.

Old
04-20-2006, 11:15 AM
wildone26*

If Huet starts I would give them an outside shot to win the series in 7, although probably they would still lose in 6 or 7. If Abby starts they will probably be swept, and best case scenario is losing 6.

Old
04-20-2006, 11:17 AM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999
Thank you NextBest for being condescending without even trying.
Quoted for truth. Can't wait for game 1.

Old
04-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Firthbird
#Drivefor25

Well you know what, a goalie can't be a Roy until he is given the chance. Huet has the chance to become a goalie of high stature. Remember, Roy was in the same boat in 86', he wasnt proven.

Closed Thread