HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Pre-Game Thread - Conference Quaterfinals Game 1: NYR @ NJD

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2006, 06:08 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
as I said, I think the Rangers need to come out strong and dictate play - and not let the play be dictated. These few days off, if nothing else, recharges Jagr. If need be, Renney will have him ready to play 25-30 minutes. I'm guessing that he thinks this first game is important, thus ensuring going to home ice tied 1-1 at worst and taking some pressure off his guys, thus enabling them to relax in game two (not slack off, but play a composed game with less pressure).
I agree Fletch though even if we don't win the first game it's not the end of the world or the series but they need to put in a good effort. To play constructively which they haven't done much of in the last month. Some of that might be due to injuries and some might be to do with Renney experimenting more. It's also the team as a whole getting away from the way they played earlier (although as I said above I think the officiating has been bent against us for a while). Ozo needs to get his act together also. He needs to be a weapon for us which he is capable of being and not a weapon that's going to blow up in our face. If he has a bad playoffs I would dump him for whatever and ASAP. This is where he's going to make or break whether he's with us or not next year. I don't feel all that comfortable giving Strudwick too much ice time. He's just too slow. And I don't think Pock is ready for this either but if Ozo is a liability we probably won't be around long enough to find out about him anyway.

Old
04-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Czech Your Math

I agree with those that say it's imperative for the Rangers to split the first two games in New Jersey. This is especially true, because of how the series is scheduled. If they go back to NY tied 1-1, then they just need to win game 3, then have 3 days off before a back to back on the weekend. It's going to be really hard for either team (but esp. the Rangers) to win back to back games, and whoever is down 2-1 will have to do so, or else be down 3-2 and having to win consecutive elimination games.

Devils are a tough draw, they've been red hot, but Rangers have played pretty well against them. They have a lot of experience, but they aren't really "better" than the Rangers. The Rangers beat them the first 2/3 of the season, when NY was playing well, and the Devils have beat them down the stretch.

I think what really hurt about the Rangers dropping to #6 is IF they beat New Jersey (mighty big IF right now), they will have to face Ottawa in the second round (unless Ottawa or Carolina is upset in first round). Ottawa is the one team that seemed to outclass the Rangers, everyone else they are competitive with, if they're playing their best.

Back to the task at hand... just have to play smart, disciplined hockey, get some scoring from the 2nd line, and hope Jagr & Lundqvist carry them like they were most of this season.

Old
04-21-2006, 06:20 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

If we're going to win one game in Jersey, I'd rather it be game two than game one.

I'd just like to see us get back to the type of hockey we played pre-Olympics. Lose the first 2-1 or even 3-1 with an empty netter. Maybe get Jersey a little over-confident about game 2 at home. The we take game 2 and come back to the Garden with renewed confidence and with the momentum on our side.

Old
04-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Phil333

The last two posters: The desire to lose game 1 is nuts. You never think about losing games. Win Win Win. Another loss for this team is not what it needs after having lost 6 straight.

Old
04-21-2006, 06:35 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil333
The last two posters: The desire to lose game 1 is nuts. You never think about losing games. Win Win Win. Another loss for this team is not what it needs after having lost 6 straight.
I said IF we were to split the 2 games in Jersey.
Obviouly the best scenario would be to win both games.

2nd Best: Lose game 1, Win game 2
3rd Best: Win Game 1, Lose game 2

I will not mention the 4th scenario.

Old
04-21-2006, 06:36 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil333
Klinsor said that IF we HAD TO lose one game he'd prefer it be game one. Not that he wants us to lose game one.

Just thought I'd clarify.

EDIT: NM he got to it first.

Old
04-21-2006, 06:40 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken
Klingsor said that IF we HAD TO lose one game he'd prefer it be game one. Not that he wants us to lose game one.

Just thought I'd clarify.

EDIT: NM he got to it first.
Thanks anyway.

I do appreciate the vote of confidence in my fleeting sanity.

Old
04-21-2006, 06:46 PM
SickNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Nah, more like the '86 team. Ya know, the one that beat the first place Flyers who were coming into that series as the hottest team in Hockey....ring any bells(Not Bruce Bell)?
True, true. I'm just trying to point out that I think the first goal is especialyl important vs. the Devils. I hope this is like the 94 team...

Old
04-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

So anyone notice that most of the playoff goals so far are power play/specialty teams goals?

Love the job Nashville has been doing to Thorton so far.

Besides Lidstrom, all of Detroits D-men got banged around against Edmonton, who could actually win if that defense holds and Roloson stays solid.

Old
04-22-2006, 01:08 AM
Draft Guru

Refs were calling everything for the most part tonight. Special teams are definitely going to play a huge part in this series.

Old
04-22-2006, 01:32 AM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Don't know if this has been mentioned but no underdog won tonight. All the favorites won.

That changes tomorrow tho!!

Old
04-22-2006, 01:53 AM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR fan 2
Don't know if this has been mentioned but no underdog won tonight. All the favorites won.
True, but 2 OT games and San Jose can't be too big an underdog (in the series).

Since Rangers have been in doldrums of late, and have injuries/illnesses, if they can get out of first period without being behind, I like their chances tomorrow.

Old
04-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Melrose_Jr.

GDT is open.

Closed Thread