HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You are BG: What is your strategy?

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2006, 08:23 AM
Netro

vCash: 500
You are BG: What is your strategy?

We all fancy ourselves as armchair GM's and coach's, so, what would be your gameplan versus carolina, specifically:

(a) Lines
(b) Starting Goalie
(c) System (2 man forecheck, trap, dump-in? etc...)
(d) Line matching?

Assumption: Begin is not available

I will start, to get the ball rolling:

(a) Lines
Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Bulis-Ribs-Kovalev
Zednick-Pleks-Perezhogin
Murray-Bonk-Downey

Markov-Komisarek
Souray-Rivet
Streit-Dandenault

Just some decisions:
(i) Downey over Sundstrom: I am one of the few fans left, I think, of Sundstrom. However, despite his intelligence on the ice and deft hand/eye coordination, he seems to be a step slow. Downey has good wheels (at least better than Sundstrom) and that is the sole reason I put him in the line-up, on the checking line. Not in the line-up for fisticuffs. (Clearly, if Begin were available, he would be on this line instead of Downey)

(ii) Streit over Bouillion: Bouillion did not look ready against the Devils and appeared a step slower than normal. I think Streit has improved throughout the year. If Bouillion gets back to 100%, then it is no brainer, I insert him the line-up. But, he just did not look physically ready vs. NJ

(b) Goalie:
No brainer to me, has to be the horse that got the habs to the playoffs...Huet. I just like how "quiet" Huet looks in nets.

(c) System:
The Habs are a much better team when they take it to the opposition. I would personally play, when there is not an odd man rush, a dump-in game (cross-corner lobs), send in a 2 man forecheck and let the 3rd forward hang back high to prevent 3 on 2's. I think the Habs speedy wingers will be able to create turnovers this way in the offensive zone. This should also hopefully result in more puck possession for the Habs and prevent the Canes from pressuring the Habs D, like the Devils and Sabres did in the 3rd period of the last 2 games.

(d) Line matching:
BG does not always seem to care about matching lines, as long as he rolls 4 lines. At the moment, Ray Whitney is on IR but I assume he will play, if not in game 1, then shortly.

Personally, I would match lines up as follows:

Koivu line vs Staal/Stillman/Cullen:
Power vs Power, but also I think the Koivu line can handle the Staal line defensively better than any other line on the Habs

Ribs line vs Adams/Adams/Ladd:
The 4th line for the Canes. They might not get as much ice time as the other 3 lines, so the Ribs line will have to play against other lines. I would try to avoid the Ribs line vs the Staal or Brindamour lines.

Pleks line vs Larose/Weight/Recchi:
I think Pleks speed will give him a chance to give Weight problems.

Bonk line vs. BrindAmour/Vasicek/Williams:
Checking line vs. Carolina line #2. Bonk has size to match BrindAmour and Murray and Downey bring speed to this line.

Defensively, I would try to get Komisarek/Markov out versus the Staal line and Souray/Rivet (size and physical play) out versus the BrindAmour line

Old
04-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Darz

I might be tempted to try Zednik again on the 2nd line. The way I look at it, Bulis isn't exactly clikcing with Ribs and Kovalev, and if Zednik didn't look good on the line, I could go back to Bulis at any point, so.......

04-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Shabutie

NO 1: I ask Wildone what to do about Huet's contract in the off-season.

NO 2: well...I've done all I've had to do.

Old
04-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Guy Caballero

Good job. That's pretty much exactly what I would do.

Old
04-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Beakermania*

My strategy

1) Eat Downey Potatoes....
2) Rub the Sacred Pretzel for luck...
3) Score more goals than the canes in 4 of the next 7 games....
4) Work on Strategy for round 2.

Old
04-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro
We all fancy ourselves as armchair GM's and coach's, so, what would be your gameplan versus carolina, specifically:

(a) Lines
(b) Starting Goalie
(c) System (2 man forecheck, trap, dump-in? etc...)
(d) Line matching?

Assumption: Begin is not available

I will start, to get the ball rolling:

(a) Lines
Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Bulis-Ribs-Kovalev
Zednick-Pleks-Perezhogin
Murray-Bonk-Downey

Markov-Komisarek
Souray-Rivet
Streit-Dandenault

Just some decisions:
(i) Downey over Sundstrom: I am one of the few fans left, I think, of Sundstrom. However, despite his intelligence on the ice and deft hand/eye coordination, he seems to be a step slow. Downey has good wheels (at least better than Sundstrom) and that is the sole reason I put him in the line-up, on the checking line. Not in the line-up for fisticuffs. (Clearly, if Begin were available, he would be on this line instead of Downey)

(ii) Streit over Bouillion: Bouillion did not look ready against the Devils and appeared a step slower than normal. I think Streit has improved throughout the year. If Bouillion gets back to 100%, then it is no brainer, I insert him the line-up. But, he just did not look physically ready vs. NJ

(b) Goalie:
No brainer to me, has to be the horse that got the habs to the playoffs...Huet. I just like how "quiet" Huet looks in nets.

(c) System:
The Habs are a much better team when they take it to the opposition. I would personally play, when there is not an odd man rush, a dump-in game (cross-corner lobs), send in a 2 man forecheck and let the 3rd forward hang back high to prevent 3 on 2's. I think the Habs speedy wingers will be able to create turnovers this way in the offensive zone. This should also hopefully result in more puck possession for the Habs and prevent the Canes from pressuring the Habs D, like the Devils and Sabres did in the 3rd period of the last 2 games.

(d) Line matching:
BG does not always seem to care about matching lines, as long as he rolls 4 lines. At the moment, Ray Whitney is on IR but I assume he will play, if not in game 1, then shortly.

Personally, I would match lines up as follows:

Koivu line vs Staal/Stillman/Cullen:
Power vs Power, but also I think the Koivu line can handle the Staal line defensively better than any other line on the Habs

Ribs line vs Adams/Adams/Ladd:
The 4th line for the Canes. They might not get as much ice time as the other 3 lines, so the Ribs line will have to play against other lines. I would try to avoid the Ribs line vs the Staal or Brindamour lines.

Pleks line vs Larose/Weight/Recchi:
I think Pleks speed will give him a chance to give Weight problems.

Bonk line vs. BrindAmour/Vasicek/Williams:
Checking line vs. Carolina line #2. Bonk has size to match BrindAmour and Murray and Downey bring speed to this line.

Defensively, I would try to get Komisarek/Markov out versus the Staal line and Souray/Rivet (size and physical play) out versus the BrindAmour line
Some good points here. My greatest fears are 1) erratic goaltending by either Huet or Aebischer, 2) inept defense by Bouillon/Streit, and 3) breakaways and odd man rushes resulting from Ribeiro's poor faceoff skills and lack of speed. The last Devils game illustrated all three in the third period.

Old
04-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Some good points here. My greatest fears are 1) erratic goaltending by either Huet or Aebischer, 2) inept defense by Bouillon/Streit, and 3) breakaways and odd man rushes resulting from Ribeiro's poor faceoff skills and lack of speed. The last Devils game illustrated all three in the third period.
Ribs speed is at the very least, equal to most of the canes.

Old
04-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
Ribs speed is at the very least, equal to most of the canes.
I would agree and disagree somewhat. Ribs doesn't have that first step quickness which is why he appears slow. Beating him on a face-off or bumping him off the puck often becomes problematic against the Doug Weights of this world.

Old
04-20-2006, 10:41 AM
CareyPrice x 31

vCash: 3907
my strategy is to win!

Old
04-20-2006, 11:12 AM
#44_delivers

my strategy would be to have our faster forwards play against carolina's top line with the pure objection of shutting them down through tight coverage, while playing to capitalize on any mistakes they make.

we need to play speed with speed even if it means sacraficing some of our talent towards heavy defensice coverage.

we just got to play oppertunistic(sp) hockey.

Old
04-20-2006, 11:19 AM
tinyzombies

Great post. I think a 2-1-2 Tampa style forecheck will work too. We have to get on their defense hard (before they get to ours!). Tverdovsky and Kaberle are prone to coughing the puck up, so we need lots of pressure.

I don't agree about your line matchups. Staal will run Koivu ragged with his speed ans size. I don't like it.

On the road, Laviolette will have the change anyway. It will be interesting to see what lines he matches.

He'll probably try to get Brind'Amour on Koivu and Weight on Ribs and K.Adams line on Pleks. That frees up Staal against the Bonk line (speed mismatch). Carolina's VERY strong up the middle.

When we get home:
Koivu-KAdams
Ribeiro-Weight
Plekanec-Staal
Bonk-Brind'Amour

Old
04-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
I would agree and disagree somewhat. Ribs doesn't have that first step quickness which is why he appears slow. Beating him on a face-off or bumping him off the puck often becomes problematic against the Doug Weights of this world.
Ribs acceleration is decent when he uses it, it's just that we don't see it all too much cuz he usually just slows down to create a play. He's not the slowest guy on the team though.

Old
04-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
Ribs acceleration is decent when he uses it, it's just that we don't see it all too much cuz he usually just slows down to create a play. He's not the slowest guy on the team though.
Exactly, he is A LOT quicker without the puck than he is with it. Most people slow down with the puck a little to control it, but he slows down a lot.

Old
04-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Netro

Shabutie - IMO, Ribs is slower than most of the Canes. The Canes are a quick team and overall, Ribs is not fast. In fact, I would classify him as slow. He will be caught from behind in this series.

Another thing to consider in preparation for the Canes.... There is no doubt that the Canes will be dumping the puck in and using their speed to pressure the Habs D. I imagine they will put 1 guy to chase the dump-in and pressure the D that retrieves the puck. The second guy will probably rotate down towards the other D man in anticipation of a pass. This will make it difficult on the Habs D. How do the Habs combat this? Personally, I think that the Habs D must either hammer the puck out, but then they won't control the play, or have the centre rotate down low for the quick pass from the D. I am hoping the latter happens.

Closed Thread