HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

WXYT rumor on Datsyuk

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2006, 09:16 AM
O'shizzle

vCash: 500
WXYT rumor on Datsyuk

I know this is mindless speculation, but that's what this board is all about. I heard on WXYT that Datsyuk's injury will keep him out of game 1, and they've called up Filppula from GR. I have a friend in GR who's trying to find out if Filppulla's on his way here.

Old
04-20-2006, 09:25 AM
Goldark

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'shizzle
I know this is mindless speculation, but that's what this board is all about. I heard on WXYT that Datsyuk's injury will keep him out of game 1, and they've called up Filppula from GR. I have a friend in GR who's trying to find out if Filppulla's on his way here.
What was the context of this speculation? Was it just a couple of guys discussing that if Datsyuk was out that Flippula would take his place? Or did they actually think Datsyuk was going to be out in Game 1 due to what they've seen/heard?

Old
04-20-2006, 09:29 AM
O'shizzle

It was Lund and Anderson on the morning show, but they usually rely on the "insiders." In WXYT's case, it's probably Regner. If anyone's going to know what's going on, it's him.

I need to either get a life or get a job where I don't work from home.

Old
04-20-2006, 09:36 AM
SGY19

I haven't found anything yet, but if I do I will post it. If he's only going to miss game 1 then what's the point of even calling up Filppula? Why can't Mowers just fill in?

Old
04-20-2006, 09:47 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGY19
I haven't found anything yet, but if I do I will post it. If he's only going to miss game 1 then what's the point of even calling up Filppula? Why can't Mowers just fill in?
Because Filppula is better than Mowers and it's the playoffs. Just a guess.

I'm thinking it's all BS and Datsyuk will play. They say he had a good, full skate yesterday so I think it's all smoke.

Old
04-20-2006, 09:54 AM
doublejack

I was afraid something like this would happen because he missed the Nashville game I think he'll be back soon though.

Old
04-20-2006, 10:05 AM
O'shizzle

This whole thing could turn out to be nothing. As a matter of fact, I wish I hadn't posted it. Live and learn.

Old
04-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Or he could just be called up to be part of the black aces. With the regular season over there is no salary cap and the Wings can call up as many players as they want.

Redmond was on Drew and Mike this morning and said everyone will play.

Old
04-20-2006, 10:15 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
This is shades of Yzerman vs Los Angeles in 2003

Old
04-20-2006, 10:47 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi
This is shades of Yzerman vs Los Angeles in 2003
Yzerman had a broken ankle or something like that, didn't he? I thought it was from a motor cycle incident, and that added to the grief because it wasn't even a hockey injury. Datsyuk doesn't have anything broken so I'm sure he'll be back soon. In fact, if this were a game 7 instead of a game 1 he'd probably dress.

I think the practice he participated in brought to light that he's still not ready, so rather than risk further injury they'll let him rest more. I don't really see a problem here. We're a 1 seed and played extremely well the last two months. Edmonton is an 8 seed and stumbled their way in. If we can't hold them off for a game or two without Pavel we don't deserve to win the series.

Old
04-20-2006, 11:06 AM
O'shizzle

It has to be one of two things.

1. It's just too painful or uncomfortable that he just can't play. This being the playoffs, I'd hope he'd suck it up and play.

2 It's something that could get worse if he plays. Like a (God help me for even saying it) groin pull.

Last edited by O'shizzle: 04-20-2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old
04-20-2006, 11:09 AM
SGY19

WDFN is also saying Datsyuk will be out for game 1.

Old
04-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Shoalzie

I love Dats but missing him for one game isn't the end of the world. This team is too deep to fall apart because of one forward being out. Zetterberg is the team's best overall forward...I'd be more worried if he was going to miss Game 1. I hope Dats can come back at some point...don't rush him back to get him hurt more.

Old
04-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
Yzerman had a broken ankle or something like that, didn't he? I thought it was from a motor cycle incident, and that added to the grief because it wasn't even a hockey injury. Datsyuk doesn't have anything broken so I'm sure he'll be back soon. In fact, if this were a game 7 instead of a game 1 he'd probably dress.

I thought both Yzerman and Shanahan got broken feet from blocking shots early in the series. Shanahan returned for Game 6 but too little too late.

Old
04-20-2006, 11:25 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
Or he could just be called up to be part of the black aces. With the regular season over there is no salary cap and the Wings can call up as many players as they want.

Redmond was on Drew and Mike this morning and said everyone will play.
He's better off playing 20 minutes a night in GR in the AHL playoffs than sitting in the press box for as many as 8 weeks for the Wings. If he's not going to play, he should be in GR. If he is going to play, I think he would be a valuable player to have.

Old
04-20-2006, 11:27 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack

Yzerman got the injury in a game a few days before, I think Shanny was the accident victim.

Old
04-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Here's the update i heard on 1270. Pavel is proable for tomorrows game and it's his decision. That came from Art Regner

Old
04-20-2006, 11:38 AM
8snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie
I love Dats but missing him for one game isn't the end of the world. This team is too deep to fall apart because of one forward being out. Zetterberg is the team's best overall forward...I'd be more worried if he was going to miss Game 1. I hope Dats can come back at some point...don't rush him back to get him hurt more.
I made a comment on another thread that missing Datsyuk will hurt this team. Yes Zetterberg is their best center/player, yes they have depth. But after Datsyuk, what skilled center on this team can hurt you with speed? It certainly isnt Lang, and Zetterberg is merely a solid skater. Datsyuk brings an element this team doesnt have a lot of at center, unless Babcock moves Draper and possibly Willams (though I doubt it) back to the middle.

Old
04-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
He's better off playing 20 minutes a night in GR in the AHL playoffs than sitting in the press box for as many as 8 weeks for the Wings. If he's not going to play, he should be in GR. If he is going to play, I think he would be a valuable player to have.
True but it's all about the Wings now. Lets say someone comes down with the flu a few hours before game time. If Filppula is in GR he wouldn't make i here in time. But if he's with the team he would be in the lineup.

Old
04-20-2006, 11:44 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'shizzle
It has to be one of two things.

1. It's just too painful or uncomfortable that he just can't play. This being the playoffs, I'd hope he'd suck it up and play.

2 It's something that could get worse if he plays. Like a (God help me for even saying it) groin pull.
I think it's something like that... groin, hammy, some kind of pull where it could tear if it's abused. Datsyuk is a tough little cookie, he'd play if it were just a pain issue.

Old
04-20-2006, 11:51 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie
I thought both Yzerman and Shanahan got broken feet from blocking shots early in the series. Shanahan returned for Game 6 but too little too late.

Shanny came back for game 5 but had to sit game 6 out again because his foot didn't respond well.

But you're right, both Yzerman and Shanahan suffered breaks from blocking shots. Shanny broke a foot, and Yzerman had a broken lower leg. The motorcycle story was misinformation and probably got started because teams are so hush-hush about injuries in the playoffs. I just googled it and found this story from the Detroit News archives.

Quote:
Urban legend
Steve Yzerman and Wings management addressed the rumor that has been circulating about Yzerman injuring a foot dirt-biking with Darren McCarty or Brendan Shanahan, or a variety of other players.
"Totally false," Yzerman said, adding he's never been on a motorcycle.
Yzerman suffered a fractured left fibula -- not a sprained left ankle as originally believed -- while blocking a shot against Philadelphia on March 30. Three days later, he suffered a broken finger on his left hand against Columbus.
Shanahan said the rumor is nonsense.
"It's not worth commenting on, dignifying at all," he said.
General Manager Ken Holland's response?
"Totally preposterous," he said. "No truth to it whatsoever."

Last edited by doublejack: 04-20-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old
04-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Hopefully he'll be back for game 2.

Old
04-20-2006, 12:12 PM
DetRedWings13

Just heard on WXYT that babcock said he does not think datsyuk will play for game 1.

Old
04-20-2006, 12:21 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Don't discount Pasha's heart and determination...remember, this is a guy who played all through the Olympics with a broken finger...that couldn't be easy to do.

Old
04-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
I don't doubt any of Datsyuk's ability, I just don't think Datsyuk will play tomorow. No need to risk him being out the rest of the playoffs if all he needs is 1 game off.

Closed Thread