HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik signs

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2003, 10:18 AM
Oiltalk

vCash: 500
Gaborik signs

http://www.sportsnet.ca/index.jsp

Oilers better get on a roll now.

Old
10-31-2003, 10:21 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
http://www.sportsnet.ca/index.jsp

Oilers better get on a roll now.
And this gives fuel to the Comrie fire... Gaborik was in the same rough situation as Mike - RFA, no arbitration rights. Not sure what his base salary was last year, though, but how much more than Comrie's $1.1-ish million could it have been?

<sigh>

Bart

Old
10-31-2003, 10:27 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I was just about to propose a Gaborik, M. Fernandez, W. Mitchell to Edmonton for Comrie, Salo, J.Smith, J. Chimera a 1st Rounder and a 3rd Rounder.

This puts pressure on KLO, Berard and Gabby have both signed, The Spotlight is on us now.

Old
10-31-2003, 10:33 AM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
I was just about to propose a Gaborik, M. Fernandez, W. Mitchell to Edmonton for Comrie, Salo, J.Smith, J. Chimera a 1st Rounder and a 3rd Rounder.

This puts pressure on KLO, Berard and Gabby have both signed, The Spotlight is on us now.
Berard has signed... where?

Old
10-31-2003, 10:35 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Chicago

Old
10-31-2003, 10:35 AM
oildrop

Quote:
With the Chicago Blackhawks, to a 1-year deal(2.01million).

Old
10-31-2003, 10:38 AM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
With the Chicago Blackhawks, to a 1-year deal(2.01million).

i must use inferior nhl information resources on the net.
oh well, i guess berard will collect a nice paycheque and watch the playoffs on TV like the rest of the blackhawks.

Old
10-31-2003, 10:41 AM
windowlicker

it looks like the Gabbo deal could top out at 15mil/3 years..... and you know, Comries most goals in a season is 33, one more than Gabbo..

%&^&*.. Looks like Riseborough caved a little.. this i think puts a little more pressure on KLowe, as the lone rebel left behind fighting the forces of evil.

Old
10-31-2003, 10:50 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
i must use inferior nhl information resources on the net.
oh well, i guess berard will collect a nice paycheque and watch the playoffs on TV like the rest of the blackhawks.
me 2, this just happened this morning right Berand? and Gaborik?

Old
10-31-2003, 11:05 AM
OYLer

Had to phone the better half and let her know that the only guy she picked in our HinterLand minor hockey league fund raiser pool, who wasn't getting any points for her, will be strapping on them Wild blades of his again soon. Kovalchuk, Forsberg, and Hejduk in a, points only, pick once for the year pool, my head said yes, but my stomach got upset, my heart took control and I picked Mogilny, Sakic, and Thorton who were in the same respective groupings.

Old
10-31-2003, 11:14 AM
Mr Sakich

this truly sucks. I am so peed off right now. The CBA must be fixed or we are not going to have team post 2005.

The one and only time that the owners have the hammer, they cave. Nice going Reisbrough, nice going Muckler, nice going Burke. You guys are making the agents laugh out loud right now.

Old
10-31-2003, 11:37 AM
serum114

Quote:
it looks like the Gabbo deal could top out at 15mil/3 years..... and you know, Comries most goals in a season is 33, one more than Gabbo..

%&^&*.. Looks like Riseborough caved a little.. this i think puts a little more pressure on KLowe, as the lone rebel left behind fighting the forces of evil.
Actually, the 10 mil over 3 years in base salary was what they were reportedly offering. Gaborik was looking for 5 per guarenteed with incentives up to about 6.5. Instead he got 3.5 guarenteed with incentives up to 5.

I think one of the bigger influences on this getting done was the Bertuzzi extension. the fact that he's in the 6-7 range and has proven more than Gabby probably hurt Marian's bargaining position.

I don't think this deal affects the Comrie "negotiations" either way really... Havlat is a better comparable than Gaborik anyways. All you have to do is ask who people would rather have, Comrie or Gaborik, to know who is exponentially more valuable.

My 2 cents...

Old
10-31-2003, 11:39 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
According to the link
Quote:
Gaborik earned $1.075 million in base salary last season when he led the Wild with 65 points including 30 goals in 81 games but earned an additional $3 million in performance bonuses.
Gaborik has now signed a $10M 3 yr base salary deal. So what do we think Comrie is worth now?

The league is setting the market rate and it sure isn't near the qualifying offer that Comrie got. Unfortuntely from the Oilers perspective if you want to be competitive you've got to pay going rate.

Old
10-31-2003, 11:46 AM
Marconius

I can't believe the Wild blinked first. I would say this puts more pressure on Lowe for sure. If there was minimal chance Comrie was going to play here before, I'd say its officially reached zero. The Gaborik signing gives Winter that much more leverage and theres no way the Oilers will sign that kind of contract.
I'm also kind of dissapointed Lowe didn't even make a pitch for Berard. He's exactly what we need back there. Bergeron really impressed me last game with his offensive abilities, but I woulda loved to see Berard back there

Old
10-31-2003, 11:49 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114
I don't think this deal affects the Comrie "negotiations" either way really... Havlat is a better comparable than Gaborik anyways. All you have to do is ask who people would rather have, Comrie or Gaborik, to know who is exponentially more valuable.
If given a choice of having Havlat or Mike Who? on my team for equal dollars, I'd know what the plain answer to that simple question would be.

Old
10-31-2003, 12:16 PM
Mr Sakich

lets compare the seasons that comrie has had vs gaborik

rookie year 2000-20001
Gaborik - 71 gms, 36 pts, -6, 0.507 ppg
Comrie - 41 games, 22 pts, +6, 0.536ppg

conclusion - same points per game, Comrie had a better year due to much better plus minus

2nd Year 2001-2002
Gaborik 78 games, 67 pts, 0+/- 0.859 ppg
Comrie 82 games, 60 pts, +16, 0.731 ppg

conclusion - Gaborik scored 7 more points but was on the ice for 23 more goals against. Pretty darn close

3rd Year
Gaborik 81 games, 65 pts, +12
Comrie (on pace before broken arm)82 games, 68 points, -10

conclusion - Comrie scored a few more points but Marion had the better +/-, Pretty darn close

In summary, I f I am Comrie's agent, I ask for the identical contract. He has put up similar numbers and shown leadership. Comrie has a career high of 33 goals, Marianne's is 30 goals. Pretty darn close.

Closed Thread