HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks after Bryan Berard?

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2003, 04:58 AM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Canucks after Bryan Berard?

http://spectorshockey.net/

This one comes right out of left field, mind you the reporter is Al Strachan, not really known for his insider info on the Canucks. In any case, this makes no sense to me. Like Spector says, the Canucks already have one of the most potent offensives in the league, adding a one-dimeionsional Berard doesn't add too much to the club that they don't already have. On top of that, the Canucks would almost certainly have to fork over at least $1.5 mil to Berard, probably $1.8 mil, the ammount that the Bruins refused to give him. In any case, if this happened, I would have to think that at least one blueliner would be on the move. Seeing as Berard is a puckrushing d-man who can QB a powerplay, I would think that this would mean Sopel would be dealt. This said, this is a pretty rediculous rumour...

Old
10-26-2003, 07:13 AM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecca13
Won't happen. Berard is as one-dimensional as it gets. Think Sopel without the hair, the shot, and one eye.

Strachan is again proving himself to be a complete moron. Al probably heard that Burke was on the Eastcoast and he either assumed he was talking to Berard, or just made up the rumour as is his trademark. Or maybe he did it just to piss Burke off. Burke obviously doesn't care for Strachan too much and maybe Al is still pissed at Burke for making him look like a jack ass on HNIC a while ago.

Acquiring Berard would make no sense. He's pretty one dimensional as a d-man and he's lost a lot of the offence that made him dangerous since his eye injury.

It's obvious "Strach" doesn't watch too many Canuck games. If he did he would realize (or maybe not cuz he doesn't seem to know too much) that the Canucks already have a fairly solid 2-way d-core which would probably be weakened by adding Berard.

I think that if Burke is looking for a d-man, he's looking for a tough SOB that can lay some beats in front of the net, and maybe throw down when needed.

Old
10-26-2003, 07:31 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecca13
Won't happen. Berard is as one-dimensional as it gets. Think Sopel without the hair, the shot, and one eye.
True.

Old
10-26-2003, 07:32 AM
LaVal

this is one of the most pathetic rumors i've heard in a while. can't Strachan make up something that makes sense?

Old
10-26-2003, 08:14 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
this is one of the most pathetic rumors i've heard in a while. can't Strachan make up something that makes sense?
Ahem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al "Dumber than Cheese" Strachan
Strachan claims this move would make sense for the Canucks as it would add even more depth to their already strong blueline corps.

Yep, we need to spend $2.008 million to improve "depth"

Old
10-26-2003, 09:12 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

This was also verified by The Province today; they said that the Canucks had been in "extensive talks with Tom Laidlaw, the agent for Bryan Berard", and that the Flames had reportedly offered him a 3-year deal that could push them past the Canucks.

~Canucklehead~

10-26-2003, 09:18 AM
Reign Nateo

The only way I can see this happening is if Sopel is shipped out of town immediately after Berard is signed. Then I might actually support this move.

Berard has a lot of untapped talent and if his eye continues to heal he could prove why he was picked ahead of Wade Redden in the end. Most likely not.

Better player than Sopel in my opinion. A lot more pricy, but better. He could be a great partenar for Ohlund.

Old
10-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Impossibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
The only way I can see this happening is if Sopel is shipped out of town immediately...

Old
10-26-2003, 10:07 AM
galiano

This does sound a bit far fetched unless you think that Burke might want to package Sopel and say Umberger for a proven top six forward. Those two could bring a substantial return from Pittsburgh or Columbus given that Umberger is a local boy. Then signing Berard does make some sense.

Old
10-26-2003, 10:13 AM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
I do agree with you on that part. Sopel wont be traded. Bryan Allen is the odd man out.

Old
10-26-2003, 10:18 AM
Rageinthecage

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
This was also verified by The Province today; they said that the Canucks had been in "extensive talks with Tom Laidlaw, the agent for Bryan Berard", and that the Flames had reportedly offered him a 3-year deal that could push them past the Canucks.

~Canucklehead~

Hope the Flames get Berard, and then we can make Sutter an offer for Denis Gauthier. Apparently he is on the market right now as well.

Old
10-26-2003, 10:22 AM
Reign Nateo

Here's a scenario:

Vancouver signs Bryan Berard.

Then trades Brent Sopel and RJ Umberger to Pittsburgh for Martin Straka and Kris Beech.

Naslund Morrison Bertuzzi
D. Sedin H. Sedin King
Arvedson/Straka/Linden
Cooke/Chubarov/May

Ohlund Berard
Malik/Salo Jovanovski
Allen/Salo/Slegr

Now we just flip Cloutier to Anaheim for Giguere and we're set!

(just joking around)

Old
10-26-2003, 10:33 AM
tantalum

Up front let me say I don't think the rumour makes much sense. A trade would be the result (Sopel) and right now the team is playing very well so I don't see that happening, unless there is a too good to be true offer for Burke somewhere. But before anyone completely rags on Berard he would complement the canucks nicely. His defensive play has been much improved during his time with the Rangers and Bruins mostly due to an increase in physical play. His offence is still very good. He is better than Sopel in all respects IMO.

Old
10-26-2003, 10:39 AM
orcatown

May well be an agent trying to drum interest in their client and/or putting some pressure on a club that shows interest. (see Calgary) Would make sense for Calgary but I'm not sure he improves what we have. Unless Crawford is happy wtih neither Slegr or Allen.

Old
10-26-2003, 10:45 AM
nucks2001

vCash:
The Bruins have the right to match on any offer less than 2.1 million roughly. So to avoid that you'd have to give Berard a pretty hefty contract, hence why he is still unsigned. Could probably work out some sort of sign in trade but the way Harry Sinden works, I doubt that.

Old
10-26-2003, 10:46 AM
theo6060

Here's the story from the Toronto Sun. If Berard signs with the Canucks then who goes?

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...26/237326.html

FORMER LEAF BERARD SET TO JOIN CANUCKS

Despite the budget crackdown that is affecting most National Hockey League teams, there are strong indications that a couple of players will be on the move this week.

Former Leaf Bryan Berard, who was released by the Boston Bruins when they walked away from an arbitration award last summer, is poised to sign with a western team. At the moment, the front-runners are the Vancouver Canucks.

The deal is not yet firm, but it has advanced far enough that it is understood that Berard will make more than $2.008 million US.

As a result, the Bruins will have no right to match. Any salary over 80% of the arbitrated award of $2.51 million precludes the Bruins making a claim.

The move would make sense for the Canucks. In the tough Western Conference, a team needs a strong core of offensive defencemen.

And for that matter, much of the success of this years' Stanley Cup winners, the New Jersey Devils, had to do with the fact that they had three offensive defencemen.

The Canucks view themselves as genuine Stanley Cup contenders, so shoring up in that department is a good decision, especially since it doesn't cost any players.

Old
10-26-2003, 10:56 AM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergizerScotty
I do agree with you on that part. Sopel wont be traded. Bryan Allen is the odd man out.
that would leave us with

Jovanovski
Ohlund
Salo
Sopel
Slegr
Berard

as offensive, or 2-way defensemen with high offense. Malik would be our lone stay-at-home blueliner... and even he jumps up often.

Old
10-26-2003, 11:16 AM
nucks2001

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
that would leave us with

Jovanovski
Ohlund
Salo
Sopel
Slegr
Berard

as offensive, or 2-way defensemen with high offense. Malik would be our lone stay-at-home blueliner... and even he jumps up often.
Allen would get us a better return compared to Sopel

Old
10-26-2003, 11:35 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks2001
Allen would get us a better return compared to Sopel
I think thats a stretch.

Sopel put up almost 40 poits last year and makes peanuts.

Allen was drafted very high in 97 and has yet to really make his mark, I think most teams would pay more for Sopel who makes roughly half of what Allen does.

Old
10-26-2003, 11:42 AM
Yammer

Thoughts (or, if you are jrhockey1, "thotz")

a) Could Strachan have reported a real scoop? Mark this day on your calendar!

b) Berard vs. Sopel. Isn't Berard a left shot? Don't the Canucks (as well as everyone) covet right shots for power play purposes?

c) If his offensive game gets back on track, Berard could eventually replace Jovanovski. Jovo could be dealt for a star-caliber forward to replace Naslund, who is set to retire in a couple of seasons, and has been so public about it that he's made himself untradeable.

d) Berard vs. Allen. I don't see Allen being threatened by the signing. They bring different skill sets to the game.

e) Effect on Kiril Koltsov. How many young, fast offensivemen with defensive liabilities do you need in one organization?

Old
10-26-2003, 11:50 AM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer
Thoughts (or, if you are jrhockey1, "thotz")

a) Could Strachan have reported a real scoop? Mark this day on your calendar!

b) Berard vs. Sopel. Isn't Berard a left shot? Don't the Canucks (as well as everyone) covet right shots for power play purposes?

c) If his offensive game gets back on track, Berard could eventually replace Jovanovski. Jovo could be dealt for a star-caliber forward to replace Naslund, who is set to retire in a couple of seasons, and has been so public about it that he's made himself untradeable.

d) Berard vs. Allen. I don't see Allen being threatened by the signing. They bring different skill sets to the game.

e) Effect on Kiril Koltsov. How many young, fast offensivemen with defensive liabilities do you need in one organization?
If the canucks were going to go out and spend this sort of money on a defender, they'd be much better off going after a stay-at-home guy like yuskie. Even if we were to trade sopel, I don't think that we would need another offensive defenseman (assuming that this comes with defensive liabilities). After all, the idea behind picking up Slegr was that he could potentially replace some of sopel's offense.

Old
10-26-2003, 12:06 PM
MVP

Let me start off by saying i might be reading too much into this at this moment.

My personally feeling is that this could be the fallout of the Thursday meeting between Burke and McCaw, there have been absolutely no news on that meeting, and it has been 3 full days passed that meeting. Maybe they just decided to announce the deal tomorrow Monday which is Burke's favorite date, and is not a gameday.

However, what if McCaw rejected the Bertuzzi deal and the excuse is that McCaw does not want to commit to a long term deal especailly with the strong possibility of changing owner and the new CBA is coming up and want to leave that Bertuzzi's decision to the potential new owner.

And we all know that Burke has a big ego, and has apparently really want this Bertuzzi contract to happen, and the media will criticize his power if he cannot get this Bertuzzi deal done.

Well since Burke has suggested that the team is very committed to winning short term, i will suggested that has been supported by McCaw as well, and indicated by the signing of Hedberg, Cloutier and Avredsson to a one deal, this is the year they really want to do something. And McCaw will be willing to dish off the cash and make this team look like a true winner to make it looks attractive to the buyer. The problem as mentioned before is the fact that McCaw has to make this team look like a true contentor this year while keeping it as sustainable salary management for next year.

So what is the solution to the problem? As all of you clever posters have already guessed, the solution will be to get as many quality players as possible with a one year deal. And we can go back to the point of Bryan Berard, here the guy that still carry the reputation of the past, i mean if any of you actually watch the way he played last season, he was arguably the best dman that Boston had, and was very solid on both ends of the ice. Definately much more solid than Sopel is this season. When it is all said and done Sopel might be a better player than Berard, but since Burke and McCaw are looking at this team in a very short term basis right now, don't be surprise to see the team increasing the salary of this season and improve the d-core with Berard, and subsequently dealt Sopel, plus prospects or draft pick for some more firepower.

Old
10-26-2003, 12:18 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
Let me start off by saying i might be reading too much into this at this moment.
yep, you're reading too much into it

Old
10-26-2003, 12:36 PM
Peter

"No, no, no. You have it all wrong. The team that is intereested is the Vancouver Canucks. You see, it will go down like this. The Canucks and Berard agree to a one year deal worth just over 1 million dollars. Boston waives their right to match in exchange for Brent Sopel. In addition Boston sends a 5th round pick to Vancouver."

I made this statement on Oct. 13 in the Trade Rumor section. I still say it has some merrit. I could be wrong but just wanted to remind the faithful here that I did say Berard could be coming to Vancouver.

Old
10-26-2003, 12:39 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
"No, no, no. You have it all wrong. The team that is intereested is the Vancouver Canucks. You see, it will go down like this. The Canucks and Berard agree to a one year deal worth just over 1 million dollars. Boston waives their right to match in exchange for Brent Sopel. In addition Boston sends a 5th round pick to Vancouver."

I made this statement on Oct. 13 in the Trade Rumor section. I still say it has some merrit. I could be wrong but just wanted to remind the faithful here that I did say Berard could be coming to Vancouver.
errr...we get berard for one year in exchange for sopel? if we're going to trade sopel we can do a hell of a lot better than that.

Closed Thread