HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where does Comrie rate?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-31-2003, 10:29 AM
  #1
camboy
Registered User
 
camboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,088
vCash: 500
Where does Comrie rate?

Where does Comrie rate amongst the "new wave" of NHL stars? I see Gaborik, Heatley, Kovalchuk, Zetterberg, J-Bo, Havlat, etc being the "studs". Is Comrie in this group? Does anyone care to rate these players on a scale of 1-10....keeping in mind their natural talent, value to their teams, and future potential. I am just interested to see what everyone thinks we will be missing in the event Comrie gets moved...and to a lesser extent....what Comrie's trade value is. Can we get a Zetterberg or Gaborik or Havlat? I think, the Oiler fans deserve the honor of cheering on at least ONE of these great players. Opinions? Where does MC rate?

camboy is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 10:34 AM
  #2
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy
Where does Comrie rate amongst the "new wave" of NHL stars? I see Gaborik, Heatley, Kovalchuk, Zetterberg, J-Bo, Havlat, etc being the "studs". Is Comrie in this group? Does anyone care to rate these players on a scale of 1-10....keeping in mind their natural talent, value to their teams, and future potential. I am just interested to see what everyone thinks we will be missing in the event Comrie gets moved...and to a lesser extent....what Comrie's trade value is. Can we get a Zetterberg or Gaborik or Havlat? I think, the Oiler fans deserve the honor of cheering on at least ONE of these great players. Opinions? Where does MC rate?
I don't think Comrie or Zetterberg are up there... and maybe to an extent even Gaborik.

Those other guys are going to be the super-class, where as Comrie and Zetterberg are going to be the Doug Weight like guys... a guy you would love on your team, and does great, but doesn't quite do what the elite guys do.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 10:37 AM
  #3
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,389
vCash: 500
We coulda cheered two studs with Hemsky and Comrie, but we'll have to settle for one. Comrie is not at Havlat/Gborik status yet, and definately not Kovalchuk/Heatley worthy. Comrie is maybe at a Datsyuk level.

Mowzie is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 10:38 AM
  #4
oildrop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,486
vCash: 500
Comrie is not in the same group as Heatley, Kovalchuk and Gaborik. Comrie has a solid future ahead of him but nothing compared to what the Heatley's and Kovalchuk's are going to have.

oildrop is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 10:40 AM
  #5
Oiltalk
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,721
vCash: 500
9.5-Heatley
9-Gaborik, Kovalchuk, J-Bo
8-Comrie, Havlat
7.5-Zetterberg


10-Hemsky

Oiltalk is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 10:45 AM
  #6
FacelessButcher
Registered User
 
FacelessButcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 500
1.J-Bo(10)
2.Kovalchuk(9.2)
3.Heatley(9.1)
4.Gaborik(8.7)
5.Havlat(8.3)
6.Comrie(8.2)
7.Zetterburg(7.8)

IMO

FacelessButcher is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 11:22 AM
  #7
Jim_Harnock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Country: Wales
Posts: 1,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
1.J-Bo(10)
You know, when I first saw this, I thought you were making a Jason Bonsignore joke... then I clued in.

BTW, great avatar, Killing Joke was fantastic. Too bad Brian Bolland has gone all digital -- his work just isn't the same anymore.

Jim_Harnock is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 11:30 AM
  #8
mugu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
1.J-Bo(10)
2.Kovalchuk(9.2)
3.Heatley(9.1)
4.Gaborik(8.7)
5.Havlat(8.3)
6.Comrie(8.2)
7.Zetterburg(7.8)

IMO
i agree with your assesment 100% except id put healty kovalchuk boumeester and pitkanen all at around 9.5-10 comrie simply due to his size not his skill level id put in the sejna datsuk briere type level

best regards

mugu is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 04:52 AM
  #9
Oilhitch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
1.J-Bo(10)
2.Kovalchuk(9.2)
3.Heatley(9.1)
4.Gaborik(8.7)
5.Havlat(8.3)
6.Comrie(8.2)
7.Zetterburg(7.8)

IMO

IMO I would have Nash and Lacavalier before Havlat Comrie and Zetterburg.


Here is my list.

1. Kovalchuk
2. J-Bo
3. Heatley
4. Gaborik
5. Lecavalier
6. Nash
7. Havlat
8. Comrie

Oilhitch is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 05:17 AM
  #10
kraigus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
9.5-Heatley
9-Gaborik, Kovalchuk, J-Bo
8-Comrie, Havlat
7.5-Zetterberg


10-Hemsky
I know you're joking, but right now, unfortunately, I don't see Hemsky even in the same league as Kovalchuk. Hemsky doesn't have the ability to grab hold of a game the same way that Kovy can, to take it and make it his own. Few players have that ability. I'd have to say too, that Heatley doesn't belong on any list right now - it remains to be seen what long-term effect his troubles this summer will have.

I think, actually, that I'd rate Comrie above Hemsky right now, with the caveat that I'm cheating and using past performance as a guide, where I rejected doing so for Heatley above.

To grab a game, I think a player needs to be able to either be absolutely dominant physically, or to score the game-breaking goals - the other team just scored, you're down 3-2 with five minutes left, and you go out and pot a pair. Hemsky can't (yet?) do that - he just plain doesn't score goals. Comrie does. The best players have both characteristics - like Messier in his prime, Lindros when he's on his game, and even Forsberg. Forsberg doesn't have the big hits or the fights, but when he's cruising, he absolutely can not be knocked down or off the puck. If you do knock him down, he gets right back up again, picks your pocket, and gets a scoring chance.

Hemsky's gonna be very good for sure, he's proven he's a good playmaker, but it remains to be seen yet if he'll be able to jump his play to join the superstars.

(Edit: back on topic, I'd put Kovy at 10 - he's not perfect, but he's MORE perfect than the others, and MC at about 8. Hemsky at 7. He could be a 9 or 9.5 if he'd just SCORE.)

kraigus is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 07:15 AM
  #11
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,935
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I still don't understand how people can think that Heatley has/had more potential then Kovalchuk!!!!!! I mean Kovalchuk now is the same age as when Heatley first started. Lets wait and compare their numbers. I wouldn't be suprised if Ilya scored 50 goals this year, and especialy next year.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 07:26 AM
  #12
Oilhitch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I still don't understand how people can think that Heatley has/had more potential then Kovalchuk!!!!!! I mean Kovalchuk now is the same age as when Heatley first started. Lets wait and compare their numbers. I wouldn't be suprised if Ilya scored 50 goals this year, and especialy next year.
Agreed, Kovalchuk will be one of the biggest stars in the NHL.

Oilhitch is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 07:44 AM
  #13
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Comrie is a quality offensive player, with a distinct lack of size and some question about his defensive play. I'd put him in the Kovalchuk family, but he's at the shallow end of the pool. He could certainly have a Rick MacLeish career (350 goals, 15 year career) or a little better.

Kovalchuk could be Mike Bossy.

Havlat brings alot more to a game than Comrie, so imo they're not good comps.

Bouwmeester COULD be the most valuable of all hockey players: a high skill impact defenseman who can dominate down low.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 08:17 AM
  #14
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Comrie is a quality offensive player, with a distinct lack of size and some question about his defensive play. I'd put him in the Kovalchuk family, but he's at the shallow end of the pool. He could certainly have a Rick MacLeish career (350 goals, 15 year career) or a little better.

Kovalchuk could be Mike Bossy.

Havlat brings alot more to a game than Comrie, so imo they're not good comps.

Bouwmeester COULD be the most valuable of all hockey players: a high skill impact defenseman who can dominate down low.
At the risk of offending some of you old timers, I don't think, when all is said and done, Bossy will NOT belong in the same league as Kovalchuk.

I feel Ilya has the potential to be a Mario-Lemieux type force out there. A talent that comes along once every 10 years and just picks up the NHL by it's bootstraps and takes it for a ride.

As for Bouwmeester, I'm still not sold. People were saying the same stuff about Phillips & Berard a few years ago. He isn't playing very well in Florida lately, and I think that his 'potential' is high, but it might be hard to hit.

I feel when it comes to pure talent, Comrie is more talented than Hemsky. But so many other mitigating factors make Hemsky a better player (or will be a better player, rather).

As for where Comrie 'belongs' in the talent pools, I feel he is around the Nik Antropov/Simon Gagne level. 2nd rung down.

Mizral is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 09:06 AM
  #15
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,935
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
At the risk of offending some of you old timers, I don't think, when all is said and done, Bossy will NOT belong in the same league as Kovalchuk.

I feel Ilya has the potential to be a Mario-Lemieux type force out there. A talent that comes along once every 10 years and just picks up the NHL by it's bootstraps and takes it for a ride.

As for Bouwmeester, I'm still not sold. People were saying the same stuff about Phillips & Berard a few years ago. He isn't playing very well in Florida lately, and I think that his 'potential' is high, but it might be hard to hit.

I feel when it comes to pure talent, Comrie is more talented than Hemsky. But so many other mitigating factors make Hemsky a better player (or will be a better player, rather).

As for where Comrie 'belongs' in the talent pools, I feel he is around the Nik Antropov/Simon Gagne level. 2nd rung down.
COMRIE IS MORE TALENTED THEN HEMSKY??????
that's a big fat NO.
I agree with yoru Gagne level comparison. Although Antropov isn't at the level of either of them so I don't know how in the world you fitted him in there. I also agree with you how ppl were saying the exact same crap about Phillips and Berard.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 09:37 AM
  #16
Jim_Harnock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Country: Wales
Posts: 1,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Although Antropov isn't at the level of either of them so I don't know how in the world you fitted him in there.
Antropov WOULD be at that level if he didn't injure something every time he farts.

Jim_Harnock is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 09:40 AM
  #17
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
At the risk of offending some of you old timers, I don't think, when all is said and done, Bossy will NOT belong in the same league as Kovalchuk ... I feel when it comes to pure talent, Comrie is more talented than Hemsky. But so many other mitigating factors make Hemsky a better player (or will be a better player, rather).
Geez, offending young and old alike ... in one completely off-the-mark post. Have you actually watched Hemsky play on the live ice at an NHL arena during a game? When you see Hemsky play live there is a feeling you get when you watch pure talent. Comrie has a more dogged look when he plays, like a young Cliff Ronning but slightly better.

But the game where Kovalchuk and Comrie squared off and went toe to toe was a classic. Comrie can and will play anywhere in the NHL, do well playing any system, under any coach - Hitchcock, Iron Mike etc. Plus when Comrie took the puck in the chops blocking that shot, then gets up spitting out blood and finishes his shift ... talk about "other mitigating factors" ... I think you have these guys figured exactly backwards. And what, Kovalchuk's got four (4) Stanley Cups and ten years of being at or near the top of the league to be mentioned in the same breath as the Boss from Long Island? But, hey, no offense taken and none intended.

OYLer is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 11:40 AM
  #18
FacelessButcher
Registered User
 
FacelessButcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
IMO I would have Nash and Lacavalier before Havlat Comrie and Zetterburg.


Here is my list.

1. Kovalchuk
2. J-Bo
3. Heatley
4. Gaborik
5. Lecavalier
6. Nash
7. Havlat
8. Comrie
Where in the heck did Nash and Lecalvier come from? I don't think he asked for them to be ranked. I think Antropov is very close to Comrie value wise I would do a straight swap(considering he has size) if it was not for the fact he seems to be so injury prone at such a young age.

FacelessButcher is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 11:46 AM
  #19
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Geez, offending young and old alike ... in one completely off-the-mark post. Have you actually watched Hemsky play on the live ice at an NHL arena during a game? When you see Hemsky play live there is a feeling you get when you watch pure talent. Comrie has a more dogged look when he plays, like a young Cliff Ronning but slightly better.
Yes, I saw Hemsky play. He's a very talented player, no doubt. I think Comrie has the better shot & perhaps more 'go for the juggular' offensive instincts. All in all though, I prefer Hemsky much more.

Mizral is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 12:04 PM
  #20
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,935
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Yes, I saw Hemsky play. He's a very talented player, no doubt. I think Comrie has the better shot & perhaps more 'go for the juggular' offensive instincts. All in all though, I prefer Hemsky much more.
OK, you just killed your arguement. You clearly haven't seen enough of either play to make an assesment. Hemsky has the best shot of any Oiler. He just doesn't use it. Comrie has a very weak shot. He can get the puck up from in close in a hurry with the best of them. But his slapshot, wrist shot are VERY VERY weak.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160 - the Unofficial HF Political board
thome_26 is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 12:32 PM
  #21
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
I don't think Comrie would even make my list...

1. J. Bo
2. Kovalchuk
3. Gaborik
4. Heatley (could've been #1)
5. Spezza
6. Tuomo Ruutu
7. Lecavalier
8. Staal
9. Nash
10. Havlat
11. Hemsky

MrMackey is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 12:41 PM
  #22
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I don't think Comrie would even make my list...

1. J. Bo
2. Kovalchuk
3. Gaborik
4. Heatley (could've been #1)
5. Spezza
6. Tuomo Ruutu
7. Lecavalier
8. Staal
9. Nash
10. Havlat
11. Hemsky
Honesty and wit from that brewtally defensive posture you affect so well. Whilst fools rush in are you gathering your P S & Q's (previous posts, statistics, and quotes) or is this just off the cuff distain?

OYLer is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 12:55 PM
  #23
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Honesty and wit from that brewtally defensive posture you affect so well. Whilst fools rush in are you gathering your P S & Q's (previous posts, statistics, and quotes) or is this just off the cuff distain?

Just off the cuff. Don't get me wrong, I think Comrie's a tremendous talent, and will definitely be around for a long time as a top player - just not a top ten or fifteen guy IMO. I don't really have anything to back me up... just a hunch.

MrMackey is offline  
Old
11-01-2003, 01:39 PM
  #24
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,260
vCash: 500
here is what I can't figure out.. everyone has gaborik rated so much higher than comrie but their numbers are almost identical ??? Before he broke his arm last year, mike was on pace to outscore gaborik yet he gets no respect, even from oilfans??

Is gaborik better defensively - not really
Is gaborik a better leader - no
Is he a better grinder - no
does he score a lot more - no

Where is the huge difference between the two.? Honestly, I think they are pretty much identical and if they switched teams/roles, would put up the same numbers.

Mr Sakich is online now  
Old
11-01-2003, 01:43 PM
  #25
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
At the risk of offending some of you old timers, I don't think, when all is said and done, Bossy will NOT belong in the same league as Kovalchuk.
Hmmm. After scoring over 300 goals in 4 years in junior (70,84,79,75), Bossy arrived in the NHL to score a few, by season:

53
69
51
68
64
60
51
58
61
38

Scored 50 every season but the last one, and his career ended early due to injury. It certainly is a more defensive league these days, so we have to allow for that, PLUS Kovalchuk came to the NHL earlier (the NHL was still drafting 20 year olds in 1977).

He could indeed be better, but we'll have to wait a few years before giving him the crown.

Lowetide is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.