HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why losing to Jersey the last game was a good thing

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2006, 03:12 PM
LesHabsRock

vCash: 500
Why losing to Jersey the last game was a good thing

While most fans will tell you that the loss to New Jersey in the final game of the season after blowing a 3-0 lead was a terrible thing headed into the first round versus the Canes, I beg to differ. If a game like that didn't happen in game 82 of the season, you can bet it would have happened in game 1 of the 2006 playoffs versus the Hurricanes.

IMO the Habs had the toughest schedule the last 7 games of the season playing two games against each of Ottawa, Buffalo, and New Jersey (and one against Boston). The Habs beat the Sens twice, and lost to Buffalo and New Jersey twice (and beat Boston). While, statistically the Sens are number one, I would argue that Buffalo and New Jersey are the best two teams going into the playoffs. Playing those two teams twice each gives the Habs an idea of what level they'll need to play at to beat the Canes (who IMO are not as good as the Devils and Sabres right now). The Montreal Canadiens, were very much, in the game in all four of those losses, and had the opportunity to win each game. Those were, actually good games played by the Habs, minus a couple of bad periods. They fell behind 3-0 to the Devils last week and showed character in coming back and lost 3-2. The last game was almost the opposite, only the Habs built a 3-0 lead, but they let the Devils complete their comeback.

If you really look at those four games against those two teams, I think the Habs will learn from them and they were as good a test as you can have to face the 2nd seed in the East.

Habs in 7.

Old
04-20-2006, 03:19 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

any loss is not a good thing

Old
04-20-2006, 03:25 PM
22SteveBegin22

yeah I think it might be OK to say that it's not <<as bad>> as it looks on its face, but not that it was a positive for us. Imagine if Huet had turned in a shutout and we won 3-0 against one of the stingiest defensive teams in the league... would that not be a better note to end the season on than the loss?

I look into my Cristo Bal and see the habs winning in 6 games. Unlike FEMA and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, we are prepared for the hurricanes.

Old
04-20-2006, 03:27 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs911
any loss is not a good thing
Winning every game and becoming complacent is also not a good thing. Consider those losses building blocks for the playoffs. The Habs showed us good things in those losses. It's not black and white as to say any loss is not a good thing. Losses like that force you to be better. Any "winning team" goes through such losses before they become a "winning team". They are positive.

Old
04-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Bouchard

I think it's something that can be built on, less mistakes come series time hopefully. Go habs.

Old
04-20-2006, 05:37 PM
StanAjax

They should have learnt the Gomez/Gionta after the first game though.
Same with Buffalo. They made less mistakes during the second games, but still lost in the end...

If we're down 2-0 against Carolina, it will be tough as hell to come back.

Closed Thread