HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Measuring my skating speed and my slapshot velocity - how?

Old
05-21-2006, 10:58 PM
night-timer

vCash: 500
Measuring my skating speed and my slapshot velocity - how?

Comments would be appreciated. I am looking for one of those pucks that has the LCD read-out that displays slapshot speed in MPH (or kilometers per hour). Does anyone know where I can buy one?

I've heard those pucks aren't reliable at measuring speed accurately. Anyone know if this is right?

I am also looking for some sort of speedometer that will tell me my skating speed. I'm thinking that maybe joggers use devices like this that I can apply to my power skating drills. Any clues?

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2006, 11:51 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

I had one when I was younger, and no, they're full of *****.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Markov79

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer
Comments would be appreciated. I am looking for one of those pucks that has the LCD read-out that displays slapshot speed in MPH (or kilometers per hour). Does anyone know where I can buy one?

I've heard those pucks aren't reliable at measuring speed accurately. Anyone know if this is right?

I am also looking for some sort of speedometer that will tell me my skating speed. I'm thinking that maybe joggers use devices like this that I can apply to my power skating drills. Any clues?
skating is easy. measure a distance and see how long it takes you to skate. slapshot is harder to measure. too fast to use a stop watch accuratly.

Markov79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 02:25 PM
NJDevs430

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer
I'm thinking that maybe joggers use devices like this that I can apply to my power skating drills. Any clues?
Those pedometers that jogger and walkers use (at least the cheap ones that I can afford) measure total distance by counting the number of steps you take; you need to program in the length of your stride. I found that I don't always take the same length stride when I go walking for exercise, so I basically drove my truck the course of my walk (man, were those golfers pissed!) to find out how far I was going and divided it by the lenght of time I was gone. Anyway...I don't know how accurate they'd be in measuring skating with the gliding and all. I suppose the best way to measure that is to get up to full steam and have a buddy time you from blueline to blueline. Or, have someone with a bicycle with a speedometer on it ride next to you when you skate.

As for your slapshot, find one of those police radar speed limit signs - the ones that say "Your Speed Is" - and fire one past it and see what it says (I'm sure the cops won't mind if you dent it).
<(-:{

NJDevs430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 10:17 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Youll have to measure a distance out and time yourself...probably the easiest way.

But you can always find a baseball radar gun..think a cheaper one is like $100

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote