HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Berard Signing and Comrie situation

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2003, 11:45 AM
jofa

vCash: 500
Berard Signing and Comrie situation

Any chance that Berard was signed to free up McCarthy for a trade involving Comrie? With Zhamnov and Daze out, Comrie is a good fit in Chicago, which is in need of a 1st/2nd line center and some goalscoring, while McCarthy would be a good addition to Edmonton as a young developing offensive defenseman.

Maybe a deal like:

Comrie and ???

McCarthy and either a) Bell b) Calder c) Arnason

Edmonton would fulfill their needs of getting affordable players that can contribute immediately, have some unfulfilled upside potential, and meet the Oiler budget constraints. Not sure how much more than Comrie they'd need to give up though...

Just yet another possibility...

Old
10-31-2003, 11:53 AM
barto

It would mostly depend on Chicago's 'status' as a team...are they in a pure rebuilding mode? If so, they don't give up their young guys like Calder or Arneson. Are they in 'make the playoffs at all costs' mode? If so, then they might sacrifice one of the youngsters for a guy like Comrie who *might* get them over the hump this season and/or next.

Or maybe they're somewhere in-between (like the Oilers) - rebuild with youth, but try your damnedest to make the playoffs. Not sure how that plays out with a possible trade, but at least Comrie's still pretty young...

Bart

Old
10-31-2003, 12:01 PM
Master Lok

Funny enough jofa, I was thinking the exact same thing today. I also noticed that Chicago was lacking in centres and was wondering how good McCarthy is...

Old
10-31-2003, 01:11 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
It would mostly depend on Chicago's 'status' as a team...are they in a pure rebuilding mode? If so, they don't give up their young guys like Calder or Arneson. Are they in 'make the playoffs at all costs' mode? If so, then they might sacrifice one of the youngsters for a guy like Comrie who *might* get them over the hump this season and/or next.

Or maybe they're somewhere in-between (like the Oilers) - rebuild with youth, but try your damnedest to make the playoffs. Not sure how that plays out with a possible trade, but at least Comrie's still pretty young...

Bart
I think they are in total rebuild mode but their has been moderate interest from Chicago about Comrie apparently. I would expect one moderatly size-able trade almost all GM's want to do atleast one trade when they come in to put their fingerprints on the team, plus attendance is dismally low considering the length and history of their franchise I am sure they might like to land a name player( I almost think they only grabbed Theo for publicity).

Old
10-31-2003, 01:20 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
To me from what I've seen/read, it's debateable if he'd be able to knock Bergeron out of the lineup. Steve McCarthy doesn't play a physical game. He isn't good defensively.

Old
10-31-2003, 07:25 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
To me from what I've seen/read, it's debateable if he'd be able to knock Bergeron out of the lineup. Steve McCarthy doesn't play a physical game. He isn't good defensively.
I agree, when he was first drafted he was "the Stud" defender, he hasn't done much since... He hasn't turned out to be the offensive dman he was scouted out as , nor is he very physical. I don't think he'll bring more then any of our top D prospects (Lynch,Svensk, Greene, and K.Smith) can bring.

GXL

Old
10-31-2003, 07:52 PM
Mr Sakich

in a logical world, this premise works. BUT, we are dealing with the NHL and money rules. Dollar Bill Wirtz is sooo tight, he will never pay 4-5 mill for a 23 year old.

Old
10-31-2003, 08:41 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
in a logical world, this premise works. BUT, we are dealing with the NHL and money rules. Dollar Bill Wirtz is sooo tight, he will never pay 4-5 mill for a 23 year old.
Well Wirtz did the 20% discount for the 50% vision D-man, who I'm rooting for to do well, maybe Comrie, mired in his not so Rich Winters of Discontent, can be agent lubricated if Richy Rich, greed agent extraordinaire, will slash his representation commissions in half. :p

Now that folks was my unkindest cut of all; delivered on the eve of All Saints day to boot. All Souls Day follows next and maybe not so poor Mikey will be a lost soul for not too long hense. I like Mike as a player; he's competitive, tough, creative with the puck when he's on, but now is not the time for him to try and hit the contract home run. He suffers more than do the Oilers as his holdout becomes protracted. Timing is everthing, both on and off the ice, and inflated contract demands will only undermine serious trade talks with interested GMs.

Closed Thread