HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

BERGERON in on out vs Detroit

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-31-2003, 11:46 AM
  #1
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
BERGERON in on out vs Detroit

If Cross can play what does MacT do with Bergeron? Bergeron played well at the start but was sat as soon as we faced an "elite" team. I think Detroit is in the same category. MAB played great against the BJs but ...

I will be distressed if MAB sits but I am usually distressed about MacT so why should this be different.

 
Old
10-31-2003, 11:50 AM
  #2
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Well, on the other hand, Cross as the "wily veteran" should generally get the nod over a rookie whom the team wants to bring along 'slowly'. I guess we'll see if MacT rewards MAB for a strong game against Columbus with another start against the Wings. Maybe Fergie sits this one out if Cross can play?

Bart

barto is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 11:50 AM
  #3
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
If Cross can play what does MacT do with Bergeron? Bergeron played well at the start but was sat as soon as we faced an "elite" team. I think Detroit is in the same category. MAB played great against the BJs but ...

I will be distressed if MAB sits but I am usually distressed about MacT so why should this be different.
I would be surprised if he sat out this game after the game he had played against Columbus but they may want more size against Detroit.

My quess would be Bergeron stays in though but like you say MacT tends to surprise.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 12:21 PM
  #4
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
I would be surprised if he sat out this game after the game he had played against Columbus but they may want more size against Detroit..
Detroit is one of the smaller if not smallest teams, size wise, this year. Plus shouldn't the Oilers just field the healthiest lineup which is then the best, at this time of year? As opposed to the playoffs where because it is do or die the best lineup is iced, given no tomorrow and the summer to mend.

OYLer is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 12:39 PM
  #5
Marconius
Registered User
 
Marconius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
If Cross is ready to go, I say sit Ferguson. The recent play of MAB indicates to me that Fergusons time here is limited. The only way MAB is gonna gain some valuable experience & smarts is by playing. Ferguson should only be used as a stopgap if someone goes down to injury or into a really bad slump.
The knock on MAB has always been that he's to small to be a defender. I can't say I've noticed that his defensive play has been noticably worse then any of the other guys. Sure sometimes he coughs up the puck, but so far all the defencemen (Except for maybe Staios) have had their share of mistakes. At least Bergeron is doing something offensively. Give the guy some credit, hes been given limited ice to start the season, but hes definetly made the most of it thus far (3 pts, +4)

Marconius is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 01:01 PM
  #6
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,383
vCash: 500
My heart says Ferguson, but my head says Semenov will sit.

Digger12 is online now  
Old
10-31-2003, 01:16 PM
  #7
Spearing47
Registered User
 
Spearing47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
My heart says Ferguson, but my head says Semenov will sit.

It's confirmed, Bergy is in tomorrow.

But it's not sure for Semenov. It will depend if Cross is able to play.

Spearing47 is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 01:34 PM
  #8
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Shame - I hate to see Semi out of the lineup.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 02:19 PM
  #9
theoil
Registered User
 
theoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,153
vCash: 500
That hit on Nash answered some questions for me about MAB's physical abilities. It wasn't pretty and I'm not sure that it was planned and yet Nash still came out second best. For me that is a better indication of strength than when you get to line a guy up. MAB has not been the problem on the back end so far this year. Where is Brewer's head??

theoil is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 02:27 PM
  #10
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
The knock on MAB has always been that he's to small to be a defender. I can't say I've noticed that his defensive play has been noticably worse then any of the other guys. Sure sometimes he coughs up the puck, but so far all the defencemen (Except for maybe Staios) have had their share of mistakes. At least Bergeron is doing something offensively. Give the guy some credit, hes been given limited ice to start the season, but hes definetly made the most of it thus far (3 pts, +4)
Listening to MacT on the radio last night after the game he said that MAB, even though small, was able to move people in front of the net.

I take this is a positive but remebered last hear hearing himsay how creative Hemsky was on the powerplay and then Hemsky would sit.

In the long run it's best if both MAB and Semi play as much as possible. Ferguson will not beat out Cross, particularly since Cross has demonstarted a willingness to mix it up.

 
Old
10-31-2003, 04:08 PM
  #11
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 7,893
vCash: 500
so far , the only guy who has "earned" a day off is Smith.

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 04:12 PM
  #12
kraigus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
That hit on Nash answered some questions for me about MAB's physical abilities. It wasn't pretty and I'm not sure that it was planned and yet Nash still came out second best. For me that is a better indication of strength than when you get to line a guy up. MAB has not been the problem on the back end so far this year. Where is Brewer's head??
Maybe my memory is faulty, or we're thinking of different plays, but I thought Nash hit MAB and hurt his shoulder? Yes, shows admirable poise and body position that MAB could take a hit from the side and come out on top, and it's an indication of strength, but I don't think playing a guy for his ability to take a hit is necessarily a good reason.

(That being said, he's making it very difficult for MacT to justify sitting him much more. I'm pretty hapy MacT has these problems though! Much better than the mid-90s.)

kraigus is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 04:17 PM
  #13
kraigus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
so far , the only guy who has "earned" a day off is Smith.
You must be seeing something different than I am then - how has Smith been playing badly? Not trying to be confrontational, I'm just curious what you're seeing that's bad.

kraigus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.