HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Scary Garrioch Columns

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2003, 05:14 AM
officeglen

vCash: 500
Scary Garrioch Columns

I got quite a startle Friday night when I opened the front door and there to my scary surprise was a large kid in a Bruce Garrioch costume holding a Glad orange plastic garden bag full of candy. Fortunately we had been to Tim Hortons earlier that afternoon, so I was able to give the kid a six pack of donuts to complete his treasure collection. However now that I remember it, was it really a costume or perhaps Bruce himself playing a trick on me?

Anyway here are this week’s treats from Bruce, or is he tricking us again?

First See: Leafs can't take a dump
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG
John Ferguson Jr. is still trying to put his stamp on the Toronto Maple Leafs. Sources say the Leafs GM has been talking to his NHL counterparts trying to shed salary and pick up a defenceman who will make an impact on the club's struggling blue line.
While indications are Ferguson would like to shake up the inconsistent Leafs, he's hasn't found anybody willing to take the salaries of wingers Owen Nolan ($6 million -- all terms US) or Tie Domi ($2 million) in return.
Not only has Ferguson held talks with Dallas about defenceman Richard Matvichuk, there's also word he made a pitch to Washington for defenceman Sergei Gonchar and contacted Calgary about blueliner Denis Gauthier. …
As for Gonchar, it's a different ball game. An NHL executive told the Sun that Washington GM George McPhee wants a top prospect, a top player and No. 1 pick in return if he's going to make a deal involving Gonchar.
For example -- and no this hasn't been discussed -- if the Leafs wanted to acquire Gonchar it would likely cost them captain Mats Sundin, a top young prospect and a No. 1 pick. The chances of that happening? Zero.
Make no mistake, Ferguson Jr. wants to make changes. He's held talks with just about every team in the league because he knows the Leafs defence isn't mobile enough or strong enough to protect goaltender Ed Belfour.
But right now, nobody is answering Toronto's SOS.
A top prospect, a top player, and a #1 pick for Gonchar? Look’s like Gonchar will not be gone anywhere soon. I think this is just Bruce's way of killing off the Gonchar talk he started last week, now that McPhee states he will not be going anywhere. The whole premise of this column seems silly - Toronto salary dumping? With a full arena and Leafs revenue raking schemes like Leafs TV, the team instead needs to ensure they are in most games and make the playoffs at least. However it is no surprise that Bruce’s last week Guerin deal didn’t happen, if the Leafs are offering Nolan and Domi in return, and especially after Guerin gets the hat trick and a punch to Gauthier mid-section (or there about) against the Flames.

Next See: Martin, Hartley a bad mix for Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG
While Wild RW Marian Gaborik has settled his contract dispute, he could face a legal battle with ex-agents Allan Walsh and David Schatia. Gaborik fired the partners in favour of Los Angeles agent Ron Salcer to get his $9.45-million (all terms US) deal done, but the word is Gaborik will likely end up having to pay a fee to Walsh and Schatia as well. There's talk Gaborik basically agreed to the deal Walsh and Schatia negotiated.
I’m sure everybody feels sad for Walsh and Schatia, not because they got stiffed on this one, but because it’s hard to be agents when so retarded. Gaborik wanted to play this year, the Wild needed him, and instead of connecting the dots they allowed the situation to deteriorate into a battle of words. The same thing was happening with Havlat, but Havlat personally intervened, dumped Walsh, and got Schatia to take the best deal available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG
Since taking over the Blackhawks, Pulford has been busy trying to improve the club. He wouldn't mind moving some of the club's Europeans, which means D Alexander Karpovtsev, LW Ville Nieminen and C Alexei Zhamnov could be available. It's believed the Ducks are interested in LW Kyle Calder. Coach Brian Sutter would like to add more grit and character and there's talk Chicago has an interest in Ottawa D Curtis Leschyshyn.
Only the Ducks for Calder, or is this just the start of the line-up of interest? It’s hard to believe Pulford could be interested in Leschyshyn, since Ottawa will not be giving him away – I think Bruce just added this for some local colour – however if the Sens keep playing like trashed pumpkins, Bruce will have some real food to digest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG
The Caps have had plenty of trade talks, but nobody is sure if GM George McPhee is going to pull the trigger on a deal or if he's going to get the chance to make a trade. While there's plenty of talk McPhee is going to walk the plank, he's trying to deal C Robert Lang, RW Peter Bondra and RW Jaromir Jagr. There's talk the Wings have an interest in Lang or Bondra at the right price. The Avs also called about G Olaf Kolzig, but Colorado GM Pierre Lacroix was told the asking price is high.
Complete re-hash of previous trade talk and clear column filler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG
The Penguins are shopping C Milan Kraft.
Actually Bruce meant to put Kraft dinner on his daily grocery shopping list, but this slipped out instead. Why is Kraft not dressing much this year anyways?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG
The Thrashers are stepping up their efforts to get free-agent and disgruntled C Mike Comrie from the Oilers. The word is Oilers VP Kevin Prendergast was in Portland last week to watch Atlanta prospect D Braydon Coburn. The Thrashers' No. 1 pick last year could be packaged with C Patrik Stefan to get Comrie to Atlanta. The Kings have also made a pitch for Comrie, but they were told by Edmonton GM Kevin Lowe the club would rather not trade him to a Western Conference team.
More rehash. Coburn was the Thrashers’s first pick (#8 overall) this year, not last year, and Bruce did not mean Lehtonen and Stefan for Comrie, just Coburn and Stefan for Comrie. The world’s longest Comrie thread (see sticky threads at the top of this forum) deals with all these proposals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG
The Flames called the Isles to express an interest in C Dave Scatchard and D Eric Cairns.
The Flames have an interested in Cairns? Scatchy, now that’s easy to see, but what would the Islanders want back? And if the Islanders want to move some salary, as does everybody it seems, then Scatchy and Cairns will not be the players voted off the Island by the owner.

Have a nice trick free and treat full Sunday.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:34 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

The Ducks could offer a defenseman to either Toronto or Chicago (Simpson, Ward or maybe Vishnevski). That Kyle Calder rumor is interesting indeed, but then again...the source....

Old
11-02-2003, 05:42 AM
CREW99AW

If the isles dumped salary it'd be a higher priced player then Dave Scatchard($1.5m).

Coming into the season the Isles biggest needs were a crease clearing d-man and elite winger to play on Yashin's wing.

They still need a d-man,but have probably backed off on pushing for the winger.Kvasha's playing as well as he ever has and Chow's got 8 goals already on Yashin's line.

While getting Guathier would be nice,he's not worth losing Scatchard and I think the isles would pass on any Guathier+ for Scatchard trade.

Old
11-02-2003, 07:20 AM
Steve L*

I like this one "For example -- and no this hasn't been discussed -- if the Leafs wanted to acquire Gonchar it would likely cost them captain Mats Sundin, a top young prospect and a No. 1 pick. The chances of that happening? Zero."

Why would the Caps want Sundin if they are trading Gonchar to dump salary?

Old
11-02-2003, 08:17 AM
btmarshall

vCash:
Well there's no way McPhee would ever ask for Sundin. The salary is absurd and out of Washington's budget.

I do believe the price he cited was likely Kaberle.

Old
11-02-2003, 08:40 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
If the isles dumped salary it'd be a higher priced player then Dave Scatchard($1.5m).

Coming into the season the Isles biggest needs were a crease clearing d-man and elite winger to play on Yashin's wing.

They still need a d-man,but have probably backed off on pushing for the winger.Kvasha's playing as well as he ever has and Chow's got 8 goals already on Yashin's line.

While getting Guathier would be nice,he's not worth losing Scatchard and I think the isles would pass on any Guathier+ for Scatchard trade.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Flames had asked about both Cairns and Scatch. Scatch, for obvious reasons. Cairns because he wouldn't cost much and would give them a bit of depth for other deals.

Not saying I think there is any chance of something happening, but it does make sense that there were at least conversations.

11-02-2003, 08:44 AM
tom_servo

Garrioch is, believe it or not, an idiot.

The cost-trimming Caps would trade one of their two NHL-caliber defensemen, a bargain at $3.6 million, for another forward at $9 million?

That makes sense on zero levels.

Old
11-02-2003, 11:52 AM
Peter

vCash: 50
1) Scratchard and Cairns to Calgary rumor.
- you know, I can actually see this happening
- both are Sutter type players and would definetly fill out the forward
lines in Cowtown
- the cost may be Gauthier and perhaps, by the Flames tossing in a
draft pick or player they could nab Parrish as well

2) Bonk and Coburn for Comrie rumor.
- again, not unrealistic
- money wise and talent wise this is a pretty even deal

3) Milan Kraft to be traded rumor.
- Detroit may be interested at a low price

Old
11-02-2003, 12:29 PM
Egil

Bonk for Comrie? Where is that from? I think Ottawa is quite a bit better off with Bonk than Comrie, so I fail to see how that deal would be made...

Old
11-02-2003, 12:36 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
lines in Cowtown

Scatchard's also a nyi type player.
Boston press says that Scatchard was the deal breaker for the nyi when they tried to aquire Jason Allison a few yrs ago.

Isles have rebuffed inquires from several teams asking for Scatchard.

We've debated on this bopard before about whether the nyi overrate him or not,but they like him a great deal and his $1.5m is very affordable.

I don't see the isles interested in moving Scatchard for Guathier+a spare part.

Old
11-02-2003, 12:38 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
Bonk for Comrie? Where is that from? I think Ottawa is quite a bit better off with Bonk than Comrie, so I fail to see how that deal would be made...
Since Bonk is a Senator and Coburn is a Thrasher property, and since Comrie for Coburn and Stefan has been circulating around, I'm going to guess that he meant Stefan, not Bonk.

Old
11-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
lines in Cowtown

So, you really believe that the Flames could "nab" Cairns, Scatch, and Parrish for Gauthier and a pick, eh?

How would you feel about Cooke and Morrison for Gauithier and a pick?

Similar deal. Morrison is worth more than Parrish, but Scatch and Cairns are worth a lot more than Cooke.

And, btw Peter, Cairns is a dman, not a forward. You can think of him as sort of a Jason Strudwick type (gritty, but too lacking in mobility to be very effective).

P.S. Good to see you posting here again. It has been a little while since we had a visit from one of my favorite Nuck fans.

Old
11-02-2003, 01:00 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Stefan and Coburn for Comrie would be terrible for Atlanta. Comrie is *not* worth moving future franchise players for, and frankly, Atlanta needs Coburn more than they need Comrie. Stefan and Exelby for Comrie? That could work.

Old
11-02-2003, 01:11 PM
Ghost of Dale Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmarshall
Well there's no way McPhee would ever ask for Sundin. The salary is absurd and out of Washington's budget.
Not if Jagr and Gonchar go bye-bye

Old
11-02-2003, 05:49 PM
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Since Bonk is a Senator and Coburn is a Thrasher property, and since Comrie for Coburn and Stefan has been circulating around, I'm going to guess that he meant Stefan, not Bonk.
D'OH! Double D"OH!!! My complete and utter BAD. I definetly meant Stefan...not Bonk. My sincerest apologies. No way Comire for Bonk is even or even do-able. I tried to cut and paste from the original post but for some reason couldn't so I was going from memory and, don't ask me why, I always get Bonk and Stefan screwed up in my head. Laugh.

I meant to say a Coburn and Stefan for Comrie deal would make sense.
Sorry again.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
So, you really believe that the Flames could "nab" Cairns, Scatch, and Parrish for Gauthier and a pick, eh?

How would you feel about Cooke and Morrison for Gauithier and a pick?

Similar deal. Morrison is worth more than Parrish, but Scatch and Cairns are worth a lot more than Cooke.

And, btw Peter, Cairns is a dman, not a forward. You can think of him as sort of a Jason Strudwick type (gritty, but too lacking in mobility to be very effective).

P.S. Good to see you posting here again. It has been a little while since we had a visit from one of my favorite Nuck fans.
Hi Darth. I know Cairns is a d-man. Didn't mean to imply he was a foward but you are right, it sure could have read that way.

But yes, I do think that Parrish, Scatch and Cairns could be had by Calgary. None of those three are serious components of the Islanders and all have trade value. To boot, they would improve a few teams Calgary included.

On the flip side, Gauthier is a valued commodity around the league. He is worth Parrish straight up, IMO, or a package of Carins and Scatch (with a 4th or 5th pick tossed in from Calgary).

To get all three would take at least two quality players from the Flames: Gauthier being one. I am not sure who else could be going the other way.

And your Canuck/Islander analogy doesn't completely work for me I am afraid. I do agree that Cooke and Scatch are very similar but Morrison and Parrish??? Me don't think so. Even with Cairns tossed in those three do not equate to more value than Cooke and Morrison. Sorry.

That said, I would trade Parrish for Cooke and a pick (4th?). I might be even be willing to trade Morrison for Parrish and a pick (2nd?) or a prospect. Not sure my Canuck brethren would agree but I think Parrish could help us out on the second line.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Michalek

Quote:
D'OH! Double D"OH!!! My complete and utter BAD. I definetly meant Stefan...not Bonk. My sincerest apologies. No way Comire for Bonk is even or even do-able. I tried to cut and paste from the original post but for some reason couldn't so I was going from memory and, don't ask me why, I always get Bonk and Stefan screwed up in my head. Laugh.

I meant to say a Coburn and Stefan for Comrie deal would make sense.
Sorry again.

It think that Comrie is worth way less then this package....
If it would be on the table Lowe would take it and run

Old
11-02-2003, 06:27 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalek
It think that Comrie is worth way less then this package....
If it would be on the table Lowe would take it and run
Agreed. Comrie is NOT worth a low 1st round pick and a 2nd line center who could still have 1st line upside.

Old
11-02-2003, 07:38 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
To Edm: Eric Belanger, Maxim Kuznetzov and Michael Cammaleri.

To L.A.: Mike Comrie, 2nd rounder.

Old
11-03-2003, 09:59 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Goodluck moving Owen Nolan, his contract is as bad as Holik's. Atleast Holik is a premier defensive center. Nolan is totally washed up, and has a 40 goal contract based on his one 40 goal season during his contract year.

If the Leafs move Nolan, they will have to eat atleast half the remaining contract.

McCauley, Bernier and Boyes for Nolan, what a great deal by the Sharks.

Old
11-03-2003, 10:17 AM
kidchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
Garrioch is, believe it or not, an idiot.

The cost-trimming Caps would trade one of their two NHL-caliber defensemen, a bargain at $3.6 million, for another forward at $9 million?

That makes sense on zero levels.
Garrioch an idiot???? wow...that's an understatement. If he was G.M. the Sens would have gotten Nieuwendyk for Alfie from Dallas and Phillips and Hnidy would be gone. Todd White would have been shipped to the Western conference, Igor Kravchuk would still be in Ottawa and Yashin would've fetched Malhotra, Lundmark and cash instead of Spezza and Chara. Thank God he is just a washed up rumor monger who can compare to Morganti and Steve Simmons. At least we can still read Chris Stevenson....he is more informative and doesn't look like he hangs out at the media food table begging for everyones dessert.

Old
11-03-2003, 04:18 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
From reading some of his previous articles--I think he is out of the loop from real NHL types--so I think he gets it from around the local bars
or from reading other people columns and reprintingf the ideas a few days later

Closed Thread