HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Is the Press sending a message?

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2003, 11:55 AM
avfan#21

vCash: 500
Is the Press sending a message?

Here's the quote from the DPO on this weekends back to back games

"Granato said David Aebischer definitely would get the start Saturday against the Devils, and then a decision would be made whether to go with Aebischer or backup Phil Sauve against the Rangers."

Now this is the second time Tony has said a decision would be made before the second of back to back games. Did Granato really say that? Or is the press lighting a fire on the Avs backup situation w/Suave? I don't recall Granato ever saying that about Abby when we had back to back games last year. Either the press doesn't have confidence in Phil or Tony doesn't. What do you think?

Old
10-31-2003, 12:01 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Probably both. Sauve hasn't given anyone reason to show confidence in him. He just isn't a guy who can be relied on right now.

Old
10-31-2003, 01:07 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LS9
Probably both. Sauve hasn't given anyone reason to show confidence in him. He just isn't a guy who can be relied on right now.
He should still be given a chance. He's only played two games in the NHL, give him a break. I don't know what the hell Tony is trying to do. The first time he said it, I thought maybe it was taken out of context, or maybe it sounded worse in print than it really did. But now he says it again? I don't see that as a good way to motivate a young goalie, it seems more like a good way to ruin his confidence.

Old
10-31-2003, 01:30 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118
He should still be given a chance. He's only played two games in the NHL, give him a break. I don't know what the hell Tony is trying to do. The first time he said it, I thought maybe it was taken out of context, or maybe it sounded worse in print than it really did. But now he says it again? I don't see that as a good way to motivate a young goalie, it seems more like a good way to ruin his confidence.
I agree. Kids got enough pressure as it is.

Also, it might be Tony shouting out to PL, "Get us a new backup. This kid isn't ready yet". I may be way offbase, but it wouldn't surprised me is Granato is using a little media to help get the message out.

Old
10-31-2003, 02:02 PM
avfan#21

Which sorta leads me to my amazement here, as many have pointed out numerous times, guys in Tony's doghouse don't last long. Not saying Sauve is there yet. But you can't help but wonder, after Tony saying this twice in the press on successive back to back games, if his confidence in Sauve is waning. I'm trying not to read too much into it, but you have to admit, it is odd for a coach to say such a thing.

Old
10-31-2003, 03:21 PM
Tico

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfan#21
Which sorta leads me to my amazement here, as many have pointed out numerous times, guys in Tony's doghouse don't last long. Not saying Sauve is there yet. But you can't help but wonder, after Tony saying this twice in the press on successive back to back games, if his confidence in Sauve is waning. I'm trying not to read too much into it, but you have to admit, it is odd for a coach to say such a thing.
Agreed. There hasn't been a player yet that I can think of that made it out of Tony's doghouse alive - but I think Sauve's different. He's a rookie, but more importantly he's PL's rookie (via relationship with Bob Sauve, etc.) so may get more rope before he's completely hung out to dry.

His performances have been miserable and ok (in that order) so maybe he's due to move up the scale to good?

I think the Avs will wait until 35+ games into the season to see what they have with Sauve, then make a trade based on what he's done.

Old
11-01-2003, 03:28 AM
messy_eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico

I think the Avs will wait until 35+ games into the season to see what they have with Sauve, then make a trade based on what he's done.

As an outsider why wouldn't they wait. Right now there are at least 4 starting goalies available to them, and you can probably add another 4 more early in the new year. Abby is more than competent enough to win regular season games, I don't even think any av's fans will question that. where the concern rises is come playoff time can abby handle the load. They will give him half the season to get an accurate evaluation and then decide if they are trading for a starter, or a good back up.

and as long as there are all these goalies available they can let thousands of dollars tick of thier contracts every day. Why pay Cujo 7 mil for the rest of this season when they can pay him 3 at the all star break. The goalies available now are obviusly Cujo, Kolzig, Burke and Dafoe the 4 who might be available later depending on the playoffs race are Biron, Salo, khabibulin, and Nabakov. and there are probaly more than a handful of competent back ups that could be had. especially if the rumors are true and Tanguay is the trade bait. Interestingly I think the avs should see what Hurme would cost them a competent backup that would give them a decent goalie to send back if they decide to trade for a starter later on. The avs can afford to wait. Tanguay should be able to bring back any 1 of those 8 guys. The only time the avs might need to rush a decission is if a goalie goes down with a major injury on some other team or even worse thier own.

but since I am visiting your site, i may as well throw out a stupid proposal

wash - Tanguay, Skoula
Col - Kolzig, Witt

take care....

Old
11-01-2003, 04:30 AM
Inscottnito

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LS9
I agree. Kids got enough pressure as it is.

Also, it might be Tony shouting out to PL, "Get us a new backup. This kid isn't ready yet". I may be way offbase, but it wouldn't surprised me is Granato is using a little media to help get the message out.
I understand your point but I seriously doubt that Tony needs to "shout out" anything. I think Tony walks like a man into Pierre's office and tells him point blank what his feelings are.I think Pierre listens carefully, considers his options and makes the call.

These two seem to be on the same page.

As for Suave, lets let him get six or seven starts on a regular rotation and then make the call.The kid hasn't even had time to finish his sandwich yet.

Closed Thread