HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

GDT: Flyers @ Sabres, Game I, 04/22, 7:00PM

Old
04-22-2006, 10:33 PM
capn89*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers4ever
I don't care what they say about that hit on Umberger.. Clean, legal, whatever.. That to me looked exactly like the hit that Lindros took from Stevenson.. i didn't like it and I think a hit like that needs to be penalized... And by the way, I don't like Lindros but that hit he took, to me, was dirty...
The guy wasn't ridiculously off the ice, but he was off the ice. My two biggest problems with the hit were:

Is there really a need to try and KILL someone? I don't mind big hits. Big hits are great, but when you try to kill a guy, it's across a line.

and

The fans in Buffalo are wastes of life. Showing the hit 4 or 5 times on the big screen and cheering a guy getting knocked out? Cheer a guy getting hit, fine, but not when he's injured. That's tasteless... but then again, they are from Buffalo, so I guess that explains it.

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 10:34 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjdv
Hey, I agree with just about everybody else here on how bad those two have been all year but I thought Hatcher played pretty well tonight. It took a while but as the game got nastier so did Hatcher...finally.

I agree, and Rathje should not even be dressed, so I give him Props ! That injury he has is painful and a bad one to be playing through

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 10:34 PM
DeleteThisAccount

Bottom line: you MUST win this game for Robert. They didn't, oh well. Now it's time to win game two.

Umberger's walking around and stuff in the locker room, Hitch says he's fine. The kid has GOT to have a concussion, but it looks like it's not too bad. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays Monday now, though I wouldn't have said the same thing two minutes after the hit.

Gotta start better for game two. No more passengers.

DeleteThisAccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
On Comcast Sportsnet they just showed a clip of Umberger smiling and laughing and walking around, putting on his socks....WOW

The Unbreakable RJ Umberger.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 10:35 PM
TheKingPin

just showed Umberger on post game live and was walking around talking to people smiling he looked great. like he just got the ot winner. i guess he is back for the next game.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Flyers4ever

Oh my goodness, I was so stinking mad after that hit, everyone in there was still cheering when he was flat on his back!

Like you said, big hits are great, but that was a deliberate attempt to hurt someone bad.. uncalled for and should be ousted for at least a few games..

Flyers4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 10:36 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost
On Comcast Sportsnet they just showed a clip of Umberger smiling and laughing and walking around, putting on his socks....WOW

The Unbreakable RJ Umberger.
Umberger will score two next game

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

If RJ plays, I'm going down to Buffalo to inspect his balls. What a pair that guy must have. He gets up and keeps playing after some stitches after the Hollweg hit, and now he's fine and ready to go after that one? Holy ****.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
The way he looks after he got hit is the way someone who just got the wind knocked out of him reacts. His head doesn't snap back like Big Es did, and his bodies reaction was crumpling unlike Kariya who got buried.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 10:38 PM
TheKingPin

ket to the next game is to slow down the game too manyoppourtunities and we all saw what a the chances are getting when we forchecked properly they couldnt handle it

Old
04-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
[IMAGE]http://www.boxoffice.com/jpg/nov00/tji/unbreakable.jpg[/IMAGE]
RJ Umberger.

[IMAGE]http://movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/touchstone_pictures/unbreakable/samuel_l__jackson/unbreakable.jpg[/IMAGE]
Donald Brashear

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 10:40 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan
just showed Umberger on post game live and was walking around talking to people smiling he looked great. like he just got the ot winner. i guess he is back for the next game.
Maybe he actually thinks he did score the OT winner, I still can't beleive he's OK

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost
[IMAGE]http://www.boxoffice.com/jpg/nov00/tji/unbreakable.jpg[/IMAGE]
RJ Umberger.

[IMAGE]http://movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/touchstone_pictures/unbreakable/samuel_l__jackson/unbreakable.jpg[/IMAGE]
Peter Forsberg dipped in Chocolate Pudding.
Fixed.

Old
04-22-2006, 10:41 PM
utah

Sens fan here.

I watched the game, and it was a good one. I thought the Flyers might take it in OT after they tied it up late.

Mostly I popped into the forum to see how Umberger was doing. I'm glad to hear that he seems to have recovered ok.

I didn't see anything wrong with the hit. It was clean, and the kid had his head down. However, lt was a bit sickening to see him in distress when he was laying on the ice, so It's great news that he is doing ok.

I think that it was poor-taste to show the replay on the big screen. So, hockey being hockey...I think the Flyers should get payback the old fashioned way. With a crushing legal body check on an opponent.

Anyways....good game.

utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 10:43 PM
TheKingPin

look at it this way we still have to lose three more games to be eliminated...that seems to make me feel better.

Old
04-22-2006, 10:44 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

When I first saw the Umberger hit, and saw him on the ice, my first reaction was that he totally had the wind knocked out of him

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Superman33

Send a message via AIM to Superman33
Even though RJ is good now I would wait until the morning. If he can play it will be amazing. It looked as though he fell asleep while being helped by mcrossin on the ice.

Great game, very disapointing, but great non the less. I have no doubt the flyers will take this series now. The refs will not blow the game that bad again and I am sure JC will step it up since his best friend got KO'ed.

Superman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 10:47 PM
GameFace247SON
@NHLonICE

Send a message via AIM to GameFace247SON
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
...I'm going down to Buffalo to inspect his balls.
who are you? vito spatafore?

Last edited by GameFace247SON: 04-22-2006 at 10:47 PM. Reason: i suck
GameFace247SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 10:48 PM
chthonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
When I first saw the Umberger hit, and saw him on the ice, my first reaction was that he totally had the wind knocked out of him
no waaaaaay. his head got ROCKED. totally crushing impact on his head. and he was completely dazed and not coherent at all. this was not getting the wind knocked out of him.

chthonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 10:50 PM
Flyers4ever

Head down or not, I think there needs to be some sort of penalty for an intent to injure a player.. There is no way going into that hit, Cambell didnt know he was going to hurt the guy.. You got a shoulder to the face and Umberger was barely skating while Cambell was flying.. I know in the nhl that is a clean hit but I am just saying that it shouldnt be.. That could be career ending and I guess it's the woman in me that thinks that is uncalled for..

Old
04-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Fifteen pages typed tonight can be erased with a win Monday. A one and one split is still entirely possible. It's also the only other thing I have to look forward to since Umberger appears to be okay.

Old
04-22-2006, 10:55 PM
chthonic

flyers will split in buffalo. i dont usually guarantee anything, but this i guarantee. the winner of the series is something entirely different.

chthonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Flyers4ever

Oh absolutely... I don't think the hit on Umberger is the reason we lost the game.. That game was great.. We can still win this.. It is only game 1.. Esche proved himself tonight, that is for sure.. Maybe he is just a better playoff goalie than regular season.. Maybe he just saves it all for the playoffs.. lol.. keep it up Esche!!

Old
04-22-2006, 11:01 PM
dok101

Hey guys, Isles fan here. Just wanted to say that I hope RJ isn't seriously hurt. If it's a concussion hope that there aren't any lingering effects. He stood out every game against us this year and has become a great asset for you guys. Good luck the rest of the way.

dok101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2006, 11:17 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
How was Foppa today?

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote