HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Game 1 thoughts

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-21-2006, 10:13 PM
  #1
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Game 1 thoughts

Maltby scorers the equalizer and winner, wings win 3-2 for a 1-0 series lead

* I don't think Maltby had a so-so shift out there tonight. He was buzzing all night long, banging, instigating, driving to the goal, killing penalties. His best game of the season,. Easily.
Wow.
Totally unexpected after the tough season he's had.
Linemates Dan Cleary and Johan Franzem played well, too. Best line on either team tonight.

* That second period was brutal. The Wings looked like they did against the Ducks/Flames. Brian Roloson made 50 saves or something. But really, how many of them were real tough saves. Hard to believe the Wings got 50 shots through, with all the blocked shots all night.

* Give Legacy credit. I was starting to wonder if he was going to make it though the night after the second goal. Huge breakaway save on Horcoff. Huge stop on another dude in the final minutes of the third. Both goalies showed that they might not be the weak links on their team.

* The Wings played better 5-on-5 than I thought. Edmonton really didn't mount much of an attack tonight, outside of the second period.
However, their speed is dangerous. The Wings defense lost a ton of foot races tonight.

* Matt Schneider and Andreas Lilja were brutal tonight. Both made a few good plays. But Schneider took a couple dumb penalties and was getting beat all night. Lilja needs to learn to clear Smyth out of the crease., Or at least get behind him so that Legace doesn't have TWO big bodies right in front of him.

* The line of Yzerman/Lang/Williams created a few good chances tonight. But they also had a couple bad shifts in their end.

* Homer/Zetterberg/Samuelsson ... Not much tonight, except for a few individual efforts by Z.

* Datsyuk needs to return, ASAP.

* Mark Mowers was useful as a fill-in in the regular season. But he can't take a regular shift in the playoffs. He's too weak on the boards and all of his passes seem too slow or to weak.

* Both teams spent an awful lot of time trapping tonight, making for some messy hockey. If these teams open up, we could have a good old shoot out.

* Officiating was inconsistent tonight. And, of course, they put away their whistles in OT.
I thought a few Edmonton penalties were very weak. Not sure how Lilja gets called for that hooking call. Stick never even touched him. I guess you can't even put your stick near a guy anymore. The call on Shanahan with two minutes left was weak in a 2-2 game late in the third. Then they missed slashes that broke sticks, and knocked sticks out of guys hands. Trips in front of the net on one-timers. Somebody body checked Laraque into the boards when he was nowhere near the puck

* Can you believe Babcock had Kronwall and Lebda --- two rookies --- playing together in OT??? Both guys played very well tonight.

* Without Datsyuk, we really don't look that good offensively. All those shots aside, we weren't very good at moving the puck around tonight.

* If Datsyuk can't play, call up Kopecky or Filppula. Sit Mowers

* So, the $24,000 question. Does this double OT game deflate the Oilers? Does it give them confidence? Does it wear out the old red wings defense?

A Good Flying Bird* is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 10:18 PM
  #2
kira
Registered User
 
kira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: www.datsyuk13.com
Country: Ireland
Posts: 15,694
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I was very impressed by Johan Franzen...he had a couple of really solid hits in the OT. He's always impressed me from the moment I saw him at camp last fall, and tonight he played a lot better than a playoff rookie would usually play.

Great to see Malts ratchet up his game! And you know who else had a monster game? Chris Chelios. It seemed like he was everywhere. If he could keep up this level all through the playoffs, I wouldn't be ashamed to give him Conn Smythe consideration.

Can't wait til Sunday and Pasha's return. He can't come back soon enough!

Excuse me while I sip on a celebratory beer.

kira is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 10:19 PM
  #3
Boomhower
Registered User
 
Boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Loved that 4th line, Cleary really took ownership of the puck in this game. Maltby shows up when it counts and Franzen always seemed like a guy with a game tailor made for the playoffs, so it's not surprising he was a force tonight.

Lang, Yzerman and Williams are going to be the key line, I thought they played well.

The only guy I'd really single out as having a bad game tonight is Lilja, he was scaring me and seemed to be playing way to passive.

Filppula is already up.... insert him i guess is what you mean.

Boomhower is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 10:23 PM
  #4
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
* So, the $24,000 question. Does this double OT game deflate the Oilers? Does it give them confidence? Does it wear out the old red wings defense?
1. Yes, they came close with an INSANE performance by Roloson. Easy/bad angle ones or not, getting up and down for 80+ shots (he has to react to blocked ones as well) is hard as hell, and as you see still not enough. Roloson is going to be gassed if he has anymore nights like this, especially since he only had one game off (if that?) since he was traded.

2. It really depends on how they feel they played. If they think they (the skaters) gave it their all and still couldn't do it might be enough for them to fall apart. OR it could loosen them up so they don't press as much. Hard to read what is going through their minds when you're not there.

3. I don't worry about the Wings getting tired. We seemed far fresher than the young speedy Oilers.

norrisnick is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 10:24 PM
  #5
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower
Loved that 4th line, Cleary really took ownership of the puck in this game. Maltby shows up when it counts and Franzen always seemed like a guy with a game tailor made for the playoffs, so it's not surprising he was a force tonight.

Lang, Yzerman and Williams are going to be the key line, I thought they played well.

The only guy I'd really single out as having a bad game tonight is Lilja, he was scaring me and seemed to be playing way to passive.

Filppula is already up.... insert him i guess is what you mean.
Valtteri just assisted on Hudler's TRIPLE OT winner in GR. He's not up.

norrisnick is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 10:25 PM
  #6
8snake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
Maltby scorers the equalizer and winner, wings win 3-2 for a 1-0 series lead

* I don't think Maltby had a so-so shift out there tonight. He was buzzing all night long, banging, instigating, driving to the goal, killing penalties. His best game of the season,. Easily.
Wow.
Totally unexpected after the tough season he's had.
Linemates Dan Cleary and Johan Franzem played well, too. Best line on either team tonight.

* That second period was brutal. The Wings looked like they did against the Ducks/Flames. Brian Roloson made 50 saves or something. But really, how many of them were real tough saves. Hard to believe the Wings got 50 shots through, with all the blocked shots all night.

* Give Legacy credit. I was starting to wonder if he was going to make it though the night after the second goal. Huge breakaway save on Horcoff. Huge stop on another dude in the final minutes of the third. Both goalies showed that they might not be the weak links on their team.

* The Wings played better 5-on-5 than I thought. Edmonton really didn't mount much of an attack tonight, outside of the second period.
However, their speed is dangerous. The Wings defense lost a ton of foot races tonight.

* Matt Schneider and Andreas Lilja were brutal tonight. Both made a few good plays. But Schneider took a couple dumb penalties and was getting beat all night. Lilja needs to learn to clear Smyth out of the crease., Or at least get behind him so that Legace doesn't have TWO big bodies right in front of him.

* The line of Yzerman/Lang/Williams created a few good chances tonight. But they also had a couple bad shifts in their end.

* Homer/Zetterberg/Samuelsson ... Not much tonight, except for a few individual efforts by Z.

* Datsyuk needs to return, ASAP.

* Mark Mowers was useful as a fill-in in the regular season. But he can't take a regular shift in the playoffs. He's too weak on the boards and all of his passes seem too slow or to weak.

* Both teams spent an awful lot of time trapping tonight, making for some messy hockey. If these teams open up, we could have a good old shoot out.

* Officiating was inconsistent tonight. And, of course, they put away their whistles in OT.
I thought a few Edmonton penalties were very weak. Not sure how Lilja gets called for that hooking call. Stick never even touched him. I guess you can't even put your stick near a guy anymore. The call on Shanahan with two minutes left was weak in a 2-2 game late in the third. Then they missed slashes that broke sticks, and knocked sticks out of guys hands. Trips in front of the net on one-timers. Somebody body checked Laraque into the boards when he was nowhere near the puck

* Can you believe Babcock had Kronwall and Lebda --- two rookies --- playing together in OT??? Both guys played very well tonight.

* Without Datsyuk, we really don't look that good offensively. All those shots aside, we weren't very good at moving the puck around tonight.

* If Datsyuk can't play, call up Kopecky or Filppula. Sit Mowers

* So, the $24,000 question. Does this double OT game deflate the Oilers? Does it give them confidence? Does it wear out the old red wings defense?
I dont necessarily think Schneider and Lilja were brutal....brutal is Krupp against Vancouver. Lilja was poor on that PK effort against Smyth, but overall he was alright. And the times Detroit D-men lost foot races they were very strong positionally and along the boards. Shanny has to get his hands a little dirtier though...too passive tonite. If I'm Babcock I'm telling Samuelsson if you dont use you speed and size and drive to the net you dont play. Zetterberg has to be better, even with Datsyuk coming back. Hank showed flashes, but he's too important to just show "flashes". Both Schneider and Williams HAVE to be better on the point during the PP. Williams played well, but on the PP he was atrocious. Detroit played O.K and won, so I'm happy....but they collectively have to raise their game.

8snake is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 10:28 PM
  #7
Yeti
HFBoards Partner
 
Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,290
vCash: 500
Stevie looked great tonight, imo. Looked like he had fresh legs out there...and set up some very good scoring chances. Looked like the Stevie of old.

Yeti is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 10:34 PM
  #8
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
Valtteri just assisted on Hudler's TRIPLE OT winner in GR. He's not up.
That's odd. He was reported as being up. Guess they sent him back today.

I agree with what everyone has said. My guess is that Edmonton is going to come out harder than ever in game 2 knowing that if they lose again they're about done. It was a crushing loss for them because even though we came from behind late to draw even, we really dominated the play... and things aren't going to get better for them when Pavel returns .

doublejack is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 10:44 PM
  #9
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedYeti
Stevie looked great tonight, imo. Looked like he had fresh legs out there...and set up some very good scoring chances. Looked like the Stevie of old.

He showed suprising ability to fight through checks on a lot of his shifts.
But he also had a couple tough shifts out there too.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 10:47 PM
  #10
CronoX
Registered User
 
CronoX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hockeytown, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 834
vCash: 500
I think you forgot to mention Babcock's secret weapon: Rem Murray. Everyone thought the Wings cut him in training camp when in fact he was sent to Edmonton to infiltrate their ranks. His ultimate goal was to help the Wings beat Edmonton, which he did when he redirected Maltby's winning goal.

CronoX is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 10:48 PM
  #11
octopi
Registered User
 
octopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,713
vCash: 703
Agree on the quality of shots. Outshooting the Oilers by a 2-1 margin looks good on paper but a good amount of those looked to be periphery shots.

octopi is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 10:49 PM
  #12
1datsyuk3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Guinea-Bissau
Posts: 1,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
Valtteri just assisted on Hudler's TRIPLE OT winner in GR. He's not up.


double


1datsyuk3* is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 10:53 PM
  #13
Heaton
Moderator
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,929
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
That's odd. He was reported as being up. Guess they sent him back today.
He was never offically called up.

As for the game? We gotta play better than that, was a great game to watch especially with the result. With Datsyuk back on Sunday I think we'll be able to get a lot better chances.

Heaton is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 10:54 PM
  #14
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,729
vCash: 500
The double OT may have hurt your team because they are older, but our goalie isn't exactly a spring chicken, so if we try and rely on him all series long like we did tonight it could be lights out and in a hurry for the Oil.

Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 11:01 PM
  #15
Jim Boeheim
Registered User
 
Jim Boeheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 4,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
I was very impressed by Johan Franzen...he had a couple of really solid hits in the OT. He's always impressed me from the moment I saw him at camp last fall, and tonight he played a lot better than a playoff rookie would usually play.
Same here!

Detroit took away the Oil's greatest strength; faceoffs.

Zetterberg was outstanding wining faceoffs taking 56%.
Steve won 13 total faceoffs.

Wings - 43
Oil - 33

Jim Boeheim is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 11:07 PM
  #16
8snake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi
Agree on the quality of shots. Outshooting the Oilers by a 2-1 margin looks good on paper but a good amount of those looked to be periphery shots.
Yup, most of the shots in the second and third were of the harmless variety. But in the first and in both O.T's Detroit had great chances. I think a lot of that stemmed from their forecheck, which as we all know can be like pulling teeth for Detroit. It was the reason the Franzen line was so dynamite tonight.

8snake is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 11:24 PM
  #17
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil
The double OT may have hurt your team because they are older, but our goalie isn't exactly a spring chicken, so if we try and rely on him all series long like we did tonight it could be lights out and in a hurry for the Oil.
I'm not worried about the Wings' legs one bit. They looked far fresher than the Oilers late in this one. They Oil have to work way too damn hard to keep up with the Wings' style of play and they'll burn out quicker. MacT also doesn't seem to trust his 4th line nearly as much as Babcock does and the balance is much better.

norrisnick is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 11:28 PM
  #18
1datsyuk3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Guinea-Bissau
Posts: 1,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
I'm not worried about the Wings' legs one bit. They looked far fresher than the Oilers late in this one. They Oil have to work way too damn hard to keep up with the Wings' style of play and they'll burn out quicker. MacT also doesn't seem to trust his 4th line nearly as much as Babcock does and the balance is much better.
yep Roloson looked really tired at the end and I think a lot of the cause of the last goal was due to fatigue....

1datsyuk3* is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 11:32 PM
  #19
Spitfire11
Registered User
 
Spitfire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,530
vCash: 500
I didn't think Schneider had a bad game at all. He picked up assists on both of Maltby's goals and helped match the Oilers physically, throwing several big hits. I'll admit I missed his penalty call though.

Spitfire11 is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 11:37 PM
  #20
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11
I didn't think Schneider had a bad game at all. He picked up assists on both of Maltby's goals and helped match the Oilers physically, throwing several big hits. I'll admit I missed his penalty call though.
I actually thought he was really bad, as was Lilja, but Chelios was the worst. Good lord was he poor tonight. Kept trying to play the body without even thinking about the puck, and then the puck is out in front or back at the point for a scoring chance.

Nicklas Lidstrom was an absolute god during this game. Between making great defensive plays, keeping pucks in the zone during powerplays, and generally playing solid, mistake-free hockey, he was the best player on the ice for the duration of the game.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
04-21-2006, 11:40 PM
  #21
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
So Lilja and Schneider were really bad, and Chelios was even worse. Yet the Wings held the Oilers to 20 some odd shots in a double OT game?

I guess it can only get better then. Cool.

Higgy4 is offline  
Old
04-22-2006, 12:04 AM
  #22
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
So Lilja and Schneider were really bad, and Chelios was even worse. Yet the Wings held the Oilers to 20 some odd shots in a double OT game?

I guess it can only get better then. Cool.
I really don't think any of our defensemen played a bad game. A few took poor penalties, that's my only gripe. But we limited their chances and won most of the battles. If we keep getting efforts like this we'll be fine.

doublejack is offline  
Old
04-22-2006, 01:27 AM
  #23
Goldark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: United States
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil
The double OT may have hurt your team because they are older, but our goalie isn't exactly a spring chicken, so if we try and rely on him all series long like we did tonight it could be lights out and in a hurry for the Oil.

Considering we were rolling all 4 lines (with our 4th line actually being our best line this game), we looked MUCH fresher in the OT sessions.

But I guess a part of being a fan is eternal optimism

Goldark is offline  
Old
04-22-2006, 01:48 AM
  #24
Goldark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: United States
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
- Franzen was a beast. That guy is just a machine out there.

- After a slow start to the game, Zetterberg picked up his play and got some 1-on-1 chances, including a nice steal in the offensive zone. Not the best he can play for sure, but Homer and Samuelsson weren't giving him much help.

- Yzerman and Lang looked very good. Besides the goal, Lang had a couple of really good chances including one point blank attempt that got deflected by Pronger's stick.

- Manny looked somewhat shaky to begin with but really made some crucial saves to keep the Wings in it.

- Lidstrom proves why he is the best defenseman in the game. Amazing defensive presense out there.

- The whining from Oilers fans about officiating is hilarious (go read their board). A team controls most of the play, outshoots you by a gross margin, and completely dominates the overtime sessions, and it's somehow the refs fault that they lost. LOL, pretty rich.

Goldark is offline  
Old
04-22-2006, 01:58 AM
  #25
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldark
Considering we were rolling all 4 lines (with our 4th line actually being our best line this game), we looked MUCH fresher in the OT sessions.

But I guess a part of being a fan is eternal optimism
Our 4th line has been an issue all season long. We had a solid center (Reasoner) but he was dealt in the Samsonov deal. Laraque played very poorly until the last 20 games of the season or so, and Harvey has been a non-factor all season long. We have tried rookies (Winchester, Jacques, Pouliot, Brodziak) but Harvey continues to get a spot. If I were coach I would've played Marc Antoine Pouliot as our 4th line center (had a solid AHL season and has played admirably in 7 or 8 NHL games) and JF Jacques who is hell on skates. He takes the body hard, and he can skate for a big guy. He also had a solid AHL rookie campaign and has looked to be NHL ready in terms of physical attributes. IMO we have the horses neccesary, but they are still young and Mac-T doesn't put enough trust in rookies IMO. It IMO will help your team (not as if they need any help as it is!!!).

Bryanbryoil is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.