HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 1 thoughts

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2006, 03:01 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
I'm not worried about the Wings' legs one bit. They looked far fresher than the Oilers late in this one.
Yeah, that doesn't speak too damn well for my team does it??? The main advantage that they have is having youthful exuberance on their side. If they allow the older team to out skate and out-hustle them this series will be over in the blink of an eye. If so, then I can only dream that Mac-T won't return.

Old
04-22-2006, 03:20 AM
stu the grim reaper

i love malts

im glad he came back

i too drunk to say anything mroe

Old
04-22-2006, 03:21 AM
millax

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldark
- Franzen was a beast. That guy is just a machine out there.

- After a slow start to the game, Zetterberg picked up his play and got some 1-on-1 chances, including a nice steal in the offensive zone. Not the best he can play for sure, but Homer and Samuelsson weren't giving him much help.

- Yzerman and Lang looked very good. Besides the goal, Lang had a couple of really good chances including one point blank attempt that got deflected by Pronger's stick.

- Manny looked somewhat shaky to begin with but really made some crucial saves to keep the Wings in it.

- Lidstrom proves why he is the best defenseman in the game. Amazing defensive presense out there.

- The whining from Oilers fans about officiating is hilarious (go read their board). A team controls most of the play, outshoots you by a gross margin, and completely dominates the overtime sessions, and it's somehow the refs fault that they lost. LOL, pretty rich.
I think it is pretty valid. Peca got tackled by Lidstrom. No call. Laraque gets hit and knocked down a mile away from the play. No call. Hemsky gets knee'd. No call.

Peca hits someone. Gets a penalty. Bergeron stands up for his goalie, gets a double minor for a phantom high-stick.

The officiating was not consistent at all. Detroit was given quite a few breaks.

Old
04-22-2006, 03:30 AM
TorontoWingsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
So Lilja and Schneider were really bad, and Chelios was even worse. Yet the Wings held the Oilers to 20 some odd shots in a double OT game?

I guess it can only get better then. Cool.
Lilja almost cost a sure goal. Give that same opportunity and 8 times out of 10 it will end up in our net. 4/10.

Schneids was invisible, except for his penalty which cost us a goal, and one shot off an Yzerman faceoff win. 4/10 for him.

Chelios I didn't think played that bad.

Lebda and Lidstrom were out best d-men tonight, with Kronwall playing a quitely good game, which is encouraging.

Old
04-22-2006, 03:32 AM
TorontoWingsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by millax
I think it is pretty valid. Peca got tackled by Lidstrom. No call. Laraque gets hit and knocked down a mile away from the play. No call. Hemsky gets knee'd. No call.

Peca hits someone. Gets a penalty. Bergeron stands up for his goalie, gets a double minor for a phantom high-stick.

The officiating was not consistent at all. Detroit was given quite a few breaks.
Lang get's hooked, no call.

Yzerman....inteference? HA.

You call punching people in the face after the whistle standing up for one's goalie? Keep your mits off the other guys face, it's not hard to understand.

The only real joke tonight was that the Wings were too lethargic in chasing the shots to the net and getting bodies in front there. This game should have been 4-2 or 5-2 straightup.

Old
04-22-2006, 05:15 AM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Refs were fine, here's what I said at the Oilers board...

A view from someone at the actual game:

I think there were a few chincy calls going both ways because the refs were looking for penalties. They knew the league expected them to crack down and call things, so they were a bit trigger happy early.

But, the bottom line was that neither team deserved many penalties at all. They both played very clean games. Edmonton played a 1-2-2 forecheck, but they did so legally. There were no calls in overtime - but not because the refs put their whistles away.

It was a good, clean, well played hockey game by both teams. Outside the chincy calls for both sides in the early goings, I think the refs settled into a good rhythm and called a fine game.

----------

I just wanted to say thanks to Wings fans in general for being so classy and welcoming to a fan of the opposition. You guys get a huge thumbs up from me.

Your city on the other hand...

Old
04-22-2006, 07:03 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
So Lilja and Schneider were really bad, and Chelios was even worse. Yet the Wings held the Oilers to 20 some odd shots in a double OT game?

I guess it can only get better then. Cool.

I was thinking the same thing.

Happy with the win as always thank you for your thoughts guys

Old
04-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoWingsFan
Lilja almost cost a sure goal. Give that same opportunity and 8 times out of 10 it will end up in our net. 4/10.

Schneids was invisible, except for his penalty which cost us a goal, and one shot off an Yzerman faceoff win. 4/10 for him.

Chelios I didn't think played that bad.

Lebda and Lidstrom were out best d-men tonight, with Kronwall playing a quitely good game, which is encouraging.

That was my point. If Lilja, Schneider and Chelios were horrible last night then it can only get better. The Wings still played a solid defensive game with 3 of thier top 4 defensman having a rough go.

Old
04-22-2006, 10:07 AM
kov

Nice points by quite a few here; I'm less nervous about this series right now but still waiting if that was the "real" Oilers or not. Maybe I read the wrong Oilers threads (or the right ones?) but I don't see anybody blaming the refs for the loss. They're just all pissed about the tactics and happy that Roloson's doing well.

One thing I did want to add is that MacT seems downright terrified to play his 4th line, and he's making Smith's line work *a lot*. If Babcock can keep rolling all our lines at 'em that bodes well for us in OT games and the more games there are in the series. That and going hard to the net a bit more and we should be fine.

Old
04-22-2006, 11:35 AM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kov
Nice points by quite a few here; I'm less nervous about this series right now but still waiting if that was the "real" Oilers or not. Maybe I read the wrong Oilers threads (or the right ones?) but I don't see anybody blaming the refs for the loss. They're just all pissed about the tactics and happy that Roloson's doing well.

One thing I did want to add is that MacT seems downright terrified to play his 4th line, and he's making Smith's line work *a lot*. If Babcock can keep rolling all our lines at 'em that bodes well for us in OT games and the more games there are in the series. That and going hard to the net a bit more and we should be fine.
That's because he dressed Rem Murray and Todd Harvey, and they were absolutely USELESS. Neither guy deserves to come back in game 2. A fourth unit with a couple rookies would at least make some nosie.

Old
04-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Captain

It was nice to see the real Edmonton show up, not that team we saw at the end of the regular season. Roloson deserves a lot of credit for keeping them in the game. THey're going to make the boys earn their way to the next round, no question about that.

I read several fan boards, and I smile when I realize that the two Wings fans most want to see gone are the two that found the back of Edmonton's net. Ha ha ha.

I hope Pasha makes it back for game two.

Old
04-22-2006, 11:50 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
* The Wings played better 5-on-5 than I thought. Edmonton really didn't mount much of an attack tonight, outside of the second period.
However, their speed is dangerous. The Wings defense lost a ton of foot races tonight.

and this is what bugs me about what Mctavish did. The oilers have played all season pressuring hard and outskating and outworking teams but the playoffs roll around and they just sit back and let the other team come to them?? Playing scared is what it is, if they keep it up the Wings will roll over them easily because that's not the oilers game.

Old
04-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Hey so has Stevie Y always been this good this year? I mean my god I thought he lost a step or 2, he was consistantly creating chances out there. Here's hoping that he slows down.

Old
04-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova
Hey so has Stevie Y always been this good this year? I mean my god I thought he lost a step or 2, he was consistantly creating chances out there. Here's hoping that he slows down.
I understand your team had a ton of excitement coming down the stretch, so for updates sake, Yzerman had a ten game scoring streak towards the end of the season, right before the Wings started resting players. He's not hobbled this year, so he's able to contribute much more.

Old
04-22-2006, 12:59 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldark

- The whining from Oilers fans about officiating is hilarious (go read their board). A team controls most of the play, outshoots you by a gross margin, and completely dominates the overtime sessions, and it's somehow the refs fault that they lost. LOL, pretty rich.
If you listened to the CBC broadcasters you would understand. All they did was whine about the officiating from an Oilers standpoint.... naturally that sort of thing rubs of on the fans after 5 periods.

Old
04-22-2006, 01:09 PM
stu the grim reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova
its a recent development

Old
04-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower
If you listened to the CBC broadcasters you would understand. All they did was whine about the officiating from an Oilers standpoint.... naturally that sort of thing rubs of on the fans after 5 periods.
It started fairly unbiased then Garrett just let loose and made himself look like a fool.

Old
04-22-2006, 04:01 PM
sarcastro

If the Oilers' fans want to complain about the refs being terrible, I'm right there with them. They were terrible.

But if they want to complain that the Wings got help from the refs in this one, well, that's asinine.

Yzerman's interference call was BS. Supposedly, since you're not allowed to bump, slash, hook, or hold a guy at ALL now, the one thing that you are supposed to do is get in his way and make him go around you. That is what Stevie did, and he got a penalty.

The exact same thing happened on Schneider's interference call. He was standing still, and the Oiler ran into him and fell down. Schneider gets a penalty. Terrible call.

Lilja hit the Oiler with his shoulder, and when the Oiler went around him, his arm was outstretched with the stick in it and his elbow was locked. He didn't hook him, he didn't hold him, he just let him go by. His arm was there, but the replays showed that he didn't use it to impede the Oiler. Another bad call.

I thought the Chelios and Peca calls were both soft. Smyth dove on the Chelios one, and Peca didn't hit Z that hard on his. I could have done without both these calls.

Shanny's call was a tough one. An Oiler had gotten a penalty for getting his gloves up on a hit - Peca, I think - but Shanny hit a guy that was like 7 inches shorter than him, so that's just where his hands were. He didn't extend his arms in a punching motion like Peca did. And the timing was bad too.

My biggest problem with the Shanahan penalty is that a minute before, a Wing was in the slot going to the net and the puck was centered, but he (Cleary, maybe?) was getting mugged so he couldn't get the puck. And then Shanahan gets a dodgy call a minute later. Blech.

And Lilja didn't knee anyone. He was standing straight up and Hemsky was reaching for the puck. He did not have his leg out.

And then the refs put the whistles away in OT. New rules, eh? I'm not that sad, if it means Bettman is going to kick McCreary out of the second round for not doing his job. I hate that guy.

Bottom line IMO, the refs sucked for both sides, but the Wings got the short end.

I'm betting that game 2 will have about 15 penalties on both sides, because the refs will be yelled at for not calling anything in OT. That, and the players will have adjusted to the OT reffing from last night and they won't be able to stop themselves.

Old
04-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
i didnt see the game, i saw 2 minutes of it, date with the GF and i dont break a promise, but i for one will be seeing all 60+ minutes tomorrow for sure, any news on datsyuk for tomorrow?

Old
04-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Goldark

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
i didnt see the game, i saw 2 minutes of it, date with the GF and i dont break a promise, but i for one will be seeing all 60+ minutes tomorrow for sure, any news on datsyuk for tomorrow?

A date with the girlfriend?! over a Wings playoff game??!!!

Where are your priorities, man?

Old
04-22-2006, 04:50 PM
O'shizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
You disgust me.

Old
04-22-2006, 05:38 PM
GuloGulo

I might be in a minority.. but before seeing a tape of the game.. I heard that the Wings played like crap and decided to look at the game in a critical manner.. and I think they played a really solid game. Only for a few windows of time were the Oilers allowed to do anything constructive at all. Wings forecheck was a lot more aggessive than the opponent's. Possession was maintained even when entry to the zone was denied, and the defensive brain farts were pretty minimal (Zetterberg shall never ever deke around his own crease again tho).

Old
04-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
If the Oilers' fans want to complain about the refs being terrible, I'm right there with them. They were terrible.

But if they want to complain that the Wings got help from the refs in this one, well, that's asinine.

Yzerman's interference call was BS. Supposedly, since you're not allowed to bump, slash, hook, or hold a guy at ALL now, the one thing that you are supposed to do is get in his way and make him go around you. That is what Stevie did, and he got a penalty.

The exact same thing happened on Schneider's interference call. He was standing still, and the Oiler ran into him and fell down. Schneider gets a penalty. Terrible call.

Lilja hit the Oiler with his shoulder, and when the Oiler went around him, his arm was outstretched with the stick in it and his elbow was locked. He didn't hook him, he didn't hold him, he just let him go by. His arm was there, but the replays showed that he didn't use it to impede the Oiler. Another bad call.

I thought the Chelios and Peca calls were both soft. Smyth dove on the Chelios one, and Peca didn't hit Z that hard on his. I could have done without both these calls.

Shanny's call was a tough one. An Oiler had gotten a penalty for getting his gloves up on a hit - Peca, I think - but Shanny hit a guy that was like 7 inches shorter than him, so that's just where his hands were. He didn't extend his arms in a punching motion like Peca did. And the timing was bad too.

My biggest problem with the Shanahan penalty is that a minute before, a Wing was in the slot going to the net and the puck was centered, but he (Cleary, maybe?) was getting mugged so he couldn't get the puck. And then Shanahan gets a dodgy call a minute later. Blech.

And Lilja didn't knee anyone. He was standing straight up and Hemsky was reaching for the puck. He did not have his leg out.

And then the refs put the whistles away in OT. New rules, eh? I'm not that sad, if it means Bettman is going to kick McCreary out of the second round for not doing his job. I hate that guy.

Bottom line IMO, the refs sucked for both sides, but the Wings got the short end.

I'm betting that game 2 will have about 15 penalties on both sides, because the refs will be yelled at for not calling anything in OT. That, and the players will have adjusted to the OT reffing from last night and they won't be able to stop themselves.
I cant believe you dont agree with the Yzerman interference call. He looked over and picked the guy so his teammate could turn out of the corner. Thats textbook interference. Is it just because your captain did it? You cant pick to give a teammate a lane.

The Schneider call was weak

The Peca calls (both of them) were weak

The Chelios call was weak

The Shanahan call was very justified.

The 4 minute Bergeron call was bs. Make that **** offsetting.

The call when Maltby ran our goalie was weak (how do the Oilers get shorthanded out of that? Way to protect the goalies NHL. At least make it offsetting.)

Lidstrom tackling Peca was missed. The Lilja knee was borderline (Wings fans say he didnt stick out his knee, Oiler fans say is was a blatent knee, so common sense dictates that its somewhere in the middle).

Both sides have legitatime beefs wrt the refs (what else is new? Its sports) but Oilers have more to complain about. But thats not the reason the Oilers lost, and most fans on the Oilers board realize that.

I'm not too sure where the Oiler fans are that are claiming the refs lost the game for us (as per what that other poster said). I guess all Red Wing fans love to generalize about all Oiler fans all the time.

Old
04-22-2006, 06:15 PM
HeHateMeFrisbee

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
I think Babcock must hate Shanny, putting him on a line with Draper and Mowers.

Old
04-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
Whaaa?? That's the most asinine comment I've ever heard.

NHL rulebook:

A: A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck.

Um, okay, not a penalty then?

Closed Thread