HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Berard

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 06:34 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Berard

BERARD STILL SEARCHING FOR A TEAM.

CANADIAN PRESS: reports free agent defenceman Bryan Berard is still waiting for an NHL contract. He acknowledged his agent contacting the Detroit Red Wings and St. Louis Blues, and says it may take until November before he finally gets a contract from a team. He also said re-signing with Boston remains a possibility, although the club continues to claim they can't afford him.

Spector's Note: My thanks to "Word". Unless Berard is willing to accept far less than a one-year, $1.8 million contract, which was the last one the Bruins offered him before they yanked it, he's won't be playing in Boston.

How is this guy still a FA? Just sad that this guy is out there and we don't even try to sign him. Another piss poor loss.

Old
10-29-2003, 06:44 PM
eric824

The Caps are looking for defensive minded d-men and Berard is an offensive d-man - though he's probably still an upgrade defensively of the likes of Kiwi, Boumer and Gruden, and I think they SHOULD sign him. The $$$ he'd command means Teddy Dot Com probably wouldn't let GMGM sign him anyway. I suspect that if they did sign him, it would mean a trade invoving Gonchar is imminent.

Old
10-29-2003, 06:55 PM
You're Retarded

vCash:
Bryan Berard isn't the answer to our problems. It would just be a waste of money to sign him IMO.

Old
10-29-2003, 11:39 PM
Kegger

vCash: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Bondra
Bryan Berard isn't the answer to our problems. It would just be a waste of money to sign him IMO.
Why couldn't we sign Berard for 2 million, and then use Gonchar as trade bait to get at a quality defensive dman?

Old
10-30-2003, 02:06 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethKeggins
Why couldn't we sign Berard for 2 million, and then use Gonchar as trade bait to get at a quality defensive dman?
boston walked away from berard's arbitration award. so, he is not unrestricted. any offer below a certain amount must be done with the approval of the bruins which means they will want an asset in return.

Old
10-30-2003, 05:12 AM
Killerbeez

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
boston walked away from berard's arbitration award. so, he is not unrestricted. any offer below a certain amount must be done with the approval of the bruins which means they will want an asset in return.
Berard is a great story, but I don't think he'd be a fit with the caps. He can be a defensive liability and you have ample offensive d.

Old
10-30-2003, 09:50 AM
exterminator-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethKeggins
Like maybe Jassen Cullimore from Tampa?

Old
10-30-2003, 08:46 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

No offense but,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbeez
Berard is a great story, but I don't think he'd be a fit with the caps. He can be a defensive liability and you have ample offensive d.
That's the most laughable statement I've heard in a while. Berard would be our #3 guy immediately.

"Why couldn't we sign Berard for 2 million, and then use Gonchar as trade bait to get at a quality defensive dman?

I couldn't agree more Seth. I'd like to see Aaron Miller here, but I'm sure that would be hard to get from the Kings.

Gonch for Miller straight up? Gonch and Ziggy would make a nice power play in LA.

Old
10-31-2003, 01:59 AM
Killerbeez

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon
That's the most laughable statement I've heard in a while. Berard would be our #3 guy immediately.

"Why couldn't we sign Berard for 2 million, and then use Gonchar as trade bait to get at a quality defensive dman?

I couldn't agree more Seth. I'd like to see Aaron Miller here, but I'm sure that would be hard to get from the Kings.

Gonch for Miller straight up? Gonch and Ziggy would make a nice power play in LA.
re-read my post. Berard may be better than some of what you have, but you do already have the best offensive d-man playing right now. Don't trade gonchar. you;ll be looking for the next gonchar for years if you do. Until you've watched a season of brian you probably wouldn't understand. Being #3 on the caps right now doesn't take a lot of talent.

Berard has boat loads of talent but no vision in one eye. In close he got routinely beat all year long last year partly because he just couldn't see people and partly because he relied totally on instinct.

If you're going to firesale the caps, do it with the players that are aging or just don't fit....not a gem like gonchar.

Old
10-31-2003, 09:18 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I read your post.

Sure Berard is an offensive d-man, but he would still be better defensively than 5 of our guys on the roster.

The fact is to get something good, you have to give something good. Gonchar is 30 in April, will probably get $5-$6 mil next season, and heading into UFA next season, I say move him now. Otherwise we'll get crap for him next season. We need a 23-25 yr old d-man with top 3 potential in return, and another firm prospect at a minimum.

Old
10-31-2003, 10:19 AM
Killerbeez

moot point now....he just signed with the blackhawks.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...1-berard_x.htm

Closed Thread