HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calgary: dullest NHL team?

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2006, 10:55 AM
The n00b King ©*

vCash: 500
im glad most of you guys agree with me.

Calgary flames and NJ Devils style of hockey is killing the sport.

I mean there was virtually no ambiance in that amphiteatre (geez i wonder why. although it wasnt as bad as the edmonton vs red wings game. i was wondering if there were any fans in there). I stopped watching it during the 3rd cuz i knew this game was gonna go into OT. Possibly forever.

Imagine that type of game going into 3-4 OTs...oh god...that'd be horrible.

They dont skate that hard BTW. because if they did, they'd have way more scoring opportunities. They just play a very very defensive style of game. With a team full of grinders. I mean Iggy needs better players to play with in order to fully unleash his offensive power. IT'S IGINLA FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. Sutter is making him play like he's a third liner...ugh...

Old
04-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin_goon
ok....

i just need to put forth a lil rant...

I really dislike the style of hockey Calgary plays.

Sure, they win games. But like 90% of their games are won with scores of 1-0 2-1.

It's a team filled with grinders.

I dont know about you, but would you rather see skills over a bunch of guys just grinding away at the opposition?

I mean is'nt that just absolutely the dullest hockey ever?

I mean im thinking that NJ is more interesting to watch then Calgary...and that's saying a lot.

I wonder how much Iginla would actually score if placed on a team that actually has an offense...

Now who else feels the same way about Calgary then i do? If they beat Anaheim, i hope they get lit up in the second round...
A boring team who made it to the Stanley Cup finals the last time it was played for...It doesnt matter how you get there as long as you get there....

Old
04-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
im glad most of you guys agree with me.

Calgary flames and NJ Devils style of hockey is killing the sport.
You mean that same NJ team that scored four goals in like six minutes against the Habs last game...Come on man quit whining about how a team plays, its up to the other teams to make adjustments to counter what teams like the Devils do....

Old
04-22-2006, 11:07 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Some people didn't realize that the Devils changed alot in the past years. Sure they have dull players like Madden and Marshall but Elias, Gomez, Gionta and Parisé are very entertaining and offensive minded even if they have a defensive awarness (sp?!).

Old
04-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

I really enjoyed watching the Anaheim portion of that game. Very entertaining.
Calgary while you have to respect them are god awful to watch.

Flames Playbook:

Whack the puck out of their zone, skate their butts off to the loose puck, commence new battle for puck.
Whack puck from neutral zone to offensive zone - dont worry about icings, if iced go back to step one - if not iced commence new battle for puck.
If puck releases from offensive zone, whack it back in immediately and repeat.

Above all do not allow creativity to seep into your game.
Of course all of this is meaningless without the fundamental underlying bedrock principle of Flames hockey.
A goalie that makes every save.

Seriously. does anyone think Calgary has a chance in this series if Kipprusoff isnt playing??
Good for them that have a great goalie but nobody is going to tell me that they are enjoyable to watch unless you are a goalie.

Old
04-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Last night 3rd period was a prime example of why this team have an ability to play some nice hockey BUUUT... as soon as they get a 1 goal lead: boooooring.

Last night, they start playing against after the Ducks puts the game 1-1. That's not nice hockey.

Calgary fans can still be happy but you wont see them saying:
« man, that was a nice game». They are saying «man, that was a nice win».

Big difference.

Old
04-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriereRulz
What are you talking about it will Sabres and Sharks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not your Habs and Flames wake up
!!!!!
Alrighty then...

Old
04-22-2006, 11:27 AM
DerekT

Yeah, last night's game was about the dullest thing on TV. All the other 3 games had more entertainment value.

Old
04-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Namso

Calgary is the most BORING team in the league. They took the cake away from the Devils who are not that bad anymore.

Seriously, i watched the first 2 periods only (I was ready to kill myself after that) and wow, I could have counted to scoring oppurtinities on one hand.

Old
04-22-2006, 11:31 AM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyHeatley#1Fan
Some people didn't realize that the Devils changed alot in the past years. Sure they have dull players like Madden and Marshall but Elias, Gomez, Gionta and Parisé are very entertaining and offensive minded even if they have a defensive awarness (sp?!).
no you're right. ever since Lomoriello took over, the Devils have changed their style. But you have to also factor in the fact that the crappy *** trap doesnt work as well as it used to. Because if it did, they would surely still abuse it.

The flames are a whole lot less interesting to watch then NJ.

So i take that back from before.

At least with guys like Gomez and company, they TRY to score by outspeeding the opponent. Not just sit on a 1 goal lead...

Old
04-22-2006, 11:33 AM
MathMan

Quote:
I really dislike the style of hockey Calgary plays.
So do I. Calgary is over-hyped and plays a boring, dull, uncreative, grinding style that is only tenable at all because Kiprusoff is so amazing. They're like the Wild except that they win. Winning doesn't make them exciting, it makes them a throwback to the bad old days. Their game is to kill the speed and the skill that the NHL has been trying to inject back into the game. It's a shame because they have more talent than their style allows them to display (Phaneuf, Iginla, etc...) not that Calgary is a particularly skilled team IMHO.

Someone give Sutter the memo about the New NHL already. That a team that plays like Calgary has success means there's more work to be done with the rules or the reffing, IMHO.

Old
04-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Trollo*

I have to say the Ottawa Senators are the dullest team in the NHL to watch. I know, they have a ton of skilled players and a lot of their goals are really nice, but to me hockey is the grinding in the corners, the constant pounding on the boards, and especially even strength play.

I also hate the fact powerplays are determining games in the playoffs, which was evident in the first game of the ottawa series.

I love calgary hockey, and I like edmonton even more because they show even more heart and grit. I would much rather see a solid open ice hit or a good fight than a goal in many games. I good hit gets me more excited than a goal most times.

Old
04-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Habs4Life

vCash: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewTheDrunk
I have to say the Ottawa Senators are the dullest team in the NHL to watch. I know, they have a ton of skilled players and a lot of their goals are really nice, but to me hockey is the grinding in the corners, the constant pounding on the boards, and especially even strength play. I hate the fact powerplays are determining games in the playoffs, which was evident in the first game of the ottawa series.

I love calgary hockey, and I like edmonton even more because they show even more heart and grit.
Ottawa won the game because they played hard and caused the opposing team to take penalties... Ottawa played their hearts out in the third period.

Old
04-22-2006, 11:51 AM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewTheDrunk
I have to say the Ottawa Senators are the dullest team in the NHL to watch. I know, they have a ton of skilled players and a lot of their goals are really nice, but to me hockey is the grinding in the corners, the constant pounding on the boards, and especially even strength play.

I also hate the fact powerplays are determining games in the playoffs, which was evident in the first game of the ottawa series.

I love calgary hockey, and I like edmonton even more because they show even more heart and grit. I would much rather see a solid open ice hit or a good fight than a goal in many games. I good hit gets me more excited than a goal most times.
i couldnt disagree more.

hockey isnt about hitting people. Sure it's part of the game, but it's not the point of the game. Obviously winning the game in a professional hockey league is winning. But on a general basis it's having fun. But that's another story.

Im sorry but id rather see a beautiful play unfold into a goal then a bunch of guys hitting the opposition and crashing their goalie with the puck trickling in cuz it bounced off a skate or something.

I agree that every team needs a few grinders. Just not a full squad of them.

The TB and OTT game was way more interesting because there was back to back rushes lots of free play and then some great chances. Whereas Calgary is just hit, dump the puck and hope we can be the first to it. Anaheim plays a similar style but they were trying constantly to bring offense whereas Calgary wasnt.

Old
04-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Evil Ted

a sutter coaches the team what do you expect, all he cares about is if they win and compete in a physical fasion.

Old
04-22-2006, 03:19 PM
La Grosse Tendresse
HFBoards Sponsor

CGY: team defense.
NJ: trap.

No difference, except for Canadian media.

Old
04-22-2006, 03:23 PM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriereRulz
What are you talking about it will Sabres and Sharks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not your Habs and Flames wake up
!!!!!

Old
04-22-2006, 04:34 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenator1
I like the Flames, and hope they do well. But I agree with most of you that they are horrible to watch.

Last night, after watching the Sens beat TBL, the final minutes of Nashville-SJ, the OT with Edmonton-Detroit, I started watching the Flames-Ducks. First, I fell asleep on the couch, then watched a bit more with it 1-1 in the 3rd, but went to bed instead of watching the rest. Normally, I never stop watching a tied playoff game in the 3rd, but that game was practically unwatchable.

Skating, end to end rushes, crazy scoring chances, and speed were totally missing. I don't blame the Flames, because they are Iggy + a bunch of 3rd liners with good defense and goaltending, and must play this way to win, but anyone who says they are exciting is delusional.

I'm looking forward to Habs v. Carolina. Should be exciting, fast, hopefully end to end. GO HABS !

Well, to be honest, the Calgary game was 100 times more exciting than the snoozefest in Kanata.

The Ducks were extremely fast on the puck, great passes, great hits, some superb goaltending. What do you want?

Give me a Calgary-type team in Montreal tomorrow over a sorry-azz ballerina team like we mostly have. I'd rather have 10 Bégins plus 2 talented, peripheral players like Calgary, and some sandpaper defencemen, than having 1 Bégin, 3 pluckers and some ballerinas like Ribs and Zednik.

Old
04-22-2006, 05:07 PM
joepaco

if anything I thought the Oilers were boring last night

Old
04-22-2006, 05:09 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaco
is anything I thought the Oilers were boring last night

Well, to be honest, they couldn't touch the puck. I looked like a pinball game out there.

Old
04-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Well, to be honest, they couldn't touch the puck. I looked like a pinball game out there.
lol true detroit thoroughly dominated that game.

Old
04-22-2006, 08:39 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D
How can you find Calgary dull is beyond me. They always skate hard, 100%, and they forecheck, a style that some real dull teams don't try to do.
Agreed. Whenever I watch Calgary play I swear I can see little Darryl Sutters riding on every Flame's shoulder driving them with a whip . There are no passengers on that team and you can never take them lightly. If the Habs had that kind of work ethic they'd be a 100-point team.

If you want to talk dull, talk 2003 Ducks - Devils. That had to be the least entertaining 7-game final ever played. The 96 Panthers and 98 Capitals were pretty awful to watch, too.

Old
04-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861
Agreed. Whenever I watch Calgary play I swear I can see little Darryl Sutters riding on every Flame's shoulder driving them with a whip . There are no passengers on that team and you can never take them lightly. If the Habs had that kind of work ethic they'd be a 100-point team.

If you want to talk dull, talk 2003 Ducks - Devils. That had to be the least entertaining 7-game final ever played. The 96 Panthers and 98 Capitals were pretty awful to watch, too.

The 2003 Cup finals BLEW.

Old
04-22-2006, 08:47 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransportedUpstater
The 2003 Cup finals BLEW.
Agreed, although I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the playoffs that year.

Old
04-23-2006, 12:50 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml_4ever

Don't laugh, you have jinxed the Rangers with your Leaf support.

Oh, and for the Sabres fan, the Sharks are golfing by the end of next week. And you'll have to face the Devils in round 2 thanks to Leaf's jinx.

Closed Thread