HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calgary: dullest NHL team?

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Breenger

vCash: 500
I don't mind Calgary's hockey, I love the intensity. I wish the habs could play with as much effort on a consistant basis.

Old
04-23-2006, 07:23 PM
jerseydevil

SO what we learned from this thread....If you don't give Montreal a ton of scoring chances and they can't beat you...You are boring and ruining the sport...Hey guys, we scored 6 goals in our first playoff game too...we've won 12 in a row...and we had one of the most exciting comebacks to beat you in the season finale...Get off the Devils backs..We actually have a ton of players that can beat you with speed and offensive ability..

Old
04-23-2006, 08:02 PM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
SO what we learned from this thread....If you don't give Montreal a ton of scoring chances and they can't beat you...You are boring and ruining the sport...Hey guys, we scored 6 goals in our first playoff game too...we've won 12 in a row...and we had one of the most exciting comebacks to beat you in the season finale...Get off the Devils backs..We actually have a ton of players that can beat you with speed and offensive ability..
most people brought up NJ because they were thinking NJ of old. which WERE incredibly dull. But since Lamouriello came 'round...

Besides, the thread is about Calgary.

Last edited by Bud The Spud*: 04-24-2006 at 10:06 AM.
Old
04-23-2006, 08:11 PM
deandebean

Guys, it still works.

Remember 2 years ago? I used to post negative things right before a game in the playoffs. Things like: Habs gonna lose, they suck, bla, bla. And they would win.

The karma still works!!! I wrote 3 negative posts right before the game, ranting about Kovalev, about the Habs in general, saying they would suck.

And the Habs won.

OK, guys. Who should I lambaste for tomorrow's game?

Old
04-23-2006, 08:12 PM
DerekT

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Guys, it still works.

Remember 2 years ago? I used to post negative things right before a game in the playoffs. Things like: Habs gonna lose, they suck, bla, bla. And they would win.

The karma still works!!! I wrote 3 negative posts right before the game, ranting about Kovalev, about the Habs in general, saying they would suck.

And the Habs won.

OK, guys. Who should I lambaste for tomorrow's game?
Gainey, for not rolling the lines enough,

Koivu, for not scoring a goal,

Ribeiro, because he needs to be STRONGER!

Old
04-23-2006, 08:15 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninot
Gainey, for not rolling the lines enough,

Koivu, for not scoring a goal,

Ribeiro, because he needs to be STRONGER!
Whoa, one player at a time. As for Gainey, he's not on the ice, so he doesn't count.

Old
04-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Caesium

vCash: 50
I actually find Calgary to be one of the most enjoyable teams to watch in the NHL. Hard work, grit, determination, physicality, always dropping the gloves, and Kipper is awesome. They may not dangle or make plays like Ovechkin, but they get the job done. Seeing Phaneuf really plant someone is extremely entertaining.

Old
04-23-2006, 08:57 PM
MathMan

Maybe you can like their game if you like fights and hits rather than passes, dekes, skating, and goals. But I like to think hockey should have a healthy amount of the latter and the Flames aren't very capable at any of it.

After watching Period 1 of game 2 of their series, I have to say I'm not sure I've ever seen a power play so unconvincing and unimaginative. They're built to crash and bang and you'd almost think a PP is an alien situation for them. They have little to no ability to carry the puck in, so they just dump it in, chase it (praying the faster opposing D-men don't get there first, not very likely vs. Scott Niedermeyer), then bang and grind it against the board and try to get it in front to score. Iginla's line barely managed an actual passing play once, as they can't seem to get set up.

Dumping in is okay when used in moderation and with speedy wingers on the other side but it's all the Flames do, every single time. The opposing D-men are even starting to use this predilection against them.

It's ineffectual and it's dull to watch. You'd almost think Sutter should decline power plays.

Old
04-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Raider917

vCash: 50
they better start getting a little more exciting or it will be an early exit.

Old
04-23-2006, 09:08 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
they better start getting a little more exciting or it will be an early exit.

Man, the Ducks are flying. Scott is really the best defenceman to have come around in a long time.

Old
04-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Garry Valk

I'd rather have Pronger than Niedermayer when the game is on the line. When Pronger is on his game, he is unbeatable. The physical dimension of his game, combined with his natural talent, is amazing.

Old
04-23-2006, 09:47 PM
GaineysRightHandMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewTheDrunk
I have to say the Ottawa Senators are the dullest team in the NHL to watch. I know, they have a ton of skilled players and a lot of their goals are really nice, but to me hockey is the grinding in the corners, the constant pounding on the boards, and especially even strength play.

I also hate the fact powerplays are determining games in the playoffs, which was evident in the first game of the ottawa series.

I love calgary hockey, and I like edmonton even more because they show even more heart and grit. I would much rather see a solid open ice hit or a good fight than a goal in many games. I good hit gets me more excited than a goal most times.
Stew, you the man. I don't like watching sens games. It would probably be alright if i was a sens fan. dogbert, you are the dude.
Flames #2, Flames #2.
I have a Habs jersey but also a Flames hoodie. I will be up in Calgary for 1st week in May and I can't wait just to be in Flames-city. Game #2 is proving to be exciting. I love the heart, grit, hits, their D. I drool over their D. Kipper is amazing. Dogbert, who will win the Flames/ Habs Stanley Cup this year?

Old
04-23-2006, 11:11 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaineysRightHandMan
Stew, you the man. I don't like watching sens games. It would probably be alright if i was a sens fan. dogbert, you are the dude.
Flames #2, Flames #2.
I have a Habs jersey but also a Flames hoodie. I will be up in Calgary for 1st week in May and I can't wait just to be in Flames-city. Game #2 is proving to be exciting. I love the heart, grit, hits, their D. I drool over their D. Kipper is amazing. Dogbert, who will win the Flames/ Habs Stanley Cup this year?
I have half season tickets to the Sens (and all the playoff games....Habs vs Sens in 2nd round *crosses fingers*).

If the Sens play well they are an extremely exciting team to watch. They make nice plays, they can hit, they can fight, Hasek makes nice saves, etc.
Thing is, when they're not playing well (which seems to happen often enough), they are absolutely boring to watch. I had to fight to stay awake tonight vs TBay (although that may be attributed to me not sleeping much this past week).

Old
04-24-2006, 02:37 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Well having seen our team play the neutral zone Lemaire trap and how boring it was, I will take the Flames agressive checking team style of play any days.

I`m sorry to say that so far Flames/Ducks > Habs/Hurricanes.

But the truth is I really want to win, so I don`t give a crap.

Old
04-24-2006, 07:30 AM
mcphee

Calgary has sort of become a self fulfilling team,imo. Sutter plays a ststem suited to the players he has, it starts to work so they acquire players to keep playing that system. Teams need an identity and the heavy grinding,make everyone pay the price style is theirs. I have no problem with them. Games are interesting because of the contrast of styles. If Calgary wins, other teams will emulate,if they don't they won't.

Old
04-24-2006, 08:31 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
If Calgary wins, other teams will emulate,if they don't they won't.
Anaheim in five. Please, God, let it be Anaheim in five...

Seriously, the Anaheim-Flames game was pretty good but only because Anaheim took an early three-goal lead. The Flames were forced to open up and try to play some hockey. And imagine that, they actually have some players that can do that. What a waste...

Old
04-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
People who need to grow up (and you know who you are), do it fast. I don't want to have to delete any more posts.

Old
04-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk
I'd rather have Pronger than Niedermayer when the game is on the line. When Pronger is on his game, he is unbeatable. The physical dimension of his game, combined with his natural talent, is amazing.
I think few people would agree with you. Niedermayer has actually done something in the playoffs during his career.

Old
04-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewTheDrunk
I have to say the Ottawa Senators are the dullest team in the NHL to watch. I know, they have a ton of skilled players and a lot of their goals are really nice, but to me hockey is the grinding in the corners, the constant pounding on the boards, and especially even strength play.

I also hate the fact powerplays are determining games in the playoffs, which was evident in the first game of the ottawa series.

I love calgary hockey, and I like edmonton even more because they show even more heart and grit. I would much rather see a solid open ice hit or a good fight than a goal in many games. I good hit gets me more excited than a goal most times.
Geesh bud. Dull .. Yeah play making is dull .. Lord.

Hitters - Chara, Mezaros, Volchencov, Fisher and Neil ...

Maybe you should tune in once and a while.

Old
04-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Benchguy

Send a message via MSN to Benchguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin_goon
ok....

i just need to put forth a lil rant...

I really dislike the style of hockey Calgary plays.

That's funny , a Habs fan saying CGY are boring...

You whine about their lack of offense (it's true, they have the worst among the playoff teams (217GF in season), but the 2nd worst offense is the Habs, coached by three PK guys, Carbonneau, Gainey and Jarvis... Is this supposed to be more spectacular...

Closed Thread