OHL - OA Dissapointments ....

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2006, 07:11 AM
STS44

vCash: 500
OHL - OA Dissapointments ....

Hey - With the playoffs well underway we have seen some nice performances by
the overagers who have stepped up like they should be doing at this time of year. Adam Dennis in London and Jeff Kyrzakos is Owen Sound come to mind right away. Who have been the busts - the OA's that just didn't work out and the team made a mistake in keeping a spot open for them? Frank Rediker in London comes to mind right away. With his history of injuries it was just a matter of time before it would happen again and sure enough it did. How many times was he out this year and still is? Wouldn't that OA spot been better used on another veteran d'man - not neccesarily someone who played for London last season - but someone who was dependable and steady for whatever team he played for and perhaps played a touger physical game. That is what they could be using right about now. Josh Disher in Erie is another that didn't quite work out ....

Old
04-15-2006, 08:11 AM
JrHockeyFan

Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS44
Hey - With the playoffs well underway we have seen some nice performances by
the overagers who have stepped up like they should be doing at this time of year. Adam Dennis in London and Jeff Kyrzakos is Owen Sound come to mind right away. Who have been the busts - the OA's that just didn't work out and the team made a mistake in keeping a spot open for them? Frank Rediker in London comes to mind right away. With his history of injuries it was just a matter of time before it would happen again and sure enough it did. How many times was he out this year and still is? Wouldn't that OA spot been better used on another veteran d'man - not neccesarily someone who played for London last season - but someone who was dependable and steady for whatever team he played for and perhaps played a touger physical game. That is what they could be using right about now. Josh Disher in Erie is another that didn't quite work out ....
It is hard to deny that Rediker has been an OA bust. In fact, I was sure when they were getting to the trade deadline they were going to move him for whatever.

On the other hand, the hit he took behind the play that hyper-extended his elbow was pretty bad. This wasn't one of those "turn a bad knee" kind of things. He came down headfirst.

But you can't deny that his OA year has been a bust . . . .so far

Old
04-15-2006, 08:31 AM
CharlieGirl

Two words.... Ryan Donnally.

At least the player Kitchener picked up when they finally released him was worthwhile (Corey Konecny).

Old
04-15-2006, 12:56 PM
STS44

No denying Frank Redikers last injury was serious and a tough break .... I too thought they would move him out and bring in someone who maybe wasn't playing much in the minor leagues - kinda like Luch Aquino in returning to Brampton. Guess hockey like life in general is full of good breaks and bad - unfortunately this is one that has hurt the team as they could have fulfilled a vital need with someone who would have been in the lineup every game .... Who knows when/if Rediker will come back and if he does how long will he remain healthy ....

Old
04-15-2006, 01:13 PM
JrHockeyFan

Well

Quote:
No denying Frank Redikers last injury was serious and a tough break .... I too thought they would move him out and bring in someone who maybe wasn't playing much in the minor leagues - kinda like Luch Aquino in returning to Brampton. Guess hockey like life in general is full of good breaks and bad - unfortunately this is one that has hurt the team as they could have fulfilled a vital need with someone who would have been in the lineup every game .... Who knows when/if Rediker will come back and if he does how long will he remain healthy ....
When the Knights dealt McCready/Ferry for Pelech it kind of threw me for a loop. I am happy they have Pelech but it seemed a strange move with rediker in and out of the lineup. They were down to 5 D guys at one point there and Pelech hurt.

If Rediker comes back and helps that group move the puck out of the zone more reliably, it will be worth having him around.

I feel sorry for the kid. The last couple of years have been very unkind to him while the team has prospered. He seems like a decent sort of guy when interviewed.

Old
04-17-2006, 12:56 PM
London Knights

I would argue that Rediker isn't really having a disappointing OA season because this has really been the status quo for the guy. He has talent, but he is incredibly injury prone and I just don't see how he lasts much longer in the game. Why Boston picked him so high I will never know.

Old
04-17-2006, 04:36 PM
STS44

Hey - Agreed. Didn't really understand why they used an OA spot for him in the first place with his history of injuryies. I hear he is ready to play on Thursday or Friday,so lets hope the faith the Hunters placed in him is rewarded with some great play. Can't see Boston offering more than a minor league contract if that and they certainly won't keep him around for long if the injuries continue ....

Old
04-17-2006, 07:44 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmmm

Quote:
Hey - Agreed. Didn't really understand why they used an OA spot for him in the first place with his history of injuryies. I hear he is ready to play on Thursday or Friday,so lets hope the faith the Hunters placed in him is rewarded with some great play. Can't see Boston offering more than a minor league contract if that and they certainly won't keep him around for long if the injuries continue ....
I am not sure but I think the Bruin's rights have lapsed.

Old
04-17-2006, 10:43 PM
London Knights

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
I am not sure but I think the Bruin's rights have lapsed.
They have, but he would be worth a minor league tryout if you have the room maybe in the ECHL. He's big and pretty mobile. If he ever got healthy he could realize some of his potential and be a low pairing guy or a top 4 AHLer. That being said I just don't see how he ever does that.

Old
04-18-2006, 03:13 AM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
Rediker isn't worth putting the name on the back of the jersey... for reason I can't explain on here... The biggest disappointment in Rediker is cause if the knights knew about Kell being a top Dman, Rediker would be LONG gone and team favorite Kelly Thompson would be on the knights and he is perfect for a OA a true leader, plays tough and is willing to do anything for the teams win... He should be playing for the Knights instead of Rediker wasting a roster spot... In fact a couple days after his season was finished with the Generals he was hired by the knights as the Assistant of the Assistant GM of the Knights!!!!!

Old
04-18-2006, 06:59 AM
STS44

Good point about Kelly Thompson - they could use his toughness. I'm sure they only let him go to Oshawa as a courtesy to get him some playing time. Anyone think Kell will be back next year as an OA? And a d'man if that does by some chance happen?

Old
04-18-2006, 12:37 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
I bet the OA's next year are Kell, Drummond and Martenelli... if Halasz stays over here I wouldnt mind him instead...

Old
04-19-2006, 08:08 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT
I bet the OA's next year are Kell, Drummond and Martenelli... if Halasz stays over here I wouldnt mind him instead...
That is the list I expect. As for halasz, I think he did a pretty good job earning himself extra minutes. Unfortunately, I think martinelli regressed a bit. He is a big kid though and on the whole he is miles ahead of last year.

Old
04-19-2006, 09:27 PM
STS44

If Kell returns as an OA does he play defense or forward though?

Closed Thread